scared of potatoes,noodles and rice

13»

Replies

• cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    I have pasta or rice and occasionally potato once a day for dinner, as long as you measure it out I wouldnt worry. Im a firm believer in portion control, I still have biscuits and chocolate almost daily if it fits into my diary! Just do what is effective for your body and what you are happiest eating, its all about lifestyle change, I know I wouldnt be able to maintain a no carb/ chocolate diet forever so I worked them in now so that when I reach my goal I hopefully won't go crazy on the stuff gain weight back :)
  • TiffCK
    TiffCK Posts: 37
    I have a baked potato many times a week. It's my go to dinner. I'm on a 1300 calorie diet, and since the rest of my food is pretty healthy, I am almost always below my carbs range. But I'm not a big fan of rice, and pasta is rare at my house. I'm a little scared of it, too.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    I'm not scared of them - but I've largely decided that I'd rather spend my carb calories elsewhere.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    I eat all of those on a weekly basis, sometimes several times a week. Ultimately it's calories in and calories out, not what the calories are made of. Focus on eating pretty healthy and getting adequate nutrition, the rest will fall into place.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    I stick to sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, plain oatmeal every morning, and brown rice. I have about one quarter of a cup. It does take longer for it to process, but that makes you feel fuller, longer. If your scared, substitute it with Cauliflower! Its amazing what you can do with it. Cauliflower RICE, cauliflower pizza crust, mashed cauliflower.. Google it. I love it.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    With pasta, the thing is, you can make them like this:
    74dbd27f-957a-4051-aecb-715b7d22ddfe.jpg

or like this

13489453670171948254.jpg

the difference being that the first one is a normal moderate portion where pasta takes up only half of the plate and test is vegetables, healthy olives and light mozzarella

whereas the second on is the typical americanized version of italian kitchen: a HUGE bunch of pasta with possibly greasy sauce on it that does not contain any vegetables. (and is totally boring also.)
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    With pasta, the thing is, you can make them like this:
    74dbd27f-957a-4051-aecb-715b7d22ddfe.jpg

or like this

13489453670171948254.jpg

the difference being that the first one is a normal moderate portion where pasta takes up only half of the plate and test is vegetables, healthy olives and light mozzarella

whereas the second on is the typical americanized version of italian kitchen: a HUGE bunch of pasta with possibly greasy sauce on it that does not contain any vegetables. (and is totally boring also.)

Now I want spaghetti - and not the healthy one either. :grumble:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    I like Eating Right Veggie Pasta now. It is made with veggies and its colorful.

I do limit my starch of potato, rice, and bread.

If I eat rice its brown rice.
    If I eat bread, its wheat.
    Sometimes I will have sweet potato vs the russet or white potato.

YES the white stuff is harder for your body to process and increases your blood sugar which causes another whole set of issues to deal with.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Should I be scared of potatoes,noodles and rice. I do use brown rice. These carbs. I have heard it takes them longer to break up and they store fat. Do ya eat these?

The starch in such foods is made up of long branching chains of glucose, which can cause blood sugar spikes if it breaks up and is dumped into the blood stream too quickly. I can't predict how your body will react, but if you want any of these foods in your future, I suggest cutting them out for a while and then adding them back one at a time. See how you do.

I did cut out "white carbs" for a while, and still can't eat russet potatoes (allergy, I think) but I was back to eating just about all of the other common starchy foods well before I reached my goal weight. No problem. The key for me was reconditioning myself to always, always, ALWAYS eat standard full sized servings of any and all high calorie foods I ate, including starches. If I want to super size something or go back for seconds it will be summer squash or asparagus, not rotini.