What time is the cut off for eating?

Options

Replies

• laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There is no cut off. I eat all my calories within 3 hours usually lol, never had lower body fat in my life. Your body really just doesn't give a crap when it gets food, as long as it does.

edit: it boggles my mind that so many people say "my doctor/nutrition/nursing friend said... [broscience here]". Is that garbage really in textbooks?
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I work some strange hours so my last meal is about 4 am or so.. I try and not eat anything at least 2 hours before I sleep.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    jamie eason (fitness trainer) says no carbs after 7pm

source please? I don't think she's that stupid but sometimes fitness models give advice that sells, even if they don't follow it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it does not matter...

eat when you are hungry ...don't eat when you are not hungry..simple..

this thread will now close.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jamie eason (fitness trainer) says no carbs after 7pm

source please? I don't think she's that stupid but sometimes fitness models give advice that sells, even if they don't follow it

no carbs after 7pm is a myth....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I was told by a friend who is also a nursing student that the body will usually turn excess calories into fat within hours of eating it. So people who eat large portion of their calories at night before bed are more likely to store excess cals as fat than people who eat smaller, earlier meals. I admit I was surprised, but I guess this is why people who eat bigger meals earlier in the day and people who stop eating earlier in the evening seem to have more success at losing weight on average.

I don't wanna say your friend is an idiot, but your friend is an idiot. Look at my diary. Dinner and snacks are all eaten between the hours of 6pm and the minute I go to bed.
    I have lost 88 pounds and maintaining(within a pound) since Oct 1 and have 10.4 % body fat. Sort of throws your friends theory out the proverbial window.

I eat most of my cals post workout which is usually 7pm and I have lost 3% body fat...this is bro science....
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I stop eating by about 23:50.

But only because I obsess about which day to log it on if I don't.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    There's no cutoff for eating. Eat when you're hungry and stay with your goals.

^^ THIS... listen to your body not to a clock on the wall
  • ndj1979
    Options
    amazing how everyone's matabolism is on the dot with time. who needs clocks? ;)

if your metabolism is on peak performance, a late LIGHT snack will not hurt you. in fact, it will keep your system primed while you sleep. best if you eat several small meals throughout the day.

if your metabolism is putzing along, you probably want to avoid eating anything after you've finished your dinner/supper. have fluids like water or tea to feel fuller.

just remember, these are all just suggestions. late meals might work for you, or they might not. see how your body responds. :)
    meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism.....

more bro science...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I never ever eat after 11:59:59 PM. I also never eat before 12:00:00 AM.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Cut off for eating? HAHA not me!
  • bitsyland
    Options
    I stop eating while I'm sleeping. It's messy and dangerous to eat while sleeping. Any other time is fair game.

Hahaha...your funny ::laugh: :laugh:
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    The time when you can't fit any more cals in your diary without going over is the cut-off. Or when your not hungry. Any other time, it's a green light.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    when my calorie/Macros goal has been met for the day.
    ^ That, or when you fall asleep. Whichever comes first.
    Yep, these are the answers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options

XD Brilliant.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i need a few hours before going to bed otherwise i get indigestion. i have stop snacking at night time now, just make sure i eat enough in the day
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I heard at 8 pm, your intestines shut down ;)

They are union, depending on what state you live in
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I go to sleep as I don't want to choke. Calories can't tell time.
  • LovelyLeeAnn
    Options
    I believe there really is not set time we should stop eating. I have read that it is not good to eat at night. I have a tendency to believe otherwise. Myfitnesspal is set up in a day by day plan so that would mean whatever you eat in one day would be recorded and one day ends at 12am and the other day starts. We all have set goals and that means only eating a certain amount of calories per day depending on how we answered a certain amount of questions. Calories end in one day and you start your new calories the next day therefore at midnight you will be starting the next day and continuing to record your set calories for that day. I feel as long as you are achieving your set calories and exercising then your cut off would be at midnight for the next day. I hope this has been helpful... SMILE
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    My cut off time for eating is also one of two times: Either when I've reached my calorie limit or when I lose consciousness.