Broscience

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I often hear the term thrown around here as broscience.

People will often quote a few studies stating what they are saying is true because they have a study showing XYZ shows that ABC happens.

They often feel that this outweighs any other evidence to the contrary and if its not in a study, it actually means nothing.

However a vast majority of these studies are not what one would call relevant to the subject matter in hand. For instance, does uptake of nutrients between someone of 10% body fat correlate with someone of 40% bodyfat? Would the protein synthesis of someone who trains as a bodybuilder/athlete be consistent with a general everyday person, let alone an old man like i have seen with some studies?

Now I like anyone likes studies to base my opinion on, but often I feel people here are too quick to judge an aspect they have very little knowledge on beyond reading a few studies that may or may not have any correlation to the matter they are comparing them to.

Your thoughts?

do you have any studies to back this opinion up :D:D:D

good point, well made, sir.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    This:
    ... I often think there's too much focus on minuti and not the important things like adequate sleep/rest/consistent training etc.

I believe it has to be your own journey with your own beliefs.

Any time someone cites a study, there's usually a response of "correlation does not equal causation", but I would also suggest that "correlation MAY CONTRIBUTE to causation". Not for the minuti of IIFYM, but for larger concepts like getting enough sleep, eating breakfast, etc.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Broscience is less about misusing actual scientific research. It's more generally the ignorance or actual *rejection* of scientific research in favor of "I'm bigger than you; your science is stupid bro."

Or, in cases where there is no scientific evidence, "I'm bigger than you; I don't need science bro."
  • jonnythan
    I'll also note that the OP is an employee of a supplement company.

He therefore has financial incentive in promoting products and methods that do not necessarily have any evidentiary basis whatsoever. He also has a financial incentive to be big, because it helps him sell/promote the company's product.

I'll let the readers draw their own conclusions.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member

A lot of this came from the OP telling a female who enjoyed running and cycling, and was preparing for some races in the coming months, to do absolutely no cardio whatsoever and lift instead. The rationale, which I called broscience, was that cardio could be added later to create a bigger calorie deficit. That is broscience. It's nonsensical, detrimental to the person's goals, and is based on faulty reasoning.

Ever since I said that, the OP has been complaining about being called "broscience" all over the forum.

somehow i doubt Patrick Makau will be taking that sort of advice lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

I think the Earth is round and I have heard it revolves around the Sun. Still not sure though....looking for valid references.

Watch a ship go over the horizon. Notice how it disappears from the bottom first, then the top? First question proven.

Watch the sun set. Then watch it rise the next day. Second question proven.

Try again.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    “Bro science: a term used by the scientific and pseudo-scientific community to try to discredit people who often have more experience and better results, but may not be able to argue as well about unimportant things on the internet.”

I think the best combination is experience and knowledge (obviously) If I had to pick between the two I would take experience for the simple reason that exercise and nutritional science is still a relatively new field and is filled with limitations - for now that is...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    A lot of this came from the OP telling a female who enjoyed running and cycling, and was preparing for some races in the coming months, to do absolutely no cardio whatsoever and lift instead. The rationale, which I called broscience, was that cardio could be added later to create a bigger calorie deficit. That is broscience. It's nonsensical, detrimental to the person's goals, and is based on faulty reasoning.

Ever since I said that, the OP has been complaining about being called "broscience" all over the forum.

Get over yourself, this is nothing to do with you, nor that thread.

And my comments were based on that thread were in general, not about telling a cyclist to stop training. It is an often used tool too burn fat when dieting down not to throw all ones tools for fat loss in at the beginning but to do so gradually as fat loss slowed.

If it came across that I was referring to the cyclist or that I had not made this clear then obviously my mistake.
    Broscience is less about misusing actual scientific research. It's more generally the ignorance or actual *rejection* of scientific research in favor of "I'm bigger than you; your science is stupid bro."

Or, in cases where there is no scientific evidence, "I'm bigger than you; I don't need science bro."

No, its a term that I've seen misused everywhere, nothing special about my debate with you. Get over yourself!
    I'll also note that the OP is an employee of a supplement company.

He therefore has financial incentive in promoting products and methods that do not necessarily have any evidentiary basis whatsoever. He also has a financial incentive to be big, because it helps him sell/promote the company's product.

I'll let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Openly so about being an employee, nothing hidden. I've never denied it and it is openly stated on my profile. However you statements, are completely false. I don't have nor need to use MFP, its not contracted nor is it needed for me to do.

I do because I enjoy helping people and then hearing of their results, nothing more.

I don't charge nor do I ask for anything on MFP. I don't make a penny from posting on MFP. Heck if the company makes 10,000 more sales from my posting here, I wouldn't see a penny, I don't get a financial reward from it.
  • bostonwolf
    Matt,

The technical term for this sort of thing is cognitive bias. When people believe something they will go out of their way to discredit things that would negate that belief and accept things that would appear to confirm it.
  • bostonwolf

Again, for the most part when I see someone who has actually had some results in the gym and can articulate the hows and whys of those results, I'm more inclined to listen to him than to someone who boasts about eating like **** and running just to maintain where he is right now.

As you said, readers can draw their own conclusions. I know I've drawn mine.
  • jonnythan

Again, for the most part when I see someone who has actually had some results in the gym and can articulate the hows and whys of those results, I'm more inclined to listen to him than to someone who boasts about eating like **** and running just to maintain where he is right now.

As you said, readers can draw their own conclusions. I know I've drawn mine.

So which of the tens of thousands of trainers do you listen to? Whichever one you heard last?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Matt, one the onne hand I see your point. Lot's of brosciece accusations flying around and lot's of questionable study info posted.

On the other hand, what is the best way to combat the myriad of myths that get posted as fact on here 100x per day? While studies might no be perfect, there are certainly a step in the right directions from "the trainer at the gym said" or "I read in ladies home journal" or something from a Liverstrong article or Wikipedia.

How much foolishness and time wasting nonsense goes up here every day? And if not studies, how would you propose countering it?
  • Well, it can get worse. They can be quoting Dr. Oz...

My mother now drinks protein shakes (on top of a healthy and complete diet, with her only exercise being walking) because Dr. Oz said it improves bone density in women.

I tell her she shouldn't be drinking that stuff if she refuses the touch even a 0.5kg dumbbell... But hey, Dr. Oz knows better... If only Dr. Oz where there to listen to her complain when she gains weight...
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Ain't nothin wrong with a lil broscience
  • Matt_Wild
    jonnythan - where do you get your views from? I've read a number of your responses and a vast majority seem to agree with what I believe, you however seem 110% sure your views are the only valid ones.

Why is this? What makes you so sure?

FWIW you make some very good points in a lot of your points, why so much anger and name calling and so many put downs to those who have opinions that may conflict with your own, even if they perhaps cannot name each individual source?

I read a huge amount of data and I'm sure I cannot tell you every single source of information I read, it doesn't make the information I am giving any less valid.

Your thoughts?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    can i have 2 slices of cake for lunch instead of a regular meal? hurry, i need to know!!!
  • bostonwolf
    I look for new ideas, I look for strategies that are sound based on what I've learned from 20+ years in the weight room (admittedly on and off.)

If I feel like it will work for me, I try it. If it works, I stick with it. While I'm not lifting right now as I'm training for a 5k, before that I read up on full body workouts, particularly one that was similar to the Stronglifts 5x5 workout. I had never lifted that heavy on a consistent basis and rarely had done a full body workout.

I tried it and my strength improved quickly and dramatically. That added to the time saving over a split routine convinced me that this the way to go.

See, I'm capable of absorbing information from multiple sources and synthesizing it based on research and personal experience.

In regards to diet, I had started to realize that as I lessened the amounts of grains I ate, I felt healthier and had more consistent energy throughout the day. I just happened to check out Tim Ferriss' Four Hour Body from the library, read about his Slow Carb diet and decided to give it a try. Eliminating grains six days a week works for me.

Eating at Taco Bell might work for you, that's fine. But it also involves you blatantly disregarding the science that tells us that eating fast food is horrible for our bodies. You know this, yet choose to eat processed foods anyways.

Broscience at work for you, no?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan - where do you get your views from? I've read a number of your responses and a vast majority seem to agree with what I believe, you however seem 110% sure your views are the only valid ones.

No, I absolutely don't believe 110% that my views are the only valid ones. Quite the contrary.

I am, however, highly skeptical of people saying things that don't make sense, where the only evidence is "look how much bigger I am than you."

Anyway, my views come from all sorts of places. Research studies (Pubmed, NIH, NEJM, etc), Aragon, Wendler, Rippetoe, physicians, textbooks, etc.
    FWIW you make some very good points in a lot of your points, why so much anger and name calling and so many put downs to those who have opinions that may conflict with your own, even if they perhaps cannot name each individual source?

Anger? Name calling? Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you're confusing me with someone else?

I don't call anyone names and I don't put anyone down. I absolutely do question claims that have zero evidence, especially if they're given as recommendations contrary to someone's goals.
  • bostonwolf
    And pretty much what I've seen from Matt is "this is what I do, this is why I think it works for me. Give it a try." I can take that at face value and make decisions on whether to use it or not on my own.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt, one the onne hand I see your point. Lot's of brosciece accusations flying around and lot's of questionable study info posted.

On the other hand, what is the best way to combat the myriad of myths that get posted as fact on here 100x per day? While studies might no be perfect, there are certainly a step in the right directions from "the trainer at the gym said" or "I read in ladies home journal" or something from a Liverstrong article or Wikipedia.

How much foolishness and time wasting nonsense goes up here every day? And if not studies, how would you propose countering it?

Is it a step in the right direction?

I see supplement companies do it all the time on small scale studies and also the same here - is there really a difference?

In the same vein, should we all be following the "The China Study" since it was a vast and detailed study over 20-30 years with various outlined benefits, simply because it is a study showing consuming plants over animals suggests overall improved health and life expectancy?