Broscience

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I'll also note that the OP is an employee of a supplement company.

He therefore has financial incentive in promoting products and methods that do not necessarily have any evidentiary basis whatsoever. He also has a financial incentive to be big, because it helps him sell/promote the company's product.

I'll let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Yes, the OP is a bodybuilding professional but I fail to see what that has to do with anything. He takes time out of his day to offer advice to people that are seeking it and every time I see him around the boards he is respectful, courteous, and generous with his time, which are 3 things no one is going to accuse me of. To question his integrity based on how he earns his living is patently absurd. His post wasn't about pimping his sponsor's products. He was simply stating how it's come to the point where people don't accept information unless it's linked to a study that was conducted last the day before yesterday.

This was a personal attack that was way out of line. It's really unfair because your credentials can't be questioned, since you don't have any at all.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    You asked for links regarding the health consequences of fast food.

That's not what I asked for. Go back and reread.

Thats is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone here really need links to studies which validate that fast food is bad for us? Do we need a Morgan Spurlock documentary before some people believe eating fast food all day every day might be bad for us?

Well I guess some people do. And that is sad. So I guess Broscience is. Damn I ate Monster Thickburgers all week long and after I ate one each time I felt so horrible. At the end of the week I gained 5lbs and 1% body fat. I also lost 25 lbs on my squat. But Im still not convinced that food is bad because there hasnt been any scientific evidence yet to prove it.

I guess the same people need warning labels that say "This Coffee Is Hot" before they drink it also.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I thought it was just a new term for old wives' tales.

I think my favorite version is when folks cite unrelated statistics and draw illogical conclusions from them. Then, when people ask or citations, they link to each of the individual statistics, as if that proved some kind of correlation which in turn proved causation. Double fallacy win!
  • You can find anything you want by conducting a study. All it takes is the right test pool and you've got yourself the results you are looking for. It doesn't matter what one "study" says because 99.9% of the time you will find a "study" that claims something completely different to be true... The only constant about science, is it is always being proven wrong by itself.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd watch Bro Science if it was a show on the Science Channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO2azb3_PE

"Brotege", LMAO.

It was worth watching for that word alone.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Thats is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone here really need links to studies which validate that fast food is bad for us?

Well, yes, if you want to lay out a blanket statement that anything from any fast food company is bad for you, even if fits into your calorie, protein, and fat goals for the day.

Yeah, eating 3000 calories of hamburgers every day is bad for you. But that doesn't mean having one hamburger is bad for you.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    You can find anything you want by conducting a study. All it takes is the right test pool and you've got yourself the results you are looking for. It doesn't matter what one "study" says because 99.9% of the time you will find a "study" that claims something completely different to be true... The only constant about science, is it is always being proven wrong by itself.

If you're doing it right, your results can be tested and verified. The fitness industry is chock full of "studies" that are little more than marketing gimmicks, as you say, with methodology that is stacked to give the results the manufacturers want-- but it's just crap science. You can't make good science say anything you want.
  • K_Serz
    Thats is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone here really need links to studies which validate that fast food is bad for us?

Well, yes, if you want to lay out a blanket statement that anything from any fast food company is bad for you, even if fits into your calorie, protein, and fat goals for the day.

Yeah, eating 3000 calories of hamburgers every day is bad for you. But that doesn't mean having one hamburger is bad for you.

Is it? No way, what you are saying here is Broscience. Where are your studies to show this?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    it's common knowledge that anybody who benches over 200, squats over 300 and deadlifts 300+ is on gear and the drugs do all the work for them.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I've seen some pretty legit stuff on here get termed, "broscience". That's the main reason I stay clear of commenting. You would think after losing 70 lbs, going from 46% bodyfat to 29% and getting my health cholesterol and sugar under control that I would know a little about a 30 year old overweight woman attempting to lose weight and fat, build muscle and increase fitness. However, according to a few jerk individuals on these forums, the fact that I am now a certified pt, worked with 2 trainers, am dating a chiropractor/power lifter and have read 100's of scholarly studies on my own means absolutely nothing.

According to most people here.. u only need to lift heavy- whether u have lifting experience or not, regardless if your stability and endurance can handle it, and nothing else factors in. According to most people here- what you eat doesn't matter as long as u stay under your tdee to lose weight and keep your protein at 1 gram per lb of lean body weight. According to most people here you can't gain muscle unless you eat over your calories.

So all of this ^^^^ true in circumstances and with certain individuals but not true for everyone. So why are we so quick to discredit people with results b/c how we did it was different?? People here are so rude. But hey, I can put the knowledge I worked hard for here for them, or I can share it with friends and family, and clients who know me, my results and respect it.

Just my thoughts.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    the science that tells us that eating fast food is horrible for our bodies.

Got a link to the study that says a flour tortilla that has some ground beef, lettuce, and processed cheese in it is "horrible for our bodies"?

i had fast food yesterday. it was so good!

I had fast food this weekend as well, but I don't lie to myself about what kind of crap I'm eating and how good or bad it is for me.

i get that, but lets be honest. unlest your amish eating off your own farm, pretty much everything we eat is crap. fruits and veggies are gown with chemicals to make them ripen faster for sale, poisons sprayed all over them to detour bugs, meat is full of hormones... there is nothing pure and natural anymore unless your growing it or raising it yourself. wether i eat a fast food burrito or a homemade burrito, chances are, im going to eventually die of cancer or in a car accident. untill then... all i can do cross my fingers and watch my calories..

^Kinda sad but very true! Haha. Of course I aim to eat "healthy" more often than "unhealthy" but it's not like we can just all have our own personal farms and generate everything we need to eat and have it be 100% organic AND affordable. Fortunately though, our systems have evolved to filter out some of that processed crap and still keep us functioning fine :)
  • K_Serz
    So all of this ^^^^ true in circumstances and with certain individuals but not true for everyone. So why are we so quick to discredit people with results b/c how we did it was different?? People here are so rude.

Because it conflicts with what they believe what it takes to be successful. Because obviously theres only 1 way to succeed and thats THEIR way. I love your post. In fact I love all posts where people use their own individual personal success stories.

Earlier in this thread someone commented on trainers using Broscience and I was like ummmmm yeah. Okay, I guess you dont need to be certified to be a trainer anymore? Seems legit.
    But hey, I can put the knowledge I worked hard for here for them, or I can share it with friends and family, and clients who know me, my results and respect it.
    Just my thoughts.

^^Please keep doing this right there. There will always continue to be naysayers and its their way or nothing.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

Thats is kind of ridiculous. Does anyone here really need links to studies which validate that fast food is bad for us? Do we need a Morgan Spurlock documentary before some people believe eating fast food all day every day might be bad for us?

Eating fast food all day wasn't bad for this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxpb7TJ7cQ
    Down Size Me, released in 2005, is a documentary film produced by James Troost, and written by and starring Chazz Weaver. The film, which won a Newport Beach Film Festival Award, documents Chazz’s 30 day McDonald’s only diet, a project he undertook to debunk popular notions about fast food such as “it will make you fat”.

The film illustrates how Chazz Weaver lost 8 pounds of body fat, improved his cholesterol, and maintained his six pack abs while only eating McDonald’s for 30 days straight.
  • K_Serz

Down Size Me, released in 2005, is a documentary film produced by James Troost, and written by and starring Chazz Weaver. The film, which won a Newport Beach Film Festival Award, documents Chazz’s 30 day McDonald’s only diet, a project he undertook to debunk popular notions about fast food such as “it will make you fat”.

The film illustrates how Chazz Weaver lost 8 pounds of body fat, improved his cholesterol, and maintained his six pack abs while only eating McDonald’s for 30 days straight.

I guess you didnt see the shirt he was working out in? This was paid for and sponsored by MCDONALDS. LMAO

I also dont recall Morgan Spurlock working out once during his 30 days.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117412391&page=1

Perfect post for the Broscience topic and Fast Food Hypotheses
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You can find anything you want by conducting a study. All it takes is the right test pool and you've got yourself the results you are looking for. It doesn't matter what one "study" says because 99.9% of the time you will find a "study" that claims something completely different to be true... The only constant about science, is it is always being proven wrong by itself.

If you're doing it right, your results can be tested and verified. The fitness industry is chock full of "studies" that are little more than marketing gimmicks, as you say, with methodology that is stacked to give the results the manufacturers want-- but it's just crap science. You can't make good science say anything you want.

At some point, critical thinking is not an unreasonable requirement. I am consistently surprised at how often that is discounted.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I would like to drop my body fat % from 10 to 6 and maintain as much of my lean body mass as possible. How is this best acheived? Please site peer reviewed articles as sources...
  • jonnythan

I guess you didnt see the shirt he was working out in? This was paid for and sponsored by MCDONALDS. LMAO

So let me ask you something: say someone is losing weight while lifting and doing cardio. Do you think that his health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical?
  • You asked for links regarding the health consequences of fast food.

So let me ask you something: say someone is losing weight while lifting and doing cardio. Do you think that his health, strength, or composition would be worse if he did substituted in a fast food meal once a day for whatever you consider a "clean" meal, provided the macros are all identical?

This thread began as a thread about broscience and wound up being about you being too proud to admit that eating fast food isn't ideal lol.... amazing
  • jonnythan

This thread began as a thread about broscience and wound up being about you being too proud to admit that eating fast food isn't ideal lol.... amazing

It's actually on topic, because a common form of broscience is to avoid certain foods for nebulous or spurious reasons. For instance, "fast food is automatically bad for you" is indeed broscience.
  • K_Serz

To answer you honestly ..... NOPE

Just because a piece of meat has 21g of protein, 8 grams of fat etc. Is just a part of the equation. Health wise, do you want your body to consume all the steroids and pharmaceutical drugs that the Cow was shot up with? Unfortunately myfitnesspal doesnt track that. You can ignore the fact that the beef consumed may have been injected with these hormones. And whether you think the cow is "organic" or not would you take the chance? Europe hasnt. Which is why American Beef treated with hormones is banned there.

Just because you look great on the outside, doesnt mean the inside looks so good. I was stationed with a 1stSgt Recon Marine who could out PT just about anyone on these forums. He wound up having 3 heart attacks. Goooooo Broscience!