"Married" but not "MARRIED"

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    just curious as to the reasoning of why not.

Just to toss it back. Why did you choose to get married instead of just living together? Why did you "have" to get married? Frankly, I care less about your relationship status than most people care about mine. Just wanted to illustrate that not everyone views marriage as the ultimate end-goal for a relationship. So while you question why we don't get married, I question why you did.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Ive known a few couples that aren't getting married due to tax reasons. And it seems we may be seeing more of this due to the new tax laws.
  • I know couples who refer to themselves as being married, but aren't actually married because they live in places where they're not legally allowed to get married.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    PS, call me a rebel, but I just don't have a relationship status on FB. I don't have hometown, either.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    PS, call me a rebel, but I just don't have a relationship status on FB. I don't have hometown, either.

I've never had a relationship status listed on FB either. I don't understood the need to broadcast the beginning or end of a relationship to everyone you know. If I were to get dumped, I really wouldn't want to tell 400 people that I went from being in a relationship to being single.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Religious and personal beliefs drive it mostly. Governmental tax benefits didn't come until more recent years, if that was your angle.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    just curious as to the reasoning of why not.

Let it go. It is really not your business. Ignore facebook. There are too many other things to think about than other people relationship status.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Not interested in being married at all! I dont see the point. I've got a career and can take care of myself.
  • I was enjoying life ... but fancied a change!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Religious and personal beliefs drive it mostly. Governmental tax benefits didn't come until more recent years, if that was your angle.

this. been living together as married for over 20 years, co-own everything, but no real reason to get married, we're both atheists, and we don't have children, besides, the tax benefits are far greater by staying single.
  • what i fail to understand is why when someone is curious of a topic, so many people reply with either to mind your own business or why do you care?

what's is so wrong with the OP wanting open discussion to gain some perspective? she's not using the question to poke or jab at people. she's just looking for some dialogue to better understand people with different ideals.
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    My GF and I are living together and share a bank account, but we're not married.

1, we both had bad marriages before and we're not anxious to throw ourselves back in that meat grinder.

2, her daughter accepts me and we get along fine, but she had a father for 14 years before he shot himself. She's NOT ready for her mom to marry someone else.

3, Neither of us needs a piece of paper to tell us that we're committed to each other.

Nuff said.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    It's a bunch of bologni... all the reasons people list why they do not get married. Truth is, one of them or both think " I am not willing to commit to this person. There could be someone better for me". It is less complicated to walk away from someone who you are not legally bound to.

I think it is very foolish to share your life, give away yourself to someone who is not willing to take it seriously and commit. Or selfish be the one who uses other person for convenience. Certain things are created to be enjoyed only within marriage and if outside of it, it will not bring blessing. We have all these broken up relationships in recent 70 or so years, when people starting to practice cohabitation. Does not look like it is working, is it?
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    It's a bunch of boloni...all the reasons why couple does not get married. truth is one of them or both think " I am not willing to commit to this person". It is less complicated to walk away form someone who you are not legally bound to.

I think it is very foolish to share your life, give away yourself to someone who is not willing to take it seriously and commit. Or be the one who uses other person for convenience. Certain things are created to be enjoyed within marriage and if outside of it, it will not bring blessing.

so because i don't have a legal document, i don't enjoy my "marriage"? there's your baloney.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member

this. been living together as married for over 20 years, co-own everything, but no real reason to get married, we're both atheists, and we don't have children, besides, the tax benefits are far greater by staying single.

^ Exactly the same with my relationship except it's been just over 10 years. Looking at a $10k/year tax penalty makes it ideal to stay single at the moment. Plus, we are atheists with no children (or plans to). We are officially engaged in real life (for over 5 years now) and on Facebook status so I have a piece of jewelry to wear and a title with significance over "boyfriend". I do jokingly refer to him as "my hubby" quite a bit.

(Just to clarify, the tax penalty I'm referring to is not an earned income credit. Paying taxes on our combined income would be $10k more per year over what we pay as two singles.)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    It's a bunch of boloni...all the reasons why couple does not get married. truth is one of them or both think " I am not willing to commit to this person". It is less complicated to walk away form someone who you are not legally bound to.

I think it is very foolish to share your life, give away yourself to someone who is not willing to take it seriously and commit. Or be the one who uses other person for convenience. Certain things are created to be enjoyed within marriage and if outside of it, it will not bring blessing.

That's your opinion. I respectfully disagree.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

so because i don't have a legal document, i don't enjoy my "marriage"? there's your baloney.

I think she's referring to us sinners who have sex outside out marriage? I enjoy my non-marriage just fine, I don't think it needs to be blessed.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    what i fail to understand is why when someone is curious of a topic, so many people reply with either to mind your own business or why do you care?

what's is so wrong with the OP wanting open discussion to gain some perspective? she's not using the question to poke or jab at people. she's just looking for some dialogue to better understand people with different ideals.

Ok. I can understand the perspective thing but why? I never really thought about why someone would or wouldn't get married let alone why they would say they're married if they're not. I know plenty of people who are in committed relationships, not married yet say they are because it's just easier.

Um, right. I don't really think so. My husband and I weren't going to get married. We were committed to each other but just didn't really want to get married. We had joint accounts. We bought things together so even not married if things didn't work out it still would could have been as ugly as a divorce because of the shared assets. Not being married doesn't make the relationship any less complicated.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Never getting married unless the law changes so I can protect my assets.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I wanted to throw a huge party and wear a pretty dress. That's why I got married.