Ladies..scared of BIRTH CONTROL!

Options
I have had HORRIBLE issues gaining weight while on birth control in the past..I gained about twenty pounds when I had that thing in my arm. I am now starting back up with a pill. I am SCARED TO DEATH to gain weight (I have been trying so hard!) I know it's better then having a babes at the moment, but still. How is it working for you?

P.S. I am starting "Aviane"

Replies

• MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been on ortho-cyclen for the past 4-5 mos. I haven't gained any weight. Maybe try the mini pill (progesterone only pill) I believe the side effects are minimal. You'll have to be diligent about taking it at the same time everyday though.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The pill doesn't make you gain weight. A calorie surplus does.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight because it makes me nauseous! However, vomiting is not a recommended way to control your weight.

There are many alternatives out there, hormones just aren't for everyone.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd rather gain 20lbs of fat then 8lbs of infant, but that's just me.

Have you spoken to your doctor about weight gain? or considered non-hormonal alternatives?
  • gettingfitx
    Options
    Lol, that's why I am getting back on! I have but we decided we would try this first.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I miss birth control. My skin had never been clearer. I didn't have crazy monthly food cravings or extreme mood swings. And I was pretty much cramp free. I went off last april to see if it was the cause of low labido (it wasn't). And OMG I didn't realize how much birth control regulated me. I'm looking to go back on for the clear skin alone, but don't know which to go with. I was on yaz but want to try something else. p.s. I didn't gain while on it, that I can remember.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The pill doesn't make you gain weight. A calorie surplus does.

This! Taking a pill cannot magically create fat on your body. The BC does not cause fat gain itself.

Does it cause water retention due to hormones? Yes. That will show up on the scale. Is it fat weight, no.

Does it mess with your hormones causing you to feel hungrier than normal? It sure can.

Does it mess with your hormones and sometimes make it where you dont have the energy to workout? I'm sure it can.

Ultimately, taking a pill will not cause you to gain fat.

I've been on Aleese for a while (with my old Pharmacy they gave me Avaine). It has not made any difference in my weight loss... at least no difference that wasn't caused by me.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Condoms are great and no hormones! :love:
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love my IUD, definitely no weight gain from it.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Depo shot and have been for about 4 years now. I love it! :D I really can't blame my weight gain on the shot, it was all me! :x
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lo Loestrin is mine; it helps my skin and I believe is one of the lower hormone pills(I know its lower than Loestrin at least, hence the name).
    I have not had a weight gain from this pill; before this I was on portia and felt hungrier and gained weight; I am hesitant to blame this on the pill because with will power it wouldn't have happened lol.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have the Paragard IUD, and it is awesome for me.

I was on birth control pills for several years, and I did feel hungry and tired most of that time. It felt awesome for me to get off of them.
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    When a side effect of weight gain is listed on birth control pills, you'll often find that the official finding are averages of less than five pounds a year. Ask your doctor about the actual weight gain risk.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've tried both Orthocyclen and Ortho cyclen-low ( I use the generic... Sprintec and Tri Nessa) for over 12 years and no problems! I can't remember the difference between the two but the both have worked great.

Its actually helped with my pimples and oil production on my face. :) Also, I NEVER get cramps or PMS. I've been off of them for a couple months once or twice in the 12 years and noticed a HUGE difference in pimples and moods (I got really emo and pimples popped up really bad)... however NEVER weight gain.

A coworker and my sister both got the matchstick in their arms and each gained 20-30 lbs. :( Also, most of my friends who get the shot have gained at least 15 lbs. :( I'm not sure about the type of pill you are taking, however if that ends up not working after a few months dont be afraid to try another type of pill.

I'm a big fan of the pill! Hope it works for you, but DO NOT be afraid of weight gain on it. Be worried with the matchstick and shot.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I took birth control pills years ago (sorry, I can't remember what brand; its just what they had at the health clinic) and I gained 40 pounds, had terrible migraines that would last for days, and developed benign tumors in my breasts. I am pretty sure the 40 pounds wasn't the fault of the pill; I had gone through a major lifestyle transition and a combination of eating more junk food and not being nearly as active as I had been before going on the pill are the reasons I gained 40 pounds. However as soon as I stopped taking birth control my migraines immediately stopped. Doctors said the tumors are fatty lumps that developed as a result of hormone fluctuations. Now my partner and I use non-hormonal forms of prevention and I stay away from hormone therapy; I don't think it is right for me.
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    im on yasmin and i didnt gain weight on it..
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I have been on the patch and gained weight, but switched to the pill(which I've steadily been on the past year) and had no problems with weight gain at all.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I take Nora-b and have had no weight gain because if the pill. It's a mini pill. Draw backs ... Does not regulate your TOM. You must take it within a couple of hours at the same time everyday. If you don't you need to use a back up method for the next 48 hours.
  • SweetCrumb
    SweetCrumb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think you're talking about the implanon implant :)
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that birth controls can really mess with your body. They throw your hormone balances out. Hormones don't just control fertility. I was on the pill for several years, lost all sex drive completely and it has been suggested that they contributed to me developing chronic fatigue syndrome.

I know these symptoms won't occur for most people but they do for some and doctors don't make you aware of this.