Daily 600 net calories, no weight lost. What's wrong?

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You are probably sensitive to carbohydrates. Just lower your carbohydrates and increase protein and fat.
    Dear lord, strong first post.

No, no, and no. OP, like others have said, you're simply not feeding your body enough and it's rebelling against you. Weight loss isn't about starving your body.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yikes! How do you even have the energy to type this post?! Goodness girl - EAT!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I ate nearly 600 calories for lunch today. :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Let me attempt to elucidate on what everyone is trying to tell you.

First off, weight loss isn't just about the numbers. There are other factors to consider. The body is designed to protect itself from the damage of starvation (no, I'm not referring to starvation mode). These mechanisms are generally triggered by extreme calorie deficits for long periods of time. This is true for everyone. People who are starting at only an overweight BMI have a tendency to trigger these mechanisms much sooner than someone with an obese BMI.

What happens is that the body will generate hormones that will either make you feel hungry all the time, forcing you to eat more, or will cause you to burn calories more efficiently, thus reducing your body's caloric requirements to meet your caloric intake.

I strongly advise that you reconsider your calorie goal settings. For someone at your BMI, 2 lbs a week is really much more than your body can handle. You are creating an energy demand that is too great for it to fulfill with your current calorie intake and rapid fat loss isn't biologically allowed by your DNA. What I mean is that it will not draw upon only fat stores. It will begin to draw energy from other available tissues. After fat, it draws upon muscles, but it could potentially draw upon organ tissue as well, if the calorie deficit continues for too long.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    Options
    You need to EAT! That's what's wrong.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't even THINK about restricting your carbs, or anything else. You need to net WAY MORE per day or you will simply end up hungry and even heavier than you are now. 2 lbs per week is unrealistic for you. 2lbs of fat is 7000 calories. You can't do that kind of deficit in a week. Just STOP and decide to be healthy AND thin. A lot of people here are trying to help you with good, truthful advice. I hope you listen to them. I've done what you are doing and it is a RECIPE FOR FAILURE.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Net daily calories should not fall below 1200 calories. If you think you can do it your way, then go ahead. Just don't expect to lose any weight.
  • Tereless
    Tereless Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough, add enough protein and natural carbs to increase to the 1200 calorie mark and give your body the nutrition it needs. Your body thinks it is starving and holding onto every calorie it can get. This can cause a decrease in muscle and not fat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think you forgot to eat the rest of your food?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I think you forgot to eat the rest of your food?

I ate it for her.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Your body thinks its starving, and so, evolution and genetics says, ~hold on... to those calories... hold on... yeah yeah yeah~

That's about the size of it.

Calculate your BMR and TDEE.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Who knows if you eat less, you might start gaining weight.:wink:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You know what is weird about these entries? About 12 years ago I was put on a 480-calorie diet by Weight Loss Clinics plus I was walking a lot and exercising at the gym about every other day. The weight peeled off me like nobody's business! It was astonishing.

Of course I gained the weight back within the year.

Still, if starvation mode is such a big fat hairy problem, then why in the world did I lose weight so fast on the WLC diet?

I'm probably paying for it now. Can the effects of messing with your metabolism like that last this long?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You know what is weird about these entries? About 12 years ago I was put on a 480-calorie diet by Weight Loss Clinics plus I was walking a lot and exercising at the gym about every other day. The weight peeled off me like nobody's business! It was astonishing.

Still, if starvation mode is such a big fat hairy problem, then why in the world did I lose weight so fast on the WLC diet?

I'm probably paying for it now. Can the effects of messing with your metabolism like that last this long?
    Your a special snowflake. just kidding. Of course you lost weight even though according to popular belief you should have plateaued and come on the internet to ask why.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Exercise will make you hold extra water weight. Keep up the exercise because that is what is makiing your body look better. How you look is much more important than what the scale says. You have to be patient, how many months have you gone without seeing the scale weight go down? Sometimes scale weight drops come in chunks, I have had to wait three weeks and then a huge drop. So keep doing what you are doing or if you feel you are not getting adequate nutrition then eat more calories.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, omg. Your body wants food so bad.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Now, while a VLCD is not a good idea at all, you will lose weight if you go low enough (and lose muscle mass and energy etc etc etc if low enough), but most of these post are from people who just started exercising and so whose weight loss is masked by water weight fluctuations. A few weeks is just not long enough to suppress your metabolism enough to stop losing weight at low calories. However, I want to emphasize again, just in case my comments get miscontrued, large weekly deficits are not a good idea at all, even in the short term
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ This. Take the time to click that link and read the article.

You are probably sensitive to carbohydrates. Just lower your carbohydrates and increase protein and fat.
    ^ Definitely NOT this.