Daily 600 net calories, no weight lost. What's wrong?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I sense the OP wouldn't raise her caloric intake if God Himself told her to. The weight issue runs deeper than a few calories.

So true. But if we told her to reduce to 300-400 she'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltl6tlWcVx1qkunqjo1_500.png
  • toxic86
    toxic86 Posts: 1
    Options
    You havent lost any weight because you burned off fat and gained muscle in its place thats why you lost an inch in your waist because muscle takes up less room then fat. Also there is nothing wrong with having 600 NET calories because its the calorie total AFTER exercise was incorporated... Your not in starvation mode your not sensative to carbohydrates your doing everything right.. Focus on fat loss which is what makes us fat in the first place and not the scale.. The scale is the worst way to measure weightloss because it doesnt take in to account any muscle that you gain which pretty much led you to make this post. Your welcome.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was probably doing this and my body stalled for 19 days. Then I went and ate about 2000 calories and took a break from the gym for a few days. Sometimes your body needs a break. I eat 1200-1400 a day depending on where I'm at, but if you are exercising that much a day you should eat a little more. Try not to net under 800.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You havent lost any weight because you burned off fat and gained muscle in its place thats why you lost an inch in your waist because muscle takes up less room then fat. Also there is nothing wrong with having 600 NET calories because its the calorie total AFTER exercise was incorporated... Your not in starvation mode your not sensative to carbohydrates your doing everything right.. Focus on fat loss which is what makes us fat in the first place and not the scale.. The scale is the worst way to measure weightloss because it doesnt take in to account any muscle that you gain which pretty much led you to make this post. Your welcome.

There is so much wrong with this post. You need to learn how MFP defines net calories. There is plenty wrong with having 600 net calories if she included a deficit in her target (which she did). In addition, this is an OLD thread and the OP has already made changes to her approach. Necromancy is bad, m'kay?
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Excuse me, what? There´s nothing wrong with having 600 NET calories? Oh boy.... As one said, you should eat MINIMUM the double. The 1200 NET calories is a minimum and I agree, you should be eating way more. I´m slowly- 50 calories a week- working my way up from 1200- 17-1800 calories. Eat back your exercise calories. This is important: EAT MORE!

Oh, just noticed now how old the thread is. I hope she got it. :flowerforyou:
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat 1200 calories, you will die.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Let me attempt to elucidate on what everyone is trying to tell you.

First off, weight loss isn't just about the numbers. There are other factors to consider. The body is designed to protect itself from the damage of starvation (no, I'm not referring to starvation mode). These mechanisms are generally triggered by extreme calorie deficits for long periods of time. This is true for everyone. People who are starting at only an overweight BMI have a tendency to trigger these mechanisms much sooner than someone with an obese BMI.

What happens is that the body will generate hormones that will either make you feel hungry all the time, forcing you to eat more, or will cause you to burn calories more efficiently, thus reducing your body's caloric requirements to meet your caloric intake.

I strongly advise that you reconsider your calorie goal settings. For someone at your BMI, 2 lbs a week is really much more than your body can handle. You are creating an energy demand that is too great for it to fulfill with your current calorie intake and rapid fat loss isn't biologically allowed by your DNA. What I mean is that it will not draw upon only fat stores. It will begin to draw energy from other available tissues. After fat, it draws upon muscles, but it could potentially draw upon organ tissue as well, if the calorie deficit continues for too long.

this
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    This is awesome.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 5'4" and 145lbs. I am eating in average between 1000-1200 calories/day with 25% fat, 30% protein and 45% carbs of healthy organic food and exercise daily to spend 500-700 calories. My weekly average is 600 net calories per day. My metabolism burns 1600 calories per day. Based on those numbers, I should lose 2lbs per week. (1000 calories x 7 /3500 = 2lbs)
    What I am doing wrong? My only result so far is 1" lost on my waist. My goal is to BOTH lose fat and lose weight.
    I would appreciate your help!
    Thanks

1.You're not eating enough 2. Losing an inch off your waist is an accomplishment you shouldn't ignore, and 3) re-read #1.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I am interested to hear more from people that are now in their healthy weight zone, but wants to lose an other 10-15lbs.

Thanks again!

I am in a healthy weight zone for my age and height. I started at 182 and am now at 165. I would like to get down to 155, but I am approaching it slowly and steadily. If I get there by June, great. If not, oh well. I'm at 1460 net cals per day, and I exercise 4 times a week. My exercise is like this: 2 1-hour Zumba classes per week and 2 recumbent bike exercises. I try to get in 45 minutes on the bike, but I've been known to do an hour at least once a week.

I started at a size 14, but am now down to size 10.

I try to NET at least 1200 cals every day, and that includes eating back the exercise calories. I do NOT let my NET go below 1200, so if I see the net is about or lower than 1200, I eat peanut butter or have one more high cal food to raise it up.

I am not starving myself, nor over exercising. I recently broke through my plateau, which lasted about a month, and I was okay with that.

I worry less about the number on the scale and more about how my body feels and the size of clothes I'm wearing.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Wow. Only a net of 600 calories? Hell, the half a can of Sriracha peas I just snacked on probably contained just as many calories.

And despite NOT pursuing weight loss in the last six months, the scale this morning told me I'd lost two lbs in a week. I'm 5'2", 43 years old and eat at least 1800 calories every day.

On Sundays anything goes because I want to, and I ate 1300 calories at breakfast three hours ago. I'm about to inhale another 1300 calories for lunch.

OP, please eat. And eat WELL. You need to take proper care of yourself.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

You CANNOT gain muscle in a deficit. You can certainly lose it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I sense the OP wouldn't raise her caloric intake if God Himself told her to. The weight issue runs deeper than a few calories.

So true. But if we told her to reduce to 300-400 she'd do it in a heartbeat.

Actually this is an old post and this OP has increased her calories and found her sweet spot since then.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well she never came back, so guessing she didn't like good advice?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Well she never came back, so guessing she didn't like good advice?

See the post above yours.
  • Amynjoe4
    Amynjoe4 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem. Iv been eating 1200 calories a day and no lbs since I started 2 months ago. I did measure myself today and only lost the 1" in the waste just like you. Every other measurement was the same. Per what everyone is telling you, I am now going to start eating a few more calories a day. I think I have been starving my body and its been storing the fat because I have not been feeding it enough. I am in the same boat you are in. Good luck.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Listen to these people.

except the one about the carbs

LMAO yeah not that crazy carb person. Macros are important but there's a bigger issue here :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You are starving. Your body is holding onto every calorie it can, for survival. I am losing weight steadily, at 1700 cals per day.