Food is Fuel

Options
You wouldn't pour dirty dish water in your car's fuel tank and expect it to run well, would you? So why eat garbage and expect your body to perform? Reading some people's diaries makes me sad. I would be seriously depressed if I lived off of Slim Fast shakes and Special K bars (yuck!) Come on, people! Pick up a vegetable (in its natural form) and eat it! Get your protein from meat, fish & eggs, not some processed chemical ****-storm shake! I don't eat perfect all day every day, but I do make sure that my body gets some good nutrients to work with. It's no wonder everyone is chugging 5-hour energy drinks and acting like zombies. THERE'S NO FUEL IN THEIR FIRE!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't pour dirty dish water in your car's fuel tank and expect it to run well, would you? So why eat garbage and expect your body to perform? Reading some people's diaries makes me sad. I would be seriously depressed if I lived off of Slim Fast shakes and Special K bars (yuck!) Come on, people! Pick up a vegetable (in its natural form) and eat it! Get your protein from meat, fish & eggs, not some processed chemical ****-storm shake! I don't eat perfect all day every day, but I do make sure that my body gets some good nutrients to work with. It's no wonder everyone is chugging 5-hour energy drinks and acting like zombies. THERE'S NO FUEL IN THEIR FIRE!

While I'm all about eating good food, you can run perfectly well on your so called "dirty" foods

And why would you want to eat a dirty vegetable covered in dirt?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    You might prefer to knock a little dirt off of it first! ;)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If those people are making the effort to come on here, log their food and start making positive changes, then bravo to them. Not everyone can make a complete 180 in their lifestyle change overnight. These things take time, and there's plenty to learn.

Worry about your own progress.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of fire in my beloved Taco Bell trips. Just usually.....afterwards. In unpleasant places.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

What is wrong with a protein shake?
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    If those people are making the effort to come on here, log their food and start making positive changes, then bravo to them. Not everyone can make a complete 180 in their lifestyle change overnight. These things take time, and there's plenty to learn.

I'm not judging. I honestly feel SAD for people who sustain themselves on slimfast and special k bars (ALL DAY LONG). I find it hard to believe that they are ENJOYING their "meals". I know when I ate those frozen "smart ones" meals every day for lunch, I was miserable :(
  • SnicciFit
    Options

What is wrong with a protein shake?

Nothing. I drink them sometimes in a pinch. I just wouldn't use them as my only source of protein all day. They are great when you need some protein on-the-go! So are HB eggs :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I know when I ate those frozen "smart ones" meals every day for lunch, I was miserable :(

Me too. I've completely abandoned frozen meals - even the healthy ones. Just not enough bang for the buck, calorie wise.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Good thing YOUR performance isn't dependent on what other people eat...
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I know when I ate those frozen "smart ones" meals every day for lunch, I was miserable :(

Me too. I've completely abandoned frozen meals - even the healthy ones. Just not enough bang for the buck, calorie wise.

Agreed. I can fry up a pound of hamburger with some veggies and get 4 meals out of it for the price of one of those bland tasting cardboard box meals :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

While I'm all about eating good food, you can run perfectly well on your so called "dirty" foods

And why would you want to eat a dirty vegetable covered in dirt?

Dirt's good for you. Immune systems, especially in westernized countries, are being compromised because we're too clean. But the chemicals .. that's another story. so yeah. wash your produce. Then put some nice clean dirt from the back yard on it.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get through days on shakes and bars - I eat as much "real food" as possible to ensure that I'm getting the right amount of nutrients and I'm happy with my food on the average day!
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options

The fuel put in cars isn't pure from the ground. It's refined and many different chemicals and other things are added to it.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I'm not judging. I honestly feel SAD for people who sustain themselves on slimfast and special k bars (ALL DAY LONG). I find it hard to believe that they are ENJOYING their "meals". I know when I ate those frozen "smart ones" meals every day for lunch, I was miserable :(

i agree 100%. so many people just don't know how to cook something as simple as ground beef and onions any more. they only know how to push the buttons on a microwave :cry:
  • sullus
    Options
    On an anectdotal note, I wont eat ANY protein bars (I have to be in dire straits to do so). A long time ago on one of my early forays into losing weight, I got into Balance (and Zone Perfect) bars. I used them as a thought-free snack, so I was averaging 2-3 a day. It took about 3 or 4 months, but my teeth started getting loose. After some experimentation, I ended up cutting the bars out, and within a month, my teeth were solid again.

My trainer's always trying to give me a protein bar after workouts. No thanks ... I'll cook when I get home.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

As I said, it takes time to learn. This is why I think MFP is far superior to many other weight loss sites because if used the right way, it teaches you about food and its effects.

When I started on here, I also ate special k bars (or similar) and 'healthy' microwave meals. I wouldn't say I was miserable, but they never kept me full for long, and I would often have a sugar high and then crash very quickly after.

A while ago, after reading a bit on the forums, I swapped my microwave meals for a chicken breast or salmon fillet with salad, and the special k bars for fresh fruit and handfuls of nuts, and months later, I feel much better (and much fuller), and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now. But it took time to get there, and it took time to learn that.

You also have to bear in mind we live in a society were everything is 'on the go' and about convenience, and some people like things they can just grab. Unfortunately due to clever advertising a lot of people are fooled into thinking these things are healthy.

Sorry for the long reply. :ohwell:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Dirt's good for you. Immune systems, especially in westernized countries, are being compromised because we're too clean. But the chemicals .. that's another story. so yeah. wash your produce. Then put some nice clean dirt from the back yard on it.

True... and that's for another post! LOL!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    For the most part I agree with you, except that I do take protein shakes. As a working student, it's a lot cheaper than eating enough chicken breast every day to get my 125 grams of protein.
    BUT, my shakes supplement my meals, they do not replace them. And with the protein powder, awesome homemade oatmeal bars can be made for a quick snack.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

As I said, it takes time to learn. This is why I think MFP is far superior to many other weight loss sites because if used the right way, it teaches you about food and its effects.

When I started on here, I also ate special k bars (or similar) and 'healthy' microwave meals. I wouldn't say I was miserable, but they never kept me full for long, and I would often have a sugar high and then crash very quickly after.

A while ago, after reading a bit on the forums, I swapped my microwave meals for a chicken breast or salmon fillet with salad, and the special k bars for fresh fruit and handfuls of nuts, and months later, I feel much better (and much fuller), and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now. But it took time to get there, and it took time to learn that.

You also have to bear in mind we live in a society were everything is 'on the go' and about convenience, and some people like things they can just grab. Unfortunately due to clever advertising a lot of people are fooled into thinking these things are healthy.

Sorry for the long reply. :ohwell:

Yeah it takes time to learn, i was the same way and switched out and now feel healthier and happier. A lotof what she said is what I was thinking!
  • sullus
    Options

Agreed. I can fry up a pound of hamburger with some veggies and get 4 meals out of it for the price of one of those bland tasting cardboard box meals :)

Egg whites are my go to for fast protein. I can stuff my face on a giant egg white and veg omelette for well under 200 calories and close to 20g protein. And it only takes about 4 minutes to cook (if you have the veg ready to go)