WOW!!!! 10 Pounds in one week...

Options
1235»

Replies

• irishscootz
    Options
    Please read this before you start looking at Biggest Loser for weight loss tips:

Part 1: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
    Part 2: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/16/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-2-of-3/
    Part 3: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/23/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-3-of-3/

It's an interview with one of the finalists from season 3. This really shows, plainly and clearly, how horribly unhealthy the show is and also the "freak show" aspect of it. Yes, some of the contestants keep the weight off after, many also develop horrible eating disorders and many put it back on because they never learned how to fit eating right and exercising into a normal lifestyle. Also, a BL week can be anywhere from 5 days to 2+ weeks AND a lot of that weight loss is horrible forced dehydration.

No thank you, I'll take my 1-2 pounds a week by counting calories and exercising an hour or so daily.

This is awesome information. It IS a freakshow!! There is no "reality" in TV.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is not the enemy, especially in the beginning of the weight loss journey. Also, it really doesn't play a big part on whether you maintain or not. See the research:

"Our study provides further evidence that, within the context of lifestyle treatment, losing weight at a fast initial rate leads to greater short-term weight reductions, does not result in increased susceptibility to weight regain, and is associated with larger weight losses and overall long-term success in weight management," the authors write in the International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. http://www.livescience.com/9907-surprising-diet-tip-lose-weight-quickly.html

"Collectively, findings indicate both short- and long-term advantages to fast initial weight loss. Fast weight losers obtained greater weight reduction and long-term maintenance, and were not more susceptible to weight regain than gradual weight losers."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20443094

Interesting enough, the research defines "fast weight-loss" at a rate of 2lbs per week... Hmmm.

Most people who lose this amount of weight in short periods of time usually are obese (BMI>30), are under medical supervision, and follow a plan so strict that would really be imposible to keep long-term. This is why a lot of them fail in the long run.

I, personally, do not believe in the "increase your calories to lose" approach. To each his own.

I am so with you on all of this. Thank you for your post.

Good info! Thanks for sharing!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. I actually think that promoting a "cheat day to keep the metabolism guessing so you don't plateau" is really just a good way to provide some relief from the dieting without creating guilt. Several years ago I lost a significant amount of weight with "Body for Life" and that lifestyle includes that "cheat day" for the same reason.

I love Body for Life - chiefly because I got banned from their forums by Bill Phillips himself who sent me a personal email to tell me that my atheist views weren't welcome. That was after 2 weeks of one of his little 'helpers' berating me and telling me that my weight problems were down to not being spirtual :bigsmile: My conclusion was that Bill Phillips and his cohorts are total wankers.

On the subject of The Biggest Loser. Well I don't like these type of shows and I absolutely think that putting people with weight issues through that IS modern freak show entertainment. It's shameful. However, that show is not as bad as one we have here in the UK called 'Supersize v Superskinny' where they get 2 people with terrible eating habits that have put them at opposite ends of the weight scale and make them swap diets for a week. So you get a sight of super obese Jimmy having to survive a day on half a bag of crisps and an apple and anorexic Jenny trying to force down 4,000 calories worth of Chinese takeaway. Educational value? None whatsoever. Amount of help for the sufferers themselves? Zero.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You guys are hung up on the TV aspect of it...I'm not concerned if they gain their weight back....What I'm saying is..weight lost can be done at a calorie deficit and rigorous training....people on this site seem to think the contrary..don’t get ,e wrong..I love this site

There was an interview done with a former contestant about all the things they do on this show. She also said because the show is the only one monitoring the time, that sometimes a "week" was much longer than a week.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    On a personal note, I can't stand TBL. I think it's absurd and irresponsible to train people like that all for the bottom line...unfortunately watching someone transform through slow, steady, and healthy weight loss, increased strength, and real emotional/behavioral changes doesn't appeal to many. We want tooth fairy results and we want them right away. And that pile of crap is what sells.

Co-signed. Could not have said it better. I hate The Biggest Loser with a passion. When I was pricing out food scales, I picked one up that had TBL logo on it....and I put it back. I would rather pay an extra $10US than support that crap ANY DAY.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was sad my baby Alex got sent home : (
  • smallsfgirl
    Options
    Excellent point OP! There is a lot of "you need to eat more calories" on here but my gut tells me (no pun intended) that isn't true. I have been having trouble losing, even with lots of exercise and low calories. I've been wondering what the problem has been. Even though I'm tracking everything I eat, I wonder if the individual food calories and components in the database are accurate (like maybe in reality many of the foods are off by 20%?). I also don't believe it's a simple calories in calories out formula to success, but I should have lost something! So tired of MFP telling me "keep this up and you'll be x lbs in 5 weeks"!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'd rather do it the healthy way...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most contestants on the Biggest Loser gain back the weight they lost after the show is over. They are exercising 6-7 hours a day; intense workouts too. In that kind of environment of course they will lose crazy amounts of weight. What they are doing on that show isn't sustainable, which is one of the reasons they gain back weight. They go back to their lives where they have to work and deal with all the stresses and factors that were there before they went to the camp.
    Data supports this?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The measure of weight loss success is not in how fast you lose it, but in whether you manage to keep it off.

It'd be interesting to see a study of all Bigger Loser contestants 5 years down the line to see how many of them have maintained their loss.
    90% of them have gained a significant amount of weight back. Like other diets and programs of fast weight loss, only a certain percentage of people will carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I don't doubt this is true, as 90% of ALL dieters gain it back. But has someone tracked this?? Or are we all assuming it?

Never watched the show, hate "reality" TV and can't stand Jillian Michaels, but has someone tracked their maintenance?
  • workijng2befit
    Options
    That's why I like Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition. They give you 1 week at a spa then they go home with you stay with you for I think 30 days then leave you still set goals for you. they check in with you all the time there are cameras in the home they set you up with a gym if your not doing the work the trainer comes right to the house. also they take the time and teach you how to eat. All those people lose a little slower than the Biggest Loser but they seem to lose at a good pace and keep it off. It's more realistic for me.
  • smallsfgirl
    Options
    This is what John Hussman's website says re: not eating enough calories. Don't know him or endorse him, but this resonates with me....

"NOTE: If you are having trouble losing weight, it is wishful thinking to believe that eating more calories will help. Do not use the BMR calculation as a reason to increase your caloric intake. Even if you were taking in far too few calories, you would still lose lots of weight, but part of it would be muscle. So if you're losing neither fat weight nor scale weight, most probably you're eating too many calories that you aren't counting. (I write this because the research on this point is clear). You have to run a caloric deficit when you total it up over the full week, counting any free day. Sadly, some people use the BMR calculation and their free day to justify overeating. This is unfortunate. The only way to lose fat is to create a persistent, daily, sustained caloric deficit. Eating more frequent and smaller meals can help, but it is is superstition that simply eating more will help you to lose fat."