Options

Replies

• jstcallmecoco
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is high, and you go over on carbs. Carbs are good for you but not in excess, especially if you aren't working out right now. Keep trying and you'll be fine :) Just tweek your diet a little. Maybe you are retaining water.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has given advice. I've fixed my % on MFP and will be following the advice about upping protein, decreasing sodium, carbs and sugar.

If you happen to look at my diary today or tomorrow- please do not think that I'm ignoring what you've said. I can not get to the grocery store to get some new foods to try until tomorrow or Friday AM, so I need to just suck it up and deal with the potential weight gain from the above issues until I can get good foods. I am appreciative of the advice and will be giving it a go!

So you haven't lost weight in weeks. Your new plan is to keep your calorie goal the same and hope you lose weight now.

Good luck. You'll need it.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has given advice. I've fixed my % on MFP and will be following the advice about upping protein, decreasing sodium, carbs and sugar.

If you happen to look at my diary today or tomorrow- please do not think that I'm ignoring what you've said. I can not get to the grocery store to get some new foods to try until tomorrow or Friday AM, so I need to just suck it up and deal with the potential weight gain from the above issues until I can get good foods. I am appreciative of the advice and will be giving it a go!

So you haven't lost weight in weeks. Your new plan is to keep your calorie goal the same and hope you lose weight now.

I have lost, but it's not what I thought I would be seeing. I am going to try to push through the pain (I can't injure myself any further, just cause more discomfort) and walk more, and do some weight work and create a deficit.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I have lost, but it's not what I thought I would be seeing. I am going to try to push through the pain (I can't injure myself any further, just cause more discomfort) and walk more, and do some weight work and create a deficit.

Can I ask you why you're not lowering your calorie target then?
  • Tandksmommy11
    Options
    I didn't want to make to many drastic changes all at once. I'm afraid if I change up my %s and also drop calories that my body will retain things I don't want it retaining. If I try to stick to the % first, I can drop calories by doing other things and not eating back exercise calories. If there's still no change, I can drop calorie target and then work on figuring out whether to eat back calories or not.

I don't think there's an exact science to it. I just think it needs to be tweaked and trial and error.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    s.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire string of posts so you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but are you exercising? One pound = 3500 calories. If you seem to be maintaining or losing very slowly, you need to increase your activity to burn more calories. If you burn 500 more calories every day than you are right now, you should lose another pound a week.
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs...reduce the sodium...and what I do is have small meals throughout the day instead of big meals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Really? So every deficit of 3500 calories equals 1 lb of weight loss in every person regardless of food choice and life style? No my friend, there is far more to reality than this.

Yes. There is more to health than weight, and body composition can really depend on the macro ratios, but 3500 calories = 1 pound.

Your body uses energy. Every liter of oxygen you consume equals 5 calories burned. That's a physiological fact. Unless you're going to argue that eating some foods makes your body consume less oxygen than other foods, you don't have a factual basis for your claim.

3500 calories worth of deficit means that your body has had to consume 3500 calories worth of its own tissue to make up for the deficit. That's simple reality, and you cannot escape it. You cannot escape the physics.

For the OP, more protein is a good idea. Less sugar is a good idea. But those changes won't lead to more weight loss. Consuming fewer calories will lead to weight loss.
  • fevermaps
    fevermaps Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Your sodium, sugar and carbs are very high. You are going over on most days. Sodium holds on to the water which isn't a major issue but try and keep it low as possible. The sugar and carbs are too high though. It's all about finding the right balance!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Really? So every deficit of 3500 calories equals 1 lb of weight loss in every person regardless of food choice and life style? No my friend, there is far more to reality than this.

Yes. There is more to health than weight, and body composition can really depend on the macro ratios, but 3500 calories = 1 pound.

Your body uses energy. Every liter of oxygen you consume equals 5 calories burned. That's a physiological fact. Unless you're going to argue that eating some foods makes your body consume less oxygen than other foods, you don't have a factual basis for your claim.

3500 calories worth of deficit means that your body has had to consume 3500 calories worth of its own tissue to make up for the deficit. That's simple reality, and you cannot escape it. You cannot escape the physics.

For the OP, more protein is a good idea. Less sugar is a good idea. But those changes won't lead to more weight loss. Consuming fewer calories will lead to weight loss.

Layne Norton disagrees with you about the calories. ;-)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

3500 calories only equal 1lb if you are losing 100% fat.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-energy-balance-equation.html
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Well I'll be the semi blunt one.

First, cut out the d@mn sugar!!!. A McDonald's Ice Cream shake for Bedtime Snack? Hot Chocolate and etc for nighttime snacks?

Secondly, are you weighting and being accurate on your food logging? Especially on days you are eating your exercise calories?

There is nothing wrong with ice-cream as a bedtime snack, as long as the overall diet is good. There is no need to be 100% perfect al the time, but try to aim for at least 80% of the time. If you have already hit your protein and fat goals, and have some calories left, then by all means have the ice-cream. Look at teh bigger picture rather than the minute details.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

There is when they are going way over on sugars, you haven't look much at the bigger picture. The OP's diary was way over in sugar for the day.

Adding in ice cream before bed is generally not recommended for other reasons. It’s also been discovered that eating high-sugar foods before bed causes nightmares. It also can result in snoring and lowering oxygen levels while sleeping, resulting in a lower quality of sleep.

But if you don't have nightmares, snoring issues, reflux, indigestion, and have met your protein/fat macros, at the end of a healthy eating day, ice-cream before bed is delicious. ;)
  • jonnythan
    Options

Wow, I had no idea the difference in energy density between body fat and body muscle was so large. So 3500 calories of deficit is between 1 and 5.8 pounds of body mass.

That's kinda mind blowing, and actually helps explain the huge first-month weight loss figures you often see in people who don't do strength training.
  • janabama
    Options
    The biggest thing i say is the overage of carbs, sugars and sodium. I've read alot lately about sodium intake and how it can help you retain fluids/weight. Water, Water, Water!!! Good Luck!
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Great info. This is exactly right. There are also things like hormones to take into account, which highly effect weight loss regardless of total deficit. The more weight you have to lose the calories in vs calories out holds fairly true. Once you shed some weight/mass things like hormones definitely become a factor, particularly for women. That is when the quality of calories, and macros count far more.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Options
    Do hormones come into play at all regarding birth control? I had an IUD in for 5 years. I had it taken out January 9. Not sure if that would have some effect too along with the macro issues.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Processed foods, sugar, carbs, sodium. It may seem inconvenient, but truly it is very simple. Your carbs and refined sugar is really high. Stick to whole foods. Whole fresh fruit, fresh or frozen veggies with no sauces, and lean proteins should be the building blocks of all meals. Try to stick to clean grains-brown rice, quinoa, cous cous, whole wheat choices in small portions. Incorporate healthy fats-nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil, etc. For "dessert" try yogurt, cottage cheese with a little fruit, frozen grapes, and apple with peanut butter, etc. Those simple changes will give you the results you want. And obviously incorporating exercise, but diet is the larger factor.

This. I'm no expert, have a long way to go myself, and I agree that exercise is important, but with an injury I honestly wouldn't be pushing it. You want to be able to walk down the aisle. Weightloss is 80% diet, 20% exercise and just from looking at your diary I think your issue is your diet. You are consistently really high on carbs, sugars, and sodium. Not only does water help flush out your system, it keeps you feeling full. Have you tried oatmeal for breakfast? Oatmeal or eggs are my go tos because they keep me really full and satisfied. It looks like a majority of your food is also processed. I know it's hard when you're used to quick and easy, but eating fresh foods the majority of the time really does make a difference. A good tip for me has been to stick to the perimeter of the grocery store when shopping - produce, meats and dairy sections.
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Your carbs scare me, also youre not having much protein which keeps you full for longer, my advice is to cut the carbs and replace with protein.

My thoughts exactly... I see this as a trend in your comments. Sugar as well...