do you work out infront of your other half?

Options
i find it really hard to work out infront of my other half incase he says something about the way im doing it, not that he would mean it he would try being funny. i just cant do it though.

your thoughts please

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My wife lifts with me. I do correct her on her form from time to time...she appreciates it because she likes doing things properly. She'll also let me know if I'm getting a little out of form...I appreciate it as well...I also like doing things properly.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do it once in a while, but he tries to grope me during squats and straddle me during burpees. But it's fun when he does that. Actually, my dog "bothers" me more than my spouse. My dog knows the cues on the DVDs I use already and likes to stretch with me. One of the joys of working out at home is having a 70 lb dog going into downward dog with you. LOL
  • KrebKath
    Options
    I can't do it either. I can't even stand to watch myself do it! My husband would not be mean or anything, it's all about me and my inscurity about how I feel. The only place I have that I can lock the door (to make sure he doesn't come in) is in the bedroom. I have to turn the TV and put in my DVD, but it ends up putting ME in front of a three-way mirror. I totally understand what you're going through.
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I go to the gym together in the mornings. He rides the bike behind me when I do the elliptical or treadmill. He likes to send texts saying cute butt which makes me smile.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with my dh at the gym before but I could never work out in the living room if he was staring at me from behind LOL!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    Zumba - NO!! Too many lude comments.
    Turbo Fire - No. No room.
    Hiking, swimming and other outdoor activities we do together - yes.
    Wii workouts - yes, because the Wii is in the living room.
    Strength training - yes, usually (except for Turbo Fire). He helps me keep good form since he used play a lot of sports and has had training.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Sometimes he sees things in my form that I wouldn't notice, and its motivating to have your spouse or SO pump you up. PLUS, its totally hot. ;)
  • SRT4twg
    SRT4twg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I could maybe let him watch me at the gym cuz lets face it everyone else can see you too soooo it should be ok but really until I lose some more inches I don't want him to see me like that. I don't want to even see me like that....
  • cjlorigan
    cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    :wink: :wink:
    I do it once in a while, but he tries to grope me during squats and straddle me during burpees. But it's fun when he does that. Actually, my dog "bothers" me more than my spouse. My dog knows the cues on the DVDs I use already and likes to stretch with me. One of the joys of working out at home is having a 70 lb dog going into downward dog with you. LOL

This!!!! lmao

Hubby goes to the gym with me and lifts while I do. He also is my spotter most days. He will grope if he can but only at home...he's very low pda @ the gym. As for the dog, he is banished during home workouts now since as soon as I lay down on the floor to do anything he thinks he needs to come lay beside me with his head on my stomach....very counterproductive!!
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    its nice to see that some of you do work out together x and its not that he would be mean hes the jokey kind of person so he thinks its funny when he says something. he would probabbly grope me too and put me off my workout, lol
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    I love working out with my other half! He is my best friend as well as my boyfriend, so I love having that support there. He always motivates me and encourages me to do my best.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    We have done insanity together, he is too critical of my form so it ends up just making me mad so I avoid it if I can. Not because of any kind of insecurity (he watched me give birth,...so...) but just because he doesn't leave me the hell alone when I'm trying to do my best. "dont bend like that, hold it out straighter, flex your foot, blah blah blah" Not to mention he grabs my butt - I cant work out in those kinds of conditions lol
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    When I am with someone I know I feel I have to work out harder and go the extra step.
    Unfortunatly my wife works out at home, and I work out at a gym.

She is a freakin' machine, no matter who is around.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Of course. We go to the gym together. He would never say anything to me, he lets me do my thing and I let him do his.

Why wouldn't you just tell him to leave you to do your thing without comment? I mean you have to be able to communicate with your partner?

Believe me after you've been married for awhile they have seen you in WAY worse situations than working out!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Depends what I'm doing... if I'm doing yoga then it's fine. If I'm doing TurboJam or 30DS then I usually go in our bedroom and use our portable DVD player. I'd just rather not be sweating and panting and flailing around in front of him. He laughs at me. :-)
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Me either, he plays too much!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think the sky will fall into the ocean before I could get my boyfriend to come to the gym with me...
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i did the 30DS in front of my boyfriend the other day. i think it kind of pushed me harder because i didn't want to slack off in front of him!
  • bermudamel
    Options
    doesn't bother me, we go to the gym together and if I'm doing a video at home he's usually on the computer or something. We do laugh at home though because my cat jumps and hits my leg while I'm doing the video at home (yes he's weird LOL)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as often as not, he is too lost in what he is doing to care. When he is paying attention, he will look at me, look at the screen, then try the move himself, usually to hilarious results.

If you don't want his comments, ask that he refrain from talking to you during the workout.

We also workout together. I go to the gym at his work sometimes to take a class; we walk on weekends; and we swim together.