Yes! Sugar IS the enemy.

Options

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    LOL. Which side is the zealots? Those who demonize foods or those who don't?

The extreme end of both "sides."

Ultimately people are going to believe what they want and do what they want.

My family history is rife with heart disease and diabetes, so I like to be up-to-date with the current research going on. I am open minded and a person of science. I'm interested in all sides. I know that you shouldn't "appeal to the authority" too. But to just call a PhD a "quack" is a bit disrespectful.

I'm sorry if I beat the horse.....and put it in a hamburger.

P.S. I would look into Dihydrogen Monoxide, but I am still trying to figure out if a 100 lbs of feathers is heavier than a 100 lbs of bowling balls. (7th grade chemistry flashbacks...YAY!!!)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this topic's gets tiresome. It's been beaten to death.

this
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this topic's gets tiresome. It's been beaten to death.

this

Especially since this is like the 7th thread I have seen on the subject in say... 24 hours!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

My family history is rife with heart disease and diabetes, so I like to be up-to-date with the current research going on. I am open minded and a person of science. I'm interested in all sides. I know that you shouldn't "appeal to the authority" too. But to just call a PhD a "quack" is a bit disrespectful.

P.S. I would look into Dihydrogen Monoxide, but I am still trying to figure out if a 100 lbs of feathers is heavier than a 100 lbs of bowling balls. (7th grade chemistry flashbacks...YAY!!!)
    It's not that he's a quack, he surely isn't. He shouldn't take his research on the road, draw conclusions that only appear to work when an extreme stance is taken. Fructose is perfectly fine in moderation, so is sugar, but because obesity and sugar/carb over consumption can be directly correlated to dysfunction and disease he with his PhD sounds quite credible all the while being quite the zealot and drawing conclusions that work better in a best seller than a scientist.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    <--- Sugar zealot.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Well this doctor ought to come sit down with me because I only ever track Carbs, Proteins, and Fats and my caloric intake.... Never once tracked a single gram of sugar (or sodium for that matter) and found a way to get moving (water displacement in the beginning) and lost over 300 lbs. and on top of that I am a diabetic.... Call me crazy but I don't fear sugar.....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Sugar has also been linked to Cancer.....

Yawn.

Just about everything we eat these days has been linked to cancer.

And damn that sun. It shines on me when I go for my walks. It's going to cause me cancer too.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Sugar! I declare WAR on you.
    I will feed you to my yeast farms and consume the carnage that will ensue!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Breathing has also been known to cause cancer.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hahaha . Thread of the century
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I love sugar it is my weakness i dont want to cut it out 100% because that seems extreme but i want to be more reasonable about it
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to know this! Sugar is edible. Enemy devoured!

Giant_Enemy_Worm.jpg

NOM NOM NOM
    Totally awesome! You win! hail.gif
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Hehevthats cute
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sugar is definitely MY enemy just because I have a hard time controlling myself with it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar has also been linked to Cancer.....

Yawn.

Just about everything we eat these days has been linked to cancer.

And damn that sun. It shines on me when I go for my walks. It's going to cause me cancer too.

i heard if you drink beer on the beach and get in the water that is linked to cancer too....Floridans we are F'd...!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I think you started this thread sincerely. Most times when someone starts a Lustig thread, they have some kind of orthorexic axe to grind. I also, applaud you're efforts to do better than your family history and be up to date on research.

The problem with someone like Lustig and why the draw such disrespect is they stop being a researcher and scientist and start being an extremeist advocate with an agenda based on fear mongering. That is why he is viewed by many with such disdain despite his PHD, which is no guaratee of inteligence and integrity BTW.

If you really want to learn more, one of the best sites you can utilize is James Kreiger's site, Weightology.com. He has credentials and is objective. Also, you can find lot's of good info on here in the group Eat, Train, Progress, especially in the "important posts to read" thread. I've put links to both below.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=3
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Ah, The Bitter Truth video, this is where I began my journey about a year ago into the depths of keto/ low carb/paleo land.

And a lot of fun it was, I sampled the forbidden fruits of Marks Daily Apple, I got into Underground Wellness, Mercola, etc, I did some Wheatbellyage, I cruised Robb Wolf's site (who I, incidentally, think has the best attitude).

And it did make me wonder about what I was consuming and where it was coming from and I do make better choices these days as a result (nutrient dense protein sources closer to the source, etc).

But, when it comes down to it, eat what you like unless you have a medical problem and widen that energy gap to lose the lard.. No magic food combinations, no forbidden fruit ...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

I think you started this thread sincerely. Most times when someone starts a Lustig thread, they have some kind of orthorexic axe to grind. I also, applaud you're efforts to do better than your family history and be up to date on research.

The problem with someone like Lustig and why the draw such disrespect is they stop being a researcher and scientist and start being an extremeist advocate with an agenda based on fear mongering. That is why he is viewed by many with such disdain despite his PHD, which is no guaratee of inteligence and integrity BTW.

If you really want to learn more, one of the best sites you can utilize is James Kreiger's site, Weightology.com. He has credentials and is objective. Also, you can find lot's of good info on here in the group Eat, Train, Progress, especially in the "important posts to read" thread. I've put links to both below.

Absolutely :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Studies show a 100% of people die of something. Pick your poisons well and stay thirsty my friends.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Absolutely :)

Lol, who'da thunk a year ago that I'd make a post and you'd agree with it? :drinker: