Why exercise if you eat back the calories?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Because I like eating food and want to be healthier; win-win.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This is why I exercise and eat back pretty much all the calories.

Eating my exercise calories means I can have more food!
    Having more food motivates me to exercise for it.
    Exercise calories are the fuel that my body needs to do the exercise and build muscle mass.
    Eating my exercise calories will mean that I lose WEIGHT more slowly.
    But I will be losing pretty much all fat and not muscle mass
    If I do not eat my exercise calories, I will lose WEIGHT faster but it will be part fat and part muscle mass.
    Muscle mass burns calories just by being there, so I want to keep it!
    When I hit my target, I want to be toned and defined, not skinny fat.
    I do celebrate any loss on the scales that I have,
    But overall I pay more attention to body fat percentage and how much my body is shrinking.

There are lots of different opinions out there, I did some research and some thinking and this is what works for me.

xx

Nice, I like your avatar too, you look like a healthy happy human being, I wish you well :)
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    Because I like eating food and want to be healthier; win-win.

Yes. This.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Would someone be willing to explain this?

What impact will exercise have on your weight loss if you eat back the calories burned?

Why get up off your *kitten* at all if you can just sit in one spot all day, do nothing and eat your BMR????
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    Because my exercise goals and my weight loss goals are mutually exclusive. I've set myself up on MFP to adjust my diet to allow me to lose weight. I could not earn a single calorie through exercise and still lose weight at the rate I selected when I set up my program. Any exercise calories I earn are extras that allow me to either lose weight faster, or fuel my healthy lifestyle...or enjoy an indulgence from time to time.

The exercise is more about being fit and active and doing something that feels good. I'm just a better version of me when I find the time to exercise each day. Yoga, strength training, circuit training, cardio, skiing, hiking...it all contributes to me making better choices in all areas of my life. The nice little bonus is I get extra calories from it as well. It's like a present for a job well done.

The other reason is - I want to be able to eat as many calories as I can while continuing to lose weight. If that means I can eat 1,800 or 2,000 calories on a day when I eat well and work out hard, then that is way more sustainable for me long term than 1,200 or 1,400 calories every day, for forever. Because on the 1,800 calorie version of things, I never, ever feel like I'm on a diet. I feel like I'm making great choices.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm sure i am repeating what others have said but exercise is VITAL for health in every way. Building muscle and cardiovascular endurance helps your metabolism. Which, in turn, burns more fat and calories while you are just sitting.
    It even improves your mood so you are less likely to be depressed or stressed. (both triggers to over eating) Stress alone causes your body to hold onto fat. Our bodies don't know the difference between corporate or family stress and the stress of being chased by a wild Mastadon and potentially starving in the wilderness. It assumes that all stress will lead to postential starvation and, in an effort to survive, it hold on to fat to protect against potential harm.
    Besides, whats the point of being thin if you have no muscle tone or strength?
    And about eating back the calories, it helps your body build muscle and stay active. You don't need to eat them ALL back. I almost never do. But if you increase activity without increasing intake, your body will always be hungry for replacement energy and if you deny it for too long, you will lose the ability to make smart choices about feeding your body and grab the high fat/figh sugar foods that satiate that hunger quickly but is obviously empty. You are basically guaranteing you will shot yourself in the foot.
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Rule #1 is the reason for exercise:
    cardio-gif.gif

haha This! I want to be able to run when the zombie apocalpyse happens! (j/k) :laugh:

Seriously though, I exercise for the overall health benefits not just for the weightloss. For me I want to FEEL good. I want to be healthy and health is not just about weightloss (though it is, obviously, a factor).
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens with a calorie deficit. You can't let that deficit become too big or too small.

Rule #1 is the reason for exercise:
    cardio-gif.gif

AWESOME!!!!!!! That it TOTALLY why i do cardio too!!!!! just in case, man!
  • maabr
    maabr Posts: 5
    Options
    Lots of good comments to read. I also have been eating some of them back, although I have tried not to. So now I have something to think about - that it's not really hurting me to eat the workout calories.
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This is why I exercise and eat back pretty much all the calories.

Eating my exercise calories means I can have more food!
    Having more food motivates me to exercise for it.
    Exercise calories are the fuel that my body needs to do the exercise and build muscle mass.
    Eating my exercise calories will mean that I lose WEIGHT more slowly.
    But I will be losing pretty much all fat and not muscle mass
    If I do not eat my exercise calories, I will lose WEIGHT faster but it will be part fat and part muscle mass.
    Muscle mass burns calories just by being there, so I want to keep it!
    When I hit my target, I want to be toned and defined, not skinny fat.

I do celebrate any loss on the scales that I have,
    But overall I pay more attention to body fat percentage and how much my body is shrinking.

There are lots of different opinions out there, I did some research and some thinking and this is what works for me.

xx

Well put!!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be skinny fat again. I don't want to be winded when I run up the stairs. I don't want to lag behind on a group walk. I don't want to have to sit down after barely doing anything.

But, I do want more cheese in my life. So if I work out, I'm probably getting some cheese out of it.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    So, there are 2 basic beliefs when it comes to this topic.

1) Eating calories back is stupid. It's all about caloires in and calories out. Real scientists and qualified professionals are stupid. I am all knowing. Afterall I lost 110000000 lbs doing it this way!

2) If you don't eat back (at least a good majority) your exercise calories, you will create too large of a deficit and your metabolism will react in ways that is not desirable (I'm not going to say that dirty word). If you really want to dig into this, go seek qualified sources (not just on the interwebs, perhaps a library too, remember those). Most people here are armchair experts, who will just confuse you more.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Some great answers here! When you set up your goals on MFP, you already set a desired calorie deficit off your BMR to achieve the weight loss you are looking for. When you exercise, the calories you add back in are already under the deficit you set. You can use this several ways.
    - You can not eat back any of the calories. I agree with others that this is not the best choice but it is a choice. I think it can be used intermittently or for short periods to jump start a loss or burst through a plateau. Using it longer than a couple days at a time though is not advisable for the same reasons others have mentioned.
    - You can eat back just a portion of your calories. This offers flexibility in food choices and it's good to fuel your energy use. I've used this to maintain moderate weight loss in a healthy way. Remember, your deficit is already built into your base calorie rate so eating back just 50% of your burn still fuels your energy use but will also increase your overall deficit. I try to fill this partial eat back with nutrient dense food choices which are sometimes also calorie dense like nuts.
    - You can eat back all of your calories. If you want to slow your weight loss down to a managable rate, or if you are getting close to maintanence, this is a good choice. Also good if you are training for a specific event. Running and endurance need higher carbs and a consistent calorie feed. Weightlifing and strength needs more protein. It's desirable to have a healthy and maintainable weight loss. Too fast and you are almost certain to yo-yo.
    Hope this helps!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You exercise because it's good for your body. You eat right to lose weight.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I view it all like this:

eat less than you burn off to lose fat (although too big a deficit will cause problems including finding long term compliance difficult, it can lead to bingeing and rebound overeating, and it can result in loss of muscle and bone density... if you want to lose just fat, then don't have too big a deficit)

eat healthy foods to nourish your body properly (i.e. to provide enough protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water)

exercise for health, fitness, cardiovascular health, strong bones, strong muscles, vitality, longevity, to be strong, to be capable, to prevent loss of bone density (and prevent osteoporosis), to prevent loss of muscle mass (which slows your metabolism and makes you weaker), to protect your joints, to prevent a build up of visceral fat (visceral fat plays a big role in metabolic disease) and also to look good... diet alone will just make you a thinner version of yourself, healthy diet + exercise will transform your body into a fitter, leaner and more shapely version of yourself.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Because I don't want to be skinny fat again. I don't want to be winded when I run up the stairs. I don't want to lag behind on a group walk. I don't want to have to sit down after barely doing anything.

But, I do want more cheese in my life. So if I work out, I'm probably getting some cheese out of it.

^^This too! Love cheese. Definitely more cheese!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I find it kind of sad when people say they exercise to eat more. Is eating really that exciting a part of your day that you're willing to exercise just to obtain more food? IMHO, that's the mentality that leads to obesity in the first place.

Food is fuel for your body. It isn't your friend, your security blanket, your hobby, a reward, your lover or the reason to exist. Exercise is for fitness and feeling strong and healthy, not a gimmick to earn more food.

Most people over estimate their calorie burn (especially using MFP numbers) to start with and under estimate what they eat so doing 20 minutes of 30DS to earn more food seems really pointless.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    To actually become fit. I believe someone else said it best, so that you won't be "skinny fat". I want definition to my body. Exercise improves your overall health. It creates a sense of pride knowing you are taking care of your temple. Its a part of healthy living, not just losing weight. Thats what adds years to your life.