Why exercise if you eat back the calories?

Options

Replies

• ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I find it kind of sad when people say they exercise to eat more. Is eating really that exciting a part of your day that you're willing to exercise just to obtain more food? IMHO, that's the mentality that leads to obesity in the first place.

Food is fuel for your body. It isn't your friend, your security blanket, your hobby, a reward, your lover or the reason to exist. Exercise is for fitness and feeling strong and healthy, not a gimmick to earn more food.

Most people over estimate their calorie burn (especially using MFP numbers) to start with and under estimate what they eat so doing 20 minutes of 30DS to earn more food seems really pointless.

^^^^ THIS!!!!
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens with a calorie deficit. You can't let that deficit become too big or too small.

Rule #1 is the reason for exercise:
    cardio-gif.gif

Thank you! I needed this ^^ this morning!!! Atleast we know that when the zombie apocolypse happens we will have some form of cardio!!!!! But..............don't forget the little things!!!!!!

PS. Awesome post! I always wondered how this works too!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I find it kind of sad when people say they exercise to eat more. Is eating really that exciting a part of your day that you're willing to exercise just to obtain more food? IMHO, that's the mentality that leads to obesity in the first place.

Food is fuel for your body. It isn't your friend, your security blanket, your hobby, a reward, your lover or the reason to exist. Exercise is for fitness and feeling strong and healthy, not a gimmick to earn more food.

It's not about eating being the highlight of my day or anything. Then again, exercise isn't such a horrible chore - why wouldn't I be willing to do to it for such a small reason (never mind the myriad of other reasons stated in my post).

Food is fuel, and it's nourishment. It is also a huge part of all human cultures, and we have evolved to find physical pleasure in it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying food. Using it as a "security blanket" or a reason to exist is hugely problematic and psychologically unhealthy. That's not the only way to enjoy food though.

I enjoy it like I enjoy music, and art, and sitting in the sunshine, and walking the dog. It's a simple, sensory pleasure, and one worth savouring in what can be at times a pretty crappy life. I love sitting down to a plate of grilled salmon and broccoli, or the smell of a freshly baked loaf, or a piece of strong cheese with a glass of red. Am I really to be embarrassed or ashamed of that? I can promise you, none of those things made me obese.

In the context of calorie counting, having 1500 calories to consume in a day is a lot more manageable than 1300, and 1700 is more manageable than 1400. Having those extra calories isn't jut about fitting in treats, it can also reduce the stress of having to juggle meals and micromanage everything.

Honestly, I find the notion that food should not be enjoyed to be pretty sad.

ETA: there are other benefits in getting more food than just enjoyment. The more calories I get, the more easily I find I can hit my macro- and micro-nutrient goals.
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options

Most people over estimate their calorie burn (especially using MFP numbers) to start with and under estimate what they eat so doing 20 minutes of 30DS to earn more food seems really pointless.

Yes - food is fuel when you reduce it to it's simplest form. But, to deny that food is also part of people's lives and traditions vastly underplays the role food plays in the social fabric of people's lives. This is the real reason why people struggle - they eat because food does make us happy. But most people eat and they don't move enough. I think it's wonderful people exercise to eat more, because I believe exactly the opposite is what makes our society fat. People are eating more anyway. It's when you start to recognize the value in exercise allowing you to eat more that you gain the ability to start making changes to lead a truly healthy lifestyle.

I love cheeseburger. I want to eat cheeseburgers. I can't accept the fact that I have to go my whole life and never eat another cheeseburger. In the past, I just had the cheeseburger. I got fat. Now, instead of just eating the cheeseburger, I ski all day first. Or I hike. Or workout hard. Then...I have the cheeseburger, and I don't gain weight and I don't equate feelings of guilt with my cheeseburger.

I can live like that for all the rest of my life. I can't live the other way, because I want a cheeseburger, and I'm honest enough with myself to know I'll have it. If that makes my decisions sad or gimmicky, or my relationship with food weird to some, then so be it.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    so you can eat more and exercise is healthy for you
  • Julieann777
    Julieann777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your calories are already factored in so that you will lose weight optimally. I exercise to put myself in better shape, eating them back is a treat.

Absolutely. Love the treat method. Very encouraging.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Because my exercise goals and my weight loss goals are mutually exclusive. I've set myself up on MFP to adjust my diet to allow me to lose weight. I could not earn a single calorie through exercise and still lose weight at the rate I selected when I set up my program. Any exercise calories I earn are extras that allow me to either lose weight faster, or fuel my healthy lifestyle...or enjoy an indulgence from time to time.

Thank you!! And now I think about it, I guess my weight loss and fitness goals are mutually exclusive too. I never thought of it like that before.

Thanks everyone for their great answers :)
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Would someone be willing to explain this?

What impact will exercise have on your weight loss if you eat back the calories burned?

Why get up off your *kitten* at all if you can just sit in one spot all day, do nothing and eat your BMR????

:indifferent:
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Because I like eating food and want to be healthier; win-win.

BINGO!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I run for cookies.......
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Because I don't want to be skinny fat again. I don't want to be winded when I run up the stairs. I don't want to lag behind on a group walk. I don't want to have to sit down after barely doing anything.

But, I do want more cheese in my life. So if I work out, I'm probably getting some cheese out of it.

^^This too! Love cheese. Definitely more cheese!

Fantastic!!!
  • abc2003family
    abc2003family Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump. Can't wait to read all of these comments!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For many reasons:

Because I am petite and have a low BMR (1160-ish), so to lose weight I need to increase my TDEE to have a large enough deficit to lose weight. So yes, in a way I exercise to be able to eat more. I want to be able to have a burger or a beer or two once in a while. Not be stuck on 1200 calories a day to barely have a 300 caloire deficit.

I do weight training so I don't lose too much muscle mass. Also to help keep my bone density up.

I do cardio and HIIT to help my heart health and help lower my high blood pressure.

It also improves my mood and helps me sleep better.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you are setup at 1200 calories by MFP that puts you at a good deficit already so when you exercise you eat back what you need to get back to a 1200 calorie net. This should be a minimum, though I always suggest setting your calorie goal at your BMR (sedentry) and eating back your calories from there as your BMR is the minimum your body needs to function properly. If you set your calorie goal at TDEE-20% (taking your regular activities into consideration) then you would only need to meet that goal and never eat back your calories unless you do exercise above and beyond your regular routines.

Hope that helps in some way :)
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I've always eaten back my exercise calories. I'll tell you why I exercise:
    -for cardiovascular fitness
    -to maintain muscle mass (especially important while I was losing weight)
    -to maintain good bone density
    -to manage my moods and keep me sane (cardio)
    -to learn to do something (running) that I never thought I could do - massive confidence boost
    -because there is a lot of research that indicates that exercise helps ward off all kind of lifestyle-related diseases
    -because it's fun
    -to raise my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) so that I can eat more. Some people are a bit sniffy about this reason, but having a couple of hundred extra calories a day to consume makes a low calorie diet much more manageable, and enjoyable. I'm not ashamed to say I like to eat.
    -because since I started heavy lifting, my body looks a lot better than it did before, and than it would if I was just doing cardio
    -because it makes me feel strong and able to do physical tasks in every day life (and will hopefully reduce the risk of injury in such tasks)

There are probably a lot more. The reason I always ate those calories back was because I was following MFP the way it was designed (there are other ways) and to keep my calorie deficit reasonable. I didn't want to lose too much lean mass as I lost weight, and I didn't want to feel tired and lacking in energy. There was a time when my calorie deficit was too large (I always ate back my execise calories but my basic calorie goal was too low) and I felt tired all the time, had dizzy spells and my mood really suffered. I was trying to start running and never had the energy to put the required effort in. That would have been even worse if I hadn't eaten my exercise calories.

What she said.... Amen
    Individuals may vary a bit, the type and amount of exercise may be different, but being active will make you feel better, and reinforce the weight loss
  • julesassid
    Options
    If you eat, for example, 1500 calories a day, then exercise and burn off 800 of them, you are only netting 700 calories. That is no where near enough food. Your energy will sink, mood will worsen etc and your exercise will most likely suffer. I have lost weight so many times eating 1200 calories, but only netting a couple hundred because I didn't know better. I was crabby all the time cuz I love food. I was starving. Plus, the weight always came back, plus more. You will still be eating at a deficit when you back some or all of your exercise calories.

Very well said.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Would someone be willing to explain this?

What impact will exercise have on your weight loss if you eat back the calories burned?

Why get up off your *kitten* at all if you can just sit in one spot all day, do nothing and eat your BMR????
    She didn't ask whether or not she should exercise. She asked whether or not she should eat back the calories that she burned doing her exercise.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    here it what i was told
    my husband and i have a trainer and here is how she put it
    I dont have as much body fat and weight to lose as my husband so she has said that i should try and eat back about 1/2 of my calories burned until i get to my goal weight then i can slowly add more back . And my Husband as more to lose than i do and she said to us that he isn't to eat back ANY of his until he has his Body fat a lot lower