WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Jolene, sorry I took the piggy pic down! But it sure was cute, it's still in the pics on my profile page. You had a pet pig? Fun!
    Anyway, I changed my pic to reflect putting my specs on so that I could start studying a few subjects! One is food (never ending) and one is why we continue to feel so FAT when we see ourselves in photos! I don't need a photo, all I have to do is stand naked in front of a mirror :laugh: But we really must start working hard to gather some self-respect and love!! It's just as important as eating right. Let's try to be gentle with ourselves, and be proud that we've gotten this far. :heart:

:smile: jb
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla in NW Oregon: THANKS for advice about eating in Portland. I got the message. Got to download the app on my iPhone so I can keep up with every swallow. (Did I mention I love beer and haven't had one since mid-January). Like the take control of breakfast idea. We do have breakfast at hotel, and I'm going to be very careful about my choices there. I want to save extra calories for some of the delectable choices available later in the day. I WILL LOG EVERYTHING!!!
    :flowerforyou: Thanks Again!!!
    :happy: Love this forum, Ladies!!!

I'm hoping you have a great visit. Portland is known as a foodie town, but we also have great breweries. Good luck with figuring out how to ration your beer. :noway: I think of each one as a big piece of the richest possible birthday cake with lots of icing.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I found several Widmer beers in the data base, (DH's favorite brewer.) Deschutes and Rogue are good too but I didn't try to look them up. Have a good time.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • julbutcher
    julbutcher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Julie and I'm so happy to find a group of 50+ women! I joined myfitnesspal last year and never used it. I was on Weight Watchers and just cancelled my membership. I was losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I think it's because counting points does not mean you are getting the right amount of calories and balance of nutrients. I hope I will be successful using this website. So far, I've found it to be quite user friendly.

I am 56, or will be on March 30. I have a wonderful husband, 3 three handsome and happily married sons and 5 grandchildren between them! Active in the Episcopal church, I am an aspirant to the Diaconate. That being said, I am always taking care of others and put myself last.

My husband and I shoot for getting to the gym 3 times a week and usually succeed. I spend 45 minutes to an hour speedwalking on the treadmill and about 1/2 hour on the weight machines. Last week I added yoga to my routine. Yesterday, I did an hour of yoga practice and I can't tell you how much better I feel!

Well, I am going on a bit long. Thank you for being here! :smile:

Julie
    Massachusetts
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning ladies (or is that an oxymoron?:laugh: ) Well, winter had it's way with us here yesterday - a huge dump of snow and raging winds that left people stranded, cars in the ditch and highways closed. :noway: I had started out to church in the morning - a 30-40 minute highway drive - and when it started to snow,although the roads were not yet terrible, I was feeling a little apprehensive about the forecast for the day. So I sent off a text message, turned around and headed home, feeling a little bit of a wuss for my cowardly decision. However, a couple of hours later, as I looked out my window to the urban landscape swirling in blowing snow, I knew that I had made the right decision. Hubby did make it home, though I think it was a white knuckle drive with a vehicle going the wrong way down a divided highway at one point!!:frown: but others who had made the trek were stranded in towns and ditches along the way! Happy to have avoided that stress - AND I tackled the filing cabinet that has been put off for far too long with my quiet time at home....bonus!:wink:

Lila - Welcome back from what sounds like a fantastic trip. congrats on losing weight - a great bonus:smile: I am loving your new photo.

jmkmomm - Hope your birthday was better than expected. You go ahead and celebrate these special occasions - we have little enough celebration in our lives -find someone like minded and do something special that you love and let the naysayers watch!:wink:

Michelle - I think vegetarians can't have jello because any gelatin comes from an animal source - usually cattle I think. Not too sure about the 'pork fat' but definitely an animal source. I have a friend who has very strict vegetarian/vegan diet restrictions - I really have to think through what she can have - no meat, eggs, milk, dairy..... very hard to bake for her!

Barbie - thinking of you and hubby as he goes for surgery this week. Praying that all goes well.

Gail - wow! those machines sound amazing to do all that recording for you - that is fantastic! I love charting and recording - it lets me think that I have control,:ohwell: and lets me see honest feedback and patterns that I might not otherwise notice.

Jolene - Girl, let's look at where you have come from - your ticker says 80 pounds lost!! - and celebrate the improvements in appearance and how you are feeling and moving. That is fantastic :flowerforyou: . And yes, I think I too have those moments where I see the photo and think, 'I thought I looked so much better than that!' :embarassed: but then when I catch a glimpse of the 'before' photo, I think 'Wow! how did I let myself get THERE?! - and I HAVE come a long way already!!' :bigsmile: So celebrate the progress and keep pushing on!

Linda (sundance) - good to see you back posting. Do keep it manageable. I love hearing from you.

The snow and lingering cough discouraged me from heading to the pool today :frown: but my goal this week is to get back at the water,the greens and to start back at some exercise (and maybe even tackle filing cabinet #2?)....so time to move!

Start the week well ladies....and then keep on!

Glenda, in 'the revenge of winter' in southern Alberta
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    A good Monday morning to all! Just returned from hospital with DH. He had to have an esophageal dilation. He is on number 70-something since his esophagectomy for Barrett's 17 years ago. The scar tissue at the anastomosis has never stablized. The doctor says he is atypical and that would definitely be him. It seems so routine now and I know it really isn't. He is on soft food for the next two days and that always irritates him. He tries to tell me donuts and potato chips are soft food. Really? Oh well the doctor said things went well so hopefully he can go another six months before it needs to be done again. Anyway this gives me an opportunity to just feed myself and see if I can keep things under control. I have to go to work this afternoon and he usually sleeps a lot after a procedure. I see the dietician tomorrow and then I am going to use the gift card I got for a massage for my birthday in January. Yeah! Everyone take care, Sue in SD where the freezing rain has so far missed us.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    <>bump Barbie great banner for March.

Goal jog 4x a week
    Weights and yoga 3x a week
    Do better logging food and exercise.
    loose 3 to 4 pounds this month put into the 170's

Have a great month ladies
  • ekafont
    ekafont Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Goals for March:

1. Drink more water
    2. Do better logging my meals
    3. Exercise 5 to 6 days a week (currently at 3 days a week)
    4. Check and respond to posts daily - it is so much easier to stick to a plan if you feel like you are not alone
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Where did Feb go? Wow it zoomed past. I am glad for March though and so far so good. I have logged in every day and have done my weights each day too. My weights are only 3 pound weights but I have to start some place. I am working up to doing a few each day. so far only 15 reps and I did some sit ups and push ups but I am not that strong yet. OUCH!.
    Parent teacher conferences all day today. I have a sore throat from all that talking.
    Phyljen :smile:
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good morning fabulous ladies,:flowerforyou:
    Ok, I didn't make it here last night as sleep was calling my name! One more evening to work and then a day off!
    I feel strong and back to being committed to taking care of myself! I just love to exercise and needed to get back to the gym.
    I was only going to allow myself to be on here for 30 mins,but when I last wrote I was on page 6 and now we are on page 101 So, I will do like Barbie suggested and leave short notes on days I don't have much time.
    Welcome to all the new ladies!
    Be kind and self nurturing to yourself! You deserve it! Have a good day and week with your goals in mind each day! Healthier and Happier!
    Linda S Aka Sundanceb:heart:

Wisconsin-:flowerforyou: yes, do go get your mammogram, it really is not a big deal! Its called self care! You can do it and work on all your goals, we are here for you!

Jackie-:flowerforyou: great NSV! It must feel great to buy regular clothes!

Pauline-Cheshire England:flowerforyou: , it is funny how those who care for us like to bring us gifts of sweets! Maybe, they care for us a little too much! Make sure he eats them all!

Grandmallie-:flowerforyou: wow, that is a lot of cleaning to do in one day! Yes, you do need to rest your foot! I think we still have those hormones flying about, my DH sometimes says that “my other car is a broom” Lol. Tell us about the Gravity Defyer shoe. I have never heard of them.

Roz-:flowerforyou: for NSW Australia- welcome! Like your March goals!

Walkermom58:flowerforyou: great goals for March! Grazing or nibbling is one many of us are working on! You can do it as long as you count those calories!

Cooky56ny:flowerforyou: - Let us know what everyone recommends about the fitbit! It is so small that I would lose it for sure!

Ohiomomof2-:flowerforyou: that you for the reminder that we do need to take one day at a time, yes and tomorrow will take care of itself! This is a great way to start the day!

Jane in SLC- :flowerforyou: thank you for letting me know about your friend and the CTS! That was good news! You made my day! I am also like you I have not eliminated any foods, but I am trying to get sugar out of my diet.

Denise SE New Mexico-:flowerforyou: Love your goals for March. There is a great app on the IPhone called fooducate. It lets us scan a barcode of foods and it grades the food, based on sugar, fat, cholesterol etc. The great thing is that on the sire, it lists healthy alternatives. I love this app. I bought the one for diabetics( I am not a diabetic),it has more info re; carbs and sugars.

Cynthia :flowerforyou: –Indianapolis- good for you for maintaining for the month of Feb! I also did the same! You are lucky to have the time to exercise for 60 mins/day! I aim for 210 mins/week.This works out to 30 mins /day. I do more on most days, so then I don’t need to exercise everyday. I am just too busy! Good luck with those goals and we are here to support you on your way!

Kathy-:flowerforyou: ok then I am on my way to onederland too! I have 54 lbs to make it there! Congrats to you for being there!! Keep us motivated and I know it must feel great for you!!! Woot, Woot!!

Cheryl-:flowerforyou: Thanks for your kind words. I just want to ride away on your horse when I think about having another surgery. I have 7 in 4 years and now having to have 3 more! I am an older parent! My DD’s are going to be 14 and 16 in May! Pros and Cons to being an older parent! Would not trade it for anything in the world. Ha, Ha you are just like me, I too can eat anything when I am sick! Take care and take it easy so you can feel better soon!

Karen,:flowerforyou: great way to keep motivated with the basketball schedule! Yes, I too need to get more veggies in everyday!

Jb-:flowerforyou: love your March goals! Now just go and get your groove on!

Robin, Bodie boy and Ritter bit-:flowerforyou: Ok gurl you need to get your groove on too! Maybe those lights that give one the fake sunshine could help or getting a voodoo doll that represents that awful lady and sticking it with your frustration. Lol Are your still wearing the rainbow cloat that Kate gave you? There are some great ladies on here that have good advice about how to deal with terrible people in the work environment. Keep posting as we are here for you! You can get through this without letting your self care be destroyed. You deserve to take care of you and not let this situation bring you down. I know it is hard to do, but baby steps are all that is needed. Praying for you!

Katla49 -:flowerforyou: Its funny how men don’t seem to get the sweet thing. Maybe, its because they don’t have those hormones that have made them crave sweets once a month for 40-50 decades of life! Good for you for taking care of yourself!

LuAnn-:flowerforyou: good luck with the weigh in tomorrow! Just remember, its only one day in time!

Lin:flowerforyou: in C Iowa- good you are still reading and posting. Glad your foot got better. You are my motivation, so keep being there for us!

Jodios- :flowerforyou: thanks for the weight training info. I have always wanted to do yoga, but I cant get on the floor without kinda falling down to it(knees)! Do, you think there is hope that someone with one knee replacement and the other knee needed to be replaced can do yoga?

June from Missouri-:flowerforyou: Wow, you did an awesome job for feb! I like your goals and they are very motivating to me! You rock!

Geri-England:flowerforyou: - Do what ever works for you! Daily goals are good to have.

Lila- :flowerforyou: so glad to see you back! Glad to hear about your trip!

Jmkmomm- :flowerforyou: Belated Happy Birthday!

Rori-:flowerforyou: Colorado Hope your back is doing better. Don’t’ rush things and you will be “back” in no time!

Michel:flowerforyou: -Does the elliptical do this automatically or are you having it on manual and then increasing the level up and down. I think I will have to try this too!

Gail- Atlanta- :flowerforyou: wow, those are some hefty weight lifting goals! Good for you!

Mary in TN:flowerforyou: does the foot book talk about bunions and hammer toes?

Barbie:flowerforyou: thank you for your kind words! Praying, that all goes well for Jake. I myself have stayed in that same Hotel!

Liz –Caldwell Idaho- :flowerforyou: Love your goals, You will love the races. Good for you for having something to look forward too! You are doing a great job!

DeeDee-:flowerforyou: take care in that cold weather! Be kind and gentle and let your body heal completely! You will be much stronger and feel better!

Jolene- :flowerforyou: thank you for your support about surgeries. I don’t take pictures yet, so you are way ahead of me, but I am sure I will feel the same. Mostly now, I look at my pictures from the waist up and can’t believe how old and fat I look. I say –right now it is what it is, I am in the process of changing to a healthier me!

Glenda of the North( Alberta) –:flowerforyou: Your intuition was right about going back home. Take goog care of yourself in that harsh winter environment!

Sue in SDakota-:flowerforyou: good news about DH, well donuts and chips can be soft if he makes it into a soft lump when chewing! Men, they are so stubborn sometimes!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. had a very restless night. Had all sorts of plans for today, mainly taking care of my procrastinator problems. But not much restfull sleep and MS don't mix
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Haning in there. It is rough. She is so vile. Oh well. *sigh*

Have a great day.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    in the very cold PNW
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I started browsing through the posts this morning, and here it is almost 3 in the afternoon and I still haven't caught up! My DGD visited yesterday with her two adorable boys (4 years and 9 months old). They are a handful and my poor dog didn't know where to go without running into a toddler or a baby, but he sure loved having them for dinner cause he got to scrape up everything that went on the floor (a special treat for him!).
    I finally had spaghetti squash for the first time last week and I think I overcooked it. It was still pretty good, but a little mushy. I cooked it on 350 for an hour according to a recipe I had, but I guess I have to check it at around 40 minutes or so to get it right. I had it with my homemade pasta sauce and seasoned ground turkey. It was quite delicious, I must say! Being Italian, it'll never replace pasta, but it'll be a good substitute now and then. I also got Kale and plan to make Kale chips. I never had either before, so I'm excited to be trying new things courtesy of MFP.

:flowerforyou: So many newcomers! Welcome to all and join right in.

:flowerforyou: M - I know you want to see that scale move, but the real success is in losing those inches, so congrats on your size 8's!

:devil: Grandmalle - The Easter bunny is EVIL! I also went through something similar to your situation with you SIL. When you are sick and in pain (and you have been feeling both lately), these issues seem impossible to resolve, but time is a gentle healer. I am praying that things improve for you soon.

:smile: Jackie - It's so much fun to go dress shopping when things actually look good on you! That dress sure sounds sexy. Work it, girl!

:flowerforyou: Amanda - So sorry you had a rough go with your dad. It's always best to leave the past behind and live in the present. I hope your dad can do that now that he's gotten it out of his system.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee - Obviously, diet and exercise has paid off for you, so enjoy those well-deserved compliments!

:laugh: Sue - Don't you know that the "pretty" comes AFTER the exercise? lol

:grumble: Robin - So sorry about your troubles at work. It sucks to come to work every day when you are so unhappy. I hope that things improve soon or at least you can find an alternate solution (another job?)

:happy: Cheryl - Such beautiful pics of you and your horse! You look so happy!

:glasses: Jane in SLC - Have a wonderful time in Disney!

:smile: Renny - We get mammogram reminders in the US too. Unless there were prior problems, insurance allows once a year exams.

:laugh: Gail - Thanks for the visual! I was ROLF when I read your spanx adventure!

:flowerforyou: jmkmomm - Happy Belated Birthday! Everyone deserves to be remembered on their birthday. I hope you enjoyed that cookie without guilt....you deserved it!

:heart: Barbie - Prayers going out for Jake's successful surgery.

:wink: Katla - Sure sounds like you had a fun day. Kids and animals are always a great combination.

:tongue: Gail - Those are some ambitious goals for 2013!

:noway: Glenda - More snow! I think I would just hibernate until I saw some green. Spring can't get here fast enough for me!

Have a wonderful day....less than a week to daylight savings time!!!

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Okay, all this talk of spanx and I just had to go track down this link!!

http://crappypictures.com/i-tried-on-spanx-and-almost-called-911/

"Birthing myself through a spanx vagina"........had me laughing out loud!!:laugh:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Just popping in again for my daily Vit. F. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

The weather forecast was wrong again and luckily this time we had little ice accumulation overnight and right now the sun is out and the temperature is not bad at all. I guess snow really is on the way for us tonight and/or tomorrow. But I've enjoyed getting some errands done today without slipping about on the roads.:wink:

It's been years since I had a blood test for Vitamin D. Decided now was the time. Original test was after I found out I had celiac and was quite deficient at that time. I've been taking a vitamin that has vitamin D but I want to see if it really is enough.

Also thankfully the back-up glasses I'd ordered arrived and I zipped over to pick them up. The tech had measured me for the bifocals and wow, did a super job on them. They're perfect. :heart:

And to the grocery store for another bunch of curly kale to make chips again tomorrow. Yes, finally, I've found a way that I can eat kale. YEAHYEAHYEAH!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Wishing everyone well. Be healthy, be safe, and drink your water.:drinker: :drinker:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question/contemplation (maybe I am the only one that does this):blushing: Do you ever start feeling really good about what you have accomplished in weight loss and start thinking how great it is that you can wear smaller sizes and everyone tells you how terrific you look:bigsmile: …and then someone snaps a picture of you:grumble: and you get a peek at it:noway: . Then you start with the self-loathing and the what the heck am I feeling so good abou:explode: :angry: :mad: t? Look at me I still look …FAT:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: !

I have this happen to me all the time. Does anyone else ever feel like this?:huh:
    Just curious if I am the only freaked person out here, lol.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Jolene, I have a nutrition coach who recommended I take a photo of myself from before I started losing and then take photos along the way so I can really see the progress. Then, she said I should actually "talk" to those earlier photos about how I was helping that lady move forward... and encouraging her not to go back to that.... In a way it removes me from who I was before.
    I totally get what you are saying though. I am feeling great, my clothes are getting looser, then I go try something on that I want to get back into.... and it is still too small... I start to get frustrated...but I MUST keep that inner voice positive. This isn't an easy journey at our "chronologically gifted" age!!! Hang in there!!!

xoxo
    Tammy
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie!!:flowerforyou:
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gail, thanks for explaining how you’ll keep track of your goal of lifting 2 million pounds…..those machines sound awesome…..since I do my weight training at home, I think I’ll just stick to my goal of doing my weight training three times a week. I average twice a week but want to get to consistently doing three times a week.

:flowerforyou: Jb, it’s frosty here too……thanks for the added info about the value of drinking water…..even after four years of this, I still keep a piece of paper in the kitchen to make tally marks for my glasses of water so I don’t get sloppy about remembering.

:flowerforyou: Kathyszoo, your stepdaughter sounds a lot like mine….it took me awhile to learn to keep my mouth shut.

:flowerforyou: Jolene, I have felt exactly like you do which is why it is so important to stay focused on my daily habits and behaviors and congratulate myself on successfully staying on the right path……it took a long time before I stopped feeling fat and horrible so I had to ways other than the scale and the mirror to evaluate how well I was doing…..do not be discouraged….I keep a photo in my wallet of me when I started this journey so I can remind myself of what I used to be like.

:flowerforyou: Jeri, congrats on doing your strength workout….we can do it.

:flowerforyou: Julie from Massachusetts, you’ve made a great beginning and joining with us will help you continue your good practices one day at a time forever.

:flowerforyou: Glenda, your weather description has made me extra grateful for the sunshine and frost this morning.

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD, I send you hugs as you care for your hubby…..make him something healthy in the blender.

:flowerforyou: Phyllis, I started with lighter weights and gradually increased……do you have ankle weights?

:flowerforyou: Lin, I’d never had a vitamin D test until last month and it turned out a little low so I added a supplement

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Jake’s doctor called while I was at line dance practice to say that all went well with the surgery so I went off into a corner and called all the people on the list Jake gave me (the people who wanted an immediate report after the surgery)…..later he called, groggy the first time and more coherent and eating lunch later so all is well…….I’ll go pick him up in the morning…..I’ll have to leave here about 7 AM to get an early enough ferry to be at the hospital by 10 AM…….thank you for all your prayers and good wishes…

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cool Sundance - I'm not the only Mom with kids still in school on here - mine are 11, 13, 17 and 34. The 17 is a step-daughter although I often forget that.

I am still sick, sick, sick. Daytime tv stinks. On a positive note, my fitbit just came in the mail. It's charging now. Yaaaaayyyyyy!!!1
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's been a busy day so just time for a short post. They are forecasting 6-10 inches of snow (on top of the 9 we still have on the ground). It is March right...isn't Spring suppose to hit sometime this month???? After work I plan to run errands because if the weather service is correct then I'm planning on staying in tomorrow.:laugh:

Barbie - hope Jake is doing well post surgery:heart:
    Sundance - chair yoga would be perfect for you. No worrying about getting up and down on the floor:noway:
    Glenda - thanks for the link...I've decided I'm never ever trying on Spanx:bigsmile:

Have a great day and those of you in the upper mid-west stay safe tomorrow. Jodios
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Afternoon or is it evening Chica's,
    Just got home from work a bit ago and my husband bit my head off because I gave him all the mail:grumble:
    so I ran for the freezer and was bad~ I had 3 of the mini marhmallow eggs- 160 calories of pure bliss, I am under my calorie count ,but high on the sugar end of things:angry:
    Oh well ,good news though I got on the scale this morning and dont know what happened lost 1.6 in a day or 2... :smile:
    im getting down there... I will make it to the gym in the morning. Will check out that book nanna suggested and hopefully get some help with heel....
    Well my DGD sent us 5 boxes of girl scout cookies,now what? and there are thin mints,mmmmmmm
    maybe will have my hubby take them to work , or maybe I will take them to work. But dont want to keep them here:noway: It was sunny but very cold and windy today.. come on SPRING... so glad to have sweet friends here to comiserate with here,,,
    hoping your day was fine and dandy~ Barbie Cat glad Jake did well in surgery.