WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Looking at everyone’s goals. Lots of motivation going around! Here are my goals for March –
    Get my weight-training program back on track.
    Continue training on the bike for the SLC Marathon ride on April 30.
    Do not gain weight while on vacation.
    Add some sort of movement into my workday so I can blow off some stress.
    No snacking after dinner. :grumble:

I was getting a mammogram every year. Doc would send out a notice. But since they changed the recommendations, I get one every 2 years. I’m not good at remembering to do my self exams…:ohwell:

Michele – When I do Zumba, I flail and stumble. But I have a smile on my face the entire time.:bigsmile: It is a lot of fun. Renny – you will have a blast.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Geri – What’s going on? Sorry you are struggling. :heart:

Soft Blonde – Knee problems. Bummer. Are you able to get access to a pool? As for diet plans, here's my suggestion: keep it simple. Choose one change and just focus on that for a while. Once you see that it’s not so hard, add another. I’m like Katla. I have not eliminated any food. I just learned to cook healthier and to start recipes with unprocessed foods – fresh tomatoes instead of canned, etc. Check out healthy cookbooks from the library and experiment.

Sundance – Sorry about the carpal tunnel. :cry: I was also just diagnosed. Was told to wear a brace at night. Seems to be helping. I have a friend who had the surgery – open, not endoscopic – and was back at it in no time.

Jackie – WOW! You will have to share pics of your new dress. I bet it looks fantastic. You must feel great! :bigsmile:

Pauline – yes – partners can be a problem! :grumble: Thank him for the chocolates, and put them in the freezer. Then, have one or two on a special occasion. Nowadays, when my husband asks what I want, I tell him something health related. As a result, I now have an exercise bike, new skies, and snowshoes. Seems to be working out OK… :happy: :happy: :happy:

Grandmallie – I think I just went through a PMS thing, too. Sigh. :grumble: Hope the gym helps.

Roz – Welcome! Who’s Tony Ferguson?

Pamela – You posted, so you’ve joined. Welcome! :smile: I’ve had a similare struggle, and based on what I hear from others, I’m mindlessly grazing at night after dinner. Added that to my list of bad habits to work on this month.

Cynthia – 3 pounds to Onderland! YAY for you! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Wessecg – Love the pic of your horse. Riding is great exercise. And there’s nothing wrong with walking. However, after age 50, a woman loses muscle mass at twice the rate of a man. So, some sort of strength training is advised. I see my 85 year old mother struggle to walk – all because she has no muscle tone. She refused to do strength training because she didn’t like to exercise. Now she may have to give up her independence because of it. :frown: Something to keep in mind…
    Hope the cold/flu is short-lived.

JB – Love the goals!

Robin – So sorry you are feeling badly. May I suggest some exercise? Get out of the house and walk or bike or something. It’s bound to make you feel better.

LuAnn – hope your weigh-in goes well!

Jane in SLC
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,131 Member
    Options
    Hello dear Vitamin F friends - once again I've been reading your posts but not commenting much. But you are so appreciated!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Grandmallie - I have not tried the shoes you mentioned but did struggle for a long time with plantar fasciitis (and I could not put my foot down given the heel pain). I did go to a foot doctor. There were lots of suggestions but it took quite a while to get better. They taped my foot a number of times. They gave me an orthotic to put in my shoe. I was told to NEVER walk without my shoes on---no barefoot, no slippers, nada. They also gave me a number of stretches to do multiple times a day. I did them each time I went to the rest room. It did get better but a tremendous amount of patience was needed. (Not one of my strengths.)

Wishing you well and fast healing.

Also best wishes to everyone as we work to become healthier.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies,
    again I apologize for the rant::embarassed: sorry if I was out of line~did get to the gym and did an hr there,the only thing I can really do is the recumbent bike and the machines... Im glad im not the only one that is suffering or has suffered with this problem...
    Before I get out of bed I take a towel and stretch my foot, I also roll a frozen water bottle under my foot at least once a day.Has anyone heard or tried Gravity Defyer shoes, they are on the expensive side, but I need to keep moving and losing and I am getting desperate:wink:
    I am going to guess it is allergies that have me sneezing up a storm, because everytime I m outside I have a sneezing fit and my eyes itch..because of my PKD I cant take allergy meds so I suffer through.
    making pork chops and scalloped potatoes for the DH and I will have a baked pork chop with some applesauce and green beans. It feels good to just sit with my foot up for a bit, then I am going to soak in a nice tub.A hot tub would be nice:happy:
    Well ladies enjoy the afternoon.. and have fun

Ladies

I have being reading many posts lately about plantar fasciitis . Don't know if it helps but I had a relatively new treatment for chronic symptoms a few years ago which, touch wood has cured it. I think it is called extracorporeal shock wave therapy. I needed three sessions of approx 3 minute , exactly a week apart at the discomfort level I could stand. It was excruciatingly painful but well worth it!

Also had a gait scan which meant I could have personalised heel inserts. I also go to a chiropractor once a month to keep me adjusted!,
    You ladies have my sympathy and support. If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to message me

Jo
    Wales UK
  • chux50
    chux50 Posts: 3
    Options
    New to the community boards. I am having trouble getting started so I started looking and you all seem like a great bunch. Thank you for sharing.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Taught yoga this morning – huge class and lots of fun. Going to do level one of JM 30ds (not feeling up to level 2 today – really just being a chicken :laugh: ).
    A couple of you asked about my favorite strength training DVD’s so here is the list. Note, I hate to strength train so I try to keep them short and sweet. Also, I try to get cardio in as well to up the calorie burn so I’m a big fan of circuit training. Most of these are considered intermediate level. I have not done any Jared Love since she is more advanced as is Cathe Friedrich and some of Amy Bento Ross…I hope one day I work up to them.
    Hollywood Trainer: Total Body Circuit: 2 30 minute circuits of old school lifts. I like to do both for an hour as that covers all the muscle groups
    Personal Training with Jackie: Power Circuit Training. Options to string together upper, lower and abs. Very straight forward
    Also from Jackie Warner Xtreme Timesaver Training…30 minutes and intense
    Kelly Coffey’s 30 minutes to Fitness series. I have Your Best Body, but she has a number of other strength training DVDs. Some reviewers didn’t like her voice so you might want to check out clips of her videos on collagevideo.com
    Chris Freytag 10 Pound Slim Down. 20 minutes of upper, lower, abs, total body and yoga each you can string together for longer workouts – I really sweat when I do this
    Michelle Dozois also has some good circuit training DVD’s that tend to be more advanced.
    I also like a number of toning DVD’s:
    Brooke Burke’s Strength and Conditioning – 1 hour long with 3 parts focused on upper, lower and abs. You do reps for a minute and trust me it is burning at the end of that minute…use your own body weight for the most part
    Ellen Barretts Slim Sculpt – pilates based using light weights which feel heavier and heavier as you go
    Of course Jillian Michaels – I’ve got a bunch of her’s (Target and Costco have great sales on her DVD’s)
    I have a Tracy Long strength training DVD and also some from the Firm but I tend not to do them very often – not sure why.

Grandmallie – better to vent in writing vs. with food. Family fights/issues are so hard. Good luck with DD and DGD

Cheryl – looks like you were having a great time on your horse Saturday. Feel better

Jade – I need to schedule a mammogram too but its only been a year for me. Breast cancer runs in my family. Please don’t put it off any longer. No reason to feel self conscious with yoga – its all about how you feel not how you look doing it. Tell your instructor you are new and she/he will make sure to keep and eye on you and help you as you learn (trust me I teach yoga and had 9 new folks in class today…my big concern is that they have proper alignment so they are safe and feel fantastic after class)

Jane – I haven’t made a lot of progress in the book but I like the idea of focusing on changing one habit at a time and so far I think their suggestions on how to change have been helpful.

Renny – I love zumba – have fun and let loose! Enjoy the massage with DD

Gail – thanks for the spanx story…you put a smile on my face!

Robin, Geri and Linda S – hang in there

Jackie – congrats on that great dress and the curves it shows off

Pamelalk – start walking and then short jogs along the way. Pretty soon you’ll be jogging more than walking

Welcome to all the newbies – this is a great group. FYI you can go to the community tab click on my topics and you’ll easily find this tread again

Well I’ve stalled long enough time to do the 30ds! Have a great day. Jodios
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun!
    Just got back from donating blood.The 1st time I ever did.
    Have a great day!!
    HUGS
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,781 Member
    Options
    wel I had a nice post all ready to go and the dog hopped on the bed and deleted the whole darn thing:grumble:
    cooked and baked alot today,alot of stuff for the DH he has to have his snacks for work..
    just had a baked pork chop and steamed veggies for early dinner, DH had shake and bake pork chop and scalloped potatoes.I also made myself wacky mac pasta(vegetable bow ties ) with sauce and steamed veggies and boca crumbles in it, had to add just a touch of parmesan cheese, so 2 lunches or dinners set for me..The DH took one look at that and said I know thats not for me lol
    Hope everyone's afternoon is eventful and enjoyable...:heart:
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Feb. is gone and Mar is here. I had a good Feb. and achieved most of my goal
    s#1) I lost 8 pounds (had 9 gone but gained one back...darn it)!
    #2) I exercised most everyday for an hour .
    #3) I had a min. of 8 glasses of water per day, some days more,
    #4) I did exercise patience with myself, especially when I gained back that pound that I had lost and still have around... and,
    #5) I have logged in daily with my food and exercise.
    March Goals:
    #1) Lose min. of 11 pounds and make it to at least 204 pounds by Easter,
    #2) Increase my exercise by 10 mins. per day to make it 70 mins daily,
    #3) Increase my water by 1 glass per day to make it 9 glasses min. daily,
    #4) Continue to be kind to myself and support others when needed.s
    I haven't had time to read all these post, but I will. Have a great month!!

June from Missouri
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    Can I join this awesome group? I dropped 11 and now two weeks have zipped by without a change. :angry:

Goals for March:
    1. Log in everything.....even candy. I am sucking on one now and I haven't logged it.
    2. Work on squats, lunges, stair stepper, and leg lifts 3-4x weeks. My thighs are ridiculous.
    3. Give my exercises a push.
    4. Drink more water.
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    supposed to be 80's today in Phoenix....overcast though so I doubt it will happen. :bigsmile:
    just as well..............because once it's 80....110 is not far behind it. usually in May:explode:

have a great week all you lovely MFP followers. don't forget to drink the water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :wink:
    Barb in AZ
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday to all.... ran an errand or two after church today, including the grocery store. As I was putting the items away I took out all the dibs and dabs of little leftovers and made a yummy soup for lunch. DH is working until 7p today, so it only had to appeal to me!

Last weekend he made the meals for the week and, aside from the dibs/dabs, there was still 1 1/2 cooked chicken breasts left. I cut those up and mixed them with mushrooms, rice and some of the soup liquid for a casserole one night this coming week. Also took salmon and ground turkey from the freezer to the fridge for another couple of nights. Another day I'll put a small pork loin roast in the crockpot for the day. Since DH works retail/grocery store pharmacy hours, he isn't usually home before 9:30/10p, and I eat way before him most nights. Typically there is a YOYO night, so that will probably do it for us.

We found out yesterday that neighbors of ours have lost their house and they were moving out this weekend. It has made me feel so sad. They had the closing appointment right before ours (it was a new neighborhood), so we met them there almost 6 years ago. When I came home from church/errands today they were outside so I went to talk with them for a few minutes and say goodbye. They had been through so many similar struggles as us with job loss/unemployment, family issues, etc. Nice family and I'm so sorry for this end. He said, though, that in a way it is a relief. They still owned their previous home, too, went through their savings, etc., tried to get the bank to rework the loans,, etc., but it just finally came down to this.

Well, have to get on to my chore list. I've been lax this week!! Will post February results and March goals later.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good evening sweetpeas & welcome to new friends. i hope you're all doing well.

I've wandered off track (yet again:ohwell:) but resolve to do better. I can't think of monthly goals that I can get on with so I decided to have daily goals. Nothing wildly imaginative, just simple things like log every day, drink at least 8 cups of water etc. That way I can see I've achieved something each day.

My cardiologist confirmed I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or an enlarged heart but not bad enough to require medical intervention. The sad thing is that it is genetic so my son has to be tested & I would be devastated if our grandson was affected.

On a positive note my mammo was normal. Get checked ladies!!! It's uncomfortable for a few minutes but could save your life.

Our darling grandson Ethan is 11 weeks old now & I can't imagine life without him. He is such a sweetie with a cheeky, mischieveous smile.

I wish you all a good week of healthy eating.

Geri in England
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm back home and I think back in the swing of things. I absolutely loved the time with my daughter and we had a marvelous time with her showing me all the new places and meeting all the new faces in her life. She walked my legs off and we visited quite a few cities in the Netherlands and a couple in Belgium too. Long story short - I lost another couple of pounds while away due to all the walking (and no snacking at all). I didn't particularly avoid any foods, just moderation. Loved the trip, loved the company, loved the masses of flowers, did some spring shopping, hated the goodbyes, but nice to be back home as well.

After a nine hour flight, I couldn't do the connector hop back to my little town because of a late season snowstorm. So got back to work a day late and have been scrambling ever since. Catch up stuff and had to be prepared for start of collective agreement bargaining on Friday, then judging provincial high school debate championships on Saturday. Today, I AM DOING NOTHING except the usual housework, laundry and dog walking, meal planning and preps for the upcoming week, etc. I'm still challenged with the jet lag but have used it to reset my internal clock and am now getting up earlier and going to bed earlier - hopefully I will sleep better and be more productive in the morning. I like having extra time in the morning before work. Dogs appreciate the extra walking too now we have some earlier light (well until DST kicks in).

I think I will spend a little time reading back posts today for a bit, but only move forward.

Glad to be back on the board and looking forward to posting with all of you.

Lila
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Bump again! I have been writing all day and need to continue to work. Had a "break" as I forgot a book at work and had to drive all the way there to get it! Be back tomorrow! MEg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,781 Member
    Options
    well I am sitting here tucked in bed sneezing my fool head off:grumble: and even though I am under my calorie count I am over in the sugar dept..
    Oh well tomorrow is another day. just took a short snort of nyquil hoping that will at least take care of some of this....
    I have to say it feels good sitting here tucked under the covers with my lil boy(Homer the toy poodle mix) laying on the bed with me.think I am gonna just read a bit and go to sleep early and get up early and get to the gym early, lot's of early there huh?:wink:
    they way my bedroom sits is that I have 2 windows straight ahead ,when the sun sets it is beautiful, and the window to my left has the window feeders on it.. so I can hang here and watch the birds too.
    I found a website that has beginner yoga that I might try and do,seeing that this heel is giving me issues.
    enjoy your evening ladies:heart:
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just realized that I'm doing JM Ripped in 30 not 30ds which explains why you guys are talking levels and I'm talking weeks. I did do week 2 and it was tough, but I keep reminding myself it's only 24 minutes so it won't kill me....although I'm already feeling a bit sore sitting here typing:laugh: Have a great rest of the day. Jodios
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump for ladies:smile: 50 plus
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I decided that I am not able to go back and read the 8 pages so I better be OK with that. Today is my 63rd birthday. My emotions are totally complaining although my body reminds me that it's true. I am a procrastinator, in fact I think I am the president of any procrastination club. My cat is losing hair, I still haven't done anything about a YMCA membership, I still don't have anew charger for my Nook color and I still haven't paid a bill that is 2 months over due. So I need to change all of those. But I continue to be right on targe with my goal of 1 pound a week.
    Birthdays in my family aren't that great, at least for me they aren't. My husband thinks any celebrations are useless, senseless. One daughter left me a note on face book but she is going out to eat with us tonight. The other daughter hasn't acknowledged it, my siblings haven't called. I did have one friend that left a face book note. So I am getting more down in the dumps as the day goes on. My Mom would have called and reminded all of them my birthday a couple of days ago and then asked them again today if they called me.
  • kfred711
    kfred711 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Just wanted to join this wonderful group.... I'm 62 & recently re-joined MFP in January. I have been pretty diligent about logging in & exercising & keeping my calories in check. It's a slow process, but I have found some good friends here who are very motivating which makes it so much easier.
    Please feel free to friend me & let me know what works for you. I have done JM30DS which was very rewarding. Right now I'm trying JM Ripped in 30 & The Butt Bible.
    Looking forward to keeping up with everyone.
  • kfred711
    kfred711 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, jmkmomm!