WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I'm new so nothing to report for February.

March goals

Get a mammogram and stop being a baby about it, it's been several years since I had one.

Wisconsin

:flowerforyou: Yes you should go. In Canada, women get a reminder in the mail, depending on their age. How is that in the USA? But thanks for the reminder in any event, because I have to set up an appointment for a repeat one. 6 months ago they were not happy. So wish me luck.

:bigsmile: On another note, I signed up for Zumba classes Monday evenings. Wish me luck...or whatever it is you wish to wish me :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Did a 55 min walk this morning - training for the 10K at the end of April. Do you know what a great workout walking is? Do you? If it were not for the training clinic, I would have been sitting on the couch, drinking coffee, chatting on the phone with my mom (did that later) and hanging out with DH (doing that now)

:flowerforyou: So far, today's veggie/fruit challenge is going okay. Had a fruit smoothie after the walk, had a great salad at lunch and we are having a stuffed baked potato for dinner. I actually had no snack in the afternoon, totally forgot about it. We had a number of visitors coming and going, so I drank water (better that way). DH said - whilst I was serving tea - don't we have any cookies in the house, I said: NO! (and no apologies to the visitors :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ). Honestly, what is he thinking? That I am going to keep cookies in the house? How could that be working well for moi?! Besides the visitors had just finished lunch. It's the Dutch thing in him. Visitors should be offered a cookie. But I digress.

:flowerforyou: Tomorrow is promising to be a great day. I am treating DD to a Spa outing (it was her birthday gift - birthday was in October, but what can I say, this was finally a good time for her and me both). We are going for a relaxation massage, have lunch, then saunter around a little town called Sydney, BC and browse through the bookstores. (it is bookstore heaven there).

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Two stores and 10-15 + different pieces of Spanx/Spanx-like products and I have to say I just don't think I care that much. It did, however, provide great entertainment and giggling! Compress one part and - poof - there was a new bulge somewhere else. One piece had so much compression I couldn't even get it up past my thighs -- and I'm about a size 12. One I got into -- mostly -- and then was pretty much stuck. The clerk came back in and said, "oh, yes -- you need help to put these on properly!" Yeah.... 'cuz we all have someone who helps us dress each day. If I could have gotten there I would have been ROFL !!

The dress should arrive Tuesday and I'll keep the items until then. In the meantime I've also found an alternate source for the dress that has more sizes available. I think I'll stick with my control top pantyhose and see if I just need a new slip. Clearly I'm more into comfort than style and fashion. At least it has amused me all day.

And BTW, there should be an exercise added to the list on MFP -- you can work up quite a sweat trying on these things!!

Gail, in c-o-l-d metro Atlanta
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Gail-You had me ROFL!! Been there, done that. I'm with you- rather be able to breathe and dance then wear one size smaller!! Thank you so much! One of my goals is to laugh out loud each day. I hadn't had that happen yet today.

Deb A in CNY
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Amanda - I'll say you had a week!!! I'm so glad that you're not holding in anger against your mother. True sign of maturity. Good luck at the hospital

grandmalle - one of the hardest things I had to get used to when we moved to NC was the fact that the Y doesn't open until 1. Now I usually do something at home. It just wouldn't work for me to go so late. Then they close at like 5. Hope you had a great time out last night. I usually look up calorie counts, too, when we go out.

MA from the Midlands - welcome. With a goal of "being positive", I'm sure you'll make your other goals

DeeDee - yes, it WAS awesome to see the last shuttle go up. Our condo is right across the river from the VAB so we had front row seats without crowds. Afterwards, I was laying by the pool just watching the bumper-to-bumper traffic on Route 1. I don't think there's any greater motivation than compliments from friends.

Well, off to yoga. I think tomorrow I'll do some balance games on the Wii.

Linda - thanks for the poem.

Carol in NY - you're doing just fine.

uwarriedgold (did I spell that right?) - using the microwave is a good thing. When we travel, I many times will take my own food with me. I preportion it out at home and then logging is much easier. I'll take sandwiches, fruit, dried fruit, nuts, popcorn, jerky, lots of other stuff. Good luck to you!

*****cat - congrats on the great loss!

bevmacarthur - welcome! I know how it is not being able to exercise. A few years ago I broke a bone in my foot. Had to wear that **** boot and couldn't exercise. I thought for sure I'd go out of my mind. Then I had to start back slowly but now I'm back to full speed.

Sue in TX - I can't wait for it to be lighter longer. Maybe this year I'll be able to get my bike out some

skuehn - I love just about any kind of fish. Good for you getting in so much! I'm sure that's helping you with your protein goal, too.

Gotta run to church now. Made cheese biscuit balls to take to Mexican Train this week. A friend sent Vince an email saying that his wife's dad passed away, so I'll probably give them some. Then made some spinach bacon tartlets just to have something in the freezer. Then prepared (but didn't cook) the fish we'll have Monday.

katla - glad you were't hurt badly. I bet the yoga DID help

Harriet in GA - impressive weight loss! I have no doubt that you'll make your goal. You are such an inspiration to all of us. Welcome

For all those doing the 30DS - I STILL can't do the surrenders (you know, where you hold a weight over your head, then go down on one knee, then the other, then get up). That just doesn't work for me. I ALWAYS need help getting back up. I can't remember if it's in this tape or not, but I know that in one of the tapes I have you do a sit up, then stand up, then sit down, then lay down. I just can't get to the standing position fast enough. Oh well, I just do more situps, that's all.

Just made some oatmeal raisin cookies for the gal who watched the pool for us while we were in FL. We came home a day later than we expected so I asked her to pick up any newspapers we might have (we had them held and asked that they be delivered the day before we came home). She made a sort-of request for a soft oatmeal cookie so I made her some, will give away the rest.

LizPlus - so sorry your getting dizzy. Hope it goes away real soon.

grandmalle - I'm from the Northeast, grew up there. I don't remember ever hearing about a place called "the 99". Sorry to hear about dd's bf.

katla - have a great time with your daughter and gd. Isn't it something how some people need extra calories? I'd love to give them some.

Cheryl - what a majestic horse you have, so glad you got to ride him

50ish foodie - To be honest, I'm really not that far into "Coach Youself Thin". I bought it just in case the race was rained out, but it wasn't.

Jane in SLC - the one thing that amazes me about being over 50 is the fact that having lived thru a lot, I can now to a greater extent see that actions have consequences, sometimes much later in life. I can see my kids doing certain things and know what will happen but I also know that I shouldn't say anything, they will need to find out for themselves.

Wisconsin - if after watching the yoga instructor, you still can't figure out what's expected of you, just ask. I've never known an instructor who didn't appreciate someone asking a question. I always told my kids "the only dumb question is the question that isn't asked".

Gayla - happy birthday!

jodios - which DVD's for strength train would you suggest? I like the Jari Love ones.

Rebel - I think it really depends on the place. I know that I used to get a reminder to get my mammogram when I was in PA. Good luck in zumba. I am just too uncoordinated, I got the zumba for the Wii and will try to at least learn the basics at home. I haven't really been able to do it much since I was babying my achilles. But that's pretty muchly healed up now. So I'm going to go back and try it again.

I just got so very sleepy, will get ready for bed now. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • pinalety
    pinalety Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My goal for March is to drop 7 lbs and reach 169.
    Exercise 5 x's week 35 minutes a day.
    Eat smaller portions of calorie dense foods
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Harriette, I am inspired by you…..it’s easy for me to do all my walking because I have no physical limitations but your focus on improving the amount of walking and sticking to it to walk a 5K and 10K show us all that no difficulty is to great and no roadblock is too high…….I hope you’ll keep posting and letting know your progress.

:flowerforyou: Katla, your suggestions for healthy eating on a trip are awesome and the repeated reminder to “log every bite” points out that most good ideas are simple and sticking to the basics are more important than anything.

:flowerforyou: Jade, great goal about your mammogram…..that’s not a problem for me, but I have a medical appointment goal for something that I’m dreading and I hoped that by making it a goal, I’d do it.

:flowerforyou: Renny, my doctor sends a reminder a year after my mammogram so I’ll make an appointment for another one.

:flowerforyou: I’ve never tried the 30 day shred and probably won’t but I do a lot of stuff that others don’t do……I do weight training at home and others love to go to the gym…….the most effective exercise is the one you’ll do…..I love to read about what others are doing….I try some, discard some, and add new things to my exercise program.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Resolutions for March

*twice a week dance practice at home
    * make appointment and go see the osteoporosis doctor
    *act the way I want to feel

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My goals for March

Walk at least 10,000 steps a day
    Walk 30 minutes a day
    Do weight training 3 times a week

I know I can do e first 2, but the last goal will be a challenge.

Jeri in Calgary, Alberta
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    March goals:

Assistant coach my tri club's New to the Sport program.
    Swim or bike every weekend
    Get my Topamax dosage right
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Marcia - Fairfax, Va

This looks like a great stream to be part of for a newbie; I joined MFP some time ago, but just really engaged in Feb.

GOALS -MARCH
    Check in to MFP daily
    Track food accurately
    Loose 5 lbs by the end of March (a group I just joined)
    Minimum of 200 cals daily deficit - minimum
    Walk daily - 2 miles
    Pick up pace of walks
    Help someone every day
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Still here but not doing too well at the mo. Just marking my spot.

Geri in England
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am having problems exercising because of my knee problems.

Trying to figure out the best "diet" plan...there are so many, and they are all so different, and contradict each other.

Just feel low, I am not doing so great. So, I just want to give up. I mean, I am watching what I eat, not losing weight, going to the gym. Five days a week.

I keep telling myself I am doing this to improve my health...but I want to lose weight too.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    Well I think I though long and hard about while I have been in a funk for the month of Feb. I think that it is a must to come to the message board and read and post everyday.:smile: I also went to see the hand surgeon and the best treatment for moderate carpal tunnel is surgery. Oh, I am so sick of having surgery's:explode: and having to be off work and then start work all over again! I am still waiting to have my r knee replaced and now I need bilateral wrists done. I think this has also added to my funk as this will affect my exercise after surgery. :grumble: I will probably be stuck with the recumbent stationery bike, and I so love the elliptical.:oh well: So, I guess I just have to be glad that at least I have issues that can be fixed and just get on with it!:bigsmile: Life has been so crazy lately with dental and Md apts. Issues with DD and her anxiety. Nights before school she is so anxious that I have to go sleep with her in the twin bed. Then the 50 lb dog that is attached to my hip has to get into the bed too! Usually about 4 or 5 am DD wakes up and says"you can go back to your bed now!" My other DD is getting her 50 hours of driving with a parent in the car and this is an added stress too! I am so looking forward to their spring break! We will just do a stay cation and spring clean. Right now I am reading a biology textbook to help DD with DNA,RNA transcription and translation. This subject is what I learned in college and now they are expected to learn this in 10th grade. I think my head is spinning around as I sit here. My goal for March is to keep up with this blog, everyday and post! This is what I found to make me most successful and motivated. One can never get enough vitamin F.
    My goal for March is to keep up with this blog,:bigsmile:
    I need to stop after dinner eating,
    exercise 210 plus minutes a week
    log every morsel I eat.
    Live in the moment!
    Be thankful and grateful for everyday to improve myself!
    Welcome to all the new ladies. I could not respond to all as it has taken me awhile to catch up. So, You are in my thoughts and you can walk this journey with us! Here;s to self care through good nutrition and exercise!
    LindaS in San Diego aka Sundanceb:heart:

Jolene- :flowerforyou: I love how you described getting off track.I hope you are on the other side of the ditch now, just walking down the road!

Amanda:flowerforyou: glad pops is home and wishing you the best for Monday!

M :flowerforyou: – that is great an inch from everything! That is a great NSV!

Linda in IA-:flowerforyou: welcome, you will burn great calories on the elliptical! I love it for a quick calorie burn if I don’t have much time!

Renny-:flowerforyou: a loss is a loss, and much better than a gain! I would say you are headed in the right direction! Thanks for posting the fruit and veggie challenge! One day I will partake too!

Linda in No Ontario!:flowerforyou: You are doing awesome girl! You are inspiring me to get back on track! Oh, how happy I will be when I am under 200 lbs! You go gurl and keep heading in the right direction! I am taking your hand!

Brooke in Colorado-:flowerforyou: I have never heard of the rabbit thing? Where did tis originate from?

Deb-CNY-:flowerforyou: Evening snacking has been a problem for me lately too. My old habit was when I would wake up at night I would get up and eat carbs, so I could go back to sleep. This habit I have broken, but got back into snacking in the evening!

Liz-:flowerforyou: make sure you get that heartburn checked out by the doctor. Maybe you need a medication so the acid is not eating away at your esophagus!! Hope you have had this diagnosed as such. Sorry, this is just the RN in me!

Barbie :flowerforyou: , glad that you are seeing some spring flowers showing up. Its shame that they don’t have bigger outposts of medical facilities on the peninsula. My sister also has to make those trips once in awhile! Thank you so much for keeping this blog going. You are so right about being on her being central to ones weight loss. I have not been as motivated since I was not posting on here daily. So, as of today this is going to change. I am going to keep up on here and post every day.

CiCi fron Ca- :flowerforyou: Welcome to the best support group you will ever meet.

Jo- :flowerforyou: congrats on reaching your goal! How wonderful this must feel!

DeeDee-:flowerforyou: you must be feeling somewhat better as you are getting Noel out on those walks. Take time to heal completely! We will have no relapse’s young lady! Lol

Laura-:flowerforyou: yes, lifting weights 2x a week is good. I need to start doing this once a week, so keep up the good work!

Cheryl,:flowerforyou: yes, let us know about the green coffee bean! I take most things Dr. Oz says with a grain of salt or pepper these days!

Kate-:flowerforyou: I love your writings and cant wait to read your books. I have 2 teens so if you need a test market, they would be a great place to start!

Glenda, -:flowerforyou: oh my I do hope you are feeling better.

Michele:flowerforyou: - what is this HIIT on the elliptical at the Y? I cant wait for DST either!

Grandmallie-:flowerforyou: I have the same type of sleep problems too! I wish I could sleep through the night without having to walk up or being woken up! Oh, well its just sleep! Lol Our YMCA also has the same hours on Sat, except they are open until 7pm. I made sure that I went today before work! I feel so much better when I work out. Tomorrow our gym closes at 5pm. I work from 4:45 pm to 8:45 pm so it is hard to get to the gym in the evening!

MA-:flowerforyou: England welcome! This is a great place for support and learning great things of life!

Carol in NY :flowerforyou: welcome, come here every day , read ,post ,log, exercise drink that water! You will learn the site in no time!

Kathy-:flowerforyou: what is onederland? You are doing great and I hope that your work is going to slow down! Wow, your DD is doing great!

Barb, :flowerforyou: glad to see you here. I like your beach picture with your fur babies!

MacMadame,:flowerforyou: I also love to read your posts and they are inspiring!

Barb in AZ- :flowerforyou: Good that you made it through the week. You have something to look forward too at the end of the month! That should keep you motivated!

Mary in TN-:flowerforyou: hope you are doing well and stay safe in the snow!

JB-:flowerforyou: I do love the little piggy picture! Yes, spring is a time to renew and refresh. I so badly need to spring clean the house. Even DD said “over spring break we need to go through these cabinets and clean them out!” Yes, I have someone to help, as I cant do the knee thing!

Bevmcarthur- :flowerforyou: wow you are in great shape already. Good for you. How nice it must be to feel in better shape now that when you were younger. You will be an inspiration to us all.

Marci in Maryland –:flowerforyou: welcome to the best support group you will ever know!

Robin,Bodi and Ritter, :flowerforyou: I am so going to pray for this awful woman. I have not been good with keeping up with all of the posts, but is there not some recourse that you can take against the harassment from this evil person? Don’t let her get the best of you, people like that are not worth it. I know it is hard when you are going through it. I will pray for you too.

Sue is SD.:flowerforyou: Good for your goal on the fish and veggies in Feb. If you like Greek yogurt it is a good source of protein!

Katla-:flowerforyou: oh my, I hope you are feeling better after your fall. That must have really hurt. Rest, and ice the sore spots. Hope you back up in no time!

Jodios- :flowerforyou: wow, congrats to your DH. Hope you found some great places to meet your needs for eating out!

Jo in Wales-:flowerforyou: My girlfriend here in San Diego is from Cardiff Wales. She so misses her home and family. I will have to ask her more about the holiday you mentioned. One day, I hope I can go with her sons and my daughters to visit Wales!

Hariette :flowerforyou: in Georgia- welcome to the group and don’t ever look back!

Geri in England-:flowerforyou: is your diary open so we can see it to offer suggestions? Have you tried the stationery recumbent bike. Barbie, says never, never ever give up on yourself. Just keep posting here as there are so many wonderful women who have and are in the same place you are. You can get on the journey with us and take better care of yourself. You are worth it! Big Hug!

Jane Hadji-:flowerforyou: loved your picture of you and your daughter- two beautiful ladies.

Meg-:flowerforyou: hope you are doing well. Yes, I also am the entertainment when we do the Xbox zumba. Gotta love these kids. At least we are moving!

Lila -:flowerforyou: so glad that you are back! Not to shabby to go on vacation and lose weight! Your trip with DD sounds wonderful!
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    I'm new so nothing to report for February.

March goals

Get a mammogram and stop being a baby about it, it's been several years since I had one.

Stop weighing 10 times a day. It's so bad I brought a scale to work, go in the bathroom, undress, and weigh myself. I really need to stop it.

Lose at least 10 pounds this month.

No fast food, empty calories, or fried foods.

Get to the gym three days a week. While there go to the yoga class I'm paying for. Seriously, I've never been and I'm paying for it. I'm self-conscious for some reason and am having a hard time making myself go.

That's it. Good luck with all your goals. I've every confidence you can reach them.

Wisconsin

Please go for your mamogram! I had my three year check last Wednesday and it wasn't too bad. A few minutes discomfort for peace of mind.

Think of something nice and breath deeply!

Jo

UK Wales
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am on my iPad so I can't copy/paste replies. I will do that Monday morning!

My company celebrates their 50th anniversary this coming Saturday night and I needed a dress. My teenage daughter and I went to the Premium Outlet Mall yesterday and what a successful, NSV day did I have!

Not only can I shop in regular size clothing stores but I no longer have to buy clothes with "x" in the size. i bought this gorgeous gold and black totally sequined shorter dress that fits me like a sock! My daughter saw it on and her eyes bulged out of her head and she insisted that was the dress. I wanted floor length and got much the opposite. She said I have curves in all the right places and the dressed showed them perfectly. She has made the "curve" remark before but not with that look or insistence that I buy something.

Today is another fun day. I have an 8-mile hike with my oldest, "funnest," "in the best shapest" girlfriend. It's at Wissahickon Gorge and is a strenuous one. I'm on a roll and would like to keep my buns and calves in their present conditions at least until next Saturday.

Have a great day all!

Jackie
  • Paouline
    Paouline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to Myfitnesspal so this will be my first month. My goals ate simple....
    To keep loging food each day
    To exercise each day except Sunday, I think I should have one day off.
    To stay away from wine, no more after work glass before and then with dinner.

However there are obsticals, my partner Tony who has just bought me chocolate knowing I want to loose weight and keeping motivated without any family or friend support. We've moved around a lot so not near them.

I'm looking forward to supporting and befriending others here. So good luck to us all.

Pauline , Cheshire, England.
  • Paouline
    Paouline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your goals are similar to mine.
    Good luck.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I have no more time this morning:sad: ! I`ve been up since 4:30 and still I run out of time:huh: !

I`m off to put on my tiara and boss the boys for awhile:laugh: !!!

Have a great day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny but chilly NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies,
    sorry for the rant last night,I guess yesterday was not a good day for me:grumble:
    I do think spring is coming because either I have a cold again or when the tree's start budding so does my nose...
    again I am feeling as my grandfather used to say like 2 cents worth of God help us..my nose is running,and somehow I think I slept wrong and pulled a muscle in my back~OY
    when it rains it pours I guess... the DH just came and asked if there is no gym on the weekends and I snapped at him
    I said yes there is gym on the weekends, I will go, in a bit,dont know how much I will be able to do, but I will go..
    If I didnt know better I would think I am PMSing ..lol, thats all done and over with thank goodness but ,I would just love a day where I could sit and mess about on the computer and keep my foot up and rest it..
    Today is cooking day for me, and cleaning ,sweep and wash the floors, and then sweep and wash the hardwoods also.No rest for the weary I guess...still on the cloudy and cold side here in Ct.I am sooooooo looking forward to the birds and the flowers and the greenery..Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday...:heart:
  • partygirl2
    Options
    My Aim for march is to lose 7lb hopefully :-)

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for February (with end of the month comments)
    *Add more yoga stretches to each day (lots of good stretching this month)
    *Weight training three times a week (twice a week was what I accomplished)
    *Act the way I want to feel (there have been some challenges and this helped but I was not always successful)
    *Put half ounce of walnuts in morning shake (every day)

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Resolutions for March
    *twice a week dance practice at home
    * make appointment and go see the osteoporosis doctor
    *act the way I want to feel
    [/quote]