WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy March. Barbie – your post made my heart sing. Thank you for always giving us an inspirational start to the month.:love:

Michele – glad you made it home safe. I was thinking the cats were afraid you were going to leave them in FL so that was why they were waiting by the door .:bigsmile:

Teri – love your goal to focus on the beauty of each day. I need to check out my Feb goals and think of goals for March.

O Dydd Dewi Saint Hapus to you. I am learning so much about Wales from you and I love it! Congratulation on achieving your Feb goals.

Jacqui – so glad to have more Vit F (friends) from the UK. We were stationed in England when DH was in USAF.

Jackie – Great goals, very specific and I’m sending good vibes to you to get you off to a good start.

Judy in NJ – Wishing you a Happy Birthday on the 6th! (Just in case I forget!) It’s a big one for all of us but especially for you with your family history.

Brooke – never heard of the Rabbit, Rabbits, Rabbits for good luck but hey, I’ll try it! Trying t talk myself into doing the 30 day shred. I have the dvd but not the energy!

Jb – love the quotes. You also made me feel happy. My DS goes to Charles Swindoll’s church.

Lucy – good goals for March.

Cheryl – No ice cream? My goal is 145 also but I’m working toward reaching it by 7/12 when we go to Hawaii.

Katia – having your DD and GD coming for a visit will be a happy time for you no matter what the weather is going to be. I know what you mean about changing what you buy as I always do that when the GKs come . I make them take all the cereals and stuff home with them.

Ann in LA – I also need to start a weight training program. Do you have a plan to follow?

Kate – the story of your son’s accident gave me chills. We had a similar incident when our DS was injured on the band bus. The only reason he was on the bus was because I didn’t want him to get hurt playing football! He was only shook up but the emotional roller coaster after the phone call really threw me for a loop. Maybe you will be the next Judy Blume (sp).

LindaC – add my congratulations on being in 1 der land.

Cindy in Idaho – that’s how you get started on this journey!

Robin = great news about the blessed event in September.

Phyllis – welcome to the group. Come back often and chat with us. Good goals.

Jolene – reach out a hand and one of us will grab it and hang on with you. You have a lot of Vit F here, use it to help you achieve your goals.

I’m going to stop after page two and spend some time with DH. My Feb goals were: get 5 f/v a day – so so. Check portion size – did a lot of measuring and weighing and exercise 5x a week for 45 minutes. I achieved this but my numbers are misleading as golf takes 4-5 hours and I sometimes play 2 or 3 times a week.
    So my goals for March are:
    1. Get 5+ F/V a day
    2. Make one new recipe a week
    3. Begin a weight training program

Sue in TX
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Happy March all!

Didn't do very well with my February goals, but will do better this month.

For March:
    Continue to log all food.
    Do intervals 2 times a week
    Weights 3 times a week
    Complete 30 ds
    Take time to play each day!! Work is consuming my life- need to take some time back for me.

Welcome Cindy in Idaho and Phyllis

Nana, Laura, Brooke, wessecg, Jodios- maybe we can all encourage each other on the 30 ds. I am starting it again. Tied a few months ago, but didn't complete it. I WILL this month!

Robin- Hope that March is kinder to you than Feb.!

Judy in NJ- I had the surgery a few years ago and am so glad I did! Hope all goes well for you.

Barbie- I had to banish Kashi Crunch from my house. It was too easy to eat a lot more than I should! Hope all goes well for Jake.

Jolene- I need to get back to exercising more too! With me it is about balance between work and time for myself. I seem to have lost it recently, but am fighting to get it back!

Glenda- Hope you feel better soon! Listening to your body sounds like the best way to go.

Janemartin- I have trouble controlling snacking in the evening too. I usually plan ahead and do okay with the calories, but it is just habit, not hunger that has me eating snacks. I need to break it! Let me know if you have any ideas that work for you.

DeeDee- You are dedicated to continue with the training! Hope you get better quickly!I trained with a running group a few years ago and really loved it. Wish I could do it again, but have been told not to run due to a foot injury. I do intervals, but mostly walking. Get better fast! Everything is harder when your lungs are involved.

Kate- I love your writing style! If you ever publish your stories or novels, let us know! I would certainly buy them to read!!

M- a comfortable 8!! Would love to join you there! I have been stalled for months, but am determined to see progress before my daughter comes home for a visit. Haven't seen her for 2 years. She will be here for my birthday in just 3 weeks. I know I won't be at goal by then, but will be happy if I can just see some movement in that direction.

Renny- Even though I have not joined your challenges, they have motivated me to increase my fruit and veggie intake. I love both, just don't remember to eat enough of them! Thank you for the reminder!

Kimmy- I have been thinking of juicing also. What kind of juicer do you have? Let me know how it goes and of any good combinations you try.

Spent all day to day riding in a car or sitting at a conference. That's the second day this week. Can't wait to get out and MOVE tomorrow.

Have a great evening all.

Deb from CNY
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good evening, everyone!

Stopping back by to read the first couple of pages and put my two-cents in.:laugh:

Barbie – thank you for keeping this thread going and I love the graphic!

Jo – congratulations on reaching your goal! That is awesome.:flowerforyou:

Liz – I hope your heartburn is gone. I only suffer occasionally but when it comes, oh boy!

Jacqui – welcome and congrats on the 12-pound loss in February. It sounds as if you’ve had a lot to deal with so that makes it even more impressive that you’ve been able to stay on track.

Jackie – my goodness, you definitely have some great goals. I can’t remember – are you learning Russian just to learn it or are you planning a trip?

Grandmallie – I am so sorry for your continuing foot problems and the effect they are having on your ability to exercise. DH and I split the cooking but, like some others here, we have things in the freezer that we can pull out if neither wants to cook.

Nebslp – breakroom goodies are tough, aren’t they? It seems like someone has donuts, bagels, cake or something once or twice a week. I try to just stay away because my will power is still pretty fragile – especially if someone brings in Krispy Kreme donuts!

Judy – happy early birthday and good luck with your surgery!

Lentigogirl – gotta love a list that includes a hula hoop goal.

JB – I love the quotes, especially the one from Hal Borland.

Wessecg – I hope you will report back and let us know if you think the green tea is helpful. I’ve done some reading on this but haven’t quite convinced myself that its worth trying.

Kate – good luck with your writing! What a wonderful adventure for you to be on.

Glenda – I hope you continue to feel better.

Cindy – welcome and your goals are just right!

Robin – first of all, congratulations on your baby news! Good luck on your complaint; I am so sorry that you have to deal with that.

Brooke – big congrats on starting on the 30 day shred! I just don’t think I could make it through so kudos to you.

Jolene – can I just borrow your goals? Especially the first one? That is exactly how I feel after the last couple of weeks.

Amanda – I must have missed the story of what’s happening with your dad and with but best wishes to the both of you.

That’s it for now; have to go get a few things done. Have a lovely evening!

Sandy, in perennially gray central Ohio
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,946 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I tried to be extra grateful for the daylight as I walked Brandy and Sasha this morning because when I turned to the March calendar page I was reminded that there are only a few days left before daylight savings time plunges my early morning walks back into darkness for another month.

:bigsmile: I called today to make an appointment with the osteoporosis doctor in Seattle (one of my March resolutions) and now have to wait for papers to be faxed from my doctor here and then a return call to set up the appointment but the wheels are turning.

:drinker: :drinker: In February I spent a lot of time at the computer logging steps and exercise on some other threads and using valuable time that could have been spent on this thread, so beginning today, I won’t be doing that. This thread has been central to my weight loss journey and I want to make it a more important part of my day.

:bigsmile: There is a hint of spring in NW Washington…..some daffodils, cherry blossoms, and few flowers I can’t identify but remember as early bloomers last year.

:flowerforyou: llb, I love line dancing…..I’ll enjoy hearing how it is going for you.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, the longest journey starts with a single step and logging food and drinking water are a great first step

:bigsmile: Phyllis, how great to see you again……good luck on doing weights every day……I can barely put weights in my day twice a week.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, enjoy your ice cream…..I am incapable of eating a small serving of ice cream so I eat none at all and it’s worked well for me……clearly I am an “abstainer” and you are a “moderator”

:flowerforyou: Jane, good luck on the night eating……I know that has been a great challenge for you

Jolene, we’ll all be here cheering you on as you get back in the game.
    :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: M, stay in the moment is a resolution I need to remember

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, keep reading this thread and you’ll get great ideas for veggies for you and how to sneak veggies into food for DH

:flowerforyou: The dogs are demanding their after dinner walk so I’d better get going while we still have good daylight

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • karphl
    karphl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Just found this group. I turned 55 in Feb. I have been doing well, losing weight the past 2 months but am getting to the slow down phase.

My goals for March:
    *workout 1 hr every day
    *eat healthy/low fat/no white sugar and processed foods
    *lose 1 lb per week

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Karen, northern NM
  • nursermr38
    Options
    bump***
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    hey, everyone! I haven't been on this thread in ages because I gave up on keeping up at some point and then I stopped logging my food. I needed the break but I have to say that not logging my food turned into a big mistake!

I'm on Topamax for my head and it helps a lot with my appetite and had made it easier to get these five pounds off that I gained when I first hit my head. I still can't work out a LOT but it's getting better. I went swimming last weekend and I'm going to go again this weekend. Whee!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm new to the group (joined MFP last month) and just getting the hang of it. My goals for March are to stay focused on the food, diary and exercise and not on the scale.

Lose 5 lbs by the end of March
    Commit to using my brand new treadclimber (Christmas present) 3 days a week
    continue to go to the gym weekends
    begin weight training (1-2 days a week)

Wish everyone a wonderful month and nice to meet you!:happy:

Marcie from Maryland
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    2066133lbhv7q3t78.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to the friendly community of women supporting and encouraging each other on the journey to weight loss and better health and fitness.

:flowerforyou: The title say women ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for February? What goals and resolutions to you have planned for March?

:flowerforyou: Whether you have been part of this thread for awhile or are just joining us this month, we’re glad you are here. This is a journey best taken with others and with a healthy dose of Vitamin F (friends).

:flowerforyou: To help us get to know each other better, consider signing your posts with your first name or a nickname and your geographical location.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for February (with end of the month comments)
    *Add more yoga stretches to each day (lots of good stretching this month)
    *Weight training three times a week (twice a week was what I accomplished)
    *Act the way I want to feel (there have been some challenges and this helped but I was not always successful)
    *Put half ounce of walnuts in morning shake (every day)

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Resolutions for March
    *twice a week dance practice at home
    * make appointment and go see the osteoporosis doctor
    *act the way I want to feel

Hello :smile:

Running late today, but wanted to make sure to catch this post. I have not had the chance to read all the posts, but the ones I have, has convinced me this is where I belong.

Resolutions for February
    * Walk 3xs a week. ( I got to average of 2 or more. Better then January.)
    * Do my PT at home for my back and shoulder everyday ( Epic excuses till pain forced me to do it a couple of times)
    * Find and start a beginners yoga program for inner core and lower back. (:frown: I again found more time to enjoy social media instead of locating a program)
    * Begin low impact strength training on the days I do not walk. ( I made excuses like massive housework on the weekends counted :noway:)

Resolutions for March
    * Walk 3xs a week.
    * PT at home 3xs a week
    * Begin 3o day shred.
    *Find Yoga video instruction that fits me and review till I feel confident to start.
    * Continue to find and be my best self.
    * Continue to eat healthy and log everyday
    * Try to eliminate MOTN ( middle of the night ) eating for the month.

My name is Cici from Central Coast California and I am 47 turning 48 this Month. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and will catch up on the posts as soon as I can. Let's makes this a Great Month for us all!:smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Jo - big congrats on getting to goal! That's awesome

jacqui - welcome, so great that you came back. You'll really enjoy it here. I'll say you had a good February. 12 pounds, that's wonderful!

Jackie - I like "a few pounds lighter". This way you're not super disappointed if you didn't lose what you had hoped for, but just glad for what you have and will continue to forge on ahead.

DeeDee - that's just wonderful that you're continuing to go even with the pneumonia. Wow on the 1/2"

grandmallie - feel better fast! Good wishes being sent your way. Maybe there's a trainer at your gym who can give you suggestions?

judy in NJ - Bergenfiled? Hubby and I grew up in Clifton! Happy early birthday. Good wishes for your surgery

Brooke from CO - I've never said "rabbits, rabbits, rabbits" on the first day of March. What's the significance? Rabbits for luck?

barbie - so glad you'll be spending more time here. You have such great words of wisdom, I know we will all learn from you.

Laura - lifting weights twice a week is better than zero times a week, so *I* think you did well.

Cheryl - I'll be on the lookout to see how that green coffee bean extract works or doesn't work.

katla - when the last space shuttle went up, we had 6 adults, 4 cats in a 2 bedroom condo. I say "God invented floors for a reason".

Kate - I can hardly imagine coming home and seeing what you saw! I'd probably be a basket case. Thank GOD your son was wearing his helmet.

Glenda - your goal of listening to your body and getting better is the best one yet.

Cindy in Idaho - first off, welcome! Your goals sound perfect, start out not expecting a whole lot and you're more likely to succeed.

Robin - oh, congrats to you.

phyllisn - welcome. Beautiful picture! I especially like your goal of finding a new exercise besides walking and swimming. You CAN do it!

Took a decongestant last night, I was afraid I'd be up most of the night (that's what usually happens) but I wasn't. Did go to the Y and did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical. I honestly feel like I worked up quite a sweat. I wanted this one guy to take my body fat measurements, but the caliphers were broken. He said that he could do it with the bioimpedience thing, but there's just so much room for error that I don't even want to consider that. I'll just wait until his caliphers are fixed. Hope it's soon

Amanda - glad your dad is home. Take care of yourself, now!

M - that's fantastic that you lost inches. To me, that matters so much more than how many pounds you lost. How did you determine what your protein goal should be? In a sense, I'm sort-of sceptical of the amount that MFP says I should be getting.

Linda in IA - welcome, so glad you joined us

Renny - you asked "what happened to February?" I'd like to know what happened to January

I know what my March goal will be! To work on the crafts that I have. An added bonus is that this keps my hands occupied and not reaching for snacks!

Sharon - good luck to you on reaching your goal. It'll be close, but you are so close to 200, if you don't make it this month, I KNOW you will make it next month.

Sue in TX - you know something, I never even thought that the cats might have been afraid we were going to leave them in FL. Interesting thought.......

Deb from CNY - can I join the "snack out of habit" group? Happy birthday (early)

Oh, I can't wait for DST to get here. I really don't like Standard Time.

barbie - good luck with the osteoporosis doc. Let us know what he says, OK?

Karen in normern NM and marcie from MD and Cici - welcome!

MacMadame - so good to see you!

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    hey, everyone! I haven't been on this thread in ages because I gave up on keeping up at some point and then I stopped logging my food. I needed the break but I have to say that not logging my food turned into a big mistake!

I'm on Topamax for my head and it helps a lot with my appetite and had made it easier to get these five pounds off that I gained when I first hit my head. I still can't work out a LOT but it's getting better. I went swimming last weekend and I'm going to go again this weekend. Whee!

Macmadame!!! soooo nice to see you back.

@Michele (exermom) - I know. January AND February came and went pretty darn fast.

so here is the new weekly challenge link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910645-veggie-fruit-1-day-challenge-saturday-march-1-2013. You are not restricted to one day. Any day is fine...and I see I put a wrong date up once again (excuse: it's late and I need to go to sleep!!!)

:heart: Renny
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

It's been a bit of a week! My dad was back in hospital to have more blood transfusions. I sat with him for eight hours and, let me tell you, they were gruelling. For some reason my dad decided to spend the time talking about my late mother and all her unfaithfulness. I knew about most of them (she actually had an affair with my first husband before persuading me to marry him at the age of 16). Dad told me that he has read all of her diaries since she passed away almost eight years ago. It may seem harsh, but I have asked him to burn them - that none of her children need to read about that side of her. It was enough that we had to live through it.

I miss my mum and will always love her, but she was a mixed up individual with narcissistic personality disorder. A truly hard act to follow!

Anyway, dad is home now and feeling better.

On Monday it is my turn to go back to the hospital. I am anaemic and low on potassium which is having a negative affect on my energy levels. Hopefully I'll feel a bit better soon.

Well, I'm at the gallery today so I'd better get some work done.

I have scanned through the messages (hi Macmadame! Hope you are feeling ok) but can't respond to everyone right now. I still think of you all every day.

Nose to the grindstone!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    Im up and working this saterday from 7;30 am until noon or so..
    then it's running around with the DH.I had another night of rough sleep I sleep well for the first 5 hrs then toss and turn for 2-3 hrs,and wake up exsuasted:angry: .Had some real weird dreams last night too ,I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary yesterday but holy cow they were vivid dreams..
    It is tough to get to the gym on the saterdays I work because they open at 7 and are only open until 5-so with the running around we do afternoon it seems to get in the way. if I was more awake I would do something here before work.I will do some stretching at least.
    It's so nice to have a group of friends that are in the same boat as you ..we go out to dinner every saterday night but I usually check out the menu on line before hand and pick something that is within my range..I am craving a real burger so gonna check out ruby tuesday I think they have sliders I will get that and the salad bar:wink:
    will check in with you lovely ladies later this afternoon.
    sending you love andhugs:heart:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi Just found this group - would love to track my goals alongside you all - what I've read sounds so helpful!
    My goals for March are:
    to log food intake daily and honestly (no cheating!)
    to walk at least 60 miles in March on top of daily activity (dogs will love that!)
    to keep water intake up
    to laugh and keep positive
    to finish knitting my jumper
    I'm MA from the Midlands England where today it's sunny - so I feel a long walk coming on...:smile:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:smile:

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! You`ll love this thread, it`s full of wonderful supportivie women! Come in often and just start chatting away!!!

DebA:smile: I love your goal of finding time to play each day! I think that was one of my goals a long time ago, I think I`m going to use that this time too!!! Thanks for the reminder! Hopefully we will both accomplish it!!!

Michele:smile: I bet it was awesome to be there to see the last space shuttle take off:love: , I watched it on TV.

Amanda:smile: Glad your dad is home! I would want the diaries burned too, no reason to relive those times! Now it`s time to take care of you!!! Hope all goes well for you on Monday! Let us know!

grandmallie:smile: Hope you enjoy your night out!!! Smart looking up the calorie count before hand!!!

I saw friends yesterday I hadn`t seen since before Christmas, and they gave me the nicest compliment, both couldn`t believe how much more weight I had lost, in truth I haven`t lost anymore weight at all:grumble: , however the inches lost are really making a difference in the way I look:bigsmile: ! All the walking, situps, pushups, etc. etc. is working well. A nice compliment every once in awhile gives enough of a boost to keep me motivated!!!

Will be back later to post my goes for March!

Hope everyone has a fabulous Saturday!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly, gray (again) NC
  • swilson133
    Options
    bump
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Just doing part of page 4 just to much to do this morning. It's hockey at ten watching a four year old pretty cute.

Sue
    Getting under 200 feels great. Now working to get as far from it as possible never to see it again.
    Like the recipe a week challenge.

YoYo
    Good luck with the March goals and yoyo no more.

Barbie
    Your flower that you don't know probably a crocus they show there pretty little heads before the snow melts.
    Good luck in getting your appointment. And good luck to Jake next week.
    Happy happy trails to you.

Karen
    Welcome and good luck.

Amanda
    Better to bury the past. What's done is done. No changing it.
    Good luck on Monday hope they find the problem and fixes it.

Grandmaille
    Enjoy supper tonight.

I'm stringing the good days along. Especialy in the food department. doing very well. Now to get as good with the exercise I'm still lack in that department.
    I will be walking around the ice surface this morning at the rink while watching the little guy learn how to skate but he likes to have me there.

So just remember the weekend does not give us a ticket to eat. Be good. And you will be glad when Monday comes that you were.
    for those of you slipping here's a little something.

You take my hand and i'll take yours
    And we will walk this path together
    For a helping hand is all you need to help you on your way.
    So reach out my friend and take my hand.
    And we are almost there.

Good luck to all
    May your day be great. Well as great as you make it.

See you lighter

Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well not having a lot of time in February to figure this all out. ( newbie here) :blushing: I am still not sure if I am even posting correctly as this is the first time I've ever joined something like this. I tried to find the day I requested to join this group, and with no luck I am moving on. I don't think I even posted correctly. Any ways first of all, am Carol in NY
    I guess I posted to the group wrong as I was doing it on my home page, I just realized you should come to this message board daily! I don't want to become long winded here so I'll get straight to business. LOL
    My goals for March 2013
    Help and encourage others daily
    Figure out this posting /blogging thing (Newbie here)
    Take time to read the posts - instead of kicking daisies over in left field :laugh:
    Log my food daily and stay under calorie goal
    Eat more raw foods and Smoothies
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day
    Do at least 30 Minutes walking 3 days a week
    Here's hoping we all reach our March goals:drinker:
    Carol in NY
  • uwharriegold
    Options
    My challenge for March is this: I am going on a 10-day trip to Portland, OR -- a super Food Town -- and visiting my daughter who is a chef. I'm stressing about how to maintain my weight loss. My husband (skinny) and I will stay in a hotel, but we do have a microwave and refrigerator. I will do the best I can, but would appreciate any strategies that have worked for others when traveling.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Well not having a lot of time in February to figure this all out. ( newbie here) :blushing: I am still not sure if I am even posting correctly as this is the first time I've ever joined something like this. I tried to find the day I requested to join this group, and with no luck I am moving on. I don't think I even posted correctly. Any ways first of all, am Carol in NY
    I guess I posted to the group wrong as I was doing it on my home page, I just realized you should come to this message board daily!
    Carol in NY

Welcome Carol - no worries, it is actually easy to keep on track with this thread. Just go to the top of your page (any page) and click Community, then you'll see (and then click on) My Topics where you'll see every/any board that you've posted to so you can pick up where you've left off. I'll PM (personal message) this to you as well in case the thread gets long and this is hard to find.

Happy Saturday,
    Brooke from Colorado