WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning all Have to try and get caught up I just hate falling behind. But i'm still losing weight and loving it. So as long as that part keep going is good. My blood sugars are good. And spring is another day closer.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Robin - I really hope you are feeling better. I'm having issues with colleagues at present too, it's not fun and I know from past experience how it can upset the balance of one's life. Hang on in there.

Janemartin - enjoy your grandbaby time! It goes so fast.

Barbie - my husband is a dreadful passenger, which is really strange as he is a dreadful driver! I have learned to never complain about his driving - it just makes him worst. However, when pushed I have occasionally reminded him that I passed my driving test first time and he took five attempts. Also, (this is tempting fate - but que sera sera) I have never been involved in an accident when I was driving - he had four in one month!

Wessecg - I hope you manage to shake off your cold/flu.

Michele - roasted mushrooms are one of my favourites. DH and I put a dollop of natural yogurt on top. Delicious.

Renny - it sounds like you have a great boss! Flowers!! I'm lucky to get a cup of coffee.

Katla - I am envious about your trip to the zoo. DH and I get to be big cat keepers for a day next month - it was part of my gift to him last year for his 50th birthday.

DeeDee - a 14 minute mile, I am impressed!

Moxie - we all have days when we go over a little. I remember days in the past when I would get home and 'eat the fridge'. Not so often these days, but sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Phyllis - I have taught my children, several cousins, my niece and one of my nephews to knit over the years. I think it is a time that you never forget. My paternal aunt taught me to knit and I remember her teaching me to put a little love into each and every stitch. I try!

Renny - I hope you can get your eyeglass problem resolved soon. It's been going on for quite a while now.

Laura - it's so strange that we can complain about clothes being too big now and yet, we put up with clothes being tight for so long. Wish I could come to one of the MFP gatherings!

Jodios - Men! They just don't understand the power that the scale can hold do they?

Texasgal - how adorable is the teddy on the trike?

I'm sorry, I can't reply to everyone but want to say hello to all the newbies. :flowerforyou:

Must get on with some work, but may try to drop by later.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

LindaC:smile: yes, spring is one day closer....woo hoo!!!!! I am so ready for it!!!! Glad you`re keeping your blood sugar in check!!!

Phyllis:smile: I have a very good friend who is Egyptian, a few years ago he became an American citizen, said it was one of the happiest days of his life. He was back there several months ago and couldn`t believe all that was going on. I love hearing the stories of his life growing up there! I would love to visit one day when things are a bit more stable!

Michele:smile: I`m sure Jessica didn`t care if the muffin stuck or not, as long as it still taste good! I probably would have kept more than one for myself:blushing: , I just don`t need to have muffins or cake in the house..I like them too much, that along with popcorn, I could eat my weight in popcorn:frown: !!! I once ate 600 calories in popcorn in one day:noway: , and I think that was when I was still only eating 1200 calories...since then I`ve just not had it in the house!

Robin:smile: Hope things get better for you:flowerforyou: !!! Feel better soon!

Cheryl:smile: Hope you`re feelling better too:flowerforyou: !

Someone asked about the planks...was that you M? Anyhow we do them on our forearms, not sure I could do them the other way just yet:noway: !

Barbie:smile: Was it you that said you can do a plank for three minues:noway: , I was so proud of making it for a minute and a half, I can`t even imagine a three minute one:noway: . Glad jake is following Drs. orders!!!

Amanda:smile: Oh my...four accidents in one month:huh: ! I would be reminding of those things too:laugh: !

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Come in often and join the conversation!!! This is a great group of women!!!

I have run out of time again! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny but chilly NC
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a snack person. I usually have only healthy stuff around, but when I am pms-ing....I want 2nds and 3rds. I cut back yesterday, was actually 200+ calories under my daily goal. ( I do eat back exercise calories most days), been doing my aerobic exercise 6 days a week, with Saturday off. I even did extra work around the house yesterday, and filled the back of my truck up with donation items. That wore me out. But this morning, up one pound. Dang pms.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    Morning my lovelies,
    Well the sun is shining that is wonderful!!!! Like I said I can barely move so very sore, but I need to get to the gym today, I dont want to miss 3 days in a row,then you lose your momentum.. It is still very very cold here,but hoping it starts warming up soon,
    Tonight we turn the clocks ahead... whooo hooo more suntime....
    I will look into that PB2 , do you get it online or is it available in grocery stores?DH and I are going to book the cruise,we havent been on one in 3 yrs ,we love to cruise and have a balcony cabin, It is just all the extra you have to spend..flights , excursions,
    at least with Carnival I think you can carry on a case of water which I will do. also bring insulated glasses and a collapsable cooler.We keep that in the bathroom filled with ice and can have cold drinks anytime we want..last cruise we went on we had onboard credit and we walked off with a check because we didnt use it all:bigsmile:
    I have no motivation this morning,I want to make a grocery list ,and I guess I will do that and then go to the gym and get that out of the way..
    also going to order that book~pain free I and so tired of this heel giving me problems:grumble:
    I did speak with my DD yesterday and my DGD, My DGD is a pip she will be 5 on St Patty's day and she asking me, hey grandma do you know what I am going to be a Paliantologist, and goes on to explain all these very grown up facts, she just blows my mind... they are taking her to COSI for her birthday which I think is the Columbus Science museum.My DD is not having a great time out there because she is getting no help whatsoever.she is trying to get Taliah ready for kindergarten ,but there is no family out there willing to help her, again she said she went out there to go to school and get her license and it's been 3 yrs and nothing has happened.. Well when your in a relationship with an abuser it is not going to change unless you do something.Her father is no help because mental and physical state and she wont leave him. I told her she needs to live for herself and her daughter ~no one else.,But she wont listen to me.. I pray every single day that sometime in the near future she smartens up and kicks Kyle to the curb.. because she will never get anywhere with him in her life...all the family that loves and cares for her is out here in Ct.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Barbie - I lol'ed about the driving! My husband has been having some eye problems and asks me to drive when they are acting up - he is the worst back seat driver!! When we were driving into the city one night for a play, with my daughter and a friend along,she was so annoyed by him, she told him if he could make it the rest of the way (only 30 minutes) without any comments she would quit smoking (he really, really hates that she smokes). Though he ALMOST made it the last ten minutes he blurted out a comment before he could stop himself!! He was so mad!

This is a great story........I had to quote it so if anyone missed it they could have another chance to read it.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi All...
    I need to get back into my routine. I had the flu in February...then my husband had problems and was diagnosed with kidney stones (for the third time in 8 years). He had to have surgery last week. He is doing well but I realize that I respond to stress by stopping all the good things I do for myself---cooking ahead and exercising. I need to get myself back.

I will check in, read the posts and respond later.
    It is great to see you all again!!

Sally
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Still too early to tell how today will be. My throat is seriously sore but as of now I don't have a fever and I feel a bit better. I may go to the doctor's about my throat but I am kind of in a wait and see mode.

Why is it that so many men are the worst sideseat drivers around. Mine can't not make comments and it infuriates me. I hate driving him anywhere.

Michele -so glad you found a dress you love.
    Renny -Flowers? Really? Wow. You are truly lucky. I would settle for civil behaviour from my boss.
    Phyllis- wow Egyptian citizenship. Thats cool.

Welcome to all the newbies. I have been a part of this thread for over 3 years. These are the best women in the world. They support, advise, cheer and cry. A true dose of Vitamin F.

Much love,
    Robin, Bodi and Ritter,
    PNW
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hideeho from frosty Portland! Sensational Saturday, that's what it's going to be. :glasses: Clear skies, sunglasses need cleaning, as does the windsheild in my car. I might as well just wash the whole thing and get in there with the vacuum. :ohwell: Dogs shed hair, it's not their fault. Mother of dogs doesn't do enough cleaning. :tongue:

I managed to get myself back to daily yoga this week, feeling good about that! As long as I do it every single day I don't have a problem, but if I take one day off I get out of the habit. Lesson learned, do it daily. I can feel there's much less tension in my spine.

The Plank is really something, what a great strength exercise. When I first started doing them I was on my elbows and could only hold for 5 seconds! I sure could feel it in my abdomen. Now I'm doing them up on my hands, fully extended arms, and can hold for 30 seconds. It's little things like this that are so important - when you realize you're getting a little stronger from continued work at a certain exercise, be it planks, or weights, or even walking. I can do 30 pushups now, and can remember back to when 1 was nearly impossible. Pretty amazing, really! Little by little, increasing one at a time, pushing just a little harder, holding on just a little longer. Keeping notes is important, too, then we can look back and see our progress over time.

Walked outside earlier this morning and saw the skinniest sliver moon up in the sky - so dainty and thin - just beautiful! :love:

Yep, it's a Sensational Saturday :bigsmile: Have a great one!

:smile: jb
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Newbies: Welcome to the group. Many of us joined in the middle, as this thread has been going for quite awhile. I joined in the middle in October, and I don’t know how many months/years the thread had been going before that. All thanks go to Barbiecat :flowerforyou: who started it and keeps it going. You’ll get to know us by stopping by frequently, reading and posting. It helps if you sign with your 'name' and location. :flowerforyou:

Linda in Northern Ontario: Glad you’re still here. I’ve missed your posts lately. I’ve got company and haven’t been reading all the posts while they’re here. I’m glad to hear you’re still losing. :bigsmile:

We have another gorgeous day here and plan to take advantage of every lovely minute of it.:bigsmile: NOAA reports that we’ll have rain again all week next week. :tongue: Today we are headed to Portland Saturday Market.:heart::heart: DD has invited a number of friends and relatives to join us there. I hope most of them are able to make it.:happy: She will want to stay and visit as long as possible. We’ll be taking two cars so we can come home when we’re ready.:wink: A VooDoo Doughnut stop may also happen today. The original store is close to Saturday Market. We’ll see what DD decides. I’d rather save it for another time. When I try to do too much at once, things don’t always go well.:noway:

Have a great day and a great week.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Good morning:

Again, I am praying for some and rejoicing with some of you. I love coming to this site and "listening" to all that is going on with this group.

I'm still working off my temporary 3 pounds from Valentine'sDay/birthday/outoftownconference weekend. It's coming off, but a LOT more slowly than it went on!

Last night my mom was admitted to icu in Milwaukee. Fluid is building up in her body and at least one kidney is not working. I need to make a decision whether to go up there now. My mom is 88. I know she is ready to be in the arms of her Savior at any time...but I'm not so ready to see her go yet. I've looked into plane tickets and am waiting for a call from my sister to let me know how things are today. Prayers for her and my dad (also 88) would be appreciated.

So, I am trying very hard to not stress-eat for the first time ever. I think I can do it this time with help from this site.

Eileen in rainy San Diego area
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Jean in Lakewood CA – Welcome from one (former) SoCal girl to another! You’ll find this a fabulous group of women to listen, support and cheer you on

Mary in TN – hope you slept well (and NOT at your computer)

Jmkmomm – it actually sounds like you have quite a few tasks to do, good luck getting them all done!

Esther in Oregon – Yours sound like worthy and very doable goals, which is definitely the way to start, keep it real so you can celebrate your successes along the way.

Christschild2 – Welcome! I would say 13 pounds is a very significant loss in two months, congratulations. And I too love the “tangible” of cards and (real) letters, what a lovely goal.

Ohiomomof2 – Sounds like a good kind of busy. Hope your DD is feeling much better really soon.

Phyllis in Cairo – the market (and its offerings) sounds lovely. Yummm to fresh produce!

Linda in Northern Ontario – Continued weight loss AND consistent blood sugar readings is something to celebrate!!!!!!

Moxie1962 – The good news is, PMS passes, so next week you’ll likely have pounds lost to do the happy dance about. Sounds like you got a jumpstart on spring cleaning too

SallyCC – Good to hear your husband is on the mend, now YOU can be too!

Robin – glad you’re slowly getting to feel better, hope your throat is much improved.

JB in Portland – what a beautiful description of the moon!! You are so right about the slow and steady improvements exercise can bring. I need to amend my goals to include planks and pushups

Katla in Oregon – Oh my, I’ve always wanted to go to Voodoo Donut after seeing it featured on “No Reservations” - - maple bacon donut, why yes I think I will (and I don’t even really have a sweet tooth). :devil: Have a great weekend with your DD

Eileen in SD - prayers to you and all your family for your mother's health and your emotional health too. You are stronger than the stress, stronger than the cravings - - remind yourself of this along the way :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    Eileen sending prayers your way, I have an elderly friend sorta in the same position.It is so hard we are truly the sandwich generation and it is just unbearable sometimes at the decisions we need to make.My mom passed away 13 yrs ago of kidney disease at only 65 yrs old, that was way to young, but she had not taken care of herself, she didn't eat right,she smoked and she was an alcoholic for many many years, she was sober almost 20 yrs before she passed but the damage was done.
    I to have kidney disease but am trying to get on track to be healthier and lose the weight which in turn will help the kidneys.
    Making a grocery list now,and yes I did get to the gym for 45 minutes today., made another friend ,it's nice to make friends that are doing the same thing you are....
    I did try the treadmill for about 15 minutes today~ bad idea:grumble: not good for the heel,but I did order the pain free book:smile: hoping this will give me some relief, also came home from the gym and shoveled the rest of the deck, so that was about 30 minutes of heavy lifting:wink:
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    hey, y'all!

i'm just not very good at this replying thing, especially when i LOSE the post a couple of times.....:grumble:

i haven't had time to read all the posts, but i'm wishing you ALL health and happiness in the merry month of March! :happy:

Spring WILL be here soon ( i hope!) even though it still feels like winter....

My goal this monthiss to get back on track.

I have enjoyed being back at school with my kiddos~ they are the BEST, and they are the reason I keep going back. :heart:

My arthritis issues are still very painful, and i have to use the cane at school. it really slows me down, and the lack of mobility has
    affected my work~ i feel badly that i'm not as active as i once was with my students, and i feel like i'm not doing all that i should.....
    i save my energy and time for my students.... i've gotten to where i spend the entire day (except for a bathroom break) in my classroom.... it's too much effort to walk to the other side of te building, go upstairs, and visit the office area or the teachers' lounge. the only time the rest of the staff sees me is when they bring their children to the music room. i am slowly going through 35 years of accumulated teaching materials, to pass them on down to younger teachers, if they want my old stuff. more than likely, they won't. maybe i'll just have a big bonfire, instead.

my Mom is doing well, but i can tell she's not as sharp as before. she has little glitches of memory lapse when she's telling me about something. i remember Daddy being the same way, and she would jump in and supply the missing word or thought for him. i guess it's mean of me to not do the same for her, but i want her to see if she CAN finish the phrase or thought before i finish it for her.....

i'm still not old enough for SS, but i am going to talk to my doctor at my next check-up about the possibility of applying for disability. i hate to even TYPE that! but it may help provide the insurance assistance i will need between now and Medicare, if it will even BE there when i turn 65..... i have more than enough years to retire from teaching, but it's the insurance that makes me hesitate. the ortho doc said i'm not ready for a knee replacement yet, and that he wouldn't even consider it until i am "well under 200 pounds"....i'm also going to ask about another arthritis meds... i just don't think this Celebrex is doing very much.
    i felt SO much better when i was at home, going to physical therapy 3X or 2X a week, getting plenty of sleep, and feeling good enough to go work out on my own..... i am so exhausted by the time i get home from school, i just crash. i have been to the gym a grand total of 4 times since returning to work. that is pitiful. even though my insurance costs will double through retirement, i would not be commuting, and i would not need a "wardrobe"..... surely i can "make do" for a couple of years, until i'm old enough to get my SS benefit. the only thing that worries me is the possibility of having a BIG medical expense, like surgery, between now and then.

ok, i've rambled on waaaaay too long, and have offered very little support and/or encouragement to you all. :flowerforyou:

you have NO IDEA how much you all mean to me!!!! i have never in my life been this faithful to anything like keeping a food diary!
    i admit, there are days where i don't put down every single bite..... and there are days when i just want to quit.....
    i hate to imagine how much weight i would have gained this year without your encouragement!!!!!

LindaC, that lovely poem you shared brought a tear to my eye~ that's what it's all about! :heart: :heart: :love: :love:

(forget the Hokey Pokey..... a lame music-teacher joke) :tongue:

i just hope that i can get moving again, and losing again. there's too much wonder and life in the world to sit on the sidelines and watch it go by....

take good CARE of yourself, you ARE worth it! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

and drink that water, even if you HATE it! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

love you all! :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :love:

Janie :smile:
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Grandmalle: Where are you planning to go on the cruise? I am in charge of planning a family cruise for about 30- 40 people for either Jan 2014 or July 2014. We are thinking of Bahamas if we go in Jan or Alaska if we go in July? Any suggestions.

Janie: What do you teach?? and what grade? and where? I teach third grade at the Cairo American College . Teaching sure keeps you moving doesn't it. Never a dull minute once the bell rings. I am so exhausted by the time I get home I fall asleep sittin on the couch.:laugh:
    Phyllis
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I notice that I use a lot of exclamation marks in my comments. It just seems like such short messages to different people need some emotional excitement, I guess.

I picked up the Isagenix yesterday, and had my first shake this morning. I can’t say that I thought it tasted very good, but it is drinkable and I’m excited to be trying something new for a change. Now I need to decide how to use it! My original idea was just to replace my occasional rush glass of Slim Fast with something healthier. Since I want a lifestyle change, I want to be doing it with normal foods that I will eat for a lifetime. I’ve been in such a “diet funk” for the past couple of weeks, though, that I think I’ll try to follow the plan for the next week or so to get myself kick-started and then evaluate from there. The fact that Barbie lost her weight with Isagenix and kept it off is a great endorsement for the product.

The snow is coming down here in the Denver area – they’re predicting a foot today, and I usually end up with even more where I am. I have a client who wants to see a house this afternoon, so I’m hoping that they’ll look out the window and cancel. In the meantime, I’m getting ready! I’m still sore from shoveling out from the last snowstorm, so am a bit leery about this one, but glad for the exercise opportunity. I do have a massage scheduled for Tuesday, so that should help. Have a great weekend!

Texasgal – I think that tricycle is one of the cutest ideas I’ve ever seen for a shower. So creative!

Brooke – I confused myself yesterday – lunch is at 12:30pm, not 11:30am!

Robin – I hope you feel better soon, it doesn’t sound fun.

Jo – I like the wallpaper analogy – thank you!

Cheryl – I hope you’re back to feeling like your usual, healthy self soon!

Barbie – You’re right, of course. Although husbands seem to naturally provide fodder for complaining and joking, we’re certainly blessed to have them and would never want anything to happen to them!

Lori – It sounds like you had a fun week, traveling all over the place!

Michele – Please be sure to post a picture of you in your new dress!

Jean – Welcome to our thread! I think that you’ll find a lot of support here, and I know that you can be successful!

Jmkmomm – You’re such a good DIL! I can’t believe that you take pictures of everything. I hope that your MIL appreciates you.

Linda – I’m glad to hear that everything is moving in the right direction for you!

Eileen – Sending prayers for your mom. Let us know how things are going.

Jane in Colorado
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK, this challenge to set goals for the month should help me stay motivated to stay on track this month. My goals:

Increase treadmill from 3.0 mph to 3.2 mph periodically during my 60 minutes 5 days a week.
    Try Elliptical for 5 minutes once a week even tho I find it really hard to do
    Increase my strength training exercises from 2 days a week to 4 days
    Increase from 6 8 oz glasses of water to 8 glasses most days of the week
    Add other fruits besides banannas and oranges.
    Try to walk the dog twice a week

I'd like to lose another 9 lbs in the next 9 weeks before my 63rd birthday.

Candy from North Carolina
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Brook- I don't do spring cleaning! I try to hit spots all year long. :laugh:
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have somewhat the same problem with my mum who is 84.Thankfully she's mobile with a walking aid but lives in sheltered housing (I think maybe that's assisted living tho I'm not sure, life is different here across the pond) I take her grocery shopping on a Saturday and generally come out a basket case due to her not wanting to spend her money (she can actually afford it)
    Anyway, today I was just grateful that she's still here with us and that I still do have a mom to argue with.
    Tomorrow is mother's day here so a BIG shout out to all you moms worldwide who do such a GREAT job