WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2013

Options

Replies

• bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, the real first air that feels like spring will be sprung from the depths of winter.....had door and window open for some fresh air flow, took out the Easter box, did the mantle , dining room, and family room fireplace with a few things....just because it gets too gloomy between Christmas and summer.....

Hope all the vitamin F's are doing well, despite our challenges; there are so many wonderful new people, it is a pleasure to read about your inspiring lives when I get a chance to catch up with posts....

off to prep for tomorrow, BJ
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Being very lazy in Georgia today. Very lazy.... Watched 'Mama Mia!' on TV and have been working on an embroidered quote of "love is patient, love is kind...." for my nephew and his bride. Stitching words does NOT interest me very much, not sure what I was thinking when I bought it.

Doing another load of laundry with permanent press to follow, then probably more laziness for the rest of the day. Son the oldest came by to pick up random mail that came to our house and visited for a few minutes. He turns 37 this week.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lori h :happy: peanut butter cake sounds DIVINE. I will look up a recipe for that one!

The hike ended up three of us. We did a 9 mile moderate-strenuous hike in wissahickon gorge. Buried deep within the gorge is valley green inn, where we stopped roughly halfway for a decadent brunch. I'm not worried about the calories or fat because we easily hiked it off.

What a beautiful day it was.

Now it's back to reality and laundry.

I think my true calling was to be a park ranger.

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Other plank options...hold plank AND hold one arm straight out at a time for 10 sec (no break), then each leg for 10 sec each. Rest then do again. Repeat 3 x. Ouchie!!
    Another is to elevate your legs onto a step. Hold plank for 45 sec. Front (45 sec) and Side planks (40 sec) can be done this way. Really challenges your core in a different way.
    Have fun!!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all the well wishes and virtual soup. I am feeling better. Throat is better and I made it thru yesterday without a fever. I feel so much better that I have to keep reminding myself not to do to much.

For those of you new to the thread environment. When a thread hits 500 posts it locks. (you can see how many posts it has before you open it) Don't try to reply to that thread it will vanish into the ether. You will notice on the 500th post (when you "view" it) a little thing at the bottom that says <this topic continued here>. click on the 'here' and it will bring you to the new thread. Then one you post on the new thread it will start showing up in the "My Topics" section of your screen.

Have a great day all

Robin Bodi and Ritter
    PNW
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    well I am finally sitting down for the evening, I did lolly gag for a few minutes here and there today but mostly busy...
    my foot is calming down just a bit, but holy cow did it hurt this morning, and being on your feet for hrs at a time isn't ideal.I baked and cooked and did everything I was supposed to do at least until tomorrow. And I was in to much pain to even contimplate the gym today.. soooooo I guess I will be off to the gym in the morning:wink:
    It is beautiful with the sun out this late,once my foot heals I will be out walking and I cant wait for that. I made all sorts of goodies for the DH and I didnt have any.. i did have a bowl of special k and an apple for a snack
    tried to call my friend Ruth up at the cape but she didn't answer her phone, will try calling in the morning before work...
    all of you are out there hiking, running, biking, and I feel like a lump on a log compared to some of you, but alas until the darn heel is in great shape sorta hard for me to do alot on my feet anyway.. well back to the recumbent tomorrow a.m.
    everyone enjoy the evening and spring will be bustin out all over soon!!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.
    Started day in the er clinic with daughter.She has been complaining of ear pain.Dr said it`s an ear infection and continue the ear drops I was giving her.Thought the ear infections were over now that she`s a teen.I think she`s had more as a teen then a baby.
    Rainy weather today,no outside walk,hopefully in am.
    HUGS
    jane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    Jane does she sill have her tonsils? I was plagued with ear infections and strep throat until I finally had my tonsils out at 30:noway:
    after that was done and I healed no more problems:wink:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Bump to see where I left off!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I didn’t realize how exhausted I was until I couldn’t get up this morning even after a nap yesterday and going to bed early……the good part was that because I slept so late, the whole morning dog walk was done in the daylight.

:flowerforyou: Meg, about being afraid to succeed, the solution is the stay in the moment…..be like the clock ticking in the thunderstorm……no matter whether the scale shows a happy or a sad result, just continue to put one foot in front of the other and keep doing what you’re doing without thought of what it means for the future.

:flowerforyou: Gail, your Saturday visit to the gym sounds awesome…I’ll be doing my home weight training routine in a few minutes……I, too, spend my money for healthy food and not for alcohol or fancy coffee.

:flowerforyou: LindaS, I haven’t had a knee replacement but all my friends who have had one said that it was worth the effort and they were glad they had done it.

:flowerforyou: Moxie, if you read the posts on the thread, when you get to the last one there is a link at the bottom that you click on and it goes to the next part.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, weights are great whether they are made of metal, sand, or flesh and bone
    dogs are such great helpers when you work out.

:flowerforyou: Lila, I read “Younger Next Year for Women” and it made a huge difference in my life……I added some new activities and behaviours as the result of reading the book and the book reconfirmed the importance of some of the things I’d been doing already……keep reading, you’ll be glad you did.

:flowerforyou: MA, walking with the dogs in snow and knitting are two of my favorite things……how great that you got to do both of them today.

:flowerforyou: Lori, it’s probably too late now, but it is possible to say to no to birthday cake…I started doing that four years ago and found that it was a great decision.

:flowerforyou: Lgblack, thanks for the new plank ideas…….right now I do them with ankle weights but I’ll try adding the suggestion of holding out one arm or one leg

:flowerforyou: Robin, do you write professionally? Your explanation of what to do when the thread reaches 500 posts is the best I’ve read.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, how great that you have a recumbent bike that you can ride while your heel is healing

:flowerforyou: Jane, hugs to you

:bigsmile: This has been sort of a rest day……Jake needs the rest to recover from the surgery and I’m resting along with him (except, of course, for walking the dogs, doing the laundry, riding the recumbent bike,and doing my almost an hour of weight training). We watched “Skyfall”….we saw it in the theatre and liked it so much that we bought the DVD. I’ll be in bed very early so I can be up to drive him to an early appointment with the chiropractor

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

Resolutions for March

*twice a week dance practice at home
    * make appointment and go see the osteoporosis doctor
    *act the way I want to feel

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    1106241cyq8lup5ij.gif
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    :happy: Howdy from snowy Omaha. It’s really coming down hard! Originally we were going to get 2-4” and now they are saying around 8”. I sure wish we’d have a snow day tomorrow. Everyone wear their jammies inside out for me tonight! I already had a student call me…she went to South Dakota and on her way back she went into a ditch in Iowa and tow trucks aren’t running where she is so she is in a hotel til tomorrow!

Our builder was here most of the day today and the garage is coming along well. I can’t wait to be done with it and the other little things he’s doing. I pulled a recipe book off the shelf in the pantry today and about 20 spices fell on the floor along with half the cookbooks. UGH!:grumble:

Grandmallie: oh that is so sad about your friend. Those diabetic ulcers are so awful. I’m so sorry you are going through this but glad she has someone to go through it with her even if it’s long distance. It sounds like you have a special friendship. :flowerforyou: I sure hope your foot starts to improve!

Gail: chili and cornbread….what time should I be over???:bigsmile:

Suebedew: you inspired me to have goals for March LOL. I’m sticking with 2: log my food every day and drink 90 ounces of water.

Jackie: I hope your hike was better than expected!

Kathy: congrats on the weight loss!

Michele: Thanks for your good wishes for Benny. We have game night after dinner, so usually dinner is easy to fix and we eat on paper plates to save time cleaning up. We take turns picking the game and we all play the same game. I’d like to try backgammon games where 2+2 play, then switch, but we haven’t done that yet. We have lots of board games and do some card games. I’d like to get some new ones though. DH’s family always have a game going they call “wahoo” but it’s basically Sorry with marbles. It sits out on a table and they use a homemade board and people just sit and play every now and then. They have a huge family and people are always over at this one person’s house.

Katla: very interesting thoughts. I think you have some great points. Thanks for sharing with me. The story about your former student was fabulous. I don’t think I fear change as much as I just don’t want to change because….um….well….hmmmm I don’t really know why! Maybe I am afraid I would be uncomfortable? I’ll have to ponder that for a while.

Kate: sending you negative birthdays so you wake up in your real body tomorrow! :tongue: Hope you feel better!

Eileen: praying for your mother, you, and family!

LindaSundance: sending you good wishes for your weight loss goal :flowerforyou: so you can get that knee taken care of! My hubby was so dreading his shoulder replacement but now he lives without pain and loves it.

Jo: is Mothering Sunday the same as our Mothers’ Day? If so it is in May and usually right around my birthday so I get lots of attention! Well Happy Mothering Day to all my friends In UK! I know what you mean about compliments. I was the same way until I started telling my daughters to accept compliments gracefully and ooooops….guess what? I needed to learn the same lesson.

Moxie: at 500 posts Barbiecat creates a new thread and puts the link on the old board. So go to the old board where you have been posting and find the last or next to last post and click on the link….and here we are!

DeeDee: OMG that story cracked me up. :laugh: Yes, that counts as weight lifting + sit ups! That goes on all the time here! Hope you had fun herding the boys!

DebA: I hate that when a wonderful meal returns to haunt me at night! A lot of times after eating out I start off the night in my recliner and come to bed later. I find I feel much better after that. I try so hard not to get too full, but sometimes it does sneak up on you!

LuAnn: I have never been to the Jersey shore, but it was always a place on my travel list. I have been following the stories of the boardwalk and shore area and I’m so sorry about all the devastation. Maybe they will build it back better than ever.

Renny: I love that song. Thanks for bringing me memories!

Lila: wow a size 8? I was born a size 10! Congratulations! That is so inspiring to read.

MA: sounds like a delightful day.

Lori: I had to laugh about your DH! Happy birthday to DD! Wow that peanut butter cake put an inch on MY butt!:laugh:

Robin: so glad you are on the mend. Rest and be good to yourself.

JaneMartin: sending good wishes for your daughter’s recovery. Ear infections in older kids/adults are painful!

Barbie: I love what you said…be the clock ticking in the storm. I will remember that. You and Jake get your rest!:heart:

Well ladies I am going to help DH finish the deep cleaning in our bedroom. He’s been out blowing the snow or rather it appears to be blowing him around instead! Stay warm everyone. Take care, meg
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump
  • karphl
    karphl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies- enjoy reading the posts and getting to know everyone. Had a quiet weekend with lots of workout time and 1 1/2 feet of snow :-) love the snow and one of my goals is to be in good enough shape to ski next winter (I live in a ski resort and haven't been able to ski due to weight pressure on my knees and rest of body for past few yrs).

Have a good week.

Karen in northern NM
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    Hello to all from very cold very, very windy SD. Of course it is daylight savings time and this is the Sunday we play handbells at two church services, 8:00 and 11:00. So had to be at church at 7:20 this morning. It came much too early after we were at the symphony last night. It rained all day yesterday and then got really cold and windy. My poor horse was shivering this morning. Brought her into the barn and put a light blanket on her while she was eating. I kind of hated having to put her back out in the pasture. I met with my dietician this last week and am trying a new eating plan called constant carbs. So far it is going well but I think it will take some time to see results. I meet with her again in two weeks. I will see what happens between now and then. Sending healing angels to all who are ill or having difficulties. Kudos to those who are losing! Best wishes to all. Sue in SD
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Glenda - you do cooking for large groups, right? I have a question, is there a type of slicer for mushrooms? I tried using my egg slicer, one part unfortunately broke and Vince got me a new one. It was a different brand (OXO) and that one broke. I think it broke because one of the mushrooms was bigger. My old egg slicer (KitchenAid) was larger. Anyway, I wound up slicing them by hand. I'd like to have some sort of slicer because occasionally I can get the mushrooms on sale so I stock up. But first I need to slice them and roast them, then I can freeze them. How do you slice mushrooms for a large crowd?

DeeDee - I would say that situps with a doggie on you absolutely counts as situps with added weight.
    Got up, did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Had breakfast then went to Big Lots to get another chair. Actually, it probably wouldn't have been worth it but in the same strip mall I needed to go to the store to return the celery I got yesterday (I'd forgotten I already had some, want to finish that up) and milk for Vince. then made a sour cream blueberry cake for this guy at the Y. I don't completely understand what happened, but it looks like something leaked out onto the bottom of the oven. Hope this cake turns out OK. It just sounded so good when I saw the recipe. I'm going to refrigerate it before taking it out of the pan. The bottom crust has a lot of butter so hopefully, that'll help. Update: a friend told me that to get a cheesecake out and not have to use the bottom of the cheesecake pan, turn the cheesecake upside down and then right side up on the plate you want it on. Well, I did that, only the top of the cake stuck to the first plate. It tasted OK, but looked rather weird.

Lila - congrats in being an 8. That's wonderful. Hope the book starts to get more interesting. Let us know how it goes

Tomorrow I'll do a short pilates DVD. See, I got a new one with 5 twenty minute segments. I need to check out the DVD so if there's a problem I can return it. Then I'll take the extremepump class.

Lori - happy birthday to your daughter. We have the same tradition in our home, the birthday person gets to pick out the dinner.

lg - I don't think I've ever done planks by elevating your legs on a step. Will have to give that a try.

barbie - not only are dogs good helpers when you're working out, cats are, too. They show me explicitly how to do things like cat/cow. And when I'm doing a plank, they like to walk under the "bridge"....lol Only it makes me so jealous when I see how flexible their spine is. I'm no where near that flexible.

meg - do you have any idea how many will be over to play on game night?

Well, here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies...it has been awhile and I have missed it. Am back to logging ...trying to be faithful to it. Am in a bit of a funk...eating the same old stuff with no changes...I was reading about a book called The Fast Metabolism Diet...has anyone read it?? I decided not to purchase it after reading some of the reviews...sounded good in theory but one reviewer said the calories were quite low (under 1000)...something that caught my attention, though, was how nutrients were mixed up during the week...good carbs, fruit,low fat, little protein for two days, the next two days lots of protein and veggies and the other three days good mixes of all...I am going to try that approach, using my calories target and see how I like the changes...will keep you posted.

I had a nice nsv the other day...one of my new co -workers was asking about my workouts...so I told her what I did...I even shared the scary lady book for weight training...she told me she even went to the gym with her daughter!

We had a beautiful sneak peak at Spring weekend...had windows open and let the fresh air blow in. Our kitchen is coming along...new counters, sink and floor...dh is sanding and polyurothaning (I know I mangled the spelling) the cabinets. I have made several trips to the store for new cabinet hardware...hopefully this time we will like something after we put it on the cabinet.

Wishing everyone a good evening...happy belated Mothering Day to the moms in the UK! Hugs and prayers for the challenges and high fives for the healthy choices and changes!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Meg - you missed some good chili! We have to get our dose of Hatch green chile every week or so, and had more of the green chile with breakfast.

Yesterday I made a ham and potato casserole for during the week. Tonight I pan grilled 6 or so slices of pork loin so we have some made ahead for a work night. We had some of the pork with basmati rice, steamed zucchini and fresh cantaloupe for supper.

Really was lazy today physically, but I did finish the stitchery around 6p. Now I have to decide about finishing it off -- I'm thinking of adding it to the top of a ready made pillow and trimming it out. The verse is in a heart shape, so I think I'll look in the wedding section to see if there is a ring bearer's pillow I can use. I've done that with counted cross stitch pieces and it works great -- just a little cheater method to a finished product. I really need to get my sewing machine fixed, too, as I have a project half done that is all over the dining room. I used fusible web and cut various holiday shapes, which were ironed on to dish towels - they will be gifts next Christmas. I only got part way through stitching down the edges before that foot pedal gave out. Maybe I'll start a knitted baby blanket tonight as there are several I know of expecting.

Just want you to know I do read all the posts, even if I don't respond individually most of the time. Prayers ascend for all those requesting (and even those who don't) and, though I have never met any of you in person, you are in my thoughts throughout the day. Isn't it weird how that can happen? I guess it is the common experience.

Good night to all - going to cast on some stitches.

Gail, metro ATL
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Happy March, everyone!

Barbie,:flowerforyou: I hope you and Jake get the rest you need to recover quickly. You always write something that encourages me~ I will try to remember to be like the ticking clock…

LindaS,:flowerforyou: I am SO PROUD of YOU~ you are doing an amazing job on your weight loss journey, and you are almost ready for knee replacement~ that’s GREAT!!! Keep it up, doll~ you’re almost there! :heart: :heart: :bigsmile:

DeeDee,:flowerforyou: that was so cute when you shared about your doggie’s help with the workout! :tongue: :wink: :laugh:

Meg,:flowerforyou: it’s always good to hear from you! I hope Benny Beagle will be just fine! :happy: :flowerforyou:

Michele,:flowerforyou: I am just in awe of how BUSY you are, and how MUCH you get done! :love: Wish your energy would rub off on me….:blushing: :happy:

I splurged the other day and bought some flavored water called Hint. I think I fell in love…..:smooched: :blushing: :love:

I am going to get one of those water pitchers that has the cylinder in it where I can add fruit, or whatever and FLAVOR my water—I’ve seen a bunch of recipes on Pinterest that I want to try~ who knows, I may even learn to LIKE it! :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:

Spring Break is one week away.:bigsmile: I am determined to finish organizing my classroom for the remainder of the term, and try harder to LEAVE the building on TIME, instead of staying late, doing “one more thing”….:smile:

Hope the time change doesn’t mess with my waking up early in the morning…..:noway: :yawn: :ohwell:

Take CARE, Ladies~ you are doing a wonderful thing for yourselves by committing to a healthy lifestyle! :flowerforyou: :heart:

It may try our patience at times, but we ARE worth it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :love: :love:

Janie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm Chili and cornbread. anyone have a small recipe for cornbread. I usually use the Jiffy cornbread but I don't know if I have the will power to put the rest aside. Does cornbread freeze well? I love my cake in a mug so much that it would be nice if there was a cornbread in a mug