PLS POST SUCCESS WITH BARIATRIC SURGERY

Options
Hello Everyone I will be getting the sleeve done in two weeks and was wondering if you could post your success with weight loss surgery. Thanks!

Replies

• kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone I will be getting the sleeve done in two weeks and was wondering if you could post your success with weight loss surgery. Thanks!

May I ask why you want a surgery? Is there no other options?
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If she's getting the surgery in two weeks, she's gone through all the testing and counseling and there are no other options for her.

Good luck, OP. Sorry, but I don't have any experience or advice.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just had RNY January 22. I was 350lbs. I had a 3 week pre-op diet. I weighed today and I was 294 lbs. I had considered the sleeve, but it isn't reversible and I wanted the biggest bang for my buck, so I went with RNY Gastric Bypass. The sleeve, from what I have seen, has been very successful for a lot of people. It just wasn't for me. I wish you luck. It's a very crazy journey...especially for the first month or so. If you have not already found www.thinnertimesforum.com, you REALLY need to look at it. There is tons of information on there. Also, feel free to friend me and ask any questions. I'm very open with what I had done and will be happy to help you.
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A friend had the lapband and yes she has lost weight. However, she is no longer as much fun to be around she belches constantly, eats sweets all the time (cause they go down easy) and is FREQUENTLY throwing up because she ate too fast or didn't chew enough etc. She is much more short tempered and I would guess malnourished. I'm sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear and I know there are plenty of those that have had success but at what cost?
  • kakes80
    Options
    If she's getting the surgery in two weeks, she's gone through all the testing and counseling and there are no other options for her.

I meant no disrespect to the op. But I disagree with you, there are always other options outside of an evasive surgery. I started at nearly 380 and I know others who were bigger than I am that did it the hard way with diet and exercise. I considered surgery but then realized it was a huge cop out. YES maybe if she has other issues it felt like the ONLY option but like the person said right above me, at what cost? I know a girl who had LOST A TON of weight with surgery 10 years ago, today she has more than half that weight back and has constant health issues and vitamin issues within her body to where she has a constant picc line at home for vitamin shots. I only asked because if surgery isn't a MUST, then I strongly urge her to explore other options. Thats all.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

I meant no disrespect to the op. But I disagree with you, there are always other options outside of an evasive surgery. I started at nearly 380 and I know others who were bigger than I am that did it the hard way with diet and exercise. I considered surgery but then realized it was a huge cop out. YES maybe if she has other issues it felt like the ONLY option but like the person said right above me, at what cost? I know a girl who had LOST A TON of weight with surgery 10 years ago, today she has more than half that weight back and has constant health issues and vitamin issues within her body to where she has a constant picc line at home for vitamin shots. I only asked because if surgery isn't a MUST, then I strongly urge her to explore other options. Thats all.

A huge "cop out" huh? How about a huge "life changing event that forces one to make healthy decisions." Cop out my @$$. This was the hardest thing I have ever gone through. And it's people like you that talk about stuff that you have NEVER experienced, that would turn someone off to it....and it might be the only thing that saves their life. Who the hell do you think you are? I fought for 25+ years to lose weight. And all I did was gain. I was dperessed several times to the point where I had a shotgun in my mouth. I tried to drink myself to death. Everytime I would lose 5 pounds I would gain 10. Who the hell do you think you are? a "Cop out"????? You should be ashamed.

For the first time I can ever remeber, I wake up, refreshed, I have slept all night. No back pain. And I am HAPPY. And it was because I had surgery that forced me to change the way I eat. It's not a magic wand and it doesn't make you skinny overnight. And I still bust my *kitten* in the gym every chance I get. So before you go judging people....take a second....and think.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    QUOTED ABOVE FROM POSTER

You are disrepecting her by post your original comment. She was not here looking for other options, she was quite specific in what she was looking for. You are also disrespecting the OP by stating that you did it the "Hard way with diet and exercise" as if your way is the right way. You are disrespecting her by saying it is a "cop out" --- I'm sure if she's two weeks out from surgery she's explored other options.

By posting your opinion on a thread that was NOT asking it, you are disrepecting the OP. Your way is not my way or the OP's way, our ways are the ones we discover that work for us. My great's not your great.

Best of luck OP! Every program works if you work it lifelong!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options

A huge "cop out" huh? How about a huge "life changing event that forces one to make healthy decisions." Cop out my @$$. This was the hardest thing I have ever gone through. And it's people like you that talk about stuff that you have NEVER experienced, that would turn someone off to it....and it might be the only thing that saves their life. Who the hell do you think you are? I fought for 25+ years to lose weight. And all I did was gain. I was dperessed several times to the point where I had a shotgun in my mouth. I tried to drink myself to death. Everytime I would lose 5 pounds I would gain 10. Who the hell do you think you are? a "Cop out"????? You should be ashamed.

For the first time I can ever remeber, I wake up, refreshed, I have slept all night. No back pain. And I am HAPPY. And it was because I had surgery that forced me to change the way I eat. It's not a magic wand and it doesn't make you skinny overnight. And I still bust my *kitten* in the gym every chance I get. So before you go judging people....take a second....and think.

XOXOXOXOXO!
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    No experience but wanted to wish you luck...
    Seems a lot of people out to bash and harm today :(
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options

Take this for what it is. I have no bad opinion of people who have surgery to reduce weight. If that is their method best of luck to them and I wish them well. But I don't want to be FORCED to be healthier. I want to SEEK to live healthier.
  • kakes80
    Options

Seriously what is with people TAKING EVERYTHING OUT OF CONTEXT! WHEN I SAID COP OUT I MEANT FOR ME!! Not for her, I ASKED a question. I REALIZE it saves someones life sometimes BUT I JUST ASKED! IT was a cop out for me because in the first month of considering the surgery I had to change EVERYTHING. I KNOW ITS HARD AND when I changed those things in my life I realized I COULD DO IT with diet and exercise! You can't assume you know everything from one thing I said. I am happy that you got the help you needed But I wasn't talking to you or about YOUR experience. So many people are quick to attack people! I wasn't attacking her I wasn't telling her NOT to do it, I was asking her a question. And you are right, IM NO ONE! I am just someone who asked a question. Thats all... Good lord!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No experience but wanted to wish you luck...
    Seems a lot of people out to bash and harm today :(

Same here - no experience either. I hope your surgery goes well, that you heal quickly and that you have great success!!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    no experience here either. I just wanted to wish you luck and good health!
  • jamieinomaha
    Options
    My husband had RNY surgery. It was the right choice for him, no regrets! He went from 390 to about 230 lbs.

Everyone responds to surgery differently. He had no major side effects.

A few things to be aware of: No one gets heavy without having some sort of food addiction. This surgery will force you to break that addiction and eat healthy. But it's hard. My husband went through a grieving/depression phase. Luckily, the weight loss helped keep him motivated.

He had a liquid-type diet pre and post-op. That was very hard for him, but he did it! You can too!!

He did experience vomitting a lot at first, but honestly it was when he ate too fast or ate something he shouldn't have.

He is about 3 years post op now and looks/feels amazing. He works out regularly. His eating habits have slipped a bit, but he watches the scale religiously. He says that he A) never wants to go back to the weight he was for a variety of reasons and B) never wants to "give up" what he earned through the surgery

If you have any other quesions, let me know.

Good luck!!!!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would make a serious attempt to lose the weight yourself before considering any surgery for weight loss.
    My neighbour passed away do to complications from gastic bypass she did it to be there for her son well now her son is being raised by his grandparents.
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had the VSG done on 11/1/12 (today is exactly 4 months post-op) and I'm down almost 63 lbs. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. I feel great, I'm working out, eating healthfully, and I would say I'm a definite success. :) Good luck to you! Feel free to friend me if you have any questions! I'm happy to answer!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    All I want to say besides good luck is-

BAMBAM, if I'm ever in a bar fight after looking at your photos- I totally would want you in my corner.
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options

Seriously what is with people TAKING EVERYTHING OUT OF CONTEXT! WHEN I SAID COP OUT I MEANT FOR ME!! Not for her, I ASKED a question. I REALIZE it saves someones life sometimes BUT I JUST ASKED! IT was a cop out for me because in the first month of considering the surgery I had to change EVERYTHING. I KNOW ITS HARD AND when I changed those things in my life I realized I COULD DO IT with diet and exercise! You can't assume you know everything from one thing I said. I am happy that you got the help you needed But I wasn't talking to you or about YOUR experience. So many people are quick to attack people! I wasn't attacking her I wasn't telling her NOT to do it, I was asking her a question. And you are right, IM NO ONE! I am just someone who asked a question. Thats all... Good lord!

I didn't get that impression from what Kakes said either. She was simply stating what her opinion was for her. Bam Bam you have a very valid point in how well it has work for you. But that doesn't mean she has the same opinion on how it may have suited her.
  • New2013_Holley
    Options

SO VERY WELL SAID!!! Judging others' actions is one of the worst things humans do. Comparing yourself and saying that you are better because you're doing something a certain way. WTF. I had the VSG Dec. 21, 2012, and am using the change in my body as it's meant to be: a tool. I make healthy food choices, exercise more, take the stairs instead of the elevator and feel better physically and better about myself than I have in many many years. Being down 45 lbs makes it so much easier to keep the momentum going, too! HOW someone loses weight is irrelevant. CELEBRATING the fact that they want to lose and are trying and suceeding is what we should focus on.

By the way- congratulations on your success!!! Go GO GO!

and FYI Kakes80- losing weight and living healthy is never easy. There is no "easy way out,' which contradicts your ignorant statement.
  • shelleyjo1970
    shelleyjo1970 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck.... I had surg. Dec 11, 2012. 12 weeks ago and I have lost 71 pounds. It was the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF. Don't let anyone influence you. Everyone has an opinion. Only you and your Doctor can truly decide what is best for you. I struggled with weight for 17 years and had little to no SUCCESS. I was a size 22 going into surgery and today I am a size 14. For me the weight loss alone was not just an issue but I was taking 16 different medications for lupus and other health conditions. I can proudly say that I take a flintstone w iron vitamin twice daily. I wish you much success and God's speed. Shelley
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!