Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have tried several brands of plain Greek yogurt and I hate it. I can't get used to the taste. But flavored greek yogurt isn't too bad.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    For me it is great. Regular yogurt has the texture of salad dressing, so i wasn't eating a whole lot of that. Greek yogurt is much creamier and way better nutritional profile. Food that doesn't make me gag is a bonus.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    It is vile, disgusting, inedible, vomitous sludge. With lots of protein, oh joy.

BUT!!!

http://www.stonyfield.com/products/frozen/greek-frozen-yogurt/nonfat/chocolate = Happiness in my mouth.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I can't really eat yogurt much because I'm allergic to dairy. But when I do, I only eat the full fat, plain variety. I usually add fresh or frozen (thawed out) berries, sometimes a scoop of protein powder. :smile:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I just had some Yoplait black cherry with 1/4 cup of special K on top. YUM
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ive never been a huge yoghurt eater but chobani greek yoghurt is the bomb! I initially ate it and added some honey...but now i eat it plain....i started to eat it like mentioned for the protein :)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it because I love the taste. I eat it because it is so much better for me than the other yoghurts around. I mix it with fruit most mornings for breakfast so that sweetens the taste up nicely for me. Eat to live, not live to eat!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    tastes like butt
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it because I love the taste. I eat it because it is so much better for me than the other yoghurts around. I mix it with fruit most mornings for breakfast so that sweetens the taste up nicely for me. Eat to live, not live to eat!

yeah but there is healthy food that tastes good also. why settle for something that tastes like crap?

you can put some in your protein shake or mix it with A LOT of other things to make it passable though.
  • rmh1262
    rmh1262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it is very nasty, so I add a lil sweetener to mine, but the craze is the high protein content, and the fact it does help burn calories.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i don't like it on its own but i find myself having it alot lately with granola and honey or with strawberries. very tasty this way in my opinion.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think it is very nasty, so I add a lil sweetener to mine, but the craze is the high protein content, and the fact it does help burn calories.

Sorry, but no. Eating any food does not help "burn" calories.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I eat Zero Fat Greek Yogurt because it has 23g of protein in 8 oz. Plain because I don't want any added sweeteners. It tastes fine to me, but then I have an unusual palate. I like almost everything.
  • clh1967
    clh1967 Posts: 1
    Options
    My bariatrician recommends Chobani; he says it's the best. I mainly eat greek yogurt for the protein although I'm not a huge fan of yogurt. I would never eat regular yogurts because they don't have enough protein and they're too runny and have a lot of fillers, but Chobani non-fat tastes the best in my opinion. If you're not a huge fan of yogurt, just force it down and think, "I'm eating to live, not living to eat".
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just made my first batch of Greek yogurt. It turned out amazing! Very thick and creamy. It was a fun process too. I will definitely be doing it again. I think it tastes better than the store-bought kinds I've tried, and it's definitely cheaper! Looking forward to using it on baked potatoes as well as for breakfast or lunch with fruit or a little vanilla added. Yum!
    Thanks for the link in your earlier post (America's Test Kitchen). Did you use the powdered milk? Several people commenting on the recipe said it gave the yogurt an off taste. I would prefer not to use it (expensive and not a pantry item). Also, are you able to calculate the nutritional profile? Does the protein for the full recipe equal the amount of protein in the milk you used? Also, are you able to calculate the net sugars remaining (much is lost in the straining process)?

Looking forward to making this. Wish I had a yogurt maker or slow cooker.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from Oikos and Chobani and all those with fruit on the bottom. Some have 22g of sugar per serving. A Hershey bar has 24g.
    Wouldn't that be true of pretty much any sweetened (fruit or vanilla) yogurt? Plain Chobani has 9g of sugar per 8 oz. serving, so the amount of additional sugar for the sweetened version is 13g. A medium banana has 14g of sugar. And the Hershey bar comparison isn't apt because candy bars don't contain any of the good stuff that the yogurt contains. I figure, if it fits within your calorie goals, why punish yourself. A lot of people wouldn't be willing to eat yogurt if it weren't sweetened.
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have had some I really don't like and some I love. CHOBANI is by far my favorite and they have many flavors. The mango and pineapple are my two favs. I really don't like the honey one...def not enough flavor for me.
  • mk834
    mk834 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mmmmm... i love it! i usually get fage nonfat plain and mix in frozen raspberries, banana, chia seeds, walnuts, and cinnamon. it's delicious and sooooo healthy!
  • jboss1989
    jboss1989 Posts: 25
    Options
    I love certain ones...Usually I get Oikos in key lime, strawberry, or cafe latte. It is a bit of an acquired taste, though-I remember not liking it at first. Then, again, I didn't like coffee at first either, and now I drink it black all day long. I'm trying to get in the habit of eating healthier, which includes me convincing myself that I like things that may not actually taste so great.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I dont really care for it either. Oh well