Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I suffered from depression that was caused by a very messy divorce. I had no will to do much of anything. I lost my job and many of my SO called friends. One day I asked someone for help, they made me an appointment with an MD. I was diagnosed clinical depression and placed on Prozac, it helped. I then started seeing a psychologist, after a few months I had a breakthrough and I have been ok every since. I took the meds for 9 months. I would not have gotten well without treatment, it is a must! But it isn't a life sentence either. Prayers for you. Please get help.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor now! Don't wait!

Also, get out of bed and go for a walk. Outside.

Walk every day. The more you walk the better you feel. I promise.

But seriously, call your doctor yesterday.

You can do it- don't let the depression win. I have been there and I understand.

^^^ This.

I also found that, when my depression starts creeping up, if I do things for other people, it helps. But if you're to a point where you struggle to get out of bed, then definitely call your doctor immediately. Since it's the weekend, there should be a crisis hotline.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor, and please disregard the people who are telling you depression is a choice. You will get through this and come out on the other side feeling better, but be patient and be kind to yourself.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Please see your doctor, and please disregard the people who are telling you depression is a choice. You will get through this and come out on the other side feeling better, but be patient and be kind to yourself.

I think it depends on the individual. I've been down this road to a very serious degree and had family members die. All I can say is for me, nothing worked long term other than running, exercise and generally taking care of myself. I'm sure medication and counseling does work for some. The OP will need to find her own path and has some significant decisions to make.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the individual. I've been down this road to a very serious degree and had family members die. All I can say is for me, nothing worked long term other than running, exercise and generally taking care of myself. I'm sure medication and counseling does work for some. The OP will need to find her own path and has some significant decisions to make.

I agree that exercise helps. I just think that telling someone with clinical depression that they are choosing to have a chemical imbalance is unkind and wrong. To someone in that head space, it could be interpreted as being told it is their own fault they feel that way, when it really isn't.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I agree that exercise helps. I just think that telling someone with clinical depression that they are choosing to have a chemical imbalance is unkind and wrong. To someone in that head space, it could be interpreted as being told it is their own fault they feel that way, when it really isn't.

This. The implication is that someone who isn't able to get out there and do the exercise is just being lazy and willfully staying in their depression. And considering the OP is experiencing it to the point where she cannot get out of bed, has been previously hospitalized, and is experiencing paranoia about what those around her think, this is NOT a matter of simply choosing to be all of that.

If these were conditions that had a medical name, you would be urging her to go to the hospital. The exact same should apply here. Simply because the condition involves emotion does not mean it doesn't warrant serious and medical treatment. If nothing else, having the safety net of professionals behind her would be good.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Depression happens when you are choosing fear in your life versus love. When you have a negative perception of who you think you are you are choosing fear in your life. This leads to depression and weight gain. Extra weight is never the issue. It's important to get to the root cause of what would cause you to want to eat or stay sedentary, which is often times depression. It's important to get to the root of depression. What are you thinking or believing about who you are? When you change your thoughts, your outer world, including your physical body naturally shifts to match that change, and your weight just sheds off. Go here to learn more: http://www.caitlinwinkley.com/choose-love-not-fear/
    we have different views on the matter...I will leave it at that

I agree completely, Cheri. Consider that is the first post of the above person, take it with a grain of salt.
  • thintor
    thintor Posts: 33
    Options
    Depression happens when you are choosing fear in your life versus love. When you have a negative perception of who you think you are you are choosing fear in your life. This leads to depression and weight gain. Extra weight is never the issue. It's important to get to the root cause of what would cause you to want to eat or stay sedentary, which is often times depression. It's important to get to the root of depression. What are you thinking or believing about who you are? When you change your thoughts, your outer world, including your physical body naturally shifts to match that change, and your weight just sheds off. Go here to learn more: http://www.caitlinwinkley.com/choose-love-not-fear/

"trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back. A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work"
    http://www.hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html
    i too have struggled with depression for almost my entire life, feel free to add me if you ever want to talk :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Depression is certainly not an individual's "fault." I would never say that and if that was read into my statement, I'm sorry. My point is that the individual has a choice of how he/she chooses to deal with it and live his/her life. I found that waiting for someone to "fix" me was incredibly ineffective and ultimately self defeating. After years of dealing with it, something finally went off in my head and I chose to change me. Running is what I use when I feel it coming on and it works incredibly well. I do not know why it works (I could speculate that it is the "runner's high" but all I know is that it does work), but I also watched a schizophrenic older brother use long distance running to a similar effect. It unfortunately was not enough to save him. It has been enough to help me.

My ultimate point here is that she needs to find a way to help herself and not be at the mercy of some random psychologist who can simply talk or a psychiatrist who is going to prescribe pills. At least shop around for one knowing that they are not all the same, and nor are they all that good. It's a profession like any other, some good, some bad.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Definately back to the doc with you young lady. I'm not too bad but I'm struggling a bit with PND and going to the doc was the best thing I could do. Stop feeling guilty about putting on your family and friends (easier said than done, I know) and start talking about it. I got prescribed exercise and CBT but i'm a very light case. I have seen the bottom before though so I understand. Get well soon. This is NOT your fault. This is NOT your fault. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

There are different types of depression.

Yes, there are types that can be managed in the way you describe, but there are other kinds that require different types of intervention. To suggest one solution for a multitude of issues is rather dismissive.

Yes, the term 'depression' is overused, but don't allow that to make you think that there are not many people who suffer from clinical depression that requires more serious treatment.

---

To the OP... talk to your Doc NOW, don't wait. It's so easy to get into a spiral where it's hard to catch yourself back from..

I spent years trying to find a med combination that kept me stable for longer than a few months at a time. It was frustrating, but it's something some of us have to do.

Exercise was never of help to me, I don't get the good feeling so many people talk about, but I figure it's worth a shot. Surround yourself with things you love. Pictures, music, tactile things.

And talk to people here, there are many here who understand.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

"trying to use willpower to overcome the apathetic sort of sadness that accompanies depression is like a person with no arms trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back. A fundamental component of the plan is missing and it isn't going to work"
    i too have struggled with depression for almost my entire life, feel free to add me if you ever want to talk :)

You're 22. Deal with a depression for another 18 years and then come tell me that you're helpless and willpower is futile.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

You're 22. Deal with a depression for another 18 years and then come tell me that you're helpless and willpower is futile.

Depression doesn't have an age limit. I've been struggling with mine since I was 12. Which at this point is nearly 20 years, but it was no less devastating at any other point previously in my life as it can be today. The difference is that I have treatment now, instead the wasted years on the idea that various spiritual approaches, or health approaches, or the idea of white-knuckling it because I was afraid of psychiatry that I sunk into for years.

I delayed life saving treatment for far too long listening to those ideas. It did not cure me - it harmed me, and significantly so.

I like what you said about shopping around - that's good advice. Too many people have a bad experience with one psych and then swear off them entirely. And no one is saying that exercise can't be part of treatment. What we're saying is that it's often not enough.
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Focus on the positives and the I can's. You can do whatever you want. I know it's not always easy, but you must tell yourself that 'you can' and not fret on all of the doubts. When you start worrying about all of the stuff that might happen, catch your through process and tell yourself you can do this and think of all the reasons you can. Don't dwell because dwelling will only paralyze you from living.

Relaxation tapes help to lower the anxiety levels and help you calm the inner demons.

Yoga and exercise are fantastic as well.

I wish you love and peace!
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Depression doesn't have an age limit. I've been struggling with mine since I was 12. Which at this point is nearly 20 years, but it was no less devastating at any other point previously in my life as it can be today. The difference is that I have treatment now, instead the wasted years on the idea that various spiritual approaches, or health approaches, or the idea of white-knuckling it because I was afraid of psychiatry that I sunk into for years.

I delayed life saving treatment for far too long listening to those ideas. It did not cure me - it harmed me, and significantly so.

I like what you said about shopping around - that's good advice. Too many people have a bad experience with one psych and then swear off them entirely. And no one is saying that exercise can't be part of treatment. What we're saying is that it's often not enough.

I am well aware that depression does not have an age limit. My point is that someone at 22 has no business telling someone else that they are helpless. I know helplessness seems to be the message these days, but very few people are truly helpless and telling everyone with a mental health issue that they are helpless is a terrible approach IMO. I learned well past the age of 22 that I wasn't helpless, but it took ignoring the advice I was repeatedly given and finding my own path.

Is the OP helpless? No one on MFP knows one way or the other. We barely have any context here. All we can do is share our experiences and what has worked for us. She will ultimately have to make the decision herself.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I am well aware that depression does not have an age limit. My point is that someone at 22 has no business telling someone else that they are helpless. I know helplessness seems to be the message these days, but very few people are truly helpless and telling everyone with a mental health issue that they are helpless is a terrible approach IMO. I learned well past the age of 22 that I wasn't helpless, but it took ignoring the advice I was repeatedly given and finding my own path.

Is the OP helpless? No one on MFP knows one way or the other. We barely have any context here. All we can do is share our experiences and what has worked for us. She will ultimately have to make the decision herself.

You're making the mistake of associating medical care with helplessness. Just because someone recognizes they have a physical brain dysfunction does NOT make them helpless. It in fact EMPOWERS them to find the proper treatment.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    I seem to be the only one here that regularly mentions exercise as part of a mental health plan (and my doing so always goes over like a lead balloon), so perhaps pointing out that I am not, in fact, swinging in the dark may help. I am not claiming it is THE solution to all life's problems but there is evidence supporting its effective use.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/62/5/633.short

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1424736/
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Yes, exercise does help. And it can help a lot. But it is not always the first thing that needs to be put in place in order to get better. Other, often medical and theraputic measures, treatments have to go into play first.

I honestly don't think you and I are having a disagreement, per say, as talking between the lines. Both of us agree that exercise can help. You do not deny that medication is sometimes nesscary. What we're not agreeing on here is the wording of "choose" to feel better, at least in the worst of the moments.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

You're making the mistake of associating medical care with helplessness. Just because someone recognizes they have a physical brain dysfunction does NOT make them helpless. It in fact EMPOWERS them to find the proper treatment.

If you are saying that medical care is the only solution to mental health issues and a person with mental health issues cannot help himself,herself, then that is helplessness, and I disagree. What you quoted me as saying is now out of context because you did not quote the statement that I was responding to, which was this:

This simile clearly implies helplessness, and I disagree with it.

This may be an areas where we will have to agree to disagree - respectfully.