depression

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The simile simply implies that there needs to be a more and better rounded approach that mere will power. And you're right, disagreeing in this case is probably where we have to stand. That's okay.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    The simile simply implies that there needs to be a more and better rounded approach that mere will power.

Comparing willpower to an armless person trying to punch themselves until their hands grow back is a horrible simile, if it is in fact pushing for a "more and better rounded approach."
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    Yes, exercise does help. And it can help a lot. But it is not always the first thing that needs to be put in place in order to get better. Other, often medical and theraputic measures, treatments have to go into play first.

I honestly don't think you and I are having a disagreement, per say, as talking between the lines. Both of us agree that exercise can help. You do not deny that medication is sometimes nesscary. What we're not agreeing on here is the wording of "choose" to feel better, at least in the worst of the moments.

I am not arguing that medical help is not sometimes necessary. And yes, many of us can "choose" to feel better by doing basic things to help better take care of ourselves that stop short of professional mental health treatment and medication.

Let me try my own simile, immediately treating a mental health issue with professional treatment and pills is like immediately treating obesity with gastric bypass. Start with taking care of yourself, exercise, eat right and find friends either IRL or on line to help with daily bumps. Yes, obviously that is not going to work for everyone, but it will help for many. And yes, it helped with my clinically diagnosed depression. If it doesn't work then, heck yes, seek treatment, but try it first.

Edit: To be very clear, I am not in any way suggesting that I agree with those that say you can "will away" depression. IMO that is a load of crap.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that too. Best thing to do is talk to a counselor and possibly see if "happy pills" (anti-depressant's) might be appropriate. Part of my depression stems from my hormone imbalance and the endocrinologist suggested going on one once. Best move I made. Happy pills are not a sin and it is definitely not a sign of weakness. I grew up thinking "normal people don't take those things." WRONG!!! First of all, there is no "normal". Secondly, if taking a happy pill every day makes it easier for me to live my life and be a better person for my family, and a better, more productive person at work, then I'm all for it.

Any movement is good - whether it's exercise or just completing a task. Today, I'm going to do a load of laundry. I don't have to fold it, but as long as it gets washed and dried, then task complete! Any way that you can build something in to qualify for an "attaboy", then it's worth it. I heard on Dr. Oz one day, "Sit less, move more". That's exactly what I try to do. Doesn't have to be exercise as long as I'm moving.

Getting to a point where "something has to change" is a huge step. Realizing that "I can't do *that* again" (whatever *that* is) is a huge step. Try to be realistic about what steps you are willing to take to put yourself in a better place - whether it's exercise, seeing a therapist/counselor, starting to take happy pills, or whatever the case is. You deserve an attaboy just for being that "in-tune" with where you are. Decide where you want to be and take one-step-at-a-time to get there. You can do it!
  • CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I seem to be the only one here that regularly mentions exercise as part of a mental health plan (and my doing so always goes over like a lead balloon), so perhaps pointing out that I am not, in fact, swinging in the dark may help. I am not claiming it is THE solution to all life's problems but there is evidence supporting its effective use.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/62/5/633.short

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1424736/

I guess I just wanted to say real quick that I would love to go out for a run but at the end of october I broke my right leg in two places and had to go in for emergency surgery...the doc said it will be at least spring before the pain subsides and then I may have to go in for another surgery to remove the screw...so yeah that sucks too
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Depression describes a collection of symptoms, a pattern of behaviour and thought, at a point in time. No question it's a clinical reality. Though health care professionals theoretically know better, in practice, given limited resources, what is sometimes slipped over, once the diagnosis has been made is the wider set of life conditions that came together and allowed it to emerge. Because though yes, it is a clinical reality, it is not exactly the same as, for example, a broken hip, or, epilepsy, or Type 1 diabetes. So the diagnosis becomes divorced from the ecology of the depressed person's current circumstances, and from the personal life history and material and social world from which it emerged. In my opinion, it is too often treated and talked about like a broken hip. (For a range of reasons, including economic ones.)

I think Type 2 diabetes is a better analogy - it emerges over a lifecourse, as a result of many factors, some of which can be addressed by lifestyle.

Therapy is better placed to address those life circumstances, and help develop coping skills. It is also possible for some of that kind of work - for some aspects of care - to be addressed by non-professionals, or by the depressed person his/herself, with, of course, support - but again that support doesn't always have to come from professionals.

I'm another one who found exercise to be more effective than pharmacological treatment (and discovered it later in life, btw, I used to hate exercise). The evidence shows that it's excellent for MOOD management. It doesn't help with meaning, work, or relationships, but I think most agree it can help generate a hormonal environment that's more conducive to supporting constructive action and 'freer', more flexible cognition than is typical with depression. The other massive, impossible-to-overstate benefit is that there are no side effects.

But there's the obvious, major catch-22: how do you convince yourself to exercise, when you can barely get out of bed? If this is a route you wanted to consider, OP, my advice would be to make it a goal for the day. A small, achievable one. 20 minutes of anything. Maybe a DVD that you could do at home, with no one watching. No matter how you feel about it. Like brushing your teeth. Maybe it's the only thing you do in a given day. That's ok. My discovery has been that ****routine and small goal-setting can help so much when motivation is just not there****. (And I am not someone for whom routine is natural, at all, I learned it pretty late in life.)

I back up those suggesting seeking professional care, of course, but second sunsnstatheart in encouraging you, OP, to think about using exercise as one part of your toolkit, and wish you the best.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I guess I just wanted to say real quick that I would love to go out for a run but at the end of october I broke my right leg in two places and had to go in for emergency surgery...the doc said it will be at least spring before the pain subsides and then I may have to go in for another surgery to remove the screw...so yeah that sucks too

Ach. Was writing when you posted this. Sorry about your leg :(

edit: I wonder if rehabbing your leg might help bring a bit of focus to your day... Where are you now in terms of recovery? What's been advised for that?

also: it ****ing sucks to deal with that kind of pain and injury. That on its own can get people seriously down, never mind your history.
  • CheriLMT
    Options
    I struggle with that too. Best thing to do is talk to a counselor and possibly see if "happy pills" (anti-depressant's) might be appropriate. Part of my depression stems from my hormone imbalance and the endocrinologist suggested going on one once. Best move I made. Happy pills are not a sin and it is definitely not a sign of weakness. I grew up thinking "normal people don't take those things." WRONG!!! First of all, there is no "normal". Secondly, if taking a happy pill every day makes it easier for me to live my life and be a better person for my family, and a better, more productive person at work, then I'm all for it.

Any movement is good - whether it's exercise or just completing a task. Today, I'm going to do a load of laundry. I don't have to fold it, but as long as it gets washed and dried, then task complete! Any way that you can build something in to qualify for an "attaboy", then it's worth it. I heard on Dr. Oz one day, "Sit less, move more". That's exactly what I try to do. Doesn't have to be exercise as long as I'm moving.

Getting to a point where "something has to change" is a huge step. Realizing that "I can't do *that* again" (whatever *that* is) is a huge step. Try to be realistic about what steps you are willing to take to put yourself in a better place - whether it's exercise, seeing a therapist/counselor, starting to take happy pills, or whatever the case is. You deserve an attaboy just for being that "in-tune" with where you are. Decide where you want to be and take one-step-at-a-time to get there. You can do it!

Oh I am on several happy pills...anti depressant,anti anxiety,mood stabilizer,antipsychotic,and med for insomnia....been almost all for depression, the diagnosed bipolar and treatment resistant depression I have overdosed probably on my meds no less than 25 times...I am not having suicidal thoughts right now...but I just needed to talk or something ans everyone in my life is tired of listening...I have let them down over and over
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Keep going.. You will make it ..... Depression is hard I have battled it for years... I am finding the more I work out the less time I have to fall back into the old paths..... I always think of the movie finding Nemo.... When the one fish played by Ellen starts singing keep on swimming keep on swinging.... It keeps me going....hope things go better...
  • CheriLMT
    Options

edit: I wonder if rehabbing your leg might help bring a bit of focus to your day... Where are you now in terms of recovery? What's been advised for that?

also: it ****ing sucks to deal with that kind of pain and injury. That on its own can get people seriously down, never mind your history.

Rehab was suggested but I have medicaid and it does not cover physical therapy or the ortho surgeon as it turns out....I am walking but every step is painful...my apartment is up three flights of stairs so i have to deal with that nonsense...I showed the doc where it hurt and he said "yeah that is where we made an incision and hammered in a nail..thats why we knock you out for this surgery" gee..thanks
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    As you can see, you are not alone :heart:

I like to think of it by now saying 'it's not who I am, it's how I'm feeling' - you are beating it down just by posting, never stop fighting it :smile:

personally i think people who cope with depression are extraordinarily strong mentally, to function at all is amazing!!

have a look on Youtube for a documentary that Ruby Wax made on the subject, it is amazing!!

Don't give in, go to your doctor!

if you have to sit on a chair and lift tins for ten minutes at a time to get some exercise do so, it really does help :heart:

Never stop fighting xxxx
  • upgetupgetup
    Options

Rehab was suggested but I have medicaid and it does not cover physical therapy or the ortho surgeon as it turns out....I am walking but every step is painful...my apartment is up three flights of stairs so i have to deal with that nonsense...I showed the doc where it hurt and he said "yeah that is where we made an incision and hammered in a nail..thats why we knock you out for this surgery" gee..thanks

I'm not from your country, but, I can never get over how much it lets its people down, as far as health.

Would it be feasible for you to have just one session, do home exercises, and then follow up with another session in say a month or two? No question lack of mobility impacts everything in your life. Maybe working on healing your physical body would be a way in to healing in other ways.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

I want to simultaneously hug you, support you, and shove you out the door and tell you to walk. Depression sucks. Pain sucks. Find your strength. I'm sorry but it's in there. You know it is. It isn't easy and you may need help from your doctor but if you're left alone with no help and no support, then you have to find that strength and support inside of you.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    Please see your doctor, and please disregard the people who are telling you depression is a choice. You will get through this and come out on the other side feeling better, but be patient and be kind to yourself.

it annoys me when people say its a choice, I suffer with depression for various reasons it certainly isnt a choice.
  • ricklperry
    Options
    Exercise help me
  • SarasMommy13
    Options
    Depression happens when you are choosing fear in your life versus love. When you have a negative perception of who you think you are you are choosing fear in your life. This leads to depression and weight gain. Extra weight is never the issue. It's important to get to the root cause of what would cause you to want to eat or stay sedentary, which is often times depression. It's important to get to the root of depression. What are you thinking or believing about who you are? When you change your thoughts, your outer world, including your physical body naturally shifts to match that change, and your weight just sheds off. Go here to learn more: http://www.caitlinwinkley.com/choose-love-not-fear/
    we have different views on the matter...I will leave it at that

Yeah...Depression can't be controlled in most cases. It can be hormonal or chemical imbalances within the brain. I have postpartum depression and I can tell you that it has everything to do with my hormones and nothing to do with choosing fear versus love, lmfao. Depression isn't caused by negative thoughts about oneself...more like negative thoughts about oneself can be caused by depression.
  • GaloisGirl
    GaloisGirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting how all people who have been through depression (or seen it closely) emphasise the need for professional treatment and those who don't know much about it speak about "chosing love".

I used to be on the "chose love" squad.

Life showed me how wrong I was.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I seem to be the only one here that regularly mentions exercise as part of a mental health plan (and my doing so always goes over like a lead balloon), so perhaps pointing out that I am not, in fact, swinging in the dark may help. I am not claiming it is THE solution to all life's problems but there is evidence supporting its effective use.

I'm not going to argue that exercise DOESN'T help, because it's medically proven to release chemicals that do act as a natural anti-depressant, but for some people, exercise is not always an option, and I feel it's coming dangerously close to blaming them for their depression because they are physically or emotionally incapable of exercise (because, yes, I have been so depressed that I have been barely even capable of standing, let alone walking or running, and I have been so depressed that it has translated into actual, physical pain).
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

I'm not going to argue that exercise DOESN'T help, because it's medically proven to release chemicals that do act as a natural anti-depressant, but for some people, exercise is not always an option, and I feel it's coming dangerously close to blaming them for their depression because they are physically or emotionally incapable of exercise (because, yes, I have been so depressed that I have been barely even capable of standing, let alone walking or running, and I have been so depressed that it has translated into actual, physical pain).

^^ This. Exercise helps me - if I haven't fallen below a certain low point. Sometimes I hit low points where even my medication doesn't help, and taking a shower has been a matter of sheer willpower and often the only thing I accomplish that day. There's no way in hell I can go for a walk on a day like that, much less do my usual workout.

If you're capable of exercising, do it! Frequent exercise has led to me experiencing fewer major low points, so I heartily recommend it. But ****, sometimes you just can't, and that's not a personal failing, that's just a ****ty illness being ****ty.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I too am feeling depressed due to many reasons. I am trying to come up with solutions without having to go on medication. I am going to run in the sun today for starters because my vitamin D is low and start taking St John's Wort. Exercise does amazing things as well as what you are eating. I spin out of control emotionally when I put junk into my body and I feel the best when the base of my food intake is fruits and veggies. I am trying to dig myself out this step by step. The sun being out is helping lighten my mood a lot too. Just do things for yourself and take care of your body. That makes so much difference. A few days ago all I wanted to do was cry and sleep on the couch but I forced myself to exercise and eat right. It is getting better now.