Male body hair, a question.

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
A question for the gang about male body hair preferences. As a minor sasquatch, I've been toying with this all of my adult life. I've finally found a solution that works for me, and I want other's opinions.

I would never shave my body hair, that's just nasty. But when the weather's hot I do like to buzz me'self with the clippers and take off all of the excess - everything above the waist & elbows, including armpits. It's itchy for a day or 2, but after that it's much more comfortable. Is this wierd?

Men - do you/would you do this? Why? Why not?

Women - do you have a preference? What do you prefer?

((I predict that the young gals want smoothies, and the adult women want Tom Selleck. Let's see how it goes... ))

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend shaves everything except for legs and arms and I have grown to prefer this. If he didn't that would be fine as well. Back hair is a big no though. Chest hair can be sexy as long as it isn't a forest. I used to think the shaved armpits were weird, but now when I see guys in the gym with hairy armpits I find it a little disgusting. If you don't want to use a razor you could always get it waxed and it lasts longer.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's weird at all. My husband gives the ole arm pits a buzz every now and again (as well as the southern region) but leaves his furry chest alone :bigsmile:
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I think it all depends on what the guy is comfortable with. When my boyfriend and I started dating he had a hairy back but since he is so self concious about it, he is having laser hair removal, just so he feels better about himself. I personally think that shaved under arms is kinda strange...unless you are a wrestler, swimmer, etc and you have a good reason for it. But to each his own!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Not given it much thought but will definitely keep an eye on the ladies responses. I am a borderline sasq..sasquen....saguench...oh hell a bigfoot.

:bigsmile:
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have done totally bare and don't recommend it, but lately have done what you are suggesting and it is my preference. Especially during the summer. I use an electric trimmer with a low guard on it. I do have to admit though that on two occasions women I were dating at the time "complained" about me losing the chest hair, which they deemed sexy. From my perspective, if you are going to have chest hair firing up from the top of an open shirt collar, you may as well get a big chessy medallion and time warp back to the 70's!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    My hubby is kind of a sas too. Before him I had never dated a very fuzzy guy. I find that I really don't care. It doesn't bother me at all. He's tried removal in the past before we met and said it was very uncomfortable for him and he doesn't want to do it again.

Unless they're swimmers or athletes that have to tape, I don't really see a need for men to shave.

While it's great to try to look nice for your partner, you really shouldn't have to do anything you don't want to do.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    I am 20 years old and have always prefered non-hairy men - hair is just nasty and freaks me right now haha:laugh:.

Saying that.... I would find it weird if my boyfriend shaved his armpits and it was totally smooth, It makes him seem less manly in my eyes (please take no offence to you, this is my opinion). And for his legs, that would just be plain strange!

As for the stomach hair - THAT HAS TO GO!! As does the facial hair :happy:

Have a good day!:flowerforyou:
    Tanya
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My man friend also gives his underarms a buzz on a regular basis, but I can't really tell either way. It still looks manly but maintained. He leaves his chest and stomach hair which I find very sexy (especially the bit heading south :blushing: ) BUT he does grow a Tom 'Stach ever once in a while and I think it looks RIDICULOUS!! Haha, different strokes for different folks I guess
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Older lady here and I like a smooth back, maybe a little bit of chest hair and Iike the hairy pits. No shoulder hair.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Older lady here and I like a smooth back, maybe a little bit of chest hair and Iike the hairy pits. No shoulder hair.

I'm in agreement here... no back and shoulder hair... :love:

Although I can understand where clipping down the chest and pit hair may be more comfortable for a guy during the summer... nothing weird about that! :bigsmile:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :tongue: As far as I am concerned hair on a man is totally sexy, I just love it! And lets be real, this is the way God made you. I don't see why men shave off their hairy chest, arms, back etc.. since it is natural and beautiful! These male models these day with their bare hairless chest etc. are not sexy in any way! So guys go naturla and let the hair grow! :tongue:
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    My husband is kinda furry, but I only mind a few places. We take care of the back and shoulder hair and thankfully the military takes care of the facial hair :). He trims down below to thin out the hair (no bald, yuck) as do I.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the responses.

M'lady prefers the lower jungle trimmed, but otherwise has no preference. I take the back hair off because it's hot, it's miserable, and probably 60% of the world's population finds it grotesque. I take the chest hair off because it's hot, sticky and grey. I get what I call "Gross-gray-old-man chest poof", and I just like it gone. I went bald & gray pretty young (I'm only 42,,,) and that stuff makes me look older than I am, and much older than I feel.

Keep 'em coming, tell us what you REALLY think! :happy:
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I am a bit of a squatch also, not as much as a few of my friends (shudder), but I definately have what you I like to call '70's sex symbol folical body coverage' (sans the mustache).

Anyhoo, during the winter, I generally don't do a great deal of maintenance, but in the summer, I do take steps to clean myself up. I prefer how my bare skin feels, and overall just feel cleaner and sexier. My wife doesn't seem to care, but I do, so I chop-chop as best I can. I also find that I appear more toned or thinner when doing so, but that is proabably psychological.

I have shaved before (and no, it doesn't seem to make it thicker when it grows back), have waxed (I'm sure it was more fun to watch than have it done...youch), as well as using nair etc. I've actually found an initial round of mens nair, then just going over the area with a razor (after rinsing the nair and drying well) to be pretty effective. The nair seems to weaken the hair, giving the dry razor a much easier time of cutting. Afterwards, I'm usually nice and smooth and it lasts for a couple weeks before needing to be touched up again.

So yeah, seems to me that it's just a matter of personal preference. Manda tells me she likes the chest hair, but personally, I like to be smooth in hot weather. I guess the big question is, what looks better in a kilt, a smooth chesty guy, or that above mentioned 70's sex symbol with the sasquatch chest and cop-stache?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I was always a girl who liked less-hairy guys... then I dated a teddy bear. He had hair on his back, shoulders, chest, etc... really, hairy. I learned to like it. It was part of who he was... and I cared for him.

I married a not-so hairy guy... and of course, I love him! I find his smooth back and chest sexy. I appreciate when he trims down south - but certainly don't expect it.

I guess my point is... if I love someone... I find them sexy... hairy or not. I think trimming is a good thing - just from the hair sticking out of the top of the shirt thing... I don't really care for that look. BUT - no matter what you do... make sure that your chest is still comfortable for your lady to lay her cheek on! Ya know... without getting stubble-burned!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't like men who shave their body hair very much. Except back hair. Don't like that so much! There's my 2 cents!
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i've always liked non hairy men better, an luckily the only really hairy thing about my husband is his legs an arm pits! but if i was still single i wouldn't let some hair stop me if i liked someone. we all have flaws!! :D
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    For me it is all about moderation.
    I wouldn't want my husband to be completely hair free but I wouldn't want him to be sasquatch either.
    He isn't very hairy anyways which is good. I do like it when he has abit of facial hair (enough to be soft but not an actual beard) and I like his natural airpit, chest and leg hair length.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :tongue: As far as I am concerned hair on a man is totally sexy, I just love it! And lets be real, this is the way God made you. I don't see why men shave off their hairy chest, arms, back etc.. since it is natural and beautiful! These male models these day with their bare hairless chest etc. are not sexy in any way! So guys go naturla and let the hair grow! :tongue:

Totally agree with Harleygal! :happy:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I prefer trimmed, manscaped, corn husked, whatever term you what to use. A little is good, a lot is not. My husband trims and that is good. I help with his "neckbeard" (his term not mine) and shoulders.

I have never liked a man that was completely bare chested. Could never get into it for some reason.