Are there a lot of backbenders on MFP?

Options

Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I hate you all and will not rest until I can do this too.

Have a nice day. Not really.

Aw, that's sweet. *sniff* We inspired you.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My back feels broken just looking at you all!!! Someday.....someday!
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!

625661_10200687387806272_1112019843_n.jpg
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh why not, everyone loves some good backbending on a Saturday morning.
    IMG_7986_zps7949a494.jpg

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I officially love this thread.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I feel remiss in that I was far too fully clothed (compared to well, all the women plus Emany) in my attempt.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yay, I have a casting director friend who is looking for actors for the next exorcism movie. I will refer her here. jk.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Ok, just tried, and NO. Hahahaha. But to be fair my shoulder is hurting so I couldn't push myself up.

Are they pushing themselves up or doing a full backbend? I used to be able to do both.I'm not sure I can do either now.

But I'm going to try tonight and hopefully will not need an emergency visit to the chiropractor
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try again today using my exercise ball. I WILL DO THIS DAMN IT
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ok, just tried, and NO. Hahahaha. But to be fair my shoulder is hurting so I couldn't push myself up.

Are they pushing themselves up or doing a full backbend? I used to be able to do both.I'm not sure I can do either now.

But I'm going to try tonight and hopefully will not need an emergency visit to the chiropractor
    I can do both. Full back bend makes my muscles crampy but that's how I did it for half my takes. Then I got tired and started pushing up. lol
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I am very un-bendy today. And cranky. And maybe a little cold.

[Insert other excuses here]
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many out there are trying after reading this.Hope nobody gets hurt and everyone can get back up again.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Im a firebender ;P

I can almost do that, but i dont really do yoga often.

I can bend paper clips.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    OMG, I haven't done one since I was like 8, just went and tried it and I can DO IT! Now I need to get a picture LOL I am rather impressed with myself right now :tongue:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yeah.....but I teach yoga so I don't count. :)
  • sboyle1393
    Options
    Doesn't matter your age I'm 19 and if i tried to back bend I'm pretty sure I'd die
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    no, yoga instructors count twice.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would, but Mother always told me when I was young that I would get stuck like that!!!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Please just do it correctly, you don't want the load in the wrong spots of your shoulders or back. :)

[/quote](OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna)
    urdhva = upward
    dhanu = bow

Step by Step

Lie supine on the floor. Bend your knees and set your feet on the floor, heels as close to the sitting bones as possible. Bend your elbows and spread your palms on the floor beside your head, forearms relatively perpendicular to the floor, fingers pointing toward your shoulders.

Pressing your inner feet actively into the floor, exhale and push your tailbone up toward the pubis, firming (but not hardening) the buttocks, and lift the buttocks off the floor. Keep your thighs and inner feet parallel. Take 2 or 3 breaths. Then firmly press the inner hands into the floor and your shoulder blades against the back and lift up onto the crown of your head. Keep your arms parallel. Take 2 or 3 breaths.

Press your feet and hands into the floor, tailbone and shoulder blades against your back, and with an exhalation, lift your head off the floor and straighten your arms. Turn the upper thighs slightly inward and firm the outer thighs. Narrow the hip points and lengthen the tailbone toward the backs of the knees, lifting the pubis toward the navel.

Turn the upper arms outward but keep the weight on the bases of the index fingers. Spread the shoulder blades across the back and let the head hang, or lift it slightly to look down at the floor.

Stay in the pose anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds or more, breathing easily. Repeat anywhere from 3 to 10 times.

- See more at: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/473#sthash.nFBo1VZY.dpuf[/quote]
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Yep now I feel the need to go try one, too bad I don't have someone to take my pic

Ooh, ooh ....pick me, pick me!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I thought this was just some neat, odd thing me and my friends used to do.. didn't realize it was a 'big thing'.. =p I can't do it now.. I'd have to start stretching and working up to it again.. I was in dance for awhile in middle school... I could do it then!