Toxins

Options

Replies

• julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well i don't speak french but from the diagram it appears to have something to do with cheerleading and a basket toss. and some kind of giant tampon?

cholera-animation-toxin.gif

LMAO!! Funniest response ever.

That is actually a diagram of cholera toxin, the vibrio is the bacteria although it sure resembles a tampon
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So, not having the patience today to read through all the arguing, did anyone actually even propose a specific toxin, by name, which is actually known to be eliminated by any "cleanse" or "detox" technique?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, not having the patience today to read through all the arguing, did anyone actually even propose a specific toxin, by name, which is actually known to be eliminated by any "cleanse" or "detox" technique?

I did not see one.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I did not see one.

Uhuh! Just a lot of bluster about cliques and lackeys and butthurt.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i did.

Lemmiwinks.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    my nanna (97, lived independently until 95) swears by having a sqeeze of lemon juice in boiling water first thing in the morning to wake up the body ready for the day.

That'll be my lemon detox perhaps...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't have read this thread. The amount of misinformation is sad.

Re: microorganisms in the blood

Bacteria in the blood is called bacteremia. The blood is a STERILE environment. There should be no bacteria in the blood. Bacteremia is one of the causes of septic shock (bacteremia --> septicemia --> septic shock). There should also be no candida in the blood. Candida is normally a noninvasive microorganism. Most infections are superficial (vaginal yeast infection, diaper rash, etc). If it invades that means you are immunocompromised (AIDS, transplant patients, etc) and weren't healthy in the first place. Again, candidemia is extremely rare without preexisting risk factors (like a really bad immune system).

Also the blood shouldn't be mildly acidic or mildly basic. The accepted pH range is between 7.35-7.45. Anything more or less than that is cause for concern.

If you are healthy and your organs are functioning correctly. There is no reason for a detox. That's what your liver is for. If you need to detox, you're not healthy.

And that list of toxins? Really? If people are ingesting some of those in large enough amounts, the poison control center should be contacted. Sodium laureth sulfate is a detergent, found in shampoos, dish soap, toothpaste (which you shouldn't be swallowing anyway) etc.

Arsenic is a toxin. So is shigela toxin. And cholera toxin. Oh and so is the toxin from C. botulinum.

Our bodies are smarter than we could ever hope to be. Why don't we let it do what it's supposed to do? It doesn't need our help.

Can you please provide us a pic of a blood sample, google one.

Wow, see this is what puts the lie to your position as someome trying to have an intelligent discussion. What the posters is writing is essentially correct and would be close to my position with some variations.

Blood is not a sterile environment - blood contains a variety of human cells and cannot therefore be considered sterile. It might be aseptic, in that it contains no disease causing micro-organisms. This is really the only major correction I'd make. Blood is generally aseptic under healthy conditions. However, to consider it sterile is a leap in faith - a variety of blood borne vectors exist (from HIV to Hep. to EBV etc.) and can be easily present in an individual of apparent healthy condition. Blood is not considered sterile and is treated as a biohazard due to the disease vectors it might carry. However, the rest of the quote is pretty much what is considered the standard level of knowledge with regards to candida or random poisons cleanses.

I would suggest that if you are going to conisder alternate views you demand rigorous methods; extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. None is being provided.

Now, since shots were fired in this thread I am going to open up a little and perhaps clarify a thing or two. A bit personal so I hope it gets treated with respect.

Of the people posting in this thread, I am willing to bet that I am one of the few currently dealing with candida. My mother is quite ill (terminally so) and also has a minor oral thrush. Even in an immonodepressed person post-chemotherapy, systemic candidemia is pretty rare. And the treatment for thrush (oral or other) is certainly NOT a cleanse but anti-fungals.

So yeah, not only am I amused by the idea of systemic thrush because I am quite evidently NOT seeing that in her blood work but reading some select quotes to my mother - it was amusing for her too. So that makes another biologist (she taught biology for 45 years) considering doubtful the utility of clenses for a systemic conditions that likely does not exist.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's a shame people can't offer their opinions without being shot down in flames.

Rude.

I'm not a scientest/scholar - but when I stay away from as many chemicals/ additives as I can- via environment and food for an extended period of time I feel better, have more energy and clarity.

I think this is what PU is getting at.
    Most of the people on MFP aren't looking for a thesis - it's just a conversation.

^^^^^^THIS

I read through these pages, and sadly, what I see and probably others see as well, is alot of back and forth arguing due to personal dislikes and past history some have with each other due to arguments in other threads, without alot of common sense.

You really don't need to be a biologist or a chemist to know that the world we live in today has much more pollutants, chemicals, or dare I say it, toxins, in the air, water, food, cleansers, etc that we breathe, eat, drink, or use, everyday.

I personally do not think anyone is promoting crazy cleanses where you eat nothing, or other gimmicky things that are aimed at taking people's money.

Yes, I also agree that our bodies are wonderful in that they are equipped to cleanse itself, but due to the daily assault on it, helping the organs along definitely do not hurt it. Our skin, our liver, the lymph nodes, our digestive system, all work harmoniously together.

I don't know where some of you live, but when you drive into New York City area, you can actually see the haze of pollution that hangs over the city. They actually call New Jersey "the armpit" because of its smell. There are rumors that certain fenced off areas are left that way for the local industry to dump their waste there. You drive by these areas, you smell it. Coincidentally, New Jersey also had the highest cancer rate in the nation for many years, but now is 5th in the nation. http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/heartbeats/2010/04/12/cancer-alley-no-more-incidence-declining-in-most-of-new-jersey/

It would be great if there could be some sort of "happy medium" in these discussions, instead of an all or nothing, "I'm right and you're wrong" type of approach. Usually there is some truth in both sides of the issue.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Can you please provide us a pic of a blood sample, google one.

not sure why you want a picture of blood, but here you go:
    blood-sample.jpg
    I loled
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I had 178g of sugar today. Do I need to detox? All this talk about candida in my blood has me scared.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I had 178g of sugar today. Do I need to detox? All this talk about candida in my blood has me scared.

Just drink lots of juice and be sure to do an enema.

It works great when your blood is full of bacteria or viruses, right? So why wouldn't it clear you of fungus too?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Just drink lots of juice and be sure to do an enema.

It works great when your blood is full of bacteria or viruses, right? So why wouldn't it clear you of fungus too?

Does it need to be a coffee enema? I love the kick they gives me ;)
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    No, but, in all seriousness PU as you seem to be the only one who believes detoxing works...

What specific things do you believe you can ingest and remove toxins? What specific products remove specific toxins?

I saw something about a green smoothie, fasting, or consuming 800-1200 calories but you didn't specify which specific items are capable of "detoxing".

Can you clarify? And if so, how do you believe they work?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    It's a shame people can't offer their opinions without being shot down in flames.

Rude.

I'm not a scientest/scholar - but when I stay away from as many chemicals/ additives as I can- via environment and food for an extended period of time I feel better, have more energy and clarity.

I think this is what PU is getting at.
    Most of the people on MFP aren't looking for a thesis - it's just a conversation.

^^^^^^THIS

I read through these pages, and sadly, what I see and probably others see as well, is alot of back and forth arguing due to personal dislikes and past history some have with each other due to arguments in other threads, without alot of common sense.

You really don't need to be a biologist or a chemist to know that the world we live in today has much more pollutants, chemicals, or dare I say it, toxins, in the air, water, food, cleansers, etc that we breathe, eat, drink, or use, everyday.

I personally do not think anyone is promoting crazy cleanses where you eat nothing, or other gimmicky things that are aimed at taking people's money.

Yes, I also agree that our bodies are wonderful in that they are equipped to cleanse itself, but due to the daily assault on it, helping the organs along definitely do not hurt it. Our skin, our liver, the lymph nodes, our digestive system, all work harmoniously together.

I don't know where some of you live, but when you drive into New York City area, you can actually see the haze of pollution that hangs over the city. They actually call New Jersey "the armpit" because of its smell. There are rumors that certain fenced off areas are left that way for the local industry to dump their waste there. You drive by these areas, you smell it. Coincidentally, New Jersey also had the highest cancer rate in the nation for many years, but now is 5th in the nation. http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/heartbeats/2010/04/12/cancer-alley-no-more-incidence-declining-in-most-of-new-jersey/

It would be great if there could be some sort of "happy medium" in these discussions, instead of an all or nothing, "I'm right and you're wrong" type of approach. Usually there is some truth in both sides of the issue.

I would prefer the truth to a happy medium, because a happy medium is intended to satisfy peoples' egos at the expense of an actual understanding of reality. The question still remains, which toxins are removed by what methods? If you are taking in some "toxin" from air pollution or whatever, how does "only eat lemons for a week" have any effect whatsoever on that?

Someone, anyone please name a specific toxin as well as what technique removes it. If not, what is all this hocus pocus supposed to do for anyone? There is nothing beneficial to any human being to just state a random superstition and demand compromise in the form of 'everyone should sorta believe me so I can feel good about myself.'
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and see blood cultures all of the time. Candida and harmful bacteria are not usually present in healthy individuals. Sorry.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Actually, you do. Pollution in the US (and other areas of the developed world) has improved. It still exists and there are still problems, but how much harmful pollution there is (or isn't) can not be determined by "common sense". Historically, it has been much worse than it is today: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/pollution/02history.html This is exactly why evidence matters, not non-expert opinions based on flawed human observations. I mean no disrespect to you, I am simply illustrating my previously made points regarding science and why it is important.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Actually, you do. Pollution in the US (and other areas of the developed world) has improved. It still exists and there are still problems, but how much harmful pollution there is (or isn't) can not be determined by "common sense". Historically, it has been much worse than it is today: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/pollution/02history.html This is exactly why evidence matters, not non-expert opinions based on flawed human observations. I mean no disrespect to you, I am simply illustrating my previously made points regarding science and why it is important.
    If common sense were as powerful as people think it is, the concept of science wouldn't exist nor would it be of any utility to anyone. Science exists and is so incredibly powerful and useful specifically because common sense and human perception are such heavily flawed methods of truth detection.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If common sense were as powerful as people think it is, the concept of science wouldn't exist nor would it be of any utility to anyone. Science exists and is so incredibly powerful and useful specifically because common sense and human perception are such heavily flawed methods of truth detection.

Precisely.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

billsuperfan.gif
  • daisydog77
    Options
    Was all over the news a couple weeks ago how our kids will be the first generation in decades NOT to live as long as their parents.