Can you live without pets, kids or relationships?

Options
Game8
Game8 Posts: 442
Just chilling by yourself without feeling lonely or lacking anything? Without possessing anyone or being possessed.. just being happy with being alive and doing the things you like without needing anything else :smile:

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but I'm sure some people are up for that. It's certainly not the norm.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You know this is how they torture people, right? :huh:
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yes. I live that way now. (I am going to interpret relationships as romantic ones, not platonic or familial ones). Except for the dog and Sid Fishous. I am attached to them.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    They all give me the jolt I need in life! :love:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    No way. Humans are social creatures. Relationships are essential for our survival as a species and for our culture/society.
  • Game8
    Options
    You can enjoy being with someone as long as it lasts without being possessive or turning it into a "relationship"

I really hate that word. It makes me cringe.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    for right now.

no
    yes.. not ready for kids
    I'm single so I suppose so but i'm much happier in a relationship.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I don't have pets or kids. My only relationships are non-romantic, like with my parents.

I consider myself happy. So, yes, I think I can.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Have done and been fine. Even now that I'm engaged I prefer being alone most of the time
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Life is what you make of it !! So make the best of it whatever way you'd like!! :)
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hypothetically, probably.

Realistically I have kids so I would never want to not have them.

I haven't been in a "relationship" for over 10 years and I'd say about 90% of the time I'm quite happy not having the complication of a second half.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No. I love having my kids around and I love my pets as well as my relationships with my family and friends. I think being 100% alone would be boring. It would probably make most people insane to be 100% alone with nothing or nobody else.
  • Game8
    Options
    Pets? Don't need them.

Relationships? Meh. It's over rated. No one I know is actually happy. It's like more of a manufactured happiness/tolerance.

Kids? Theoretically, I could live without them. However, I have 3 of them. So, it's impossible to know for sure.

I often think the ideal situation for my is to move far away up into the hills alone. I just really enjoy solitude more than normal people. I know people that can't even stay alone on their house for an afternoon without trying to find someone to play with. That is just so odd to me.

I like your ideal situation.. I agree that most people are way too dependent. This is why I wanna be a pilot. I get to work for 6 months flying around the world, and then I take a few months break where I can relax and be with someone for a little while, then I'm off again on my own :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Kids -Before I had my babies I certainly thought I could but now I couldn't
    Relationships - I am better in one but I don't mind alone
    Pets - Hubby is allergic so kitty had to go live with the ex husband so I guess that answers that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Live without pets - no!!! *crazy cat lady*
    Relationships? - No! *co-dependant crazy cat lady*
    Kids - hell yeah. Not a fan of rugrats. I refuse to give up drinking for 7 months, for a start.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Just chilling by yourself without feeling lonely or lacking anything? Without possessing anyone or being possessed.. just being happy with being alive and doing the things you like without needing anything else :smile:

Yes I do. But that would require a certain degree of spiritual maturity.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

The only person who can make you happy is yourself. No one else nor anything else can make you happy.
    That is not to say that relationships, children and pets don't have their benefits - they do and they are writ large.
    However, happiness comes from within and is ultimately, your responsibility.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Have done and been fine. Even now that I'm engaged I prefer being alone most of the time
    ^ this, except subsitute the word "married" for "engaged".
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Abso****inglutely