Can you live without pets, kids or relationships?

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    No man is an island.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Wow, this describes the happiest time of my life! From the time my first wife and i separated. Unfortunately I got married again, had kids, pets, a mortgage and I haven't really been happy since. :sad:

The answer to your question is "Yes"
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I don't have kids, pets or a relationship and I'm living just fine!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty independent person and get more energy from solitude than groups. However, as someone whose dog of 9 years died 1 week ago, I can say that I dearly miss her. I'm not in a relationship at the moment and I'm quite good with that. But the unconditional love from a pet is something I want to always have in my life.

I'm more or less the same tho i do crave others just being there i'm not comfortable approaching others usually, tho if someone involves me then i'll take the bait, and i feel for you i lost my 2x12yr old dogs about a year ago and they were most of my reason for living. and definately the willpower to get out there and exercise

so no it's hard living without pets, we currently have stray cats til we get another dog again soon, had to grieve and had a niece and nephew to think about that are here often didn't want to introduce a new dog just yet cause the kids can be a handfull.

Not being in a relationship otherwise, i've survived for 40yrs so it's second nature, i can do what i want when i want and noone has to depend on me and vice versa.

and the rest of my social interactions are online, at work and family gatherings.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Before i had my 1st child or my dog could have because i didnt know any different but now i have them couldn't imagine being without them. Romantic relationships though i can take it or leave it. Am happy enough single... Dont tell the other half though.xx
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Since I have no kids, I could live without them. Couldn't live without my fur-babies nor my fiance.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure interpersonal relationships are classified as a basic human need. Living without pets, kids, or a spouse is possible, but without any interpersonal relationships, a person's mental health would be severely at risk.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, though i just recently bought a pet. But before him I was fine on my own.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Relationships are paramount. My relationships with my girlfriends feeds me. My relationship with my husband of twenty three years grounds me. Fleeting relationships with people who come into my life teach me. I need role models to help shape personal goals. Touch is necessary physically and emotionally. My relationship with my dog brings me added joy. My relationships with people on mfp, motivates me to be better, gives me laughs and relieves tension. In most jobs I would say relationship is key. Relationships are therapeutic. Humanistic counseling principles are the framework for any helping profession. In business, relationship (ie. trust, comfort etc.) can make or break a deal.

Anyway, in my opinion, human beings do need relationships and the skills to be in relationships to thrive.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I could live without pets. But my fiance keeps me sane and in check, he lets me know if I'm getting off track and sometimes I don't even notice it myself. And my kids are my life, I'm doing this whole getting healthy thing for them because I want to be around and be able to keep up.
  • kazz1976
    kazz1976 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids so don't know what I'm missing there yet,
    most times I want to bury my husband under the patio so yes
    to that, but no couldn't live without my dogs :wink:
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i have no pets, nor kids or relationships.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I'm pretty sure interpersonal relationships are classified as a basic human need. Living without pets, kids, or a spouse is possible, but without any interpersonal relationships, a person's mental health would be severely at risk.

I think it depends what you mean by interpersonal relationships. As I said above, I lived (for 5 years) without the things mentioned in the question and was at my happiest. I like my own company and the selfish satisfaction of doing what I want, living without compromise. That's not to say I didn't have good friends during this period because I did, and a number of short term 'romantic' attachments. I find life since marriage, kids, et al, just a series of compromises, yes there are some benefits, and would I change it now? No of course not, I love my family and my dogs. But I recognise I was happier without all the baggage.
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have kids but none live with me, so yes I can live without them (but not forever). I could easily live without pets and I am quite happy without being with someone. In fact my guy spent a lot of time convincing me I would be as happy in a relationship. And he's been right so far. :)

But I quite like my own company.
  • roiLEI1554
    roiLEI1554 Posts: 143
    Options
    sometimes, yes! it's sometimes in that good feeling i get when i take a walk in the park alone :smile:

but...relationships are hard to give up long-term (no pets and, uh, no kids yet). i'm a bit of a cuddler haha
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have a friend like this actually, but personally, I couldn't do it. I like having my pet, being single it's nice to have somebody at the door when I get home. Kids I'd be perfectly content without....but only for a while, eventually I know I want to have them, just not any time soon. Relationships are a touchy subject for me, sometimes I want them, sometimes I don't. But I do know that in the end I want one.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes and Yes.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Gotta have my dogs.

Relationships and kids I could take or leave.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Nope. I get too lonely and don't always enjoy my own company. I need friends and family...and my cat!

Kids I can live without for now though, lol.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I could for a couple days but not forever