Can you live without pets, kids or relationships?

Options

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Yes I do. But that would require a certain degree of spiritual maturity.

I agree that it takes a special type of person. Maturity is key. We're born and raised depending on other people, but not everyone grows out of it.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Love that Velvety One
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Kids: I have two daughters and can't imagine my life without them
    Pets: four dogs; they're just as important as the daughters (and some days more)
    Relationships: Ended a 20+ year marriage 3 years ago. Haven't been this happy since I was single before him and have no plans to change the situation.

I think life is what you make of it and some people just aren't meant to be with pets, kids, partner, whatever the case may be. As long as you're happy screw what everybody else thinks :tongue:
  • nichelle02
    Options
    I'm a pretty independent person and get more energy from solitude than groups. However, as someone whose dog of 9 years died 1 week ago, I can say that I dearly miss her. I'm not in a relationship at the moment and I'm quite good with that. But the unconditional love from a pet is something I want to always have in my life.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a small group of friends, most of whom don't live near me. I am asexual and aromantic. Also firmly childfree. I love pets but I can easily live without the stress and expense, as I am right now. (Cat gifs work for now. XD)

So I'd say yes, for the most part (because I really love my friends). I say this a lot, but it makes me sad how many people apparently require other people to 'complete them'.

I am a whole person. I complete myself. And I don't think I should be ashamed of enjoying my own company or having few friends. There's an exhilarating freedom in taking oneself out for a day of me-time. :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Relationships? Meh. It's over rated. No one I know is actually happy. It's like more of a manufactured happiness/tolerance...

Seriously? That's REALLY sad. I mean it's cool if you don't do well in relationships. They're not for everyone. In fact, there are personality types that really shouldn't partner up. But are you sure you're not just projecting your negative attitude on others? I mean, I know some people in crappy relationships, lots in mediocre ones, and many in awesome ones.

My spouse is my best buddy and every year it just seems to get better and better. Am I just lucky? Have I manufactured a pseudo happiness? Or did I just choose wisely and nurture my relationship? Maybe a little bit of each. It's all good and it's a great life for us. I wouldn't have it any other way.

More power to those who don't want relationships, but don't make the mistake of thinking good relationships are just fantasy. :flowerforyou:
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Seriously? That's REALLY sad. I mean it's cool if you don't do well in relationships. They're not for everyone. In fact, there are personality types that really shouldn't partner up. But are you sure you're not just projecting your negative attitude on others? I mean, I know some people in crappy relationships, lots in mediocre ones, and many in awesome ones.

My spouse is my best buddy and every year it just seems to get better and better. Am I just lucky? Have I manufactured a pseudo happiness? Or did I just choose wisely and nurture my relationship? Maybe a little bit of each. It's all good and it's a great life for us. I wouldn't have it any other way.

More power to those who don't want relationships, but don't make the mistake of thinking good relationships are just fantasy. :flowerforyou:

I'm all for being in love with someone, but I think to be in a secure, cozy relationship and be in love at the same time seems like a fantasy. And people know that the fantasy will disappear sooner or later, so before it disappears settle down, before it disappears do something so it becomes harder to separate. That seems to be the whole point of the drama we call "relationships", it is manufactured happiness. Otherwise people wouldn't be in relationships, they would just be in love and that's enough.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Pets. I love animals but I find human relationships and children way more rewarding over all.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Before being married and having children...yes. I liked being alone. I actually thought I'd be one of those people who never got married or have children.
    But I did accidentally fall in love, got married, and now have a family. Knowing what it's like to have these relationships, I would no longer be happy if I found myself alone. (I mean permanently alone. I do still love to have some time to myself. I'm just more than ready to see my family again after a little time away.)
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If anything ever happened to my son, I would literally fall over and die of a broken heart. I can't live without him.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I'm all for being in love with someone, but I think to be in a secure, cozy relationship and be in love at the same time seems like a fantasy. And people know that the fantasy will disappear sooner or later, so before it disappears settle down, before it disappears do something so it becomes harder to separate. That seems to be the whole point of the drama we call "relationships", it is manufactured happiness. Otherwise people wouldn't be in relationships, they would just be in love and that's enough.
    No, you really can be in a secure, cozy relationship and be in love at the same time. You just have to be willing to work for it. It's very similar to fitness...you won't get the body you want by sitting around on your butt eating junk food. You have to nurture your body with good nutrition and put in hard work and sweat to have the body you want. When it's hard, you don't give up; you keep on going and push through. And so it is with a long term relationship. Too many people quit when they "fall out of love" and they go looking for it somewhere else, only to repeat the same process. When you lose those feelings of attraction and of "being in love" and you stay with your mate anyway...that is what real love is about. Commitment. If you work for it, you can eventually "fall back in love" and have all those wonderful feelings of attraction again. And be cozy at the same time.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Pets: Never, I love my dogs
    Relationship: Yes, kind of, my fiance is deployed and he has never been home for more than 3 months so it's like I'm single anyway.
    Kids: Never had anyway so I can live without them.

You sound jaded.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just chilling by yourself without feeling lonely or lacking anything? Without possessing anyone or being possessed.. just being happy with being alive and doing the things you like without needing anything else :smile:
    I have dogs and they are my best friends :). We keep each other company. I have a teenage child who moved in with his dad a few years ago (sob, sob). I see him weekly, but couldn't live without him. I am a "kid person" I could never have even functioned without having a child and feel like I should have had more, but I feel I am too old now. As far a relationship, I hate them. I have tried them and I'm done. I haven't even dated in 6 years. I've never been happier. I do it MY WAY! No one hurts me, makes fun of me, hits me, tells me what to do and what not to do. No one makes me feel sad as I lay in bed alone wonder where he is at 2am and why he isn't home with me. NO one makes me feel unsafe, leaves me stranded, etc. No one calls me fat and tells me I don't know how to dress. No one asks why I "am not as hot as my friends". (that was therapeutic to get it all out and remember my nightmares of past relationships). And when I get lonely I go out. I come home when I want and if I want. I am very, very happy!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

No, you really can be in a secure, cozy relationship and be in love at the same time. You just have to be willing to work for it. It's very similar to fitness...you won't get the body you want by sitting around on your butt eating junk food. You have to nurture your body with good nutrition and put in hard work and sweat to have the body you want. When it's hard, you don't give up; you keep on going and push through. And so it is with a long term relationship. Too many people quit when they "fall out of love" and they go looking for it somewhere else, only to repeat the same process. When you lose those feelings of attraction and of "being in love" and you stay with your mate anyway...that is what real love is about. Commitment. If you work for it, you can eventually "fall back in love" and have all those wonderful feelings of attraction again. And be cozy at the same time.
    WOW! Well said!
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    No one hurts me, makes fun of me, abuses me, tells me what to do and what not to do. NO one biotches at me for a messy house of feeling sick, etc. No one calls me fat and tells me I don't know how to dress.

Wow, what type of PoS were you with?
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    No one hurts me, makes fun of me, abuses me, tells me what to do and what not to do. NO one biotches at me for a messy house of feeling sick, etc. No one calls me fat and tells me I don't know how to dress.

Wow, what type of PoS were you with?
    My ex husband and my ex fiance. I can't go through that again.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My happiness with my life is not dependent upon others, so my answer to the question is yes. I love kids and get along with them quite well. Would like to get a dog once I have room for one, but I'm just fine without one.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Kids i could do without mu husband and dog never
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nope! I will flat out admit it and not pretend to be in denial! I am a social person and would probably go crazy without human relationships and my bestest bud Buster ( my pup )
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my relationship. I don't have pets or kids so meh....