From fat to fit

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    A huge congrats on the life style change and accomplishments. I know your family and friends are so proud. Thank you for posting and inpsiring. Keep it up!
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    You. Are. Awesome.
  • NanahcubJess
    NanahcubJess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing and inspirational! As someone who is just beginning, your battle and success makes me that much more excited to challenge myself. Congratulations on your accomplishments!
  • cjustine1
    cjustine1 Posts: 15
    Options
    amazing job! Well done:)
  • RNmomto3
    RNmomto3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! You look great, so much younger now!
  • long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    On becoming a runner.... just a little follow-up from my post-marathon reflections..

Late in 2012, I made a decision to become a runner (again).

Running had been something I enjoyed and excelled at, especially increasing my distance quickly, all those years ago. I'm not entirely sure what sparked this recent desire to such a great extent, but the desire has been pervasive over the years. I used to run with my best friend, Mike, a fair bit when we lived in Memphis. I have pretty fond memories of running with him, around the Memphis area, and with Winston, our dog of 12+ years. I injured my foot at one point and simply stopped. Reflecting on those runs, injuries, etc all those years ago, quitting really impacted my life over the previous 15+ years.

Formality has never been something that I have sought or to which I have adhered. I see lots of people with a training plan in mind (C25K, "so and so's" training plan, etc etc). My plan was pretty simple. It was to run better, faster, farther without a plan. I liken it to Seinfeld - a show about nothing. In addition to the lack of a plan, I just let my body and desire to run flow through me. On any given day, I may want to run farther than I ever had before. The only requirement was a place to run, the desire to run, and some decent running shoes.

Where/what did my lack of a plan or formal training get me?

After a brief period of six-weeks of running, I could run a half-marathon. I was pretty stoked by this.

I took the plunge and registered for the Knoxville Marathon, and on April 7th, 2013, I ran that marathon. I had never run any other race in my life. Many people (myself included) find going from nothing to marathon pretty shocking.

Running a marathon was something I never was really serious about accomplishing or that I ever thought that I could/would accomplish. Many emotions, now, get all wrapped up in that one defining moment. From the self-retrospect regarding being over-weight, to hearing my family cheering me on at the finish, and all of the sweat and tears in-between, I still have to pinch myself at times to realize that it's real. Leading up to the race and beyond, hearing my wife, Marguerite, tell me how proud she was meant a great deal to me. Having my family at the finish line and at a few other spots inspired me.

On race day, I wasn't stressed out or nervous at all. To the contrary, I was excited and happy. As I mentioned, I enjoy running. My lack-of-a-plan training had lead me on runs equal to or exceeding marathon distances in a short 5-month period. While I wasn't stressed. I did want to beat my previous times and do well compared to my peers and other runners that I know. Call it vanity, pride, being competitive, or whatever you want.

Marathons are hard. The Knoxville Marathon is REALLY hard.

That is what many experienced runners told me after the race. Thanks guys - maybe BEFORE the race would be good next time? :-) The Knoxville Marathon was probably not the ideal marathon for a first-timer like me. But, I'm stubborn and refused to let the hills beat me.

For the first 14-18 miles of the race, I felt great. The weather, the cheers from the volunteers, the atmosphere, and just being were compelling. They beckoned to me to finish the race and do my thing. After I looked at the post-race photos, I can even see it in my face. I was enjoying myself. From miles 18 and on, though, fatigue, injury, and generally wanting to quit started to set in.

"He knows not his own strength who hath not met adversity."

Those words rang true for me. My legs were tired, my feet hurt, especially, quite badly, and I was ready to be done. My mind started to screw with me. There was a monkey on my back, though. I still had those expectations I had placed upon myself to live up to. The race turned into a grind at that point. But, you know, I'm from Memphis. Heart. Grit. Grind.

I pressed forward. I ignored my fatigue and pain as well as I could. Honestly, I felt worse after mile 22 than I had on any previous run. Even on other 22+ mile runs I had completed, I didn't feel this bad. I wasn't sure why this was the case, but I tried not to focus on it. As it turns out, I had a stress fracture in my foot which explained the pain I was feeling. Four weeks after the marathon, my foot was still in pain. But, injuries heal and life goes on.

Finishing the marathon was pretty awesome. The memories will endure and the feeling of accomplishment will stay with me.

Where to does one go from here? I will test myself further and run a few more marathons this year. In the mean time, though, I ran some 5k's and will probably run a few other shorter-distance runs. Shorter distance runs are interesting in that they are more about speed than distance.

Over the past weekend, I ran the School for the Deaf's Run for the Deaf 5k 2013 and placed 3rd in my age group. I won a medal and that was simply awesome. Winning stuff is pretty cool and can be very inspiring. Having the possibility of winning something is also not something I went into the Knoxville Marathon contemplating.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're an inspiration, man. Congratulations on your efforts.
  • long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok - last share, and I'll stop bumping this thread... promise! :-)

One last before/after picture .. the picture on the left is from June of last year right after I got badly sun-burned. It's affectionately referred to as the 'lobster' picture. Since my wife had reposted it (jokingly) on Facebook, someone requested an after shot. I was happy to oblige.. :-)

Untitled.png
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are, people like you motivate me to keep going and never stop
  • jedgarner11
    jedgarner11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    great job, see you at the finish line!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!