This is what junk food does to your body.

Options
124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    First off, in your example of chicken from McDonalds as opposed to chicken prepared at home, it is more about what potential for what isn't in the homemade meal, than what is. It's not so much that the chicken itself has *more nutrition*. It's that it can more likely not contain undesirable ingredients.

...if you grill your chicken at home, you can have used organically raised, free range chicken, rather than commercially raised chicken. Chickens that are commercially raised are fed grains that contain antibiotics and steroids to promote growth.
    Some are even given an arsenic-containing compound, roxarsone, to control parasites. Ugh!

Also, if I were to grill my own chicken at home, it would not include the bun or the sauce. It would more likely be accompanied by an awesome salad made with veggies from my garden, or at least as fresh ingredients as I can get at the market, in the winter. Or, it might include a heap lightly sauteed asparagus. Yum! Really, I can think of a million ways to have a much healthier and more luxurious chicken meal than to get a chicken sandwich at McDonalds. I realize that is my opinion, but this is a forum for opinions.

My theory is, do whatever works for you. If it isn't working, try something different. Eating junky foods does not work for me and I'm probably not the only one here that has found that to be true.

Ok, but who does this? I mean, who besides you and a few folks on MFP does this? Seriously....do you have to go to special stores to find chicken with a huge label of "free of this, that, and the other thing," and doesn't it cost like 2-3 times the price of normal chicken?

To me, the difference between McDonald's and cooking at home is the cost. Why spend $4 on McD's when you can grill it at home yourself for $1? But you are talking about all these issues that have nothing to do with nutrition at all. Also, it isn't a sandwich without the bun. That part is just crazy. :laugh:

:bigsmile:

You could hit KFC and get a Double Down, which is absolutely amazing. I get them every now and then.

rsz_doubledown.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First off, in your example of chicken from McDonalds as opposed to chicken prepared at home, it is more about what potential for what isn't in the homemade meal, than what is. It's not so much that the chicken itself has *more nutrition*. It's that it can more likely not contain undesirable ingredients.

...if you grill your chicken at home, you can have used organically raised, free range chicken, rather than commercially raised chicken. Chickens that are commercially raised are fed grains that contain antibiotics and steroids to promote growth.
    Some are even given an arsenic-containing compound, roxarsone, to control parasites. Ugh!

Also, if I were to grill my own chicken at home, it would not include the bun or the sauce. It would more likely be accompanied by an awesome salad made with veggies from my garden, or at least as fresh ingredients as I can get at the market, in the winter. Or, it might include a heap lightly sauteed asparagus. Yum! Really, I can think of a million ways to have a much healthier and more luxurious chicken meal than to get a chicken sandwich at McDonalds. I realize that is my opinion, but this is a forum for opinions.

My theory is, do whatever works for you. If it isn't working, try something different. Eating junky foods does not work for me and I'm probably not the only one here that has found that to be true.

Ok, but who does this? I mean, who besides you and a few folks on MFP does this? Seriously....do you have to go to special stores to find chicken with a huge label of "free of this, that, and the other thing," and doesn't it cost like 2-3 times the price of normal chicken?

To me, the difference between McDonald's and cooking at home is the cost. Why spend $4 on McD's when you can grill it at home yourself for $1? But you are talking about all these issues that have nothing to do with nutrition at all. Also, it isn't a sandwich without the bun. That part is just crazy. :laugh:

You could hit KFC and get a Double Down, which is absolutely amazing. I get them every now and then.

rsz_doubledown.jpg

^ Anyone know the macros on that by chance? I hear they're apparently pretty easy to fit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

rsz_doubledown.jpg

^ Anyone know the macros on that by chance? I hear they're apparently pretty easy to fit.

610 calories, 53g protein.

Fills you up like you wouldn't believe.

There's a grilled version that's around 400 calories, 60g protein, but most KFCs don't carry it.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If your stats are better, I can't see how your diet is THAT bad for you. I eat out alot, but try for healthier options. One of my concerns is the outrageous sodium content when I don't eat at home. I do agree that the progress may be even more improved if I was a cleaner eater. I'm making one change at a time so I'm more apt to stick with it. Keep up the good work. BTW sorry I missed the pictures!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

rsz_doubledown.jpg

610 calories, 53g protein.

Fills you up like you wouldn't believe.

There's a grilled version that's around 400 calories, 60g protein, but most KFCs don't carry it.

KFC is much better than McD's, IMHO.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I equate McDonalds to the non-food, "Meals TM" that Terry Pratchett writes about in "Good Omens". I'm quite sure it is not a diet that is conducive to living a long, vibrant life.

I keep thinking about this when people post about non-food. I always equate it with healthy choice since I believe in addition to restaurants they were releasing frozen foods as well in Good Omens.

That said, I don't mind a little crap now and then, but not all day every day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!