Any success stories using the TDEE-20% (15%) method?

Options
shst07
shst07 Posts: 61 Member
Hi.

I'm just starting to do this and was wondering if people could share their success stories with me. Did you start using MFP settings and then start doing this instead and are having good results with it? And do you do resistance training?

Thanks.

Replies

• lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    great question-- I know there are a lot out there so can't wait to read about it.
  • heidi555
    heidi555 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just started a couple weeks ago and am having success :) you should check out the em2wl group here there are many great stories there and helpful people good luck to u
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did TDEE-20% on and off around the holidays, and finally buckled down in the last few weeks and have lost great each time I did it. Usually works out to about 1-2lbs/week on average, I think. And I love that it doesn't feel restrictive, at all. I can easily see myself keeping these habits the rest of my life, which is really the most important thing. I've been lifting heavy M/W/F and running T/Th/Sa, and I think joining the gym has really helped me step up my game.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I started in January 2012. I was at around TDEE - 30%. I found myself pretty hungry most of the time and not really satisfied and prone to binges. I increased my calories to hit around TDEE - 20% organically, without knowing what that value was. I've met my goals.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    15%! YES
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same thing. I've started doing this the past couple of weeks. I've found my bmr as 1600 and my TDEE at 2300 and did a 20% deficit, so I try to eat no less than 1850 cal. I've been doing insanity and I've definitely noticed that I'm getting stronger. I'm going to weigh myself after I'm done with the first month which is in a week, so we'll see if I've lost weight. I'm also going to measure too. I have noticed on the day after I eat between 1850-2000 cal I feel like I do way better in my workouts than in the days I get between 1600-1800 cal, so I do feel like its a healthy way to eat.

Anyways it will be interesting to see other people's stories.
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i have been doing pretty well, slowly and that is the way to do it!
    Lost 13kg so far in 6 months but plateaued for 4 weeks, then gained last week!
    This was despite doing everything correctly, so a MFP advised me to do TDEE -20%, INCREASING my calorie intake and viola, I lost:bigsmile:
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For me, it's nearly an identical number. MFP set my calories at 1200 and my TDEE -20% is 1223. I've been told I should eat more to lose weight but what do you do when even the TDEE is set this low? Had my calories figured another way on Lifestrong and it came out even less than 1223 so I think for me that is pretty much what my calorie intake should be...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I only started December 11, and I got a little side tracked with the holidays. But, started taking progress pics once a month in January. I also started stronglifts in January. I'm currently eating at TDEE-25%

Februarycomparisonfront_small_zps0e5085fc.jpg
    Februarycomparisonside_small_zpsc3788a95.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I started out with MFP setting and lost a couple of pounds. Then I went to a trainer who did who own calculations (basically TDEE -20%). She Gave me a meal plan too and i followed her but kept logging. I basically came out at the same place.
    After I came off her plan I did MFP and still am but I know my TDEE number. I am pretty much always in the same spot regardless of how I figure it. A few days I might be a little high or a little low but I average the same.
    So long as you use the right numbers and goals you will end up on the same spot. It's merely a preference of eating more on some days you workout out more or the same evey day.
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm subbing this as I am now increasing my cals, and I'm interested in how this works.
  • mommamellymac
    mommamellymac Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a question!

If my TDEE is 2276 and MFP is telling me to eat 1620, how much % is that? I'm having trouble figuring it out.
    I think 20% is 1820 and it is advised not go to more than 20%.... since I'm breastfeeding, with the extra calories (300 for 6mo+) I'm bumped up to 1920....so is that fine then? should I just leave it as is? Or should I eat 1820 and THEN add the extra 300?

If someone could message me that would be great...
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yes...and no. I am not active every day, so for me my TDEE varies quite a bit. So some days I would have been eating too much, and some days not enough. However, I have started eating 20% less than my total daily burn. Since I work out at night, this means I end up eating 1200-1460 (1460 is my MFP suggested intake) by dinner, and then I eat back any additional exercise calories.

From what I can tell, the big difference between MFP calories + exercise calories and TDEE-20% is that the TDEE takes into account your regular activity calories AND exercise. Since I can burn between 200-400 calories extra in my daily life, that can be a big difference than if I just ate the 1460+ exercise calories.

If you have the same activity level every day, I think the TDEE system is great. If you don't, I would wear some sort of activity tracker (I use Fitbit) that will sync with MFP to tell you how many calories you are actually burning (Total Daily Expenditure)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have a question!

If my TDEE is 2276 and MFP is telling me to eat 1620, how much % is that? I'm having trouble figuring it out.
    I think 20% is 1820 and it is advised not go to more than 20%.... since I'm breastfeeding, with the extra calories (300 for 6mo+) I'm bumped up to 1920....so is that fine then? should I just leave it as is? Or should I eat 1820 and THEN add the extra 300?

20% of the 2276 would be 455. So, you should subtract 455 from 2276 and eat that...1821. Or, 1620+ exercise. MFP wants you to add in exercise and then eat those calories back.

I think breast feeding counts as exercise calories, so I believe it would be 1620+ exercise+breast feeding or 1820+ breast feeding...unless you figured you TDEE with the breast feeding.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm new. Can some tell me what this means TDEE-%(15%).
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Me! I lost 35 pounds doing the (insane) 1200 MFP way.....then at "maintenance " started gaining! No wonder since my TDEE is 1700.

Now, I do TDEE minus 10% since it is really only a 5 pound range I play with. And, I say play because a lot or most could be water weight.

:bigsmile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a question!

1. MFP assumes you will log exercise calories and consume the extra
    2. MFP assumes you will log breast feeding (found under yor food log will give you a minus value depending on what you choose).

I don't know who advised you and will not speak over a professional. But if you are going by calculators alone, I haven't seen a TDEE one that includes breast feeding so I would go with the 1820 (for what you need normally with a 20 % deficit) plus the -300 for breast feeding which brings you up to 2120.
  • sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a question!

Right now you're looking at a 28-29% deduction from your TDEE with 1620.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    im slightly confused, my road map thingy was 1800 cal per day to lose weight i think that was -20% i did not eat back my exercise calories so i was averaging 1300 cal net a day. Now im MFP its set at 1600 cal a day and i eat back my calories and net 1600cal or over so why would the road map one be like this i eat less on this one then i do on MFP. maybe i did it wrong
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    Bump for later.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!