Any success stories using the TDEE-20% (15%) method?

Options

Replies

• jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been doing TDEE -20% for one month (tomorrow) and have lost 4.8 lbs. I have a desk job and always thought I was sedentary but forced myself to use the lightly active TDEE based on all the research I did saying very few people are truly sedentary. Less than 2 weeks ago I bought a Fitbit and guess what, my lightly active calculation has been DEAD ON and maybe even a tad low.

I strive to eat around 1900-2050 each day. I walk for an hour at work each day (slowly, while working). I hit the gym 2x/week and do 30-40 minutes on the bike and then lift heavy. On gym days I find myself eating 100-150 more calories, but I don't let it bother me since I'm burning a ton more those two days. I also do Yoga once a week.

Nothing about eating 1200-1300 calories a day felt right to me, so even when I started this I'd eat closer to 1600. I was thrilled to find out 2000 was a better number for me. Even at my goal weight, maintenance will be around 2200/day.

I am eating now to train myself for how I need to eat for the rest of my life.

This is awesome news! When you switched to TDEE-20% a month ago, did you jump right to that number or did you increase gradually?
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This is awesome news! When you switched to TDEE-20% a month ago, did you jump right to that number or did you increase gradually?

I went back and reviewed what I logged for my Feb diary since I was using MFP recommendations (1600) plus eating back my exercise calories. In Feb I was averaging more like 1950/day with the exercise cals, so I jumped right into TDEE-20% since it wasn't that huge of a jump for me (100 cals).

Personally if I was going from 1600 to 2000 I'd do it gradually, maybe over the course of a week or two.

I found that if you are using MFP recommendations and eat your exercise calories back (and aren't counting everyday things like cleaning your house), you'll end up with very similar numbers to TDEE -20%. I prefer to eat about the same amount each day, instead of going up and down based on exercise. And for some reason eating the exercise calories back made me feel guilty in some odd way. It's really whatever works for your brain!
  • jenf330
    Options

I went back and reviewed what I logged for my Feb diary since I was using MFP recommendations (1600) plus eating back my exercise calories. In Feb I was averaging more like 1950/day with the exercise cals, so I jumped right into TDEE-20% since it wasn't that huge of a jump for me (100 cals).

Personally if I was going from 1600 to 2000 I'd do it gradually, maybe over the course of a week or two.

I found that if you are using MFP recommendations and eat your exercise calories back (and aren't counting everyday things like cleaning your house), you'll end up with very similar numbers to TDEE -20%. I prefer to eat about the same amount each day, instead of going up and down based on exercise. And for some reason eating the exercise calories back made me feel guilty in some odd way. It's really whatever works for your brain!

Thank you! I didn't realize I was being so extreme before. I was eating ~1200 (my TDEE-20% is 1800) and NOT eating back any exercise calories, while working out 6 days a week. Of course I didn't do myself any favors because I kept losing and gaining the same 3 pounds. I'm going to try increasing gradually because that makes more sense to me :) I appreciate you sharing your experience!!
  • carenjd
    carenjd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely terrifying. Pretty sure I've been starving myself though.

So let me see if I have this right.

I am 5"4, 250-252 lbs (weight fluctuates) and I consider myself moderately active NOW. In the past I was completely sedentary. I do zumba for 45 minutes for 4-5x per week, and began doing Yoga 3x per week. This would be considered moderately active yes? The rest of the time I'm a stay at home mom, and go on walks with my 21 month old son, but let's face it, we go at a snail's pace.

Going of MFP I was eating the 1300 - 1450 cals to lose 2lbs per week - but no weight loss and I'm sweating my butt off during my exercises like I've never worked out before - even when I was a teenager. No weight loss.

So, according to the TDEE Calculator my calories in a day needed are 2962 - 20% = 2370.

Thats a TON of calories! But during the days I workout, according to the zumba calories calculator and MFP, I burn almost 1000 calories on the days I work out, which as I previously mentioned are 4-5x a week.

Does this sound correct?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely terrifying. Pretty sure I've been starving myself though.

So let me see if I have this right.

I am 5"4, 250-252 lbs (weight fluctuates) and I consider myself moderately active NOW. In the past I was completely sedentary. I do zumba for 45 minutes for 4-5x per week, and began doing Yoga 3x per week. This would be considered moderately active yes? The rest of the time I'm a stay at home mom, and go on walks with my 21 month old son, but let's face it, we go at a snail's pace.

Going of MFP I was eating the 1300 - 1450 cals to lose 2lbs per week - but no weight loss and I'm sweating my butt off during my exercises like I've never worked out before - even when I was a teenager. No weight loss.

So, according to the TDEE Calculator my calories in a day needed are 2962 - 20% = 2370.

Thats a TON of calories! But during the days I workout, according to the zumba calories calculator and MFP, I burn almost 1000 calories on the days I work out, which as I previously mentioned are 4-5x a week.

Does this sound correct?

Yes.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    So if you're using the TDEE method, you shouldn't log your exercise?

I'm using the TDEE but then logging (and eating back) my exercise calories as well. I know it's not exactly how it's designed to be used but it seems to be working ok so far (it's only been 2 weeks since I changed this). I figure that if I build enough movement into my every day life then I can afford to log the actual exercise.

Every body is different, I think the best thing to do is experiment and figure out what works for you. For me I enjoy the motivation of knowing I can eat back my exercise calories.

Yea i ate back my exercise calories today and feel fine. I'm pretty good at listening to my body and knowing when to eat, when not to eat so I definitely don't feel like I was overdoing it. You're right though - I need to figure out what works for me.
    I dont eat back my exercise cals but if im hungry and I know I did a hard workout then I will eat something. That has worked for me so far. Usually with doing that, Im still under my TDEE so It is ok.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    I didn't know what TDEE was until I started reading the forum.
    I STILL don't know what mine is.
    Never bothered to calculate it.
    I just used MFP's numbers.
    Why complicate things?
    Because most women end up with MFP setting them at 1200 and that is not enough. TDEE gives you a range of what to stay under and what to eat over...staying in between is the key.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    Have been on MFP for a few years and am at a stand still with my weight loss. I was always trying to match MFP's goals of 1200 calories + exercise calories but was always still hungry and making bad choices at the end of the day. Read about TDEE-20% a week ago and decided to give it a shot. Haven't seen the scale move (up or down which is good for me lol) but it's only been a week so we'll see what happens. I've already noticed progress at the gym. Made it 4x last week and wasn't totally burnt out by the end of the week.

Can't wait to start heavy lifting, right now I'm just doing light weights and lots of HIIT workouts. I have sciatica so I need to get some of the pounds off and strengthen my core before I start trying to lift heavy again. Tried a month or so ago and hurt my back again so hopefully this method will help.
    Make sure you give it time..sometimes it can take up to a month.
  • tracywaz
    tracywaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread. I'm eating at the recommended MFP levels and have been doing great so far (lost 16 prior to starting MFP). I am getting to a point where I'll probably stall, as I'm very close to goal. Will probably give the TDEE-15 or 20% a go.

Opening a can of worms here, but do most of you on this plan stick to your macros? I'm having a heck of a time with that!
  • jenf330
    Options
    I'm enjoying this thread. I'm eating at the recommended MFP levels and have been doing great so far (lost 16 prior to starting MFP). I am getting to a point where I'll probably stall, as I'm very close to goal. Will probably give the TDEE-15 or 20% a go.

Opening a can of worms here, but do most of you on this plan stick to your macros? I'm having a heck of a time with that!

I've just started paying attention to macros and it's kind of frustrating. On top of that, I'm realizing that with eating more I'm consuming WAY too much sugar! Any one else have a problem reigning in sugar totals while eating more??
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I've just started paying attention to macros and it's kind of frustrating. On top of that, I'm realizing that with eating more I'm consuming WAY too much sugar! Any one else have a problem reigning in sugar totals while eating more??

Is the sugar you are eating from processed foods or from fruit? I ignore the sugar from my fruit intake because otherwise I am over just eating a sweet potato and a banana which is pretty much every day.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Health-Calc.com health calculators? My friend suggested it because it measures your daily activity by the amount of time doing the activity and the intensity level so she said it might be more accurate but it gives me a much different TDEE than Fat2FitRadio.com calculator. It's almost a 600 calorie difference. Health-Calc has me at 2,544 and Fat2Fit has me at 1995 calories. I am calorie phobic so this whole eating more concept has been hard for me to adjust to. I had been eating at 1200-1300 and I myself figured that was too low for my activity level. I have since tried to up my calories but still get panicky when I eat much more than about 1600 calories a day. That being said I still want to do this right and lose healthfully so I'm willing to deal with the anxiety of eating more to lose the weight, but now I'm not sure which number I should be going off of. I would really hate to be eating either too much or not enough. My stats are that I'm 5'1", 46 year old female, I weigh 129 lbs, I work out 5-6 days a week doing 55 minute spin classes 3x a week, 2-3 miles on the elliptical 5x a week, 30 minute strength training sessions 3x a week, 60 minute Body Pump type workout (low weights and lots of reps) 1x a week. So I guess anywhere from an hour and 30 minutes to two hours of exercise 5x a week. I'm guessing I still have about another 7-10 lbs to lose. Which TDEE seems more accurate?? That's a HUGE calorie difference. Ideas??
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks in January I started at 1200. Dropped 3lbs one week. 1.5 the next. then nothing the next couple weeks. I was hungry and found IPOARM so decided to switch it up!

Ive been doing TDEE-20% For about 2 months.

My weight loss isnt linear. Maybe .2lbs one week, nothing the next, than 1.5 the next week. All in all Im averaging about 1lb per week.
    Im satisfied, eat ice cream, veggies, burgers, fruit..you name it. Im not compromising my enjoyment of food because this is forever.Not a quick fix. So im exercising and eating NOW how I will for the majority of my existence!

My rule of thumb is 80% / 20%...80% good and healthy, 20% of my diet maybe not so much (this is where the ice cream, hamburger chocolate , alchohol and special occassions comes in :) )
  • jenf330
    Options

Is the sugar you are eating from processed foods or from fruit? I ignore the sugar from my fruit intake because otherwise I am over just eating a sweet potato and a banana which is pretty much every day.

A little bit of both :blushing: I never paid attention before because I was always within my limits, but yes, now I'm starting to notice just how much sugar they pack in Lean Cuisines, snack bars, and such. I suppose I should focus on getting my extra calories from whole foods. Thanks!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In January I weighed 240 pounds, wore 20/22 jeans and a 2x top. I started MFP mid-February after having my gallbladder removed, at 235 pounds, and used the MFP settings for 1lb/wk loss at first. Lost a few pounds, then started gaining again as soon as it dropped my calories under 1600. That was two weeks in. I found the IPOARM thread and switched to TDEE-20%, and the weight immediately started coming off again. Now, mid-April, I weigh 215 pounds (and it's solid, even my monthlies only added a couple of pounds of water weight that disappeared again the next week), I'm wearing size 16 jeans and a x to 1x top. I pulled on a size 18 dress the other day and it was actually flattering.

I sit a lot, due to a genetic joint problem... being on my feet for long stretches is prohibitively painful. My exercise consists of 30 to 60 on a recumbent stationary bike 1-3x a week, some weeks not at all. Now that it's getting warmer, I'm walking about half a mile to the park pushing my son's stroller as often as the weather allows. So, moving, but I'm no gym bunny. My son is nursing still, to the tune of about 300 calories a day. I eat anywhere between 1900 and 2200, but I'm having problems reaching the full amount lately and I've decided not to force it since I'm feeling satisfied on less.

What made it a lot easier was spending the first month weighing/measuring absolutely EVERYTHING. Now I know what a serving of most things looks like, so I just eyeball it. Trust me, half a cup of mashed potatoes is a lot more than your imagination thinks it is! Serving sizes are usually smaller than we think, but once you get your visualization retrained, it's surprising how much food can be had!

So, in short, YES, this works!!
  • carenjd
    Options
    WOOT
    In January I weighed 240 pounds, wore 20/22 jeans and a 2x top. I started MFP mid-February after having my gallbladder removed, at 235 pounds, and used the MFP settings for 1lb/wk loss at first. Lost a few pounds, then started gaining again as soon as it dropped my calories under 1600. That was two weeks in. I found the IPOARM thread and switched to TDEE-20%, and the weight immediately started coming off again. Now, mid-April, I weigh 215 pounds (and it's solid, even my monthlies only added a couple of pounds of water weight that disappeared again the next week), I'm wearing size 16 jeans and a x to 1x top. I pulled on a size 18 dress the other day and it was actually flattering.

I sit a lot, due to a genetic joint problem... being on my feet for long stretches is prohibitively painful. My exercise consists of 30 to 60 on a recumbent stationary bike 1-3x a week, some weeks not at all. Now that it's getting warmer, I'm walking about half a mile to the park pushing my son's stroller as often as the weather allows. So, moving, but I'm no gym bunny. My son is nursing still, to the tune of about 300 calories a day. I eat anywhere between 1900 and 2200, but I'm having problems reaching the full amount lately and I've decided not to force it since I'm feeling satisfied on less.

What made it a lot easier was spending the first month weighing/measuring absolutely EVERYTHING. Now I know what a serving of most things looks like, so I just eyeball it. Trust me, half a cup of mashed potatoes is a lot more than your imagination thinks it is! Serving sizes are usually smaller than we think, but once you get your visualization retrained, it's surprising how much food can be had!

So, in short, YES, this works!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I am 50yo, 5'4" and started my weight loss adventure in December 2013 weighing 232 lbs. I started out with the MFP 1200 cals (because I didn't know any differently). After reading success stories for IPOARM, I calculated my daily calorie allotment to 1800 based on my current activity level (gym workout 3-5x/wk and daily walks 2x/day) and TDEE-25% (I have about 80lbs to lose).

I have lost 12 lbs (18 lbs overall) in the last 2 months using this method.

Short answer - yes it works. The key is to re-evaluate with every 10 lbs or so weight loss.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My question for those who did it and it worked, did you just suddenly start eating TDEE-20% or did you slowly work your way up? After eating 1200/cal a day for 6 weeks, I'm a little afraid to just jump it up to 1700 overnight. I ate 1400 last week and started 1500 yesterday. Is that the way to go? Did anyone do one of those full resets?? That would truly scare me :)

To be honest, I was scared to increase my calories so much (1200 to 1800 is a 50% increase), so I did it in leaps of about 200 cals/week. When I didn't see gains on the scale, I felt more comfortable with each increase.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I changed to the TDEE-20% method a few weeks ago. The MFP was fine, but I thought it could be better. I was reading all the groups and posts IPOARM, Eat More to Weigh Less and learned a lot. I checked all the recommended sites and numbers. I did a nutritionist visit a few weeks ago and got my Resting Metabolic Rate tested - similar to BMR and easier to do. It's 1710. My TDEE is 2375. -20% is 1900.

My birthday was March 28th - I had changed over a little before that. I planned to eat all the things I really liked, not go crazy, but to have fun, and log it all. I only went over my calories by about 50 and there was still a 2 lb loss a few days later. Since my birthday 2 weeks ago I have lost four pounds. I log my exercise simply to track it for myself, I'm still working on getting off the couch more. But I put calories at 1 for everything so it doesn't add to the daily calorie goal and I don't have to do the math.

So, yeah, so far so good.
  • carenjd
    Options
    That's fabulous! Congrats!
    I changed to the TDEE-20% method a few weeks ago. The MFP was fine, but I thought it could be better. I was reading all the groups and posts IPOARM, Eat More to Weigh Less and learned a lot. I checked all the recommended sites and numbers. I did a nutritionist visit a few weeks ago and got my Resting Metabolic Rate tested - similar to BMR and easier to do. It's 1710. My TDEE is 2375. -20% is 1900.

My birthday was March 28th - I had changed over a little before that. I planned to eat all the things I really liked, not go crazy, but to have fun, and log it all. I only went over my calories by about 50 and there was still a 2 lb loss a few days later. Since my birthday 2 weeks ago I have lost four pounds. I log my exercise simply to track it for myself, I'm still working on getting off the couch more. But I put calories at 1 for everything so it doesn't add to the daily calorie goal and I don't have to do the math.

So, yeah, so far so good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!