Any success stories using the TDEE-20% (15%) method?

Options

Replies

• Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    im slightly confused, my road map thingy was 1800 cal per day to lose weight i think that was -20% i did not eat back my exercise calories so i was averaging 1300 cal net a day. Now im MFP its set at 1600 cal a day and i eat back my calories and net 1600cal or over so why would the road map one be like this i eat less on this one then i do on MFP. maybe i did it wrong

TDEE includes exercise depending on what you set it as. Sedentary, moderatly active, active etc... So if you found ur TDEE is 2250 (which is what it would have been if it told you 1800 with a 20% deficit), Then that includes exercise and you shouldn't log your exercise and should be eating 1800 cal a day. Also, always make sure to eat above your BMR.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds since October using my TDEE -20%. I run 3x a week, work with a trainer, and lift weights. I'm not hungry, have enough energy for my workouts, and am still losing 1 or 2 pounds a week.
  • bren3345
    bren3345 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So if you're using the TDEE method, you shouldn't log your exercise?
  • Jemmuno
    Options

Nope, not unless you calculated it as sedentary, then on the days you do exercise I would put in my calorie burn and eat those calories back. All the other levels include exercise. I think slightly active is 1-3 times a week, and active is 3-6. If you calculated your TDEE with one of the latter two then your deficit already includes exercise calories.
  • bren3345
    Options

Nope, not unless you calculated it as sedentary, then on the days you do exercise I would put in my calorie burn and eat those calories back. All the other levels include exercise. I think slightly active is 1-3 times a week, and active is 3-6. If you calculated your TDEE with one of the latter two then your deficit already includes exercise calories.

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread...but I'm super confused! Right now I have my calories set at 1,550 even though MFP suggests 1,200 (1,550 is based on a TDEE of around 2,000). Today I ran 10 miles and I ate back all the calories burned plus the 1,550. Is that incorrect? I honestly don't feel like I overate at all.
  • Jemmuno
    Options
    What's your age, height, weight? If your running that much I think you have your activity level set wrong. MFP always puts ppl at too low of calories, assuming that they will workout and eat back their calories. Also, most people say they are sedentary when they are not.
  • bren3345
    Options
    What's your age, height, weight? If your running that much I think you have your activity level set wrong. MFP always puts ppl at too low of calories, assuming that they will workout and eat back their calories. Also, most people say they are sedentary when they are not.

I'm 27, 5'1, 120. I have it set on sedentary because I have a desk job. But I'm very active so maybe I should change it.
  • Jemmuno
    Options

I'm 27, 5'1, 120. I have it set on sedentary because I have a desk job. But I'm very active so maybe I should change it.

Yea I think you should!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

go here and plug in your info. When you calculate remember your TDEE is the most you should be eating and BMR is the least you should be eating. I always try to attain what I calculated as my deficit, so for example I eat no less than 1850 (my 20%deficit) and no more than 2300 (my TDEE).

You should calculate how many hours on average you work out a week and pick your activity level based on that. Then you don't have to worry about keeping track of exercise calories. I think they are a pain to keep track of.

Hope this helps!!
  • bren3345
    Options

Yea I think you should!

go here and plug in your info. When you calculate remember your TDEE is the most you should be eating and BMR is the least you should be eating. I always try to attain what I calculated as my deficit, so for example I eat no less than 1850 (my 20%deficit) and no more than 2300 (my TDEE).

You should calculate how many hours on average you work out a week and pick your activity level based on that. Then you don't have to worry about keeping track of exercise calories. I think they are a pain to keep track of.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much! It finally clicked! My BMR is 1,330, TDEE is 2,294 and my daily calories are 1,835 so I will try to stay around that. I appreciate you explaining it to me!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I'm using the TDEE but then logging (and eating back) my exercise calories as well. I know it's not exactly how it's designed to be used but it seems to be working ok so far (it's only been 2 weeks since I changed this). I figure that if I build enough movement into my every day life then I can afford to log the actual exercise.

Every body is different, I think the best thing to do is experiment and figure out what works for you. For me I enjoy the motivation of knowing I can eat back my exercise calories.
  • bren3345
    Options

I'm using the TDEE but then logging (and eating back) my exercise calories as well. I know it's not exactly how it's designed to be used but it seems to be working ok so far (it's only been 2 weeks since I changed this). I figure that if I build enough movement into my every day life then I can afford to log the actual exercise.

Every body is different, I think the best thing to do is experiment and figure out what works for you. For me I enjoy the motivation of knowing I can eat back my exercise calories.

Yea i ate back my exercise calories today and feel fine. I'm pretty good at listening to my body and knowing when to eat, when not to eat so I definitely don't feel like I was overdoing it. You're right though - I need to figure out what works for me.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I only started December 11, and I got a little side tracked with the holidays. But, started taking progress pics once a month in January. I also started stronglifts in January. I'm currently eating at TDEE-25%

Februarycomparisonfront_small_zps0e5085fc.jpg
    Februarycomparisonside_small_zpsc3788a95.jpg

you look amazing!!
  • Jemmuno
    Options

Yea I think you should!

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much! It finally clicked! My BMR is 1,330, TDEE is 2,294 and my daily calories are 1,835 so I will try to stay around that. I appreciate you explaining it to me!

Yea so just stay in between 1835 and 2294, but always make sure to eat up to your 1835. So if you still feel hungry when you reach 1835 your still fine to eat more. Just try to stay below 2294.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    my BMR is about 1600 cal to just function but when i do the road map and do not eat back my calories its 1300 cal so im eating under my BMR?? on MFP im just eating my BMR calories which is 1600?? help
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    TDEE-15% and looking good so far
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 20 and losing just fine :)
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm barely losing 1/2 pound a week - I'm scared to up my intake by 400 calories per day for TDEE - 20%...
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm barely losing 1/2 pound a week - I'm scared to up my intake by 400 calories per day for TDEE - 20%...

I know how you feel but I figured if I'm going to lose weight slowly on 1200-1400 calories I might as well see what happens if I eat more. I'm starting tomorrow.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options

I know how you feel but I figured if I'm going to lose weight slowly on 1200-1400 calories I might as well see what happens if I eat more. I'm starting tomorrow.

What will happen is that you will have more energy and feel more motivated. I did not believe this, no matter how many time I read it, until I tried it myself. If you have been eating at a deficit for a long time, you might gain a little at first, as your metabolism catches up. In the end, though, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!