If its really about calories then explain to me why.....

Options

Replies

• KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love how so many people are bashing low-carb diets/dieters by saying "when they go back to eating carbs, it all comes back." Who's to say that low-carbers all go back to gorging on carbs once they've reached their goal? I think just like people using other eating plans/methods to reach their goals, many low carbers plan to eat this way for life. I know I am one of those people. I drastically cut my carbs and keep them below 100g/day, and it's very manageable for me. I don't crave carbs. I view this the same as many of the people who are simply watching their calories and fats. When you reach goal, you find a level a maintenance and the idea is you'll stick to it.

Ketosis, baby! :drinker:
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Still wondering WHY if its calories in calories out that matter!! Why they are able to lose soo much faster??

It has to do with how your body metabolizes sugar, which is what net carbohydrates (total carbs-fiber) are. Put simply, insulin is responsible for moving sugar from the blood to the appropriate storage facility. Too much sugar means too much insulin which can result in a cellular inability to use that sugar for energy. That excess sugar is then stored as fat. If you control your carb intake, you control your sugar, which results in less insulin, less triglycerides (that's the fat storage), and a more efficient cellular metabolism which can then start to use the existing triglycerides for energy.

Excess fat and protein are also stored as fat, this is why it is simply calories in being less than calories out.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60 lbs in about 5 months by counting calories. Not by restricting carbs. It works both ways.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    But im asking WHY do low carvers lose so much faster than calorie counters if its the calories that matter so much!

Do You want it fast or do you want it permanent?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Because what ninerbuff told you is true, most of the initial weight loss on low carb diets that you seem to be asking about is WATER and not fat. There is *very* little difference when you are comparing the rate of fat loss between low and moderate/high carb. But, low carbers will gain weight afterwards, not necessarily fat, but definitely water, when they reintroduce carbs to their life.

Also, low carbers typically eat the same amount as high carbers...the calorie deficit causes the fat loss, not the carb deficit...protein is very filling, so they eat less at meals naturally.

^this, IMO.
  • mfstew2007
    mfstew2007 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    carbs turn into sugar. when losing weight our bodies first burn all those carbs that have turned to sugar then you burn fats. if you cut your carbs then you get to burning fat faster. you should have no more than 45 gr. carbs per meal but not all those being in one item. no one item should be over 15. so you can have 3 items of 15 carbs. they are absolutely right, if you cut carbs that low, you will certainly gain back when you start eating more normal. but if you cut your carbs as i was told to do, that's liveable. i have tried to lose weight for years. knowing that i had sugar problems, i cut out sugar but continued to gain. after being diagnosed diabetic and a nutritionist giving me the carb information i have now lost 19 lbs easily and have no doubts i can continue eating this way because i am not starving!!~
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sooo many people lose weight so much quicker when they eat less than 20 grams of carbs per day? I see soooo many success stories where people lose 50-60 lb in 5 months (for example) these are people who are not extremely obese either..whereas counting calories you rarely see where they lose that much in that short period of time? So is it really the deficit in your daily calories that count? All these numerous stories I read & see lose so much so quick eating low carb!!

I'm on 200g of carbs per day, and I've lost almost 60 pounds in seven months. I don't know why anyone would go as low as 20g of carbs. Even diabetics can eat more carbs than that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sooo many people lose weight so much quicker when they eat less than 20 grams of carbs per day? I see soooo many success stories where people lose 50-60 lb in 5 months (for example) these are people who are not extremely obese either..whereas counting calories you rarely see where they lose that much in that short period of time? So is it really the deficit in your daily calories that count? All these numerous stories I read & see lose so much so quick eating low carb!!
    It's because carbs require 3 grams of water per gram of carb for storage in your body. You cut out carbs, your body stops storing them. Carb storage goes down, and you lose water and carb weight.

Incidentally, I lost 60 pounds in 5 months eating 200-300 grams of carbs a day. It's all about the calorie deficit.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've recently reduced carbs (within the past 2 weeks to 80p/d or less and only from 1 serv fruit, rest veg) to go with my pcos/prediabetic, im curious about the ketosis though!

But have increased my protein/fat (Hey i exercise and lift ) but to be honest, I feel fantastic, not bloated, not tired and not as upsey or downsey as I would of been from eating pasta/rice/etc (sugar spike/fall)

I'll be going by measurements of -2 inches so far.

For alot of people it is a perm change, as if some of us dont sort out the diet, properly, we wont be around to enjoy it. And basicaly i dont wanna get diebeties type 2.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But im asking WHY do low carvers lose so much faster than calorie counters if its the calories that matter so much!

Do You want it fast or do you want it permanent?

^^ This too

Personally, I want to create a permanent diet that allows me to enjoy my meals *and* weigh a healthy weight for the rest of my life. I increased my calories to lose only one pound per week.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    For example a friend of mine started out weighing 215 she lost 75 lb in less than 6 months! Never have I heard of this being done counting calories! She was eating 20 grams of carbs a day & not counting calories just carbs!

This is kinda ridiculous, why did my friend who cut out a third of her calorie sources but didnt count her calories lose weight .....

Are you aware that you can go onto a calorie defecit without counting and tracking that you are doing so ?
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's not about how fast you lose the weight. It's about creating a new, healthy lifestyle. Any diet where you restrict will work, but most of the time you will put the wieght right back on as soon as you re-introduce whatever you've cut out of your diet.
    It doesn't matter how FAST you lose the weight if you don't keep it off.

exactly! I have been there done that and I will say from experience I lost about 40 pounds in 3 months on the low carb diet but I gained back everything plus 10 pounds as soon as I started back eating carbs....this diet will only work for permanetly if you plan on eating under 20 carbs a day the rest of your life....I don't want that I can't do that I will rather have a lifestyle change where I can eat carbs, fat, sugars in moderation and lose weight slow and steady...this for me will work...
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    yes yes. i know. it works. but can u do it for the rest of your life??

I completely agree with this. The long-term goal should be developing a healthy lifestyle and something you can attain the rest of your life. With that being said, there is no one "magical" way for everyone to lose body fat. Some people eat clean, and if they can do it for the rest of their lives then all the power to them. If you will want a treat at some point in your life then incorporate it now rather than later. I'm not talking about eating a bunch of junk food, but having a small snack of what you like. This is just my honest opinion.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    One reason: It takes more energy for your body to digest protein than carbs.

Two reason: Something to do with ketosis, which might be very harmful to the body. Researchers are still back and forth on this one. Some say short periods are okay, while some say it's not good at all.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Your friend who lost weight counting carbs instead of calories may have also been eating low calories as a side effect of cutting out most carbs.

This! Most of the people I know who were counting carbs were also on a VLCD which is not sustainable in the long run for a lot a people. If you are trying to lose weight doing something you aren't or can't do for the rest of your life, chances are the weight you lost so quickly will find you again.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find a lower carb diet helps me drop weight. I tried the conventional 40/40/20 diet at the start of this year and I am still trying it. I count my calories every day. I have been at a 500-1000 cals under my maintenance cals plus I workout doing insanity 6 times a week, and the gym 2-3 times to lift weights. So far this year I have only lost 7 pounds in just over two months. Some weeks I have burned over 5000-6000 calories. Last year I was on a low carb diet since June, I lost 60 lbs using that diet and working out, went from around 285 to 223 without killing myself with the workouts I am using now. So I have a hard time with the whole calories in calories out thing. Some diets just work better for people. I am going to try one last thing before I kick my carb based diet to the curb. Because busting my *kitten* and only dropping 7 lbs so far this year is not worth it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Carbs make up a significant portion of most diets. If you remove the carbs and do not replace it with anything else, then you are cutting a significant amount of calories from your diet as well.
  • vetmom1
    vetmom1 Posts: 1
    Options
    To answer the original poster...I have never eaten that low of carbs but I lose a lot faster if I keep them below 100. For me it is as simple as eating a lower carb diet fills me up so much I wind up eating lower calories...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    All I want to know is WHY they (low carbers) lose at such a faster rate than calorie counters? That's it! Not opinions (with all due respect)

If she's not counting calories, how do you know how many she's eating? If I restricted my carbs that low, I would be eating FAR fewer calories. I just don't like meat and veggies enough to eat significantly more of them.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    All I want to know is WHY they (low carbers) lose at such a faster rate than calorie counters? That's it! Not opinions (with all due respect)

You are asking us to explain why some friend of a friend lost 75 lbs in 6 months eat low carb? My guess they had really low calories and did a lot of exercise. How do you expect us to answer. There is no way of us knowing. What is scientifically known is that caloric deficit is the key to losing weight.