If its really about calories then explain to me why.....

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your friend who lost weight counting carbs instead of calories may have also been eating low calories as a side effect of cutting out most carbs.

DING DING DING!
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    For me, the bottom line is calories, but macros do matter. Limiting carbs = limiting calories in my book. hell, a nice fatty serving of bacon is only 80 calories but that will sit like a rock in my stomach for half a day where as 80 calories of bread or something will having me starving in an hour or two and I will eat something else, thus, eating more calories.

I think almost all diets are creative ways of restricting calories.
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    Eating a keto diet, with fewer than 20 grams of crabs a day and high fat percentage, can make for very fast weight loss. The appetite decreases significantly on this kind of diet once full ketosis sets in. The body starts processing fat stores for energy and does not feel hunger very often. So - feeling satisfied with small amounts of food because your'e in ketosis and fatty foods are satisfying, and a faster fat burn. People also have success on this diet because it's easy to follow. You can eat bacon, cheese, and fatty meats. I have done a keto diet for a short time and this was my experience.(I used it to kick start my weight loss in the beginning.) I know a few people who have lost large amounts of weight on a keto diet after not having success with other plans. The diet is controversial for various reasons, though. The people I know who have kept off weight after doing keto maintaing a relatively low-carb existence for the rest of their lives.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Hey there. I haven't read through all of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating anything that has already been said.

The bottom line is to lose weight, you must consume less calories than your body expends. That being said, your body absorbs nutrients from and burns calories from different foods with different efficiencies. Also, different foods have different effects on your metabolism thus impacting how many calories you will burn. I would imagine the imact various foods have on insulin levels would largely determine this. I am exaggerating and really don't know the exact details, so please no one crucify me for this, LOL, but consider the following example. Based on activity levels, subject A would need to consume 1500 calories on average to maintain their current weight. Eating more than that would cause them to gain weight and eating less would cause them to lose. Let's say that this person eats a fairly poor diet consisting of a large percentage of refined carbs. The impact of this diet could potentially slow down the person's metabolism so that, for maintenance, the person now only needs 1200 calories. If they are eating 1500 calories, maintenance has now turned to weight gain! Subject B has similar activity levels and initially requires 1500 calories for maintenance. This person eats a balanced diet with a lot of fibrous vegetables. This diet actually increases the person's metabolism so the 1500 calories turns from maintenance to weight loss!

Also, consider the following intangibles. Subject A, with their poor diet, is likely to feel more lethargic and probably would not be able to push as hard during exercise. So, they may exercise for 30-45 minutes, but is physically unable to push with maximum effort and really don't get as high a calorie burn as they should. Subject B, with a better diet, has their body running at a higher efficiency. As a result, they are able to push hard and burn more calories in the same 30-45 minute exercise period.

Hope this helps.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at what they are doing with the other parts that aren't carbs?

Also- just an FYI - weight loss and getting fit is pretty much one of the only things you cant compare yourself to others and expect the same results from.

It's all about finding YOUR magic sweet spot and not becoming obsessed with what other people can get away with.

If you cant, you cant - you find something you CAN do or something that DOES work for you instead of spinning your wheels trying to make someone else's sweet spot work for YOU.

Thats like plagiarism. Write your own secret formula for your own body's success story. :drinker:

edited spelled 'write' wrong -_-
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Carbs require more water, so initially, cutting the carbs results in a big water weight loss, but that doesn't account for ALL the weight loss.

Proteins are harder to digest, so studies have shown that your body burns slightly more energy digesting proteins than carbs.

Your body can store carbs as fat, easier than storing fats you eat. Some of the unburned fats you eat are excreted from the body without being stored.

Higher fats and proteins help you feel fuller, longer, and therefore you will naturally eat fewer calories than you would if you were eating sugar/simple carbs.

Fiber is not digested like other carbs, so most of the calories in fiber are not digested by the body. Non starch veggies are high in fiber. Carb counters only count 'net carbs' which is after fiber has been deducted. Therefore 100 calories of broccoli, will not have the same weight effect as 100 calories of pure sugar.

All of these things work together to explain why some people lose weight more easily on low-carb diets. But it doesn't guarantee it. As shown by other posters on here, you still must eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat.

My brother will frequently go 'low carb' and lose 20 pounds quickly, but since he uses it as an excuse to pig out on fried chicken, bacon, cheese, and hamburger, he has trouble losing weight after the initial loss and goes back to normal eating quickly. You still have to watch the calories, it is just much easier to do that on lower carbs. (For many people)

I am successful on a LCHF diet, not only with weight loss, but pain and inflammation reduction, better energy and moods, and all around feel much better, while helping me dodge the Diabetes bullet that runs in my family.
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone with all the responses!! Got some mostly GREAT and informative responses on this thread! I will be reading the links you provided as well! Thanks again:bigsmile:
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    just read the USA Today article and read the comments below AND THIS lady hit the nail on the head for me with her comment and I understood in plain simple terms what she was talking about and WHY low carb works faster than counting calories...below was her comment

A thorough study of human biochemistry will explain why low carb and low glycemic diets work. Just the facts. If you do not understand biochemistry you need to have an open mind. The facts: the healthy human body will metabolize every carbohydrate it is fed. Every one. Some faster than others. But every one of them. What it doesn't use immediately for energy is stored. A small amount is stored in the liver for energy reserves. The rest of the unused carb gets converted to fat and stored as such. It is a very quick efficient process in the human body. Too many carbs result in the requirement for a lot of exercise to keep from storing it as fat. Starve the body of carbs and it will have no choice but get energy from other sources like your own body fat. Breaking down fat and converting to energy is not as easy as burning carbs so it works harder. Metabolism increases. Fat gets burned and all the while a heavy work out is not needed. This doesn't excuse a person from exercising but as the fat is lost exercise becomes easier and more fat is burned off.

Why, since the advent of low fat (high carb) diets, has the american public become more and more obese? Its not working is it? Give solid science a chance. And just for fun, start looking at the carb content in the foods you eat. You'll be surprised and how much you are taking in.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I lost 154 pounds by the end of my first year and 8 months later that got to 200 pounds. All done by counting calories and lowering my carbs. I now do find I get quite bloated and full much easier with carbs which lasts a couple of days. I eat more but still like to keep control of how much carbs I have.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    snowflakes
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    LOL. I just read some of this thread and I had to chuckle. There are so many diet plans out there, no wonder everyone is stir crazy over which is right and which is wrong.

Let me put it to you as simple as I know how. Quit omitting a food group and start eating a 'balanced' meal plan. Quit dieting and start eating healthy. Point blank, quit making it so difficult.

Example:
    Three of your meals per day should look like this:
    4 oz protein (about the size of a deck of cards)
    1/2 cup complex carb
    1 cup veggies
    Add a little Omega 3's.
    Drink water of each meal.

How water per day do you need? Simple calculation. Take your body weight and divide by 2=........That is how many ounces a day you should be drinking. Very simple way to keep track.

MyFitnessPal does all the work for you as far as how many calories a day you need based on your stats. But what makes up your calories is all that matters. You have empty calories and then you have calories that are filling and healthy for you.

Between meals eat a healthy snack.

So many people make eating healthy so complicated. You are fretting over things that just make you want to go hog wild with your meals.

I take each Saturday/Sunday and I cook my meals for the upcoming week. This weekend I made a turkey meatloaf and I fixed up some turkey patties. You must plan your meals in order to eat properly. You can't just go out on a whim and start grabbing and add up those calories for the day and say, Welp....I got in my 1200 calories today. Look at where those calories come from.

Enjoy eating healthy. Make it fun.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    If you eat a low carb diet, you are only setting yourself up for failure in the future. You may lose weigh faster but when you are done with the diet then what? Go back to eating terribly? You'll gain everything back. Eat a deficit with healthier foods and you WILL lose the weight and create a healthier lifestyle, I did. Lost 30 pounds without a "fad" diet and now I eat better than ever and its staying off.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sooo many people lose weight so much quicker when they eat less than 20 grams of carbs per day? I see soooo many success stories where people lose 50-60 lb in 5 months (for example) these are people who are not extremely obese either..whereas counting calories you rarely see where they lose that much in that short period of time? So is it really the deficit in your daily calories that count? All these numerous stories I read & see lose so much so quick eating low carb!!

I've lost 50 pounds in 5 months eating 200-300 grams of carbs per day. I'd rather be fat than eat less than 20 grams per day - really.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    just read the USA Today article and read the comments below AND THIS lady hit the nail on the head for me with her comment and I understood in plain simple terms what she was talking about and WHY low carb works faster than counting calories...below was her comment

A thorough study of human biochemistry will explain why low carb and low glycemic diets work. Just the facts. If you do not understand biochemistry you need to have an open mind. The facts: the healthy human body will metabolize every carbohydrate it is fed. Every one. Some faster than others. But every one of them. What it doesn't use immediately for energy is stored. A small amount is stored in the liver for energy reserves. The rest of the unused carb gets converted to fat and stored as such. It is a very quick efficient process in the human body. Too many carbs result in the requirement for a lot of exercise to keep from storing it as fat. Starve the body of carbs and it will have no choice but get energy from other sources like your own body fat. Breaking down fat and converting to energy is not as easy as burning carbs so it works harder. Metabolism increases. Fat gets burned and all the while a heavy work out is not needed. This doesn't excuse a person from exercising but as the fat is lost exercise becomes easier and more fat is burned off.

Why, since the advent of low fat (high carb) diets, has the american public become more and more obese? Its not working is it? Give solid science a chance. And just for fun, start looking at the carb content in the foods you eat. You'll be surprised and how much you are taking in.
    This is sounding more about your pitch for low carbing instead of a question about why it's about calories in/out.
    I've WITNESSED competitive bodybuilders who GAIN 20+ pounds in hours. How? After a comp (and several weeks of low carbing) they "carb" up with pizza, burgers, fries etc. Realize that 20lbs of fat (since fat is higher in calories for reference) is 70,000 calories. Even champion eaters don't eat that much at one sitting, so where is all the weight coming from? The absorption of water and glycogen.
    People are OBESE in our nation for ONE REASON...................OVER CONSUMPTION. And that consumption can be any macronutrient.
    You can eat carbs an lose fat. It's STILL comes down to calories in/out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NormalizeJac
    Options
    If you limit yourself to <20 carbs a day, there aren't too many foods you can pick from. I would get sick of eating grilled chicken all day pretty quickly. By cutting out most food groups (due to limiting her carbs), she is naturally going to take in less calories all together. Plus, it's a lot easier to overeat on carbs compared to other food groups without realizing it.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in about 10 months counting cals. I still eat my carbs. It is calories in calories out. I don't know where you get the idea that low carbers lose weight quicker. Look at some success stories first next time. There are plenty of people here losing massive numbers just simply cutting calories.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I THINK that it's really about nutrient dense foods...

The purpose of eating is to fuel your body, hunger is the signals that your body needs fuel/nutrients.

When you eat craap, your body doesn't get the nutrition it needs and you will be hungry much sooner than if you had nutritious food.

The more nutrition per calorie the fewer calories it takes to satisfy you bodies needs and the less hungry you will be.

Since all of our food falls into only 3 categories... *Fat *Carb *Protein
    I think personally think it unwise to severely limit any one of those categories, but I do try to keep an eye on the Quality of the food Fat, Carbs and Proteins I eat :

1) COMPLEX Carbs
    2) HAPPY Fats (Mono and Poly Unsaturated fats, good for brain and nerve function, helps prevent diabetes and depression)
    3) LEAN Proteins.

In today world it's really easy to consume tons of calories with out any nutritional. You can take in 3,000 calories a day and still be malnourished... You can take in 3,000 calories a day and still be in starvation mode... because your body it not getting the nutrition it needs and on top of that it's busy trying to figure out what to do with all mystery chemicals that are not found in nature.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

LOL, see skeletal muscle glycogen capacity, my first post and DNL in humans, quick and efficient? lolololol
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personally find that by restricting my carb intake I am more in control of my cravings. This means that I have better weight loss results.
    I think it is important to find what works for you and go with that.

I have seen a lot of people saying when low carbers start eating carbs again they gain the weight back.
    Well surely when people who are eating low fat and low calories start eating more fat and calories again they would gain weight too.

Either way we are all on a journey here and once we reach our goal have to be careful to ensure we dont go back to what ever bad old habits got us into this position in the first place.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done those diets for long periods of time, I would attribute it to the following.

1. You get a big initial weight loss (like 7-15 lbs) of water loss initially. THis is from the body using stored liver and muscle glycogen for energy in abscense of carbs. This muscle glycogen binds to water.
    2. For whatever reason, these diets for whatever reason have a natural appetite suppresant effect. I would literally forget to eat dinner sometimes.
    3. Probly the most important, they eliminate an entire macronutrient, carbs. THis typically represents 30-60% of the average persons diet.

Combine these factors and people, without realizing it, create a calorie deficit, many times a large calorie deficit because food options are so limited. THey have essentially been tricked to reach a calorie deficit. I used to think carbs were the devil. When I look back, my average day was around 1600 calories. No wonder I lost the weight.