Coffee Drinkers

Options

Replies

• laineymags22
    laineymags22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    usually between skim milk and a calorie free sweetner like Truvia, the coffee is pretty good and still easy on the calories. When I started my journey though, I weened myself off of putting anything in my coffee and now the most I do is add a little ground cinnamon or Cocoa powder for a change. Coffee still has calories (2 cals per 8oz.) but drinking black helps to keep my sanity!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I see this question A LOT. Have your tried any sugar free syrups? That might be something to look into. I'm really into FLAVORED coffee (It comes in every flavor now....Berre's brothers has fruity ones, Folgers makes chocolate coffee...look into it, I'm sure you can find something you like). Then, you get the flavor and you can add sugar or splenda or stevia or whatever you're using to make it sweet with just a splash of skim milk. Try adding a packet of sugar free cocoa to your coffee...then it's a mocha!

Is the reason you add creamer for the flavor or to lighten up the coffee? Have you tried a blonde roast? Or, if you can't give up the creamer....when you prepare, mix half creamer and half skim milk. Or try Vanilla Soy milk or Almond milk.
  • jmeade524
    Options
    Seattle's Best IS horrid. I had the same dilemma, so I just stopped cold turkey -- I went out to our local gourmet coffee store, got a bag of really delicious smelling coffee, and had it black. I've been drinking black ever since except now.. I'm pregnant... and baby wants creamer again. Haha!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this one gfedex i just use Half and Half cream in my one cup of coffee its not adding a lot of fat and i dont have alot of bad fats in my diet
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee with half and half and raw sugar, and don't eat anything else for breakfast. I'm not really hungry for more than that, once you add in the water you're supposed to drink. It doesn't add up to too much, and I'm able to have my little treat for the day without sacrificing a lot of calories.
  • winstonh
    winstonh Posts: 48
    Options
    I was a 5-10 cups of coffee w/ cream and sugar guy for many years, then I developed an intollerence to lactose. Now I use almond milk (available in flavors) and instead of sugar I use Agave Syrup. I love coffee and I really enjoy the way I drink it now.

I should mention I'm down to 2 - 3 a day, btw. I think 5 -10 may be too much no matter how ya take it!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I just drink black coffee. I do get lattes when I'm out though with skim milk. I'd rather save my fat for bacon.
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I use Silk unsweetened Almond Milk (I have never liked sweet coffee) - it's only 30 calories for 8 oz. But they make sweetened and vanilla and I think that they are only 60 cal for 8 oz.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I switched from french vanilla creamer to half and half. It has far fewer calories and sugar. It took a few weeks to adjust, but I enjoy it this way now.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    you only have coffee for breakfast
    that is so not good breakfast is the most important meal of the day thats the meal that helps to wake your metabolism .

I take my coffee with half and half and raw sugar, and don't eat anything else for breakfast. I'm not really hungry for more than that, once you add in the water you're supposed to drink. It doesn't add up to too much, and I'm able to have my little treat for the day without sacrificing a lot of calories.
    [/quote]
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A good quality coffee is great without anything in it.

I use a bit of sweetener or honey to sweeten mine if I don't use a flavoured creamer.

Otherwise, I add in a bit of milk/cream than some flavoured protein powder. It gives coffee a good taste and the calories it adds helps me meet my protein goals so it's not wasted calories.

Otherwise, a hundred calories in my coffee in the morning isn't much and can be worked off.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just drink black coffee. I do get lattes when I'm out though with skim milk. I'd rather save my fat for bacon.

I think we would All save our fat for bacon! Mmmmmmmm, bacon :love:
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Coffee addict here. LOVE cream in my coffee, but hate milk, don't like it sweet so the creamers were not an option for me. Started by allowing and budgeting a certain amount with cream. When that was gone, if I wanted more coffee it had to be black. Slowly over time I realized that I was enjoying my black coffee, your tastebuds will evolve. I now have one morning quad espresso with a tablespoon of heavy cream and the rest of the day its black.
  • mmowery31
    mmowery31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i'm also a cream lover. and had switched to the sugar free flavored kind to take away some of those added calories. i measured it out so i was careful not to go over. Recently though i have switched to drinking it black. it's not too bad if you don't make your coffee too strong. i would suggest at least trying it b/c it's not as bad as what you'd think. hope this helps
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love coffee myself! I usually get the sugar free creamer and I ACTUALLY measure out my creamer--like I use a tablespoon to pour creamer into my coffee. It has helped me cut back on calories TREMENDOUSLY because I can now eyeball/use a spoon to measure creamer when I go to restaurants. And I realize I don't need AS much creamer as I originally thought and adjusted to only drinking 3 tablespoons per 12oz.
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use no more than 1-2 tsp of non dairy creamer which gives me 10-20 calories & no more than 2 tbsp of splenda in my coffee (every morning)
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've grown accustomed to using plain creamer (not the flavored stuff because then Im tempted to go overboard!). I've also learned to use half the serving size and for sweetener, I use Stevia. It's an all-natural, zero calorie sweetener. And unlike Splenda/Aspartame/Equal, etc.... it won't spike your blood sugar (which causes you to get hungrier faster and crave carbs).
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I recently have been putting a packet of Diet Hot Chocolate mix into black coffee. The diet hot choc pack is only 25 calories.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I just put a small bit of full fat or semi skimmed milk in my coffee. I like t quite strong. I find if I put skim milk in it's too watery and ends up cooling the coffee down,and I like it really hot. We buy full fat milk for our kids anyway, and at work we always have semi skim in the fridge.

I'd never heard of creamers until I went on MFP. We don't use them in England.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon or Vanilla added to your coffee helps.
    Then you can use FF milk or FF powder creamer to add to it so its not black.