Can I log this as water?

Options
Many people have asked if they can log something like tea or coffee as water. The answers always sparked debate. I have devised this quick and dirty guide to help. Answer these questions, and you will never have to ask this question again.

1. Would you use it to water a plant or your lawn?
2. Would you put it in your dog's bowl or hamster's bottle?
3. Would you use it to fill a fish tank?
4. Does it fall from the sky when it's raining?
5. Can find large bodies of it to surf, fish, or swim in it?
6. Would you use it in a recipe instead of water?
7. Would you rinse your car or dishes with it?
8. Would you bathe, wash your face, or shampoo your hair in it?
9. Would you use it to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth?
10. Can you build a snowman out of it or ski on it when it is in a frozen, crystallized form?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, the liquid is probably not water. Don't log it as water. If you have added something to the water like Crystal Light or Mio, go back and ask yourself these questions about the "water" in its current, altered state. Again, if you answer any of these questions as "no" then it's not water.

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think building a snowman using my pink Crystal Light water would be super pretty.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't fall from the sky?
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I just had my first big laugh of the day - thank you!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't quite see it as black/white as you do. For example, no I wouldn't fill up my fish tank with herbal tea (no caffeine), but I certainly would count it as water. But I wouldn't count Crystal Light or Mio or any of those things as water because they're filled with chemicals!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Adding flavoring to water doesn't diminish it's hydrating properties nor does it diminish it's effectiveness. I don't see why you wouldn't count it.

If I mix 8 ounces of water with 8 ounces of juice, then I would count the calories for the 8 ounces of juice and the water for the 8 ounces of water.

If I mix in a tablespoon of flavoring to 16 ounces of water then I'm going to count the 16 ounces of water.

I don't actually log water so I really don't care but this doesn't make any sense.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Why did I log onto the forums today.........
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Many people have asked if they can log something like tea or coffee as water. The answers always sparked debate. I have devised this quick and dirty guide to help. Answer these questions, and you will never have to ask this question again.

10. Can you build a snowman out of it or ski on it when it is in a frozen, crystallized form?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, the liquid is probably not water. Don't log it as water. If you have added something to the water like Crystal Light or Mio, go back and ask yourself these questions about the "water" in its current, altered state. Again, if you answer any of these questions as "no" then it's not water.
    So I guess sea water is okay to drink and log as water. Yes to those.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    When you add something to water, it stops being water and starts being a water based solution. Water is the solvent, and whatever you put in it is the solute.
  • ironmom77
    Options

So I guess sea water is okay to drink and log as water. Yes to those.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOL!! I should have specified "fresh water" and opposed to "sea water". The next question is, "How many calories are in sea water?"
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    When you add something to water, it stops being water and starts being a water based solution. Water is the solvent, and whatever you put in it is the solute.
    So people can only count it as water if it's absolutely pure H2O?
    Not tap water or bottled 'mineral water'?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    So....adding something to water makes it not water?

If I sprinkle seasoning on my chicken breast....is it still chicken breast? If no, what is it?

I was never very good in science class. Please answer me post haste.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

This. Or, what if I pour a packet of crystal light in my mouth and then chug 20 ounces of water. Is it still water? If so then why does it matter if it mixes in the bottle/cup, in my mouth, or in my GI system?
  • ironmom77
    Options

This is a quick and dirty guide, not meant to go into all of the chemical properties of water. Technically speaking, there is no such thing as "pure" water as water is a universal solvent . Trace amounts of minerals or other substances are expected to be found in any water sample. What I am referring to in this statement is the addition of any substance to water that significantly alters its taste, color, smell, viscosity or specific conductivity.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    or you just stay hydrated, ya know making sure your pee is clear or close to and dont worry so much about logging water. Just my 2 cents
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Sure but it's not like your body won't become hydrated because you added flavouring to your water.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Looks like you only made a list for people who agree with your part of the debate. I think MFP should just change the water intake to liquid intake or something like that since that is all that really matters.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    SMH! When will this debate end? For 30 years I never drank any straight H2O unless a dribble happened to go down my throat when I brushed my teeth. Somehow, miraculously, I have survived and am quite healthy actually.

You need to stay hydrated. Your body doesn't give a rat's *kitten* whether you drink purified spring water, lap it out of apuddle, make tea, drink milk, eat fruit or veggies to get it.

If your urine is lightly yellow then you get enough liquids. The whole 8 glasses thing is a complete myth and obsessing about what is water and what isn't is ridiculous.
  • ironmom77
    Options

If I sprinkle seasoning on my chicken breast....is it still chicken breast? If no, what is it?

Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Technically our body does absorb water from things like tea, coffee, even sodas, food, etc... So technically it is water lol. However, it is not recommended only because our body will also consume the sodium and sugar that comes along with most of those drinks.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.

What is this? A basic chemistry lesson?

Anytime you drink even pure H2O (which does exist, by the way) it will mix with something. Whether that something is food sitting in your stomach or intestines or a packet of crystal light, it doesn't matter.

Even if you put pure H2O into your mouth, it won't stay that way for long. Like you said, it is a universal solvent.

Your body can get the necessary water out of solution.