Words/Phrases you HATE

Options

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    'Totes adorbs' makes me vomit in my mouth. It was hardly proper English to begin with, now we can't be bothered to say whole words?

'YOLO' is Carpe Diem for idiots.

'Thigh gap'. I'm quite proud to not look like I could be snapped in half by a gust of wind, what is so great about your legs looking like twigs?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I generally don't have a problem with any words or phrases. What bugs me is when people use abbreviations that originated in instant messenger / text messages in forums where they have the ability to spell out the words. They're fine when you're trying to rush out your response because you don't know if the other person is already typing their next message. But when you aren't in such a rush, you don't lose that much time by spelling it out. All you do is risk people wondering what the heck you're saying.

For what it's worth, I really don't mind "it is what it is". For me, it's always worked to express a combination of both finality and limited significance. (It is not going to change. There is nothing more to it that what you see. And don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. A molehill is a molehill.) Although I do suppose that the key is using it in an appropriate situation where one may be tempted to make a mountain out of that molehill or to try and find that there's something more to it.

Scenario: I come into my office in the morning.

Me: "Morning Sergeant Smith. How’s your day going?"

Smith: "Terrible. I failed my fitness test this morning. Now I’m going to get paperwork, the commander’s going to want to talk to me, and I’ve got to go to additional exercise sessions outside of work. I just can’t focus. I mean, I bust my hump to do all this work they hand us, and I do it really well. Every job they give me, I knock it out. But now, because I didn’t do enough push-ups, I’m a failure and a second-rate worker? What the heck?!?"

Me: "Well, it is what it is. Take a moment, calm down, get your mind right, and we’ll work with you to get you ready to test again." (Implications: 1: We can’t go back in time and undo that test. That failure is on your record. 2: It is ONLY a failed fitness test. It is NOT an indictment against your worth as a human being.)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This one really "grinds my gears" (there is one for you); using the phrase "back slash" to describe a "forward slash".

I am noticing it on commercials that reference various web sites too! The madness has to stop!

/ = Forward Slash

\ = Backslash

Additionally, misusing the word "seen" bothers me.

That is all for now.......

NO!

There is no "forward slash". There is only slash or backslash.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    "If you can't handle a woman at her worst, you sure as hell don't deserve her at her best."

Yes. This. OMFG, THIS!! I see it on a daily basis being quoted by girls on facebook.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    "I can eat what I want." followed by "If it's in my macros."
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    "It is what it is."

Um, do you just like to hear your own voice, Captain Obvious?! :explode:
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Moar.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    "My bad."
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, and no offence, but nom nom nom is sometimes the legit way to express the that something is moist and tasty. Know what I mean? At the end of the day, I literally could care less what other people hate, seriously, this is my journey. But...I guess it is what it is, I'll just continue on in Beast Mode and continue winning, while all you haters are gonna hate, more pacifically hate on me. Just sayin' I'm keeping it real here...but whatevs!

KTHXBAI.

Hehehe!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This one really "grinds my gears" (there is one for you); using the phrase "back slash" to describe a "forward slash".

I am noticing it on commercials that reference various web sites too! The madness has to stop!

/ = Forward Slash

\ = Backslash

NO!

HA!

According to various sources, forward slash is a retronym!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

/ = Forward Slash

\ = Backslash

NO!

HA!

According to various sources, forward slash is a retronym!

Goddamn kids and their retronyms!! I'm gonna go put on some dungarees, hop in my horseless carriage and go take in a talkie, dammit!

Wait .. retronym .. does that mean only hipsters can call it a forward slash?
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "WalmartS" (How many are you visiting exactly?)
    "I have no ideal" (of grammar? Obviously, no.)
    Pronouncing "library" as lie berry.
    Referring to a driver's license, marriage license, etc. as "Them" or "They".
    Your instead of You're.
    Who cares? (Well, me. That's who. :smile: )
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    "WalmartS" (How many are you visiting exactly?)
    "I have no ideal" (of grammar? Obviously, no.)
    Pronouncing "library" as lie berry.
    Referring to a driver's license, marriage license, etc. as "Them" or "They".
    Your instead of You're.
    Who cares? (Well, me. That's who. :smile: )

Yes!! To all of the above.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hate
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a professor who if you use the word "like" around him, you get a firm talking too.

If he says "how are you?" and you respond with "good." You get another lecture. I once got away with it by saying that I was actually doing good - because I was tutoring a student for his exam at the moment, thus, actually "doing good."

I don't mind it though, he's a great professor and has made me be much more aware of my speaking habits.

Oh, and he's a math professor from Romania who studied in Scotland. Haha.
  • bthewes2
    bthewes2 Posts: 23
    Options
    it is what it is

Agreed on this one...Is it really...don't we have the power of choice and to change things...
  • rachey121
    rachey121 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YOLO.....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate, irregardless, and double negatives!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    YOLO.....

swag!
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nom
    partner when you're talking about my WIFE (we are not doing school work together)
    and the worst of all. . .

sassy

To me it's what you call the fat ugly chick when you can't think of anything else. Ugh.