Words/Phrases you HATE

Options

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

For what it's worth, I really don't mind "it is what it is". For me, it's always worked to express a combination of both finality and limited significance. (It is not going to change. There is nothing more to it that what you see. And don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. A molehill is a molehill.) Although I do suppose that the key is using it in an appropriate situation where one may be tempted to make a mountain out of that molehill or to try and find that there's something more to it.

i think a lot of times it is the over use and the misuse of phrases that lead to disliking a phrase. I know my distaste for "it is what it is" can be directly connected to when i actually listened to Mike & Mike on ESPN radio on my drive to work. Mike Greenberg killed that phrase for me.
  • wolverine66
    Options
    "Fustrated" (hello, there's another "r" in there)

don't forget "Flustrated" - the flustered/frustrated combo.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Nucular & Moist
  • wolverine66
    Options
    "No Problem"

When someone says "Thank You" the appropriate response is "You Are Welcome", the inappropriate response is "No Problem". When someone asks for something... "Will you hand me the Bryers All Natural Double Fudge Ice Cream Gallon Canister" the appropriate response is "Yes", or "Certainly", or even "Um, I think you need to reconsider that choice fat *kitten*", the inappropriate response is "No Problem". I am not exactly sure when "No Problem" became a suitable replacement for polite responses, but it does irk me just a bit.

i am guilty of this. i am trying to be more mindful, because i don't want people to think i am dismissing their thanks, but I have used it to let someone know that i didn't mind doing them a favor and it didn't put me out.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    yolo

sammich

zombies

supposebly (which isn't a word, but I hate it because some people think it is a word)

(what's with the "on my gap year" thing??? Am I missing something?)
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Kray kray........ I hear that and I wanna ***** slap someone
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everything is going to be all right.

It's ok.

NP
  • littlebeardedlifter
    littlebeardedlifter Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    just saying who ever started that should get beat
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I will punch her in the "Snoot"...

Wtf is a snoot...... def a redneck term.... hehe

I asked the person who said it; "what is a snoot", and they said you know, a nose...

no... a nose is a nose..
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Kray kray........ I hear that and I wanna ***** slap someone

OMG yes!! I worked with a co-worker all week in Vegas who uses that phrase. We were in VEGAS so imagine how many times I heard it!!!!! ahhh!!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    "If she [...], she wants the D."

"Hun" or "Honey" (because girls use it to be condescending).

"Just sayin'."

"YOLO"

"No offence, but... [catty unnecessary opinion on something you do or like]."

"Cray-cray."
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "retarded" because it upsets me.

I also hate "totes" "cray cray" and "baby" (when calling significant other baby)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options

zombies

What's wrong with zombies? Other than their flesh eating tendencies, of course...
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Blouse is an ugly word!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    "cos" in place of because... something that looks like it rhymes with boss can't possibly stand for cause.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    "YOLO"

1. It's stupid.
    2. It's constantly used as an excuse to do stupid things.
    3. It's hardly ever used correctly.
    4. It's stupid.

Used incorrectly: I just worked out without stretching first! YOLO.
    How it should be used: I always put on my seatbelt when I get in the car. YOLO.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ... And using "seen" instead of "saw." You didn't seen anything. But you sound like you've never seen an English class.
    Yes! I have too many friends that do this. I correct them every time and they still do not get it!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I agree on "cray cray" -- super annoying!

"totes": really annoying. Just say the whole damn word!

I think some people just try to be cute but they over-use abbreviations and they just end up sounding uneducated! I shouldn't have to google your status to know what you're trying to say. And if I have to do too much reading, I'll probably just unfriend. Haha!
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is so ( insert derogitory word) queer, *kitten*, gay and of course phat! and finally the statement ( That sucks!)

especially when used by straight people.

Really I don't know (that sucks) is a bad statement most guys I know are really into them.
  • missCherry1977
    missCherry1977 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    head over heals - my head is usually over my heels so what are they talking about?

diva- it's not a compliment.