is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options
I am trying to lose weight. The faster the better. I am on adipex and could go all day without eating. I am still eating because I know its bad for you to not eat at all. what about eating around 500 calories a day? according to the calculator on my page I could lose the weight alot quicker that way.
like today for example: breakfast 160 cal, lunch 350 cal and dinner have a salad 150 cal.
I know thats more than 500 but I just had the idea after I ate lunch.
like if you eat lettuce and stuff with little or no calories and still eat but only consume 500
what do you all think?

Replies

• The1iceQueen
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight. The faster the better. I am on adipex and could go all day without eating. I am still eating because I know its bad for you to not eat at all. what about eating around 500 calories a day? according to the calculator on my page I could lose the weight alot quicker that way.
    like today for example: breakfast 160 cal, lunch 350 cal and dinner have a salad 150 cal.
    I know thats more than 500 but I just had the idea after I ate lunch.
    like if you eat lettuce and stuff with little or no calories and still eat but only consume 500
    what do you all think?

Absolutely not. 500 calories is way too low.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. Not unless you want to end up in the hospital.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose a lot of muscle, destroy your metabolism long-term and harm your body, then yes! 500 calories is the way to go!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Nope.

That's barely enough to keep you functioning if you do nothing all day.

Looks like you have a child so you'll burn that up fast.
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    Yes... if you want to get very sick, start losing your hair, have no energy, etc.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I hope this is not a serious post...shaking head.

If it is, then the answer is no. You can no survive on 500 calories a day. Depending on your weight now and what you are used to eating you should not minus more than 500 or so at a time. Start slow, the weight will come off - maybe not as fast as you want but you didn't put it on in a fast time either, it more than likely took months.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, right? :huh:

If not...

No. It's not ok. Not even a little bit. :noway:
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    "The faster the better" is not a realistic way of looking at weight loss. You may lose, but you will gain it back. I'm hoping this is a joke, because 500 calories is insane.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you don't give your body enough food, it gets the calories from somewhere, including your muscles. The "muscle" category includes your heart.

Why do you think so many anorexics die of heart attacks?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Uuuummmmmm, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble:
  • okaymrman
    okaymrman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is a slippery slope to eat that little. I did that a few years ago, became obsessed with what I ate and dropped down to 95lbs. It was horrible. And technically it is anorexic. It took me a few years to get back to eating healthy. If you want to lose weight then at least eat around 1200 calories a day. Otherwise you can do some horrible things to your body.
  • Destinee704
    Destinee704 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree 500 calories is way to low and if you do not give your body enough calories or nutrition daily you will notice that the scale will not budge at all. Make sure you eat enough daily no less than 1200 calories if at all possible.
  • chevvy50
    chevvy50 Posts: 14
    Options
    no no no please dont that it so damaging and could lead to allsorts of mental and health problems ; ((
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You're body will end up using muscle tissue for energy before you lose any real fat. You'll be putting a ridiculous amount of strain on your body as it tries to function on so very little energy. I have no idea of your numbers, so I can't help you figure out what you should be eating. HOWEVER, as a mother of three you are, by default, active. Your body needs sufficient energy to function and at 500cal/day, you're not even getting enough to maintain a coma. Seriously. Your BMR is likely at least 1500 which means in order for your body to start shutting down, and I'm talking about if you were in a coma-no activity whatsoever, you need at least 1500 calories/day.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? I feel like you already know the answer, or at least you should.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never Ceases to amaze me.... Absolutely Not..... What is the need to get the weight off fast?? Why not lose it slowly and keep it off long term. This is a lifestyle not a diet.... Best of Luck......
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I say go for it.....let us know how you feel after a few weeks...then let us know how fast you gain it back after you finally crash. Good luck!!
  • wendylou224
    wendylou224 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is the way to go. You don't want to loose more than 2lbs a week. otherwise you are not being healthy. Not only will loosing too much too fast be bad for your body, your body will look sad, all wrinkled and saggy from the weight loss. slow is better cuz it gives your body time to firm up as you go.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to normally 'knock' anyone's opinions or what they're doing to diet but I'm a firm believe that anything under 1,300 calories a day is just too low. Your body needs food; needs its nutrition. You might lose weight with 500 calories being consumed but you'll also be finding yourself with other health risks occurring and once you do hit your goal weight and start eating 'normally,' you'll gain weight very quickly.
  • HoneyPie99
    Options
    No! No! No! You will loss muscle ..very bad for you!:noway:
This discussion has been closed.