is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You've got the gist already but under NO circumstance is 500 cals enough for an adult.

At MINIMUM you should be consuming 1200 cals (consisting of healthy/nutritious foods) -THIS IS A BASELINE then you add from there based on activity levels.

Please consult your doc! You're starving yourself and potentially causing permanent/irreversible damage.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat so few calories all the time. I'm on the 5:2 eating plan - intermittent fasting, which has good health benefits, but you eat 500 cals twice a week and what you want to eat for the other 5 days. I would never contemplate eating as little as 500/day all the time.

Seems kind of silly....
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sure....for breakfast, then again for lunch, and yet again for dinner..... Be smart.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    If your goal is to lose a lot of muscle, destroy your metabolism long-term and harm your body, then yes! 500 calories is the way to go!

^^THIS^^
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    NO IT IS NOT! NEVER EVER!!!

Give your head a shake...you have 3 children so do not starve yourself or prescribe to such an UNHEALTHY and potentially DEADLY way of life.

Read about anorexia and the problems associated with it.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Your profile states that you're "mother to 3 beautiful children"..........your're taking appetite suppressants and now want to drop your food intake to 500 cals??????? Sorry to be blunt but do you want to leave your 3 beautiful children without their mum???? :cry:
    NO :explode:
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right? This is MY FITNESS PAL... A site dedicated to help people realistically lose weight while becoming healthier and more physically fit. I seriously hope no one is condoning this.

If you're actually serious then shame on you. 1200 cals is as low as anyone should go. Period.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    ...my lunch is more than 500 calories...
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sure....for breakfast, then again for lunch, and yet again for dinner..... Be smart.

I love this!
  • danmenster
    danmenster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Losing fat doesn't mean starving or being hungry! If you do suffer one of these 2 states YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG girl!
    The rest has been posted quite up there!

To be honest, you don't seem to have any idea of how your body, metabolism and nutrition works. If you can afford it, you really should get in touch with an online coach (go get with someone who's competing as an NPC physique / bikini competitor or even a bodybuilder. someone with a bunch of experience with clients and on his own! these coaches are worth the money they charge to get you¨
    a) in the shape of your life without being hungry or starving and
    b) a basic knowledge to change your whole lifestyle

It's not about dieting, it's about changing your habits to a healthy life and eating all year round
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    No it's not okay to eat 500 calories a day. At all.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Listen to these wise people on here. Eating 500 cals a day will not only cause you to go into starvation mode and ultimately cause you to store more fat, you will be exhausted & grumpy and will not be taking enough nutrients your body needs to function correctly. Eat at least 1200 cals a day and no less!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If this is real and not a joke...you should seriously consult your physician. Voice your idea of eating 500 calories a day. Even though family physicians are NOT nutritionists, I imagine even they will tell you you're crazy and give you some more suggestions on how to lose weight safely.

Did you put all the weight on overnight? No? Then you can't expect to lose it as quickly as you want. The internet is clearly at your fingertips...google is your friend.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters way to low for you. even if its healthy calories you still need to eat more than 500 calories a day. I had a friend I went to school with who ate 500 calories a day she was so thin that her bones were sticking out of her skin. everyone was worried about her. it will damage your body very badly.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It sure is if your goal is to lose muscle, harm your organs, not fuel your body properly, and have no energy while looking pale and sick.

Otherwise, no it's not a good idea. It will be damaging to your body. You will not be fueling your body properly. You will not be giving your body enough calories for your organs to function.
  • Cindyt1987
    Cindyt1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my mom did a 500 calorie a day diet, sure it worked, but upon returning to a normal diet she has now gained back what she lost and then some.

so yes maybe you'll drop weight eating that low, but it won't last.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight. The faster the better. I am on adipex and could go all day without eating. I am still eating because I know its bad for you to not eat at all. what about eating around 500 calories a day? according to the calculator on my page I could lose the weight alot quicker that way.
    like today for example: breakfast 160 cal, lunch 350 cal and dinner have a salad 150 cal.
    I know thats more than 500 but I just had the idea after I ate lunch.
    like if you eat lettuce and stuff with little or no calories and still eat but only consume 500
    what do you all think?
    You wouldn't feed your children that way right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    500 calories is about 700-900 too low depending on your body type and current weight.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Honestly, get off the adipex. Get with a D.O,, full health work up, then have them set you up with a dietician. Just think how long it took to put the weight on, give your body time to take the weight off.

Do it the safe way. Doctor, dietician (meal plan) and a personal trainer. Period. Remember, dieting is not a 3, 4, 7, etc...week program. You change the way you eat for life, for your health and to be there for your kids.
This discussion has been closed.