and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bingo.

Unfortunately, some people don't live close to grocery stores and don't have a car, so they get stuck buying "groceries" from convenience stores. It would be nice if produce and other healthy items were more readily available, but it would take convincing grocery store owners to open stores in every neighborhood.
  • DoriGaga
    DoriGaga Posts: 96
    Options
    I think it depends on where you live. I never understood it because I have been fortunate enough to always have access to healthy food. But recently I have learned about "food deserts", which are places without access to grocery stores, it's a little scary, people who are (usually) low income, and live in places with no access to fresh food at reasonable prices, and sometimes no means to go someplace else to get it.

I am a huge believer that for the most part how we choose to eat is our choice, but for some people, the choice isn't really theirs, they have to eat what is available and what they can afford.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't know where those prices apply - but where I live, the pound of chicken alone would be close to the $6 mark. I agree that you can eat healthy for less than eating junk, though you have to have enough money to do a little advance shopping - if you have only $5 to your name, you're not getting much at my local grocery store.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    If you get lucky, you can find the chicken at $0.98/lb. My husband and I did a few weeks ago and thank goodness payday had just passed because we got at least 2 months worth of chicken off of that deal. Otherwise, chicken is around $5/lb here so we would have to find protein elsewhere.

For the most part though, it can seem to be more expensive. Since you are buying fresh foods, they either go bad before you eat them (waste of money) or you have to go to the store more frequently (waste of gas money).
  • silverainn
    Options
    Definitely depends on where you live. Here, something similar to the top picture would be around (the equivalent of) $10, while the bottom picture would be $40+.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you get lucky, you can find the chicken at $0.98/lb. My husband and I did a few weeks ago and thank goodness payday had just passed because we got at least 2 months worth of chicken off of that deal. Otherwise, chicken is around $5/lb here so we would have to find protein elsewhere.

For the most part though, it can seem to be more expensive. Since you are buying fresh foods, they either go bad before you eat them (waste of money) or you have to go to the store more frequently (waste of gas money).

we always buy walmarts marked down chicken breasts. We never pay more then .90 an lb
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Even when we buy cage free, open range meats we get them on sale and it isn't that much more than other brands. Tie that in with the savings we get buys fruits, veggies, and grains in bulk and it is pretty cheap really. Not just compared to proceed frozen foods, but really low compared to going out to eat.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    72631_508637315844559_1151545860_n.jpg
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I still think it cost more :(... where i live anyway -.-... Its only going up O_O.. eggs were 4$ when i came here a year ago.. now its 8.99$ >.<
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    72631_508637315844559_1151545860_n.jpg

I wish... in Alaska the grapes would be almost 4 dollars a pound
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hard to guage for me, because we deal in kilos, but a lot of that stuff looks a lot cheaper than what we're able to get it for. I know that a kilo of chicken breasts here (in South East QLD) costs usually between $8 - $10 a kilo. Bananas are cheapish right now, but still between $2 - $4 a kilo, depending on weekly specials. The cheapest meat we usually have here is beef mince/ground beef and I can get half a kilo of the average stuff (not lean) for about $3 - $4.

I really dislike this kind of advertising, as it doesn't take into account locality. The prices for those things probably even vary differently from state to state.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your so right. Even by me the sell fruit bread milk and eggs at convenient store. Chicken is more but you van buy canned tuna for cheap. I buy meat on msrkdown. Since I eat more fresh and less process or fast g iood. I am never short on food. Thank God salads cheap.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg

Or for $10 you could buy 8 Totino's pizzas! Or 10 McChickens!

:)
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    Holy Cow I wish food was that cheap!! Are those prices from about 10 years ago?? We eat mostly very healthy. We actually had that exact chicken tonight- except it's over $2/lb. Bananas- hmmm we buy those a lot and I admit I almost never check prices but I think for a bunch of bananas I spend close to $2. You get my point- even shopping at the commissary (which is about half the cost of our local grocery stores) our prices are at least double and the frozen crap is about the same as the price on there. I think for a giant box of 20 corn dogs is only $5. But we still choose to eat healthy.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't know where those prices apply - but where I live, the pound of chicken alone would be close to the $6 mark. I agree that you can eat healthy for less than eating junk, though you have to have enough money to do a little advance shopping - if you have only $5 to your name, you're not getting much at my local grocery store.

That was my question. Here at Wal-Mart the smallest things of chicken costs 5 or 6 dollars. Bunch of bananas another 2 or 3. That sort of thing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg

At my local grocery stores, that chicken would be at least $4.50 by itself, plus $2.50 for the bread, $1.25 for the bananas, and $2 for the carrots. That's $10.25.

Not that eating healthy is necessarily that expensive, but eating fast food and frozen food is not only cheap but extremely convenient. I've made no bones about it that I eat a lot of frozen food and fast food. That's not as much about economy as it is about convenience and time.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I spend $50 per week on groceries at Whole Foods, all organic and natural foods, all vegetarian. It might cost more money than what I used to pay for Kraft Dinner and Hot Pockets but at the expense of my health.. and that is infinitely more valuable to me.
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There is no way you could buy that in Australia for that price.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

That was my question. Here at Wal-Mart the smallest things of chicken costs 5 or 6 dollars. Bunch of bananas another 2 or 3. That sort of thing.

Exactly - the other picture claims a pound of grapes for .88 (88cents?!). Grapes are about $4.00 a lb here. Maybe at the discount market (where the quality is often not as good and the shelf life is 1/2) it's $1 / $1.50 cheaper, but still not .88 cents. I'd love to know where this market is. LOL
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not only are the prices wrong but the picture is insinuating you will get all the food shown for under $7. If I could find that pack of chicken for under $1 I would be dead from shock.