and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options

Replies

• bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It really does. My husband and I spend around $200 at the grocery store every week. We eat a TON of fresh veggies and they cost A LOT and we eat a ot of chicken/ground turkey and that also costs a lot. I try to stock up on boneless skinless chicken when it's 1.99/pound but ground turkey is like 6.99/pound. I'm sure there are ways for us to lower our grocery bill, but I haven;t found any. I even tried cuponing for a bit and I have a hard time finding them for healthy food, and I refuse to go to every grocery store in town just to save 20 cents.
  • silverainn
    Options
    Coupons aren't common where I live, and usually for junk food, things like frozen pizza. Shops advertise deals through post, but again, it's usually meat (which I don't eat) and junk food. There are unfortunately no large wholesale-type shops, only local grocery stores, and a couple of immigrant shops downtown.. the prices don't vary much between shops. No farmers' markets (there would have to be farmland for that!), no bulk buying. You can buy berries and a few other things from stalls downtown in late summer, but it's definitely not cheaper. Some of the shops in the biggest cities have bulk prices, but they're usually far from public transport (and a lot of people my age don't own cars), and there's nothing like that in my city anyway.

Here are some sample sales from a recent mailing:
    chicken - 108/kg ($19), bacon - 250/kg ($44), smoked salmon - 233/kg ($41)
    meat cakes - 68/kg ($12), boxed tex-mex 40% off (can make a meal under $10), frozen pizza 40% off (under $8)
    cookies - 3 for 2, ice cream 40% off, sodas - 5 for 3 (most of these items are pretty cheap vs calories)
    plums - 40/kg ($7), small mango 15 ($2.60)

The fruit on sale is decently priced, but often bad quality (very unripe, or already rotten). The only vegetable listed is asparagus, at 67/kg ($11.70). And these are sales. Several studies have been done, and concluded it's about 40% more expensive to eat healthy here than to eat "normal" food.. and that's similar to what we've experienced in comparing food costs with friends, possibly more like 50% since we've moved to a smaller city. We eat as healthy as we can afford as students, but have to give up things like a social life and hobbies for it :)

I realize cost of living is different where I live, but it's still a huge obstacle for people on a limited budget (like students).
  • loic901
    loic901 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lol 98 cent/ pound of chicken breast? wtf
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg

banana 69cent/ pound ( when on special ) here
    chicken breast 3,49/pound ( when on special ) here
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious.

I choose to eat healthy, but it does NOT help my wallet.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Errrrr where do you go shopping. I have never seen Chicken breast to be 98 cents a pound.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky that I live in a place where we have access to an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies year round. And, I live in the country so there are always farmers markets and I can go down the street and pick my own apples and berries or buy raw milk. Plus, I garden.

It makes me sad to see that people live in food deserts. It makes me want to load up a truck with fresh produce and bring it to them. Frozen fruit and veggies are pretty healthy though, I hope that they can at least get that!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how these things differ. I tried to price up the "healthy" foods in the UK at Tesco, and even doing my best to take advantage of multibuys, "value" ranges and special offers, it came to over £10 (about $15?). I couldn't find the taquitos, but an 8-pack of sausage rolls (for instance) is £1.19 ($1.81).
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Where I live, there is no such thing as a pound of chicken breast for $0.98, or bananas for $0.48! Actually none of those prices would be right except the bread, and I don't eat bread.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    There is no way you could buy that in Australia for that price.

Or the UK. The chicken would be a minimum of 8.49/ lb or 12.99/ kg.
  • Kamile69
    Kamile69 Posts: 87
    Options
    Definitely depends on where you live. Here, something similar to the top picture would be around (the equivalent of) $10, while the bottom picture would be $40+.
    I have to agree, a pound of chicken here is definately more. I'd be looking at $15-20.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I wish whole foods were that cheap in the Washington DC area.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You could do a comparison here of anything and turn it around:

£1 pizza x 2
    £1 burgers x 4
    £0.5 chocolate bar
    £0.5 bag of crisps

v

£2 punnet of strawberries.
    £1 cucumber

It completely depends on what you spend your money on; some things are cheaper or more expensive on both sides of the scale.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I see people here in the UK going to Iceland (frozen store where most things are like £2 pizza etc), and their trollies are piled high. Then I go to a normal supermarket and probably may less for more and healthier foods :/

I buy frozen sweetcorn and things I don't use as much, and freeze bread as there's no way I can eat a whole loaf in a few days.

I spend £15-£30 a week on food on average for one person. Last week I spent £33 getting olive oil, toilet rolls and things I don't need to get every week, and this week I'll only pay about £15 for veggies, salad and pasta sauce.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    god if things would be that cheap i would be a millionare...seriously. i spend around 1000€month for food (/for 3, sometimes 4 persons)
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    If more people would learn to grow food the price would no longer be a point. I can spend .98cents-$2.75 for a pack of seeds and grow an entire Summers worth of food and STILL have enough to can and preserve for over the Winter.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    In Houston,TX, on a good week i can probably come close to the prices OP shows. I just bought a three pound pckage of chicken breasts for $1.98, and a seeven pound package of chicken drumsticks for $3.98.

But i can get that package of taquitos, on sale for about $2.50 ....for me, junk food at supermarket vs "good" food is breakeven $ wise, but healthwise -- priceless.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    OK...idk where you live, BUT I cannot buy chicken that cheap anywhere around here. To get chicken breast around here I'm spending more the the $6.something the entire bundle cost!. For someone who just started buying more fresh fruits and veggies along with more chicken, my grocery bill has increased by at least $40 every time I go. I get the same amount of food, ditched a lot of food I was buying. For me, where I live, it is most definitely more expensive. Its hard on one income since I stay at home with my baby.
  • ElloSweetie
    ElloSweetie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Would be a more effective post if the food prices were anywhere near reality.
    But I still eat the healthy shiz.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg

This would cost me about $18.50 in my area :laugh:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    72631_508637315844559_1151545860_n.jpg

Again...about $14 in my area :laugh: