and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    hahahahahhahahaa this is a joke, right?

1 pound of chicken breasts here alone is 5.99. -_-
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can get those groceries for about $12.
    Still more filling and healthier than the 'frozen box' food.
    That being said I shop carefully and eat very well on $40 a week.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    72631_508637315844559_1151545860_n.jpg

I wish... in Alaska the grapes would be almost 4 dollars a pound
    Sometimes in California grapes are 4 dollars a pound - for California grapes! :explode: But shopping around and local farmers markets are a blessing!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg

I'm in NC, and I just bought a little over 1 pound of chicken breasts. They cost over $9. This is full of it. I am not saying I don't agree with the idea, but not the data in it.
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I'm in NC, and I just bought a little over 1 pound of chicken breasts. They cost over $9. This is full of it. I am not saying I don't agree with the idea, but not the data in it.

Plus, 4 ears of fresh corn would cost you almost $0.50 a piece right now. If you are trying to make an important point, don't BS.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow I wish food was that cheap!! Are those prices from about 10 years ago?? We eat mostly very healthy. We actually had that exact chicken tonight- except it's over $2/lb. Bananas- hmmm we buy those a lot and I admit I almost never check prices but I think for a bunch of bananas I spend close to $2. You get my point- even shopping at the commissary (which is about half the cost of our local grocery stores) our prices are at least double and the frozen crap is about the same as the price on there. I think for a giant box of 20 corn dogs is only $5. But we still choose to eat healthy.

i coupon, so i can get those foods for even cheaper then whats listed there :)
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Plus, 4 ears of fresh corn would cost you almost $0.50 a piece right now. If you are trying to make an important point, don't BS.

It grows local here, and I can get it .10 an ear.
  • dailyfunshine
    dailyfunshine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YEAH! :) Love this!!!
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I miss America!! 1 pound of chicken in Australia is around the $4-5 mark. I bought 4 ears of corn today on special and they came to $3.98. Sigh.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    That list would run ~$25 where I am.

I remember those prices too vividly. I lived elsewhere for a bunch of years, and it took me a while to get over sticker shock when I came back. (The mental arithmetic felt different in a different currency, somehow.)
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    Where do you go you buy 1 lb. of chicken for 98 cents?
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    Totally agree. Data, BS
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    $6.39?
  • JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of California's Central Valley and I can't find those prices here at either the Supermarkets or the local Farmer's Markets. Corn at the Farmer's Markets around here goes for at least a dollar an ear. That chicken is around seven dollars. Grapes are almost always 2.99 a pound at least. Going organic is even more crazy expensive, at least twice the price of non-organic! I'm lucky if I can find things on sale or if I can find a coupon for the food. We don't eat junk very often but the graphics aren't true!
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Chicken costs $17/kg where I live. Bananas cost $10/kg. A loaf of bread is $5.

What fantasy land do these people think we live in?

Sorry, but my food budget has effectively DOUBLED since I started eating more healthy.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't know where ya'll live but even in my small town bananas cost more than a bag of chips. Fresh fruit and veggies are more expensive than junk food. My husband and I went from a junk food diet to clean eating two month ago and yes, we save money by not buying soda, but our grocery bill is actually higher now, than it was when we ate junk.

We buy a bag of boneless skinless chicken that lasts about 2 days and that alone costs 10 dollars. Add in all the fruit and veggies and we spend about 600 dollars a month on food now, all clean and all healthy. There are 4 of us, (we have two children) but we were spending about 400 a month before eating clean.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to make an important point, don't BS.

This. And it's a stupid comparison anyway because noone would buy a box of coke as a meal. Where I am (Tokyo) it is MUCH cheaper to eat convenience foods rather than healthy whole foods. To say otherwise is lying - unless of course you start factoring in health and environmental costs.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I definitely can't speak for other countries, but Americans, where are you shopping? Of course if you go to your local Giant, Publix, Wegmans, (insert expensive local grocery store here) prices are going to be through the roof. I am not trying to be mean or accuse, but have you guys complaining read local sale flyers lately? Gone online to look for deals and coupons? Walmart usually has chicken for around a dollar a pound, so does Aldi and Bj's (although you have to buy in bulk). You won't be able to get organic for these prices but you can get decent quality healthy food. I do 75% of my grocery shopping at Walmart in Pennsylvania and I can tell you these prices are 100% accurate (except for the grapes, those are 2.44 a pound, but they aren't in season either.)

Look around. Check flyers. Check farmers markets. Check mass merchandisers instead of the local grocery stores. Get a club card and buy stuff in bulk if it's financially feasible. If you have an Aldi or a Save A Lot go there (hey, they are ghetto but the prices are worth it). Sometimes it might cost a little in gas, or you might have to buy more in bulk, but it's your health and it's worth it. If you want something you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse.
  • Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My grocery bill has definitely gone up since my husband and I started eating healthier. I try to stick to sale items and plan my meals around them but it's not always possible.