What do you eat when you're starving but short on calories?

Replies

• littlegumnut
    littlegumnut Posts: 18 Member
    I always have a supply of miso soup, some rice balls and a large bowl of kinpira in fridge. They are my 'go-to's' when I'm peckish :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Pickles.
  • aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    popcorn
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Campbells or Progresso light soups. Usually 160-200 cals for an entire can/bowl of soup, and you can get some veggies and protein in. Lettuce wraps with deli meat and avacado, tomato, or light ranch for flavor and moisture are rediculously low cal. Add some cucumber or bell pepper for some crunch if you like.

I do have to agree with the people telling you to eat though. Make sure you get plenty of protein and a decent amount of fat, or you will never feel full. Your body is trying to replace very nutrient dense blood, and needs the proper fuel.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Something with fat and protein to keep you full. Screw the calorie restriction - your body is begging for fuel. Also, consider something with a lot of iron, since that is likely what your body is trying to get during this time.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    If I'm starving... I eat. It's better to go over a few hundred calories than a few thousand. I find if I starve myself I'm far, far more likely to go and binge later.

That's just me though.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Greek yogurt, nonfat plain. Usually sweetened with real stevia extract ( not REB A):)
    Or steamed veggies with a touch of cheese is really satisfying to me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It only happens a couple days a month really! And it's not even at 'that' time, but 2 weeks before. Every single month. Then I'm just fine eating under goal for 3 weeks.

But there are a ton of great ideas here, so thank you very much! I won't let myself starve!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    EAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Your body is telling you it needs to eat.If you are really starving, eat.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Veggies.

Baby Carrots are my go to in a situation like that.
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Peanut butter on a spoon!
    ^^ hard thing about that is, most can't really stop at one spoon!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Chicken Caesar salad with Parmesan, croutons, romaine lettuce grilled chicken, and Caesar dressing. About 350-500 calories.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    APPLE. 1 APPLE WILL LAST YOU QUITE SOME TIME. sORRY caps lock...
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    During my TOM I usually end up eating back my exercise calories (which I know is debated whether you should or should not, I usually only eat half or none and have had great results) but I also have gotten into having a cup of tea if I feel snackish ^_^
  • I don't usually have the problem of starving and short on calories because I plan my meals each night before for the next day. If I did I suppose these items 1 or 2 pickles,1 cup of broccoli with parmesan cheese, boiled egg, Carb Quik biscuit, I have pre-made up,
    a few tablespoons of PB2, low carb PB2 peanut butter balls, sugar free jello.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    EAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Your body is telling you it needs to eat.If you are really starving, eat.

THIS!! :smile: Just eat something that you won't regret! If you search the forum for 100 snack you might find something? There is a list somewhere of 100 x 100 calorie snack ideas :-)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    One of the problems with how MFP is set up, in my opinion, is the "reward" when you are under your calorie goal (the way your update gets posted to your wall). The point of a calorie goal is to reach that goal. So at the end of the day, 0 remaining calories should actually get you star stickers and bonus points. But it's announced on your wall same as if you went over your calorie goal.

And as others have said, going over isn't the end of the world. I try to stay within 200 calories of my goal (up or down). Better to view calorie intake over the course of a week or month, not each day. Each day's calories are simply data points making up the whole picture.

Low cal/high protein stuff that is filling - eggs, cottage cheese, etc. - are good for snacks when you're at or over your calorie goal. If you are hungry eat. Go for a walk and increase your calories if you want. But eat.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    During my TOM I get really hungry too, and I don't bother with a calorie deficit. I eat my TDEE amount. If I'm hungrier, I eat more. A few days per month really don't matter so much, especially if there is a deficit every other day of the month. If you feel bad/guilty, simply work out more afterwards... No point going hungry. I haven't ever gained weight as a result of eating more during TOM or on random days when I end up eating 2000+ cals.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Personally I do overate at that time and just eat when I'm hungry, but lately I have found it's due to me needing more water/liquid during that time.

Try more water and tea. If you are still hungry, grab fruit or something.

I personally love freezing gogurts and snacking on them. Like 70 cals
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm rarely hungry but strong black coffee is the best appetite surpresser