Do your partners/family give you support or not?

Options

Replies

• KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    My husband and most of my family have been incredibly supportive. My husband doing some grocery shopping when at the last minute I need something to round out my macros and BBQing on the grill outside all winter long, working out with me for a while and supporting all the money I've spent on eating healthier and buying weight stuff so I can do my workouts at home where I prefer. I'm a very lucky girl.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    my hubbs says, "nothing!!!" it really hurts my feelings!!!!!!!!!!! however, my sister Debbie keeps telling me how beautiful I am. I swear its the ones we love most that don't support us. Although, I like what someone else said on one of the comments. This has to be our journey, and we should, "own it!" I am very sad about my hubbs though. I really wish he would at least compliment me once in a while. Furthermore, he never complimented me when I was 140lbs, so i guess it's not in his nature. i do remember one time when i was 120lbs he said i was sexy. seriously? is that what it takes?!!!! that is not reality. that was 14 years ago, when i was 26 years old. well, friend me if you would like. we can talk via messages....
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    my fiance is super super supportive. we work out together, we have both changed our outlook on food and having him working hard along side me has really made me a more determined person.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing support system. My husband is on MFP as well as most of my in-laws. My immediate family is also very supportive.

Even if you don't have direct support you have the people here. Find a group or people who will be willing to ask about your day and give advice. It is not easy, and if everyone is struggling why not struggle together.
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    he trys but he doesnt get the whole if you have leftover cals..who says i cant have ice cream he automatically thinks im cheating or something! drives me crazy...i also try n cook most meals because he looks to add olive oil to eevvvvvveeeerrryyyy thing!

LOL. My husband does the SAME thing!!!! I measure out everything, and pain-stakingly enter my dinners into recipes. When my husband is trying to be nice and offers to cook, I often say thanks but no thanks.
    I want to know exactly what I am eating! =+)
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    my hubby is super supportive and goes to the gym with me and has cut a lot of junk food out himself. He supports me every step of the way. He also never says things like "I want you to be thin", instead will say "I want you to be healthy".

my mom on the other hand, always has something to say about weight loss (as if I don't know I need to lose weight) and is the first to complain when I don't have 3 helpings of food when i go to her house!
  • Kristi858
    Kristi858 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I get so proud of myself for the miles that I'm running, and my friends/family act like its no big deal. They try to make me cheat on my diet but then make me feel bad when I do. It sucks! Vent here all you like. We'll listen. :)

Keep up the great work! You are doing an amazing job!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Well, mine is usually supportive. But even if he wasn't, it's my goal, not his. Frankly, I don't care what he thinks of it or whether he supports me. It's something I do for me.:smile:
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am taking on this journey with my husband. We found out that together we can accomplish anything. In addition, it makes cooking much simpler. Our three teenagers that live at home are also on this journey with us because I refuse to cook for them separately. I figure they will pick up healthy habits that way too.
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Mine brings me double stuffed cookies and candies all the time...
    He is the LAZIEST man I have ever met and REFUSES to work out or even walk and when I do get him out the door its..."Youre walking too fast, Im tired, Im hungry, weve been gone to long"...This is on a 20 minute walk. RIDICULOUS!!! Its effecting our sex life..He NEVER wants in and I ALWAYS DO!!! Im finally feeling good about my self and have no one to share it with. I am at my witts end..All he does is play video games for hours on end. HE IS 38 YEARS OLD...God help me before I punch him in the nose~
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    He is my running partner. All those little things we never get time to talk about, we do it whilst running. We both work full time and are have a very busy lifestyle so that's our "together" time.
    He is not just supportive in regards of my health and fitness but for everything else in my life.
    For instance I hate shopping for clothes so he buys all my clothes and shoes. A lot of people find that strange but he does have better taste than me. I am hopeless.Sometimes I tease him and tell me that he is my mother. He has a very nurturing nature.

I am his best friend. But he isn't mine.
    But he is my support system. I guess the key to a happy healthy relationship is to have the right balance of communication.
    I don't know but it works with us.
  • laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know this is a lot easier when my mother is doing it too.
  • kperez79
    kperez79 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have NO support at all!!!! My hubby does not help me with dieting and he likes to help me eat snacks at night...makes my a HUGE bowl of ice cream or cereal. I need to learn how to tell him NO
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    In first response, my wife couldn't be more supportive. I started on MFP a couple of weeks before her, but both of us needed to lose weight we had gained in our time together. Since July 2012, we've lost a combined 90 pounds. I'm sure we've lost more fat weight as our muscle tone has developed and she has really transformed her body. The increased glances she gets will cause a second or two of annoyance, almost jealousy. But then just being honest with myself that I felt it seems to be enough to make me see how silly I am about it. Not really the jealous type, I can see how this momentary annoyance I can understand how it could be much more of a problem for someone more jealous.

It could also be a case of someone who doesn't want to see another person's progress. Seeing you make healthier choices might be causing him to confront his only health issues and it is something he doesn't want to do. It reminds me of the quote, "Any *kitten* can break down a barn, it takes a good person to build one." Remember you are building a barn, y7ou're doing the work and while your husband is probably a great guy, right now he's being a jack *kitten*. Don't let that stop your progress.

I think you need to develop a support network and realize home is not part of it...for now. Remember, your success may stop being intimidating and instead become a place of inspiration.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not really- my BF always annoys me saying I eat too little (I'm on a 1240cal per day and feel great) or I over-think my food options too much...
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have to "weigh" in here. . . . get it???

Seriously, my hubby doesn't get it at all! In the past he was like the food police and had a comment or a "look" for everything I ate, even healthy stuff that he didn't understand. . . like avacodo. It was very frustrating, he knew I did a LOT of research, etc., but was still very critical.

This time it is about me. . . I don't care what he thinks. This time he is overweight!!! He no longer is in construction and the weight has really piled on and he has a different outlook. He has even gone downstairs and gotten on the tread a few times and is paying attention to what he eats, he still eats everything he shouldn't but he is paying attention!!

I had a significant NSV on Saturday and was so excited to show him. . . his response was 'okay". Okay? Are you kidding? I don't think he was being unkind, he just doesn't get it! He later (several hours) gave me a hug and said that he knows how hard I am working and was proud. . . . but I still felt slighted for a bit about his initial response.

This time, it doesn't bother me when he is either supportive or critical, I know that what I am doing is "right" and it is for life. He will have to catch up someday!!! :bigsmile:

Do this for you, don't let the naysayers convince you that you can't do this, take each day and make it work for you!!! :glasses:
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Well, mine is usually supportive. But even if he wasn't, it's my goal, not his. Frankly, I don't care what he thinks of it or whether he supports me. It's something I do for me.:smile:

I agree mostly with this.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking and most of the shopping. My spouse whined at first, but his choices were eat it or cook something else. He's learned to eat it and enjoy it. Mine spouse says he loves me either way. He doesn't compliment me as a rule of thumb but occasionally he comments on all my hard work. He sometimes brings junk food in the house but I'm pretty good at distracting myself. He is finding that junk food is now making him sick because he's not used to it. It's getting easier with him everyday. He is even starting to lose weight too. Every weekend I ask him to exercise, he used to say no, but now he says he's buying runners...yay.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I don't require it.
    This is my thing. Nobody elses.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's like anything in life...we have a choice to let other people's actions bother us or not. If we are upset it's only US that's causing ourselves to feel that way.

I hope this resonates with you.

Good luck.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!