Back fat

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    the latest research shows that bodies burn more around the muscles that are being used. which makes sense really.
    everyone thought spot reducing was dangleberries for years and then some smart alec researcher proves otherwise!

if i wasn't so lazy i'd search for the study.
    meh, i'm not that lazy after all. though, 2006? cripes time flies!

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/2/E394.full

and it makes sense really. for the body to use the most convenient energy. and with the blood flow in that area increased by the exercise.
  • glovepuppet
    the latest research shows that bodies burn more around the muscles that are being used. which makes sense really.
    everyone thought spot reducing was dangleberries for years and then some smart alec researcher proves otherwise!

"More recently, in a 2007 study led by the University of Connecticut, 104 participants completed a twelve-week supervised resistance-training program in which their non-dominant arm was selectively exercised. MRI assessments of subcutaneous fat before and after the program revealed that fat loss tended to be generalized, rather than only occurring in the trained arm."

"Ultimately, fat loss comes down not to targeted exercises, but to the basic principle of how many calories you expend versus how many you take in. Doing 100 crunches a day can effectively strengthen your abdominal muscles, but it probably will not make them any more visible unless you also take other steps to reduce your overall body fat."

Quoted from Yale Scientific Magazine:
    http://www.yalescientific.org/2011/04/targeted-fat-loss-myth-or-reality/
    woot! contradictory research!

now i really REALLY am to lazy to read this at 6:30am.
    really.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    "Unfortunately, research evidence does not support localized, exercise for spot reduction or the use of topical creams, heat, massage, wraps, magnet therapy, and electrical stimulation for localized fat reduction."

(It goes into studies and such..but I'd say go get the book if you really want to get into that)

McArdle, W.D., Katch, F.I., & Katch, V.L. (2006). Essentials of Exercise Physiology. (3rd Ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, MD.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214

I believe this to be true just based on my personal experience. I did type this originally, but deleted it. I think you're right.
  • glovepuppet

I believe this to be true just based on my personal experience. I did type this originally, but deleted it. I think you're right.
    i want to do a study into boob lopsidedness & left/right handedness! i have a feeling that the smaller boob is on the side of the dominant hand, because more calories get burnt by that arm. even if it turns out to be rot it'd be a hell of a laugh! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member

and it makes sense really. for the body to use the most convenient energy. and with the blood flow in that area increased by the exercise.
    While the study did prove that "spot reducing" was possible, the amount of fat lost wasn't significant or measurable. It would take a tremendous amount of time (not to mention the subjects were fasted for 12 hours and no caffeinated drinks or alcohol were consumed) and this study is based on the blood flow of one leg at a time for exercise up to 120 minutes in duration. In about 1000 years (this was mentioned in the other thread) that spot reducing would show.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glovepuppet

While the study did prove that "spot reducing" was possible, the amount of fat lost wasn't significant or measurable. It would take a tremendous amount of time (not to mention the subjects were fasted for 12 hours and no caffeinated drinks or alcohol were consumed) and this study is based on the blood flow of one leg at a time for exercise up to 120 minutes in duration. In about 1000 years (this was mentioned in the other thread) that spot reducing would show.
    1000 years of one legged running...
    it seems a tad excessive.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Probably best to start with the basics. No spot reducing, and OP, if you're a beginner, no spot training. To reiterate what everyone else said, strength train your entire body with compound work while eating in a deficit.

^^this
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Oh is back fat reduction gong to be a daily recurring thread now?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Just don't bring up orange peel!
  • Sunny____

LMAO on orange peels. You're going to "get it" for that from someone.
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    So, everyone and their mother has said you can't spot reduce. Pretty sure we've all established that fact.

To TONE my upper back, I like to do shoulder and back strength training... Rows of all sorts - seated rows, row machine, bent over db rows, bent over barbell row, cable rows, etc.; lat pull downs (cable or fixed bar), shrugs, delt raises, rear delt/back flyes, pull ups, etc. Bottom line though, you need to cut. If you're already skinny, then lift heavy stuff and you should start to see some change. :)
  • Sunny____

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I have not read any studies on this, but I am a massage therapist. Starting this job my arms went from "okay" to absolutely incredible" and I have gained 30 lbs of fat during my 7 yrs in the industry due to a poor diet and inconsistent working out. Too much wine and two years of unbelievable stress. However, if you saw my arms you would maybe compliment me. I get a lot of compliments on them. That is what makes me think there is something to spot reducing workouts. I get fatter everywhere, but my arms get leaner than they ever have been in their lives. Also when I walk a ton in the summer but again have poor habits, you could literally not grab anything excess on my legs. They are like rocks (I challenged someone to try). My trainer tried and said it was rare that this happens considering. Yet my stomach and back, etc are way over what is considered healthy. I am in the "overweight category". Do I have muscular arms? But where did the fat on my arms go? I am older. Big arms run in my family on the women's side to an alarming and disgusting rate. But mine aren't. It has me thinking.
  • Loved1s
    Loved1s Posts: 33 Member
    Back fat!
    according to my physical therapist...
    Women have a tendency to stand with shoulders slumped in either because of the weight of their breasts, in an effort to minimize the breasts, or due to plain old bad posture. This causes poor posture and the body begins to develop back muscles to support the frame. Often, women find it is very difficult to reduce "back fat" because the problem is actually back muscle.... With fat on top (lol). After my PT told me this I began checking out womens posture and i'd say 9.9 times out of ten the women and young ladies i observed were in fact hunching their shoulders in and curved down. That being said, STAND UP STRAIGHT, shoulders back, chest out!!! Eat at a deficit! Cut the processed foods out as much as possible! Exercise, strength train, and work on strengthening your core to hold up your body so your back doesn't have to! That's my two cents worth...
  • Loved1s
    Back fat!
    Women have a tendency to stand with shoulders slumped in either because of the weight of their breasts, in an effort to minimize the breasts, or due to plain old bad posture. This causes poor posture and the body begins to develop back muscles to support the frame. Often, women find it is very difficult to reduce "back fat" because the problem is actually back muscle.... With fat on top (lol). After my PT told me this I began checking out womens posture and i'd say 9.9 times out of ten the women and young ladies i observed were in fact hunching their shoulders in and curved down. That being said, STAND UP STRAIGHT, shoulders back, chest out!!! Eat at a deficit! Cut the processed foods out as much as possible! Exercise, strength train, and work on strengthening your core to hold up your body so your back doesn't have to! That's my two cents worth...

Aw jeez... Please excuse grammatical errors. This was a first draft!????
  • Sunny____
    Back fat!
    You are correct with the posture thing with girls and women. I noticed that too. I am a massage therapist and my women have rounded shoulders more than my men. However, many men have it too from being slumped over a computer. It is the sign of our technological times. BTW, did you know you can edit a post once it goes up. So you can then correct your errors that you notice later. Do you see the edit button?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    to get rid of back fat: lower your body fat percentage. see the "road map" thread for how to do that

to have a really fantastic looking back: pendlay rows (as part of a full body programme of lifting)
  • Loved1s
    @Sunny... I see it now! Thanks! Still getting used to forums...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Eat a small calorie deficit to decrease body fat while following this:
    Ok, here are your step by step instructions:

1. Read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915825-awesome-backs-lets-see-it

2. Be inspired

3. Read thread again, this time focusing on the routines (pretty much all strength training) others are doing to get their backs to look this way. This will be the most difficult step because all of the great pictures will be distracting. There are words in there, though.

4. Head to the gym after watching a few videos regarding compound barbell lifts

5. Repeat as necessary for desired result.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Nor thigh gaps.

To the Original Poster (OP): Unfortunately you asked this after a particularly stupid posting thread went on for 100s of posts, where that OP asked a similar question, and disagreed with all the knowledgeable responses for 12 pages. Another thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915825-awesome-backs-lets-see-it ) was started to post pictures from some of those knowledgeable responders of their successes.

Basically, as you've been told here.
    * You cannot spot reduce.
    (Spot exercises can actually be bad for you by "unbalancing" the strength in your body.)
    To get rid of "back fat",
    * Eat at a deficit (lose overall fat).
    * Do strength training.

I'm defining "knowledgeable responders" by those who did the research and made life changes that made their backs look good. (I'm not there yet, but these people have helped many and proved over time that they know what they're writing about and can support it with peer-reviewed research and experience.)

Edited to Add (ETA): Even muscular bodies won't look "tight" or "toned" when there is lots of fat giggling around the muscles. And skinny bodies usually don't look good without a reasonable amount of muscle to "define" or shape them. So just losing weight without exercise will probably not result the way you want. (The amount of muscle and definition is a personal preference.)